Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Well done DT. But hang on, do you think School Dad spends too much time training because that might make him faster than you?
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Yes and that will be my excuse when he inevitably does become faster than me. I just think there is a balance when you have very young children between pursuing your own ends to the ultimate level and doing it to a measured level and watching your children grow up.

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    DT's victory over Lit seems to have been brushed under the carpet so i thought i'd give it an airing B)

I managed to run on consecutive days this week for the first time in what seems like a decade. Weds 4.8M was backed up :p with a 3.5M yesterday. Having done 3 runs a week for a month, averaging about 15M per week, i'm gunning for 4 runs this week and hoping to clock close to 25M. I'm hoping to do about 8M on Saturday with an ultra runner friend who's training for the Thames Ring 250 plodding around most of his runs at 9:30-10:00/M so that should stop me from haring off at 8:00M and running out of steam.
  • Options
    I'm supposed to be allowed to try a little run this weekend but I'm a bit nervous - think I might try a walk/run 2 miles and see how it goes.
  • Options
    muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Nice one Mace, I also managed to run 5 miles in one stretch at lunchtime and I felt a tad cream crackered at the end of it even though it was an easy run. One side is peculiarly inactive round the glute area when I am running but focus on it while running and all the exercises seem to be waking it up. Let's see how things behave tomorrow.

Cross post: Good luck Skinny, I felt a bit of a reaction but persisted and it eased off.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    DT19 said:

Yes and that will be my excuse when he inevitably does become faster than me. I just think there is a balance when you have very young children between pursuing your own ends to the ultimate level and doing it to a measured level and watching your children grow up.

You tell em big man! neglectful bastads!

Although some might argue that someone trundling 30-40mile weeks out perhaps isn't "pursuing...own ends to the ULTIMATE level"
     :D  :D

Anyone at the "masters" relays tomorrow?
    I dare say this'll be my best chance of a good effort there, being at the just about qualifying end of the spectrum!
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I would say with the cycling and swimming he is doing a lot more than that. One thing I've found is cycling properly takes up a lot more time than running. 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Can believe it. They love to rack up the hours. And swimming must be a real ass, way less flexible on location, and takes ages to rack up any sort of moderate distance.

so to conclude, we're better off as runners!
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    it is certainly the most efficient and cost effective. Most cyclists I know have at least 3 bikes, all costing thousands. 
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Coincidentally I was just reading about that sort of thing given I can't run so much these days  ... 4 miles ran on the road is roughly equivalent to one mile swam (swum ? *sends Lit signal to the skies*), and 4 miles cycled is equivalent to one mile ran. 1 mile on the elliptical equates to a mountain of dull.
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Swum/run. I've got three bikes.
  • Options
    DT19 said:
    it is certainly the most efficient and cost effective. Most cyclists I know have at least 3 bikes, all costing thousands. 
    Hesitate to tot up the physio and sports massage costs ... but suppose cyclists have those too :pensive:

• Options
    My physio always says I need to spend as long cycling as I would running for equivalent workout. This is obviously less than Muddy's calculation above. 

Needless to say I have ignored him since my bike broke and have done FA.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    No chance. Most cyclists I know, their routine long cycle is at least 3 hours. That's routine like our 13 miles. I was talking to a friend who is a very good runner (1.15 half) but better cyclist and he was saying that the training to get better as a cyclist is more demanding than running as volume at east doesn't work. There is more demand for high watt sessions. 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Surely they're not doing all their cycles at "High watt".

And they are aided by a vehicle, whereas us runners are completely unaided :)

• Options
    Well done on the midweek DT.

Last week I managed to run 20 miles with a long run of 9 miles (that felt like 20) with a few little walk breaks. It was just like starting running all over again :)  Though it wasn't pain free around the hips while on the move, the hips did settle down to pain free almost immediately afterwards.
  • Options
    Progress is progress Muddy.

I managed to travel 2 miles on Saturday with my running gear on in 19 mins. 2 mins walk, 5 run, 2 walk, 5 run, 2 walk, 3 run then I was home.

Can't really say my foot feels the way I would have liked it to after that modest effort. Had planned to do same today but will leave it to tomorrow night instead.

Pete - if you're out there how are you?
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Well done, Muddy. That's about what I have managed last couple of weeks and I am not feeling injured.

Well done also, Skinny. Hope you get to where you want to be.

I have just entered the Birmingham Marathon for October. Not quite sure how the training is going to work just yet. I suppose I am largely relying on have some residual endurance from the winter, therefore it all coming back relatively easily.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    DT19 said:

I have just entered the Birmingham Marathon for October. 

:# Did you get moved to enter after that email that went round saying there were only 800 places left and teasing a prize pot of £35k*

* For elite invitees only - Lit get your name down.

That's right Skinny, getting back to normal but we shall see. The restarts tend to sputter. Good to see you got out too, good luck tomorrow.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Yes I saw the Birmingham post article which may or may not be bollocks. I planned to do it anyway,no just needed a kick to enter. 
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Glad to see Muddy & Skinny getting back to running. I think it takes a while for the post-injury paranoia to wear off, even if you're pretty much okay.

I'm just continuing to try and get some consistent mileage in; I'm running much faster than before for the short speedy reps (think that's the physio and pilates helping me move better) but still not as fit as I'd like to be in terms of endurance. However, there is no rush as my target races are not till the autumn, by which point I should also be somewhere near racing weight.
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    muddy - that's good and i know how you feel

skinny - "Can't really say my foot feels the way I would have liked it to after that modest effort" .. sounds like a 'leave it another week' job to me. Similar to the position i was in last summer, 3M jog tester every Monday morning followed by another week of rest for bloody ages. If you're in any doubt at all what's the point in pushing it too soon as another week in the grand scheme of things is nothing.

I managed a 24M week  :) 75mins on Sunday got me 8.45M and didn't feel too bad at the end.
  • Options
    mace said:

skinny - "Can't really say my foot feels the way I would have liked it to after that modest effort" .. sounds like a 'leave it another week' job to me. Similar to the position i was in last summer, 3M jog tester every Monday morning followed by another week of rest for bloody ages. If you're in any doubt at all what's the point in pushing it too soon as another week in the grand scheme of things is nothing.
    We're all so sensible when advising each other :smile:
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    I think it depends what kind of 'not the way you would have liked' - though in general if it doesn't stop hurting within half an hour of the run I'd be cautious. Having said that though, I'm getting physio/massage quite regularly at the moment and have had some niggles, but get to trust the physio when he says what I can run through and when to back off. So I do actually do sessions where my foot hurts and don't worry about them as long as it's still gradually improving rather than getting worse (something I would NOT do without reliable professional advice).
  • Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭

Pete - if you're out there how are you?
    I'm rather jet-lagged but otherwise fine, thanks :)  I've just got back from a pilgrimage to the Enju-ji temple in Tokyo where Nichikasama, the god of strong legs, is enshrined! Hope the force is strong with him, as I have done no running at all during May!  I did do a huge amount of walking during the trip though, much of it uphill.  However, I suspect my planned run tomorrow will be "just like starting running all over again".

Pleased to note tentative steps towards recovery from Skinny, muddy, lit and McF.  
  • Options
    Good!

The electric fan rather spoils the ambience.
  • Options
    For anyone who's read Born to Run here's a nice story that probably won't feature in Nike's latest marketing literature for their £200 shoes.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-40006985
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Rather quiet on here. I tried to run 5 miles at mp yesterday lunchtime. It didn't work very well as the sun came out and I stopped at 3, drenched in sweat. I would say i'll try again tomorrow, however it looks even warmer.

Struggling to really establish any real routine at the minute with the running, which in turn leads me to care less about what I eat and drink.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    But DT what if it is sunny on race day?

I ran to work this morning (10 miles) through the countryside and it was glorious. Though to be honest a bit sweaty even at 7am and in Scotland.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    yes, I did have that thought. I suppose my race won't be at 1pm, I won't need to return to a showerless office for the afternoon, and id be a bit more motivated to suffer. 

I am bodypumping tonight then will run next few days. I have only just got my feet and ankles to a safe and non niggly state. It was always my plan to start proper training next week. My longest post London run so far has been 8 miles.