Options

Sweaty Bodies

1235»

Comments

• Options
    I really hope you're joking about there being an thread for the trotts!!

• Options
    nope
    its a common problem for runners

loads of threads on the topic-one is active now
  • Options
    Well, perhaps I'll reveal all about the horrors of the Carol Vorderman detox diet there then..
  • Options
    GGRRR I am really angry. Went to the gym this morning and sweated my butt off as usual and this old timer who goes every Sunday comes up and offers me some blue towel and said, 'wow the sweat is dripping off you' and laughed in a sarcastic way. I thought 'yeah and?'. Anyways, he comes up to me again a bit later and says 'I have not seen a women sweat that much since I was doing something else with one' ~(basically insinuating a woman sweat more whilst getting physical with him) which was so gross and it was one of those moments when I wanted to clock him one but was so taken aback I just looked at him. Firstly, I know I sweat. I hate it when people feel they need to comment, as if you don't realise. I should have turned around to him and said ,'I am sweating, really? Wow I did not realise!' lol, ah well. I sweat and that is that. are women not supposed to sweat? I don't smell bad and wash my gear everyday.
    Oh to be a sweaty one...I must admit it can be sooo embarrasing though :(
  • Options
    ewwww... he sounds gross. You should have asked whether he gets much action from sweaty women who are also blind.

Even worse, the pheremones you were giving out made him try it on with you... I shudder to think

I hate it when people comment on me sweating too. I ran to work one day and one of my colleagues told me I was sweating. Well, I thought (but didn't say) I've run a couple of miles here, I weigh twice as much as you and, goodness, so I may be sweaty - no shit Sherlock!!!
  • Options
    lol ...shame I cannot think of comments like that on the spot sprinkletoes! Good ammo for the future.
    With regards to people telling us we are sweaty, it is like 'no shit, am I really sweaty?' we are painfully aware of it as it is. You should have smeared a sweaty palm across their face and then stated 'that is what it feels like to be sweaty' hee hee :)
    Don't even go there with the pheremones, that really does make me feel quite unwell.
  • Options
    No, I'm like you - I've always think of the cheeky one liners after the event!!

And as for my colleague - well, stating the bleedin' obvious isn't a crime (perhaps it should be) but stating personal stuff is NOT ON. Since she's got an acne problem I could've pointed that out but I'm TOO POLITE (dammit).

And before people think I'm being mean about acne - I had it, for years years and yes, it's terrible to have (and painful too). It's just an example...
  • Options

hey,

<stands up at front of room>

My name is Shawn and I am a sweat-a-holic

I am very unfit and am thankful for these wicking tops!

About 6 years ago i was nice and healthy and went to the gym lots but even then I sweat about 2 litres. Now I've started exercising again I'm quickly remembering I cant put my wringing wet clothes in the wash basket straight after a workout.

• Options

I am sooo pleased there is already out in the open - I have 10k coming up in couple of weeks and beginning to panic slightly...

I have very bright blue Cancer Research t-shirt to wear which is 'snug' fitting around my top but ridiculously long (!) and am really anxious about how I will look by the end if it's really hot... [this bit ladies only!] am wearing running bra but still think I will look horribly hot!!  Had thought about wicking top but not sure it would go underneath and I'll be even hotter then!  Any ideas please - what do you do? image

• Options

WCP

you wont care by the end of the 10k, believe me

• Options

I ended up reading the whole thing - you didnt put where I could read from again.. image

No - 10k, I wouldnt care ifI looked like I fell in a swimming pool on the way round.

• Options
    I know what you mean, I think that finishing it in my case will be an achievement, regardless of what I look like...does that mean that everyone else will look wet and ragged too? Well, apart from the really fit people, that is!
  • Options

WCP

Being a 'race virgin', this also crossed my mind! But after reading various things (motivation tips etc..,. ) I've decided that the fact that you are actually getting out there and making the effort is worth it all!!

Anyway, my husband has informed me that he thinks the 'sweaty betty' look is quite sexy - shows I'm looking after myselff... not too sure about that one... ! I'm assuming he means only after exercise and not just from getting out the car......image

• Options

I suddenly feel normal.  Good a comment last night from a running colleague why's your hair wet.  I then proceeded to wring it out with a chorus of eeerrrggghhhs!!!

No one else in my running group seems to sweat anywhere as near as much as I do not even damp hair around the hairline.

Love it when it rains as I then look the same as eveyone else!

• Options

I tell people that sweating is the body's way of cooling itself - I am just particularly efficient at it! image

• Options
    i say .. nothng. I'm too knackered to form words or opinions by that point
  • Options

I sweat so much and get so hot on the treadmill that when i do my stretches lying down on a mat in the gym - i steam, i kid you not. Steam.

• Options

I'm in the heavy sweating camp as well, its mostly my face where I really notice it and it soaks down into my shirt.

On long runs I carry around one of those little dish sponges you can get about 10 for 50p, to constantly soak up the sweat and then wring it out.

What I do worry about is my salt levels. I don't cook with salt or put it on my food so apart from what ammount I eat in pre-packaged food (not a lot) I'm not really getting that much.

Should I be eating extra salt?

R

• Options

6g a day is recommended, but I read in RW that runners need a little more for obvious reasons. Do you use isotonic drinks? I dont usually put salt on food but today I'm eating ritz crackers... saltilicous

• Options

Count me in as another sweaty betty. My husband barely breaks sweat but our son is also like me - we sweat at Olympic gold standard. Perhaps it's something in our genes. And the face gets so red it could guide shipping safely home.

Anyway, I'm  past caring about how I look or what others think. It's not why I run. But the salt thing is interesting, I hate even the smell of the stuff so don't cook with it or add it to anything . If I take some of it will I sweat less?

• Options

You won't sweat less, you'll just replace the salt that you lose through sweating.

Hooray for sweating!  I sweat loads, and my old kickboxing instructor (hands down, the fittest guy I've ever met) sweats buckets too.

• Options

Hello fellow sweaties! 

I get drenched whenever I work out, run, I even get red-faced when I swim.  I've always been a sweaty person but it doesn't bother me too much now - I take a towel into the gym to dry my face and when I run outdoors I just have to wipe it away with my hands.  Its fine as long as you replace the lost fluid. 

Besides, its really good for your skin!

• Options

Hey sweatmonsters!

I leak like a raincloud without fail each time i run (or do any phys). I liked an earlier comment i read further up this thread about sweating over a cup of hot tea or curry. I thought i was a freak doomed to social  exclusion but it's great to know i'm not the only one. I'm running Reading half marathon in March (my first one!) so will undoubtedly leave a trail of residue behind me.

If i suddenly stopped sweating one day i'd be more concernd but until then long live the sweaty ones. 

• Options

I'm a sweaty betty! 

I have got slightly better of the 4-5 years I have been running.  I have stopped running at lunch time as I only get 45 minutes and by the time I have done a short plod and have a shower I am so hot and sweaty it is uncomfortable even after a shower!  Also people keep asking if I am alright.  My red face takes a while to calm down.

I run in races and am normally at the back.  In some cases I have had ambulances and police cars behind and I think they are just following as my face is so red they think I am about to drop down in a heap.

I am not bothered by it as I feel that I have done some physical exercise and sweating is part of that process.

I have run in Florida a couple of times and I should of run in my swimming cossie!  I took part in the Goofy challenge and during the marathon section stopped for a wee and had trouble getting my shorts up again.  That was at the 3 mile mark!  My running partner thought it was very funny!

I am a lady and I glow but just a bit brighter than most other ladies!

Enjoy your plods etc X 

• Options

i found the Stop Sweating And Start Living
    ebook here with 50% discount! go to http://malul007.wordpress.com/2008/08/15/stop-sweating-and-start-living-review-2
  • Options
    i sweat like an old pig - seems more OK for us blokes though. Anyway wimmin just perspireimage
  • Options

Don't mind sweating when I run, sure it keeps my complexion nice and clear.

Not so good when dancing though, and trying to look nice. Last wedding I was at, two women in the toilets asked me if I had just been swimming! Tend to avoid mirrors at times like that - reflection is just too distressing.