Overdone it?

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I'd probably say it's not too bad. When I run London I'm not really racing anyone, it's me and my watch passing through other runners. 

Milton keynes mid December worked fine with small groups starting every 12 mins with groups deliberately being of mixed ability to about people grouping. 
  • Hello, hope everyone is doing well. 

Anyone have any good remedies for chaffing legs? Since going out on the bike I've noticed my legs rubbing during runs. Apart from going out and buying what seems to be really expensive creams are there any other alternatives I can try? Maybe invest in a pair of good compression shorts?

TIA
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Hi David, compression shorts obviously do the job. So will vaseline. I use udderly smooth which isn't too expensive on amazon. 
  • Nice one DT, thank you.
  • Good to see you back running, DH. I'm hoping that spring is here and can start to get out on the bike a bit more. 

I'd found a 10k in April which I was tempted to enter to ease myself back in to racing. However, they've said that they've been told that Run Britain are seeking clarity on the definition of ‘formally organised events’ and that the runbritain Covid-19 guidance for race organisers still applies. 

They suggest that they may delay  the race until it can be held normally rather than staggered starts or such like, so I think I'll hold off until RB clarify things a bit more in the coming days. 

8 miles last night, things starting to feel a bit easier and flowing a bit better. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I'm still desperately awaiting news on Dorney. England Athletics issued their full guidance last night that states covid safe raving can commence from 29th March. 

The race organiser feels it'll happen but is hoping to speak with England athletics today as well as the venue. There is also a reserve date of 24th April and I can cope with an extra 3 weeks training. 
  • Racing to return from 29/3 but I think it will be a while longer before raves are allowed ;)
  • Tommy2D said:
    Good to see you back running, DH. I'm hoping that spring is here and can start to get out on the bike a bit more. 

Cheers. It's slow going and I need to lose another 5kg or thereabouts but I'm enjoying it. The bike is definitely helping with overall strength. During the harder runs it's my upper body that protests rather than the legs.

Well done on the 8 and hopefully you'll get to "rave" soon enough. 

I've had the silly idea of giving the North Downs 50 miler a go. Utterly ludicrous and I have no right but I feel like a need a big challenge to work towards. It won't be until 2022 so perhaps not completely ridiculous. I'll do the training and if it all falls to shit at least I've put in some miles. Who knows.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I feel like raving after my tt. 5k in 17.51, 5m in 28.59 and 10k in 36.11! Sub 36 in a race i hope. 
  • Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    Great stuff DT! Looking forward to seeing just how quick you can go in race conditions!
  • Brilliant, DT! 

Ridiculous scenes to set your fastest ever mile (well according to Strava) at the start of a 10k and not completely detonate. 

P.S  I did notice that you plotted your route well so as not have to return up the hill to your start point  ;)
  • Well jogged, DT! Lots more to come off that in a race. Obviously in good shape! Amazing what progressive consistent consistency gives you! 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Thanks all! Alehouse, it's been a slow burner with me but perseverance and consistency have now got me to a decent level despite in that time going from 35 to 45.

Tommy, that first mile looks like a cliff edge on strava, it was gently downhill however. Interestingly the overall route had 138ft of elevation  gain. my 10k pb course had 39ft so whilst I gave myself a reasonable start there was still comparatively plenty of elevation.

• Yes, the scale does exaggerate things significantly on Strava! It was a brilliant run, and totally rewards your consistency and commitment.

I'm yet to find anywhere nearby  which doesn't include a few hundred feet of elevation gain...the flattest route I can do for a 10k from my front door is basically an out and back alongside a pretty busy road (so not exactly scenic) has over 200ft and that's if I stop my watch at the bottom of the hill and walk backup to the house. 
  • DT19 said:
    I feel like raving after my tt. 5k in 17.51, 5m in 28.59 and 10k in 36.11! Sub 36 in a race i hope. 
    Brilliant time DT - I bet you never guessed that having a stress fracture in your pelvis would produce such amazing results.

How long ago is it that you were getting lots of injuries and changed all your training to just 3 hard runs every week plus lots of cross training?

i know those days are long gone now but that seemed to be the point when everything turned round for you.

Superb time and, as others have said said, surely more to come.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Tommy, yes I sympathise. Having been on holiday to the area in August I'm not sure id fancy tempo running around there. 

Skinny, thanks. Yes about May 2015 I decided to break away from common thinking and do that and it paid dividends in about 6 weeks and then provided the platform for everything else. Since then year after year I've chipped away at numbers.

Decided to have a complete rest day today instead of going on my bike. Feel OK though, some very slight doms in quads. 
  • 6 years ago - wow, tempus fugit.
  • Absolutely fantastic DT and more to come,  rewards for you hard work.
  • My more modest weekly update.

4,3,7,4,12,4,9 for 43 miles.

Total mileage will do for now so will just try upping the long run by a mile a week for March and reduce Sat:Sun till the Sat run disappears with roughly the same total mileage.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    16 today and 48 for my taper/cut back week. 

More importantly though 230m in Feb which is my second highest ever after march 2019 and 232. Not bad with 3 days less. 

Just had a look on power of 10 and realise that if I can replicate my 10k tt in a race it would take me beyond lit, mr v etc al in the TTT and into 2nd spot. 

3 big weeks to come. 
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    DT19 said:
    Tommy, yes I sympathise. Having been on holiday to the area in August I'm not sure id fancy tempo running around there. 

By coincidence, I found out about a very flat park with a paved perimeter path about in the city centre. Headed over there on Sunday morning and after a couple of miles warm up, attempted a bit of a tempo. Having no real idea on current fitness, just went by effort, ended up covering 10k in ~41 mins so 6:40 odd pace. Didn't feel overly hard and could have kept going at that pace. So I guess it was probably 10 mile - HM pace ish. Happy enough with that given where I was a few weeks ago. Will keep plodding on with the 25-30 mile weeks and then hopefully get to do a real race at some point. 

Looks a decent week, Skinny. Keep that up and you'll be in very good shape.   
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

That's a decent session, Tommy and good to find somewhere like that where you can work with paces and not juts effort, so youll have an idea where you might be come race day.

Decent week so far with 5m recovery Monday and Thursday. Sessions Tuesday of 10 x mins at HMP off 1 min jog recovery. Average pace for the 39 mins was 6.12 covering 6.3m, going through 10k in about 38.40, which was quite bizarre at moderate effort.

12m MLR then on Wednesday. 12.5m over lunch with 10m steady tempo, then 22m Sunday.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    62.51 today for 6.17mm and 159bpm. 3 weeks ago was 6.19mm and 160bpm so a little bit of improvement on same route. 
  • Sub 60 in a race DT which is one of those benchmark achievements - flying.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Yes that and a sub 80 half are the benchmark targets I want to achieve this year if possible. 
  • macemace ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Hello everyone !!

Good to see DT’s continued improvement and Skinny seemingly going from nothing to 40 mile weeks. Bravo !!

DT you appear to be ahead of where I was at my fittest and could be knocking on the door of a champs start inside a year if you’re sensible. You’ve come a long way from the chap who was honking at the end of races and wondering how to improve off 30mile training weeks !! 

I had a bit of a relapse for a few weeks end of January, generally feeling weak/not well and struggling to climb the stairs without feeling breathless. I guess it was another wave of the effect of the virus

I then started jogging when I felt better but could barely make it half way round the 0.75M block so left it another week and since then have built up to a 3.3M long run today in 32 minutes. So 0-2-0-2-2-0-3.3 for a 9.3 mile week. Nowhere near my hoped-for 40M week with 12M long run by March but I’m fairly chuffed with it 🙂 and may at least be up to 25 by the end of March 

• Good to hear that you are over the worst now mace and just as it warms up too.

4,3,7,4,13,4,8 for 43 miles again this week.

14 long run next week. 

One of my calves is still grumbling a bit but doesn’t seem to be getting worse or better and always reacts well to the gentle start to the week.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Hi mace, good to hear from you and see you are getting back out there. A good time to start really as I look outside at blue skies and with clocks changing in a few weeks. 

I'm not sure a champs place is a feasible target as the requirement is now sub 2.40. I'm almost a bit perplexed by matters as every 2 weeks I seem to have gained something and I have a bit 2 weeks behind me to filter through and 2 big weeks to come. I fear I'll need two marathons to run my potential as I'm a bit scared by the paces that various forms of data are throwing at me. 

22m today. Tried to make it a race day equivalent so went out at 11am, being race start time, had my pre race nutrition and then 4 gels, one every 5m. 

It was a bizarrely comfortable run and kept finding myself running 7.20s but feeling like I was plodding and hr data was at plod level. Came out 7.33mm for 140bpm in 2.46. Id wanted to be running for about 2.50 but needed to sit at 7.45 for that. 

That's 66 for week, 1m short of my highest ever. 2 more big ones to come pre taper. 
  • macemace ✭✭✭
    2.40 ?! wow,  bit of a stretch maybe but you never know ....

Skinny, not surprised as you seem to be doing a lot from relatively nothing. Mind how you go 

Tommy, nice 10k :-)
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Skinny-x post yesterday. I have a few aches like that at present, there and not improving but also not worsening, despite 60m weeks.

Mace, the champs time needed to shift what with senior GFA time being 2.57 for 2020 so that move was long overdue.

Recovery run over lunchtime. Kids back in school today, rattling around the house!