Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options

I would love to do Notts 5 but I think the logistics will prove insurmountable.

Hope you get better soon DT. Everyone around me is ill at the moment, and I am hoping that the two days I felt knackered last week were the beginning and end of it. Unfortunately while I was doing the dishes my back went into a spasm and so  tonight's run is cancelled and it's starting to look like another cutback week.

Well done on Ryton, McF. You seem to have had plenty of miles in your legs recently so perhaps just not enough taper to feel really sharp.

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

I'm signed up to Notts 5, lit.

DT it's on 20th July http://www.run-nottingham.co.uk/5-miles/4586384709 Flat course, 2 laps, potential to be impacted by the wind as it's on the embankment.

Muddy - how about the Harborough 5? 

http://mcs.open.ac.uk/mkac/emgpharborough5.htm

Weather looks pretty reasonable for Edinburgh on Sunday now. Will see what I can do. Still not digging the 8am start.

• Options

Cheers Tommy but that's the week of the Hull 10k. I am thinking about the one in Coventry in August (can't remember the name - maybe Lou would be able to fill in the blank there). Good luck on Sunday.

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

If you can find your way to the park image

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Ah, I go on holiday that day or day after.

I've pencilled in the one in Auguest. Think it's  the cov godiva autumnal 5. 

• Options

oh yeah the Autumnal 5 ... yeah I have been and ran round there since that mobile phone capitulation.

• Options

Lot of people feeling the love for 5 mile races.

Unlucky McF - doesn't sound too bad a run though. Only 5 secs a mile off a PB although 5 mile PBs are normally a bit random anyway due to what I thought was the infrequency of 5 mile races - that is until the last page of posts where there seems to be one every other week in the Midlands.

Good luck Tommy on Sunday. Enjoy your weekend in Edinburgh.

Cheers everyone, Skinny.

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Cheers.

There does seem to be a lot of 5 mile races locally. Somewhat weirdly I think there are at least five races within Nottinghamshire which are 5 miles and only one 5k race. However, there isn't a Notts County Championship race for 5 miles but there is for 5k (and all the other standard distances).    

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

If you count the 5k summer series in Colwick Park as four then there are at least 5...

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Oh, and the HP grand prix.

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

The Colwick Park ones aren't officially measured I don't think and the HP Grand Prix at Wolly Park isn't either, which they would need to be for County Champs purposes. My mate did the Colwick one last week and it came out just over 3 miles on his watch, but yes if you're looking for a ~5k race they are options.  

• Options

Forgot to say good luck to Richard travelling all the way from t'other side of the world to run Liverpool half this weekend. I had half an eye on that but I am only half fit (but not half fit) ...

• Options
    RAH45 wrote (see)
    I am going to 'run' the Liverpool marathon in 4 weeks, just 24 hours after a 28 hour journey back. I think from reading back this thread that T'Dan is also doing that race. I'll be aiming for 4:30 - I'm helping a friend get round in 4:30 -4:45 so pace isn't important. Just as well as true to form I have done zero runs over 13 miles in 18 months. 

Well remembered Muddy except that you misremembered as Richard is flying half way round the world to run Liverpool FULL this weekend. I think it might be easier flying all the way round the world and then only running a Half marathon.

Good luck Richard!

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Good luck Richard and Tommy.

Things have taken an unusual twist for me. Whilst I feel fine within myself, this virus has attacked my lower arms. Imagine if you can that you had never done any conditioning work to your arms and you suddenly decide to spend three hours doing bicep curls and you hold the bar too tight.

I probably have about 30% functionality in both hands. I can't open a bag of crisps, button a short, cut my dinner,tie my shoes and generally grab anything. Very annoying.

I'm probably fine to run, however I don't want to risk making it worse and losing what I can do. 

• Options
    There are loads of five milers round us. Leamington c&ac were going to introduce another but got loads of feedback that there are too many so it will be a 5k instead.

DT that sounds like an unfortunate affect of a virus. Reminds me of when I used to do rock climbing as a youth and couldn't get my shoes off afterwards. Have you seen a doc?
  • Options
    In a slight change to my carefully thought out plan, mcf and I took the kids to the local park and then took it in turns to do intervals round the perimeter path. I did 4*(200,200,400) fast with equal distance jog recovery. Seemed like a very pleasant and family friendly way to do a session.

Good luck Richard if you're reading.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

It's certainly sub optimal. I just had to knock next door to open a tin for me!

I have an appointment 9am tomorrow. The forearm muscles are raw with soreness. 

• Options
    RAH45RAH45 ✭✭

Thanks. I am slightly knackered. Haven't slept properly since the UK equivalent of Thursday at 7pm so the appetite for a marathon has dwindled as the day has gone on I have an entry for the half, so if I get up, I will do that  

I did a Parkrun (Bedford) today 4 hours after arriving. 21:12 on my watch but 21:16 on the site. i think I can get under 20 minutes if I do some specific tempo/interval runs. 

Good luck to Tommy in Edinburgh 

• Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    Blimey, that sounds strange, DT. Hope it's just a fast moving random viral thing.

As Lou says, today was a lovely way to get s session in. I pulled a session out of Daniels. 4x5 min at I pace. Followed by an ice bathpaddling in the paddling pool. Then ran home with my little boy biking alongside. 12 miles done with zero guilt. Perfect.
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

That does sound lovely, the McDiamonds family, except I think it would have been more amusing if you'd done a sort of babysitting paarlauf, each doing an 800m lap of the park and then arriving back to look after the kids while the other one went.

I would not be doing a marathon either if I had not slept till Thursday, Richard. Also I think that is the right decision not to run, DT, if you have lost the use of your arms.

• Options
    We did discuss that sort of paarlauf approach, but decided not to. I don't think we considered how amusing it would be, which may have been an oversight.
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Good luck Tommy! Except I overslept so he's probably finished by now.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Yes if it's gone to plan he who be done.

I'm now say in hospital. Want to see out of hours gp and he thinks it's just after effects of virus but he wants to rule out some rather nasty and rare syndrome called ghulan bree or something similar. This is my wife's fault as I wasn't going to come as I had improved this morning. 

• Options

DT your symptoms do sound strange and I reckon you must be pleased you didn't try running - good decision. A quick bit of googling and I think Guillain-Barré syndrome is what you are being investigated for - it's a 1 in 100,000 shot so let's hope it's not that. Get well soon and let us know if you are feeling any better. I think your wife sounds very sensible in getting you checked out properly.

Hope you had a good race Tommy and nice relaying of the kids between parents McFlooze family.

I did 13.8 this morning round the woods in my new Brooks Cascadia and was finished by 8:30 so can now enjoy the gorgeous weather without thinking it's a bit hot for a run.

I went to buy Inov8 Roclite 290 or Asics Fuji but the Brooks just felt better on my feet - the Roclite felt like slippers but they weren't gripping my heels and I didn't want to buy shoes that I felt I would have to tie the laces really tight as that has given me problems recently.

• Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    I've had the Cascadia in the past, Skinny. Think they are a decent shoe but always felt a touch narrow for my foot. They're clearly comfy for you if happy to do 13 miles right out of the box in them.

Lit - Relaying would have been a bit mean to me as I was doing 1200s and Lou was doing 200s!

DT that does sound very alarming. I hope it goes away quickly.

Hope Tommy's race went well.

I've just got back from 8 miles in which I did a load of strides too. Feels warm out. Rediscovering that I do actually sweat in the summer time!
  • Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    1:27:32 this morning! Steady start, fast middle, ticky last 5k. But a 1 minute PB so pleased with that! Sub 1:25 in August is going to take some work...

Hope it's nothing serious, DT.

Enjoy the rest of the bank holiday weekend everyone!
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Well done, Tommy. That reminds me that my initial plan was to run both London and Edinburgh marathons. Just as well I decided not to given today's proceedings.

Still here, consultant coming around about 5. Plan is if he is satisfied then i get discharged with some outpatient appointments. Functionality is improving every few hours, particularly in right arm. 

Hopefully there will be no lasting damage. 

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

What half is planned in August?

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Dr been, bloods and all tests are normal so cant find anything wrong so putting it down as a virus.

Very stressful day but I have stayed for dinner, all of which I left except the jelly and ice cream which was quite pleasant. 

Off home now.....phew.Hopefully these symptoms will clear up soon. 

• Options

Good news DT - thanks for keeping us up to date.