Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    literatin said:
    Good news from Scotland - the government guidance says taking your dog across the road for a poo doesn't count as your daily exercise.
    What about driving the 9 miles from England to Scotland to be able to take your dog** across the road for a poo and then driving back home? ;) 

**we don't have a dog any more so I'm just being stupid.
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Not encouraged. We don't want any of your filthy English coronavirus over here, thank you.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Actually it’s a phrase that SG used that I’ve just copied - I have no idea what it means or why it is used for a very low status race.

However I can see that it is something that has its attractiveness for some runners and non runners  :D
    How bizarre that this is the first post I've read on here for ages  :D
  • Options
    kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭
    Hi all, very surreal time, work has stopped at present for me, so i have being getting out when i can for a run then back to the house for the remainder of the day. Try to take a wide berth round people but sometimes frustrated as some walkers don't seem to do likewise.

Stay safe 
  • Options
    kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭
    Hope everyone is doing ok, 12 miles this morning with my wife, weather very mild, roads/parks quiet. trying to social distance when running even if others dont care.

Stay safe.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Good going, Kevin. I managed 55 minutes of a 65 minute walk last night with no discomfort.

Tempted to try running later, but i think now is that critical point where i could probably manage it but my overall recovery would be better served just holding back that few more days.

Am about to essentially start a 5.5 month training block for Berlin marathon so a few more days won't hurt. I still rationalise matters in that with taper and recovery from london, I'd have had a pretty light 4 weeks around now anyway. 
  • Options
    Sounds like progress DT.

Kev nice the two of you can run 12 miles together and hope even though the work has stopped you've still got some funds coming in.

I had a cut back week in the schedule last week that was supposed to end in a 10 mile race so I stuck to the plan but ran my 10 miler at very top end of Easy Pace (or maybe a bit faster but not as fast as a useful zone) for about 77:30.

I've planned out next 12 weeks to be in the 25 - 30 zone including introducing a fourth 3 mile run into some weeks with a cut back week every fourth week. See how it goes but if the lock down gets stricter then it won't matter what my plans are. :-)

Stay safe everyone - sounds pretty nasty if you are unlucky enough to get a serious version.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

This all sounds very serious stuff, Skinny! Are you not getting any hassle from the foot now? That's pretty much pushing the mileage you used to run at peak isn't it?

I gave into temptation last night and went for a 10 minute out and back. It was uncomfortable in the 2nd half, but didn't worsen and wasn't so uncomfortable I contemplated stopping.

Speaking with Lewis last night we think that what's left is an inflamed nerve somewhere, which is why none of 3 physios could find anything particular and I cannot pin point a specific point of damage, plus the epi centre of the pain I do get moves day by day. On that basis moderate running should help it relax a bit. With this sort of thing, researching on the net, it can take a while to settle but when it does, it literally just disappears overnight.

Will take an every other day approach initially so will do some stretch and glute work today.

• Options
    Was Morse not available?
  • Options
    No not really I think I was more 30 to 40 and right at end was in 40 to 50. Also I haven’t managed it yet and I still do get occasional foot discomfort so I still worry about it on every run.

But much much better than last 3 years.
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Hello everyone. It's my birthday! I shall be celebrating by having a 'party' with my neighbours on both sides, where they will be required to bring their own booze and snacks and stay in their own back gardens, conversing from a safe distance over a 5ft wall. What could be more fun?

Good to see you back running regularly again Skinny.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Happy birthday, Lit, enjoy the party!

Skinny, you lost me briefly with your Morse reference, but i'm on it now.

• Options
    kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭
    How did the party go lit..

Skinny nice 10miler and pace, good time for a base phase.

DT hows the injury?

Few runs this week 6, 5 & 6 miles. Hoping to start from next week one quality session per week, just to try and feel the burn  :D

Hope everyone is doing ok  
  • Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Happy birthday for the other day, lit.

Good consistent mileage, Skinny. Hopefully you'll get to race soon.

Kevin, good work keeping the mileage going. Enjoy your sessions!

DT - hope the back is feeling better. I've just seen that our clubs were next to each other in the overall standings for the Virtual National Road Relays.

muddy - how's the injuries?

McF - hope you're still managing to get out running?

I've cut back on my running a little bit but have done a bit more cycling. Hip feels a bit sore when I run a bit quicker but think it's getting better. A stupid attempt at a solo flat out 5k as part of the virtual national road relays yesterday round a bit of a lumpy route, which had more road crossings than I had expected, combined with a lack of enthusiasm resulted in me almost giving up. Ended up with 20:45 or something.

Will have a couple more weeks of taking it easy and then will pick it back up. I've volunteered to temporarily reduce my hours for a few weeks so theoretically I'll have more time to train...

• Options
    My work colleague did that on Sunday and was so disappointed with his time (about 18:50) that he did it again last night but picked a better route and ran 17:50 which is pretty tidy on your own.

I have had an irritated chest over last few days (unsure when it started) but none of the classic symptoms of fever or cough or lethargy. On researching on the 'net last night it seems I have probably got the 'rona but so far not badly and was able to run 5.5 miles on Tuesday and 3 last night without any breathing issues.

So a little concerned about what the next week will bring but I'm okay at the moment.

Cheers, Skinny 
  • Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

That is a pretty tidy. I did see that the v60 from Northern Ireland tickled out a 16:02 which is pretty remarkable.

Fingers crossed the symptoms don't get any worse, Skinny.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone; I had a lovely birthday party, and didn't have to share my cake with the neighbours because of social distancing: a win-win situation.

I have been continuing to run 50ish miles per week at a lovely easy pace, mostly at 7am to fit in with work and avoid people, but sometimes in the middle of the day with the dog. This was slightly ruined last Saturday when some idiot child had decided to recreate Hansel and Gretel in our local woods and I nearly lost the little bastard (dog, not child) because he was too busy eating all the breadcrumbs to follow me.

Hope you are feeling better soon Skinny!
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    Belated returns, Lit  :) How wonderful to be doing 50M weeks, I wish ...

I didn’t run for a couple weeks, it seems so easy to get out of the habit when you’re doing next to nothing. 

Work has eased a bit now so I did manage 4M yesterday morning, but that was enough and I have a bit of doms today !! Average pace was, surprisingly, exactly the same as the previous run 2 weeks ago at 9:04/M. I was expecting closer to 10’s so am quite encouraged 

hope everyone is ok and skinny’s malaise hasn’t manifested into anything serious 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Skinny, hopefully you didnt come down with coronavirus?

Tommy, are final results done now? There'll be some fast team times as you could basically start at the top of a 3m descent with the wind behind you. Plus it's much easier to get all your best runners doing it when you don't have to be available to be in brum on a specific day. 

Hope you've been getting out last few days, Mace? 

i wouldn't go too hard on the quality, Kevin. Hard sessions comecwith risk to immunity and injury and you don't need to be sharp right now as such. 

I've  nothing much to report.  I had a couple video physio sessions last week having remembered my bupa probably provided physio cover. She thinks i have a mildly bulging disk in lower back. I'm not convinced as i saw a chiro twice and he didnt spot that but, it's been nearly 5 weeks so it's clearly something more than a strain. I dont get any hassle until i run. if i woke up one morning and lost my memory I'd not know there was an issue. That makes it more frustrating  as if it was anything much id struggle in other areas. 
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    That all sounds a bit shit for you, DT. Sounds like you shouldn’t be doing anything but I know from my own experience how difficult that is because I tried to run through my injury even though I knew I shouldn’t. Fingers crossed it clears up with some more rest. You’ll lose fitness but will get it back soon enough although so frustrating I’m sure !!

I’ve managed a couple more runs of 4M @ 8:51/M and today ( after 2 days off) 5M @ 8:33/M. Felt like I could do more today but stopped on the seafront and walked the mile home uphill. I think and hope this could be the start of some sort of build and consistency 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

It's much easier to do nothing when the gyms are all closed and going outside is limited. Yes, I was in shape of my life and now i'm watching it ebb away when I could in fact be getting some really good base work in.

Went out with kids for walk last night, was out 100 mins and back was ok. Though I can feel the si joint a bit sore today.

Sounds promising, Mace.

Skinny, did any virus develop?

• Options
    Good going Mace. And happy birthday Lit. I think you can quite rightly replay this birthday at a later date in the circumstances.

Fingers crossed Skinny that you are feeling better. We will all eventually get it unfortunately. At the moment I have a cold (I think), feeling tired, headache-y and snotty. I find it strange that I could catch something, given that I'm being hygienic and only going to the shops and solo-ing in the office right now. I guess it just shows how dangerous the shops are ...

Also I'm still injured - my foot is still giving me electric shocks and my knee is sore after my daily walks. I know I could run on it, albeit less than usual, and then feel soreness and pain, but I want it to be completely right for the next bit of my running life as a v50. Like DT, I feel sad having the fitness drop away as I know how long it takes to build back.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

It's strange you say that, Muddy. I rarely seem to have colds. However pretty much since this whole hand washing thing kicked off in early April I have been much more careful than ever before, yet had 2 colds in 4 weeks. As you say, shows how infectious these things are.

A lot of symptoms of back issues, in particular disk ones are such pain in the feet. I was getting it through my backside but that has passed now and I just have a sore dull pain in my si joint area. Have physio again at 5pm but think im losing out not having hands on treatment.

• Options
    DT19 said:

I was getting it through my backside but think im losing out not having hands on treatment.

The things people resort to during lockdown.

I’m okay - I still have some lingering feelings of illness which I’d like to go away but I’ve not been seriously ill so hopefully I won’t be. Not even sure whether I’ve had it or not - only ways to find out are if I now get it or they get round to testing everybody for the antibodies.

Haven't run since last week just in case my lungs and heart are under more stress than I realise.

Hope everyone else is still dodging it.

Cheers, Skinny
  • Options
    muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I did notice on the map of cases that Cumbria was a hot spot for some reason Skinny ... All the day trippers to the Lakes importing it ?

DT - Yeah it's mad that everyone is being more hygienic but still we are picking up respiratory bugs. I'm very queue avoidant so I've been going to the shops in the evenings when it's straight in and out (and it almost feels like a social night out!).
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Hello everyone! I'm glad to hear Skinny's still alive. I have still been running my 50 miles a week but on today's medium long run I had a slightly hurty hamstring, so I am going to do some foam rolling etc. tonight and maybe take the day off tomorrow. It's not that bad though so hopefully I can avoid actual injury by being sensible now. My partner and I have also been having private pilates classes on Zoom on a Sunday afternoon, which is excellent timing for after the long run. My pilates teacher has gone back on her previous extreme disapproval of my running, and now says that I run like a magical sprite (yes I know: wtf).

I have not been in an actual shop for three weeks, as I am one of the surprisingly lucky people still able to get supermarket deliveries, once all of the elderly and vulnerable people have been offered slots. I am using my superpower for good, though, by doing shopping for three other households besides my own. It's quite amusing to see what other people consider essential groceries. Also I live in the 1950s, so I get my milk and eggs delivered to my doorstep. And - in a more 21st century vein - the local farmshop has an excellent service where you e-mail them your shopping list, and then when you get to their carpark you text them to let them know which car to put the bags next to.
  • Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Morning all.

Hope everyone is staying safe and keeping well.

I've managed a few runs but have taken advance of the quieter roads and been doing a lot more cycling as a bit of a change. Have a feeling that the summer racing season will be wiped out so I'm telling myself I'm base building for XC season in autumn/winter.

DT - sorry to see Berlin has been cancelled, suppose you have London as a fall back (unless that goes the same way).

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Tommy, yep, was somewhat surprised to be fair. I think London will go the same way. NY is the one I want to be on, simply because it is going to be much harder to get there again.

I'm still struggling with my back, though with Autumn now cancelling the speed to get back up and running is reduced.

• Options
    Flights to New York from UK in late October - well if that's happening that will be helpful for our business but it's very optimistic.

Spain has been locked down (much more severely than UK - no exercise other than walking the dog once a day) for 40 days and today still had 4,635 new cases diagnosed. This isn't going away.