Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Thought Osteopaths just did backs!!! image

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Mine does groins tooimage

• Options

It´s still possible to get bibs for the Paris Marathon by collecting funds for a charity. http://en.alvarum.com/events/paris-marathon-2013/

• Options
    TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

Afternoon all.

Safe travels MM.

Just been out for a lunchtime tempo run. 7miles @ 7:40 felt good apart from the last couple of miles being up hill. Gives me confidence of a PB in next weeks half marathon as the course is lovely and flat.

January training has gone really well for me. 27 runs covering 185 miles. Can't say I'm looking forward to my first 20miler on Saturday image

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

You'll feel good once it's done though, Trevor image

• Options
    Daddsy - well done on the 15 miler, but the pace you were running suggests something doesn't quite add up. Pace for LSR's is generally recommended to be about 30s to 1 min per mile slower than race pace, to build stamina and teach your body to burn fat. So this means one of two things - either you're going a bit quick if you're aiming for just under 4 hours, or you're actually capable of running well under 4 hours and should be aiming for something nearer 3.5. If you were still feeling full of beans at the end I would have suggested the latter, but as you've used the word 'brutal' I'd suggest taking it a little bit easier. Good going though!
  • Options
    TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

I hope so YM, will then be able to relax and watch the rugby.

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

There ain't going to be anything relaxing about that game, I tell you.  Not if you're Welsh...image

• Options

Goooood evening everyone,

It's raining here. That means the tons of snow we have had here recently are melting. I took my VFF out for a run again and got them soaked within few minutes. So I did only 20% of my planned training. Didn't really fancy running in icy waters. 

On the positive side I have to say that Chirunning seems working for me. I've twitched only few things and no knee pain whatsoever, I run faster with less effort. Love it

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Wi how did you make the change?  Did you teach yourself or did somebody teach you?

• Options

I've read both books by Dreyer: Chirunning & Chimarathon and watched the accompanied DVD. I'm still working on it and it's a long way to go. All I did so far was keeping my column straight, lean from my ankles, shorter stride, working with my arms backwards and not pumping them forward, midfoot landing and bending the knees instead of picking them up. that's it

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

That's a fair bit to be going on with - interesting about the arms as I def push mine forwards...thank you image

• Options

Can't complaint image

Re-registered in my old GP (hadntn't shown up in over 5 years)

They were nice to me in reception, explained to them you need a doc signature if you want to compete in France and the doc I hadn't seen for years wanted to see me.

I walked into his office and he asked regular questions plus the date of paris marathon.

I said - 7th April plus French are v strict - then showed him my running club card and England Athletic Competition licence member card.

He said - alright this £20, Ill sign no problem, let me take your blood pressure to show I did something 

So I am glad all was sorted

so all in all the french idea turns out to be just a way to provide some cash to buy our GPs beers

• Options

that's so odd that GP would take money for it. I asked twice (actually 3 times, third asking to write on it that I can't run as I was pregnant and wanted my entrance fee back), every time it was a different doctor and they have never asked me for money. Just read it and signed it.

• Options

Not that odd

Read other threader posts

NHS charge you for this even though they don't conduct any examination (!!) as they feel that's beyond their obligations

• Options
    Another midweek long run in the can. Just over 11 miles
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

That's interesting, wi.I've definitely seen a woman running as you describe.Shehardly seemed to be making any effort but she was going faster than me and I was doing my best with a lots of huffing and puffing.I'm going to try the 'arms' thing. Thanks.

Massive effort, today, to cover 13k cross-country. The views were worth it but it ws much harder that I would ever have thought. And I need to learn to navigate with a compass..

Helterskelter...are you there? Are you going to volunteer for the Games? Eggy?

• Options
    I'm comin up for the games. So up for it. Expect it to be popular and really good atmosphere just like London2012.
  • Options
    Sergio - your doctor has, I assume, conducted your examination as he felt appropriate. He is entirely entitled to charge for the certificate. As far as to his (or the NHS's obligations) to you, what did you mean?
  • Options

Heavy week for me so far... my schedule has been:
    Mon: 5 miles easy
    Tues: 7 x Yasso 800s @ 3.30
    Weds: Tempo 2 x 20min @ 7.30m/m
    Thurs: 10 miles. 5m @ 8.48m/m. 5m @ 8m/m.
    17m Sat and 5m Sunday and that will be my first ever 50m week. How much longer til Paris?? image

What sort of weekly mileage does everyone have planned over the next 10 weeks or so? I'm aiming to sneak under 4 hours so I be looking at 40-50, possibly up to 55 if I can handle it.

• Options

RR - that's interesting about the long run pace. Does your body learn to burn fat when you run slower because your heart rate remains slightly lower? When I trained for my first marathon I was doing my long runs as quick as I could (a go hard or go home approach). That would explain why I blew up at mile 20 on the big day! Thanks for the info. Slow and steady wins (finishes) the race.

• Options

that's interesting Tommy, being a pink pen runner (that's the one at the back of you guys), I am running as much as you but a lot less milage.  I will start to pick it up this week - February will be my heavy running month.  Slow and steady right enough, you will have had your tea before I am home at 5 hrs!  

• Options

Wi..   you might also consider POSE running.   It's not unlike Chi, but I find it more comfortable for long distances....

Great to see the activity building up on here..  image

• Options

Tommy - I learned the hard way when I started doing half marathons. Thought if I just did long runs (up to 10 miles) at my half marathon pace then I would be alright because I had the distance. I was so wrong. In my first one I went off too quick (caught up in the emotion) and after 8 miles I could hardly put one foot in front of the other. Then I followed a schedule and knocked 15 mins off my time and ran all the way round.

They key is some speedwork in the week and long and slow at the weekend. Then on the day of the race it should hopefully meet somewhere in the middle.

Also there is the injury aspect and placing too much strain on your body.

It sounds as if I know what I am talking about. The knowledge picked up from forums!

I put it in last night. 6 miles in 48 minutes. Rest today then Saturday morning will be my longest run ever at 15 miles. A daunting prospect.........

• Options
    Audrey, you'll not be alone in the pink pen! I'll be there and at this rate, my time will be even slower than last year...
  • Options
    Tommy Mac 2 wrote (see)

Slow and steady wins (finishes) the race.

/members/images/436375/Gallery/slimak.JPG

DV Yes, Dr Romanov is waiting patiently for his turn

• Options

Has anybody here done the Barcelona marathon before?  It's on the maybe list for next year as it would fit in with Easter skiing, budget allowing....

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Jimbob- Nope. Although dorney lake is close to me - 4 laps is just too boring for a half marathon.

• Options

4 boring laps, i know, and i have to keep my eyes on the (Paris)prize. When you get all this fitness and speed it's really tempting to go and blow it with a thunderous PB in a half marathon which is my usual distance. I've got 2 halves in March - i'll stick to my super slow 18 mile run scheduled in for that day!