Options

Sweaty Bodies

Comments

• Options
    slo shoslo sho ✭✭✭
    I am notorious in my running group for the torrents of sweat I produce - I've always been the same, whether fit/unfit, fat/slim. I've been told it just means your body has a particularly efficient cooling mechanism and you can't alter that. When you stop running your body is still cooling you down, but as you're not moving so much presumably it doesn't evaporate/spray off you, hence the increased sweating! Happens to me too.

I dislike the massive sweating but have resigned myself to it - I wear a sweatband round my wrist to wipe my forehead to prevent the contact lens problem, and wring out my ponytail at the end of a run!
  • Options
    Thanks Slow Sho,

I am going to try the vaseline and sweatband combo on tomorrow's run and see if that helps.
  • Options
    On the sweaty issue. Sweat running in the eyes is a real stinger. In my footballing days we used to run a smear of vasaline on our eyebrows which makes the sweat run around your eye (it does work).

Now, I get back from a run and my kit smells like a cat has pee'd all over it. My wife sends me straight out. After a race - no chance of a well done kiss!

Whats that all about then? - No, not the kiss - the sweat :)
  • Options
    Gosh, just looked at this thread and saw that it started way back two years ago! And there I was, sweating away in 2004...still dripping from head to toe.
  • Options
    Mmmm. Not keen to discuss stinky sweat then? I can understand that.

Come on, I can't be the only one!

Can I?
  • Options
    Hi, I too have just come across this thread. I'm just taking up running and am worried that I will sweat more than all of you put together. I love fresh sweat though so just remember, some of us guys do find it sexy!
  • Options
    <squelches in>

MORning all!

Me? Yes, I'm a sweaty Betty, too! It's dripping off my noes, earlobes, and down my back as I type - time for a shower I think!

<squelches out>
  • Options
    DLDL ✭✭✭
    00!

I sweat too
  • Options
    DL - I just LOVE your pic! Are you a Border Collie or a Bull Terrier?
  • Options
    I've discovered the delights of copious sweating over the last few hot weeks. After my long run a couple of weeks ago I was standing in my kitchen absolutely fascinated that my forearms could sweat:-)

After being someone who usually just glows (bright red!) rather than sweats, this is rather a revelation!

Although not sure about the sweat dripping in the eyes thing - don't like that at all!
  • Options
    TT - that stings! I find that smearing Vaseline over my eyebrows diverts the drips!
  • Options
    I have just started a beginner's training schedule and find I return home after a run with a bright red face which lasts for at least an hour after.

Can I assume that as my fitness/running improves the redness might lessen?
    Does my face turn red because my body temperature control system is not working effectively?
    Can anyone advise?
  • Options
    Yep - count me in as a "drip off nose" sweat-machine and yes, Louise - many of us go red faced too and stay that way for up to an hour!
  • Options
    DLDL ✭✭✭
    I is a greyhound!! Sadly I don't run like one ;O)

I can also go red for far longer than an hour!!! I kind of like it on these cold mornings when I stop to do my stretches at the end of my run and it looks like there's a little steam cloud surrounding me!!
  • Options
    I don't just sweat..I SWEAT. After one 5KM race I lost 2 and a half kilos.
    I usually lose 1 and a half to 2 kilos whenever I run a 5K in the morning.However, I do live in the Philippines so its a bit hotter here than the UK. But, whatever exercise I do, tennis, soocer, running, after 20 mins everything, including shoes are soaked, and I have to dry out my shoes and boots in the extractor fan from the aircon after.
    20 years ago I had a cervical sympathectomy which stopped my hands and armpits from 'flushing' but only spread the sweating problem to the rest of my body, including areas which had never sweat before, like my torso, back and legs.
    I started using Clonidine 3 years ago, but stopped one month ago as I realised that it was impairing my running and general fitness. Now, since I stopped using the tablets my time for 5KM has been improving steadily. As long as I have a good sweat from any kind of exercise in the morning I am ok for the rest of the day, as long as I don't then drink loads of fluids. The more I drink , the more I sweat.
  • Options
    I'm usually a beetroot faced blob of sweat after my run. I love it to drip down my neck and make my t-shirt properly wet (sad?) and I gauge my run on the wet sweat mark!! If it reaches my waist I'm well chuffed.

Embrace the sweat I say. (but have a shower soon after)
  • Options
    I find wearing a cap soaks up sweat when running, but in the gym I sweat buckets.

I used to wear t-shirts in the gym and also measured my workouts by how far down the sweat had soaked. I thought it made me look well ard.

Then I discovered technical wicky-thing shirts which wick and don't show the sweat.

Funnily enough when i now see blokes who have a t-shirt soaked in sweat at the gym I just think - erm that's a bit unsightly, get some proper gear. But to each his own.
  • Options
    Yeah bit technical shirts are all very well but a bit clingy (especially when you've got bulgy bits like me). And my hubbie won't wear them either cos of his alleged 'boy boobs' (I say 'what boy bobs?' but you know how they are). And for a rubbish washer woman like me there's always a chance one could sneak into the tumble dryer by mistake which doesn't do them a lot of good....

So on balance, do you go for unsightly sweaty shirt OR showing all one's jiggly wobbly rolls of flab? Sweaty shirt wins for me...

Or liposuction, of course.
  • Options
    Yeah bit technical shirts are all very well but a bit clingy (especially when you've got bulgy bits like me). And my hubbie won't wear them either cos of his alleged 'boy boobs' (I say 'what boy bobs?' but you know how they are). And for a rubbish washer woman like me there's always a chance one could sneak into the tumble dryer by mistake which doesn't do them a lot of good....

So on balance, do you go for unsightly sweaty shirt OR showing all one's jiggly wobbly rolls of flab? Sweaty shirt wins for me...

Or liposuction, of course.
  • Options
    Hello fellow sweaty people! I sweat loads at the gym and running outside although I rarely get sweaty otherwise. What annoys me is when you get these girls coming into the gym who look perfect (hair, make up) and leave looking exactly the same. There I am, sweaty, red cheeked, hair in a mess and a different coloured top to when I came in (due to sweat) using up all the paper toweling in the gym!
  • Options
    Spinkletoes

i wash my techy shirts in the machine

and i wear mens ones so they dont cling
  • Options
    Yeah but I'm a 'whole lotta woman' and even the mens XL come up a bit snug in places - and you get huge shoulders and no hips with the guys stuff. I'd say I was a 'classic pear shape' but bigger (perhaps 'classic blob shaped' instead)
  • Options
    am i the most disgusting??? i sweat most just where my legs meet my bum - looks REALLY attractive!! Even black shorts look like I've sat in a pudlle! Also the top back of my thighs! But never mind - a sweater tied around my waist does the trick........
  • Options
    Spinkle
    Im a 30GG size 16-so hardly small
  • Options

Plodding Hippo,

You're positively skinny love! Try size 28 (on a good day) but I have bugger all in the cleavage department.

Still got round the GNR though in good shape though(3 hrs). (determination is a wonderful thing - if only i could apply it to my diet!)
  • Options
    hokay

thats a bit bigger than me-ill give you that

well done on the GNR
    :)
  • Options
    Why thank you. I'n very proud of meself.

I would also like to beat Carol Vorderman too (and she set off way way before us ordinary folks). That'll learn her for her bloody awful detox diet I went on. I won't go into too much detail only that it worked.... very quickly - and not in a good way.
  • Options
    theres my trotts thread for that Spinkle
    :))
  • Options
    I really hope you're joking about there being an thread for the trotts!!