Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Megs - Very well done. Looks like your training is really paying off.

Iain - Great film that.

• Options

Megs! You're! allowed! to! use! exclamation! marks! if! you! knock! 21! minutes! off! your! P! B! Well done image 

!

RS - hope you had a nice time. There were loads of birthday messages for you, stuff about inner chimps and how to tame them, some stuff about tapering, far too much technical information about urinating in public, some stuff about glutes and young men, Danni had a great story about him inspiring a US soldier, Keyser Suze's finally back posting again and Emmy's had her first weekend of the year with no marathons.

And Orbutt's started the Orbot craze. It's like the Mobot, but with an O.

• Options
    Emmy, RR, TD - fantastic, any others for In The Long Run? Can't wait.

RR - I avoided the bryanair option by going BA to Vienna. I'll get the train over on the Sunday hopefully.

Weedy - superb summary!
  • Options
    IM2, I'm gonna chat to Rich about it when I see him in Paris. I am interested, its a case of trying to fit it in around family life, but its an amazing cause and I'd like to contribute if I can.
  • Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

DV - glad no injuries!

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

I'm down as a maybe for In The Long Run. I need to make sure I'm fully injury free before committing.

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

What's The Long Run?  I only know of a movie of that name, about the Comrades Marathon. Nice movie.

My quads are hammered after this weekend. Unsure why. Ran pretty easy and distance not excessive. No major hills.  It's a cutback week so might take a few days off.

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Dannirr - It's the event TD is helping to organise running from Bratislava to Brussels as part of a relay team in order to raise awareness of people trafficking. A very worthy cause.

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Have just read back.  Thanks for the birthday wishes all.

and I only said I beat you dannir and orbutt because it's mad that I got the time I did!!image

Megs...THAT'S EVEN a CAPITALS EVENT!  Congratulations!!!!!  But before you get too carried away with setting a new target do a bit of analysis.  Look at the pace for your LSRs (if you've timed them and know the kms) and how it has moved, add in your mid-week runs as a moderater and then see what you come out with.  Without knowing, i think you're on target for a sub 4:30...but only you know best.

• Options
    A sunny good morning to you all.

PC91: feel free to take me off the list with the Gold Silver Bronze time predictions for the race. I'm not running it, first time in 5 years. They were just hypothetical examplesimage

Dannirr. Glad you asked. In The Long Run is an event were are doing mid July, to raise money and awareness for the problem of People Trafficking. We will run a continuous chain along an established people trafficking route, from Bratislava to Brussels, 1,250kms. So far, HelterSkelter, Running Rodent, Iain Moore, Marathon Maus, Emmy H have signed up to be part of the team. I am helping to organise the event on behalf of an organisation called Oasis. There will be plenty of other people in the team but its going to be a blast to have such a strong RW contingent.

160kms a day is the target. It's going to be long, tough and FUN! image

Might get myself out for some intervals today at lunchtime. Another notch on the recovery yardstick I hope.
  • Options

A sunny morning back to tricky and all the crew. Perfect morning for a run accross hampstead heath and other hilly parts of North London. I took it well easy after sunday (well all that my achy yet well stretched quads would permit) but 6 miles in the sunshine - a couple of 10s, couple of 9s, couple of 8s felt just right. More rest then onto the next session Thursday.

TD i'm sure with some of the data you have been sharing over the last few weeks you could turn in a pretty ok marathon performance by most people's standards (even if not by your own) - Any chance you'll be finishing Paris?

• Options

It's very simple Jimbob - I didn't enter the race (but thx for the compliment). I was still recovering from my knee operation/ injury at the registration time and didn't want any stress or distraction from just getting better. 10 months ago a sports doc told me I might not ever run again...

I still have a GFA place in VLM to postpone for this year.  But I am entering my first race of the year this w/e, a 12km effort. Really, I am a very happy boy and I'm going to have grerat fun cheering everyone on in Paris (which is just a couple of hours drive away for me). image

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

We're expecting great things from the cheerleading outfit, TD.  No pressure...

• Options
    Got my medical certificate signed off this morning. A much easier process than I had envisaged.

I changed doctors 5 years ago when I moved house and although the missus registered us both at the new nearest surgery, I've never actually been. So this morning was the first time I've ever seen my new doc. A quick chat and taking of my blood pressure later, and my form is signed and stamped with no charge. Impressive.

Question for the Paris vets - is there a "competitors" area or similar somewhere on the official Paris website? I remember being given my bib number when I signed up, and am sure I wrote it down somewhere, but typically have forgotten where...so am looking on the website for it but can't seem to find it...
  • Options

TD - speaking of the Long Run, any news on the parallelathon? And did you get my email the other week?

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Johnny - The race info including your bib number isn't on the marathon site. It's on the race organisers site ASO.

• Options

Woken up this morning feeling like I got beaten up last night....

Lazy day, followed by 6 miles with Suzie helping her get back up to speed tonight

• Options
    TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

I followed up my weekend LSR with 6miles last night. I am now definitely in the fatigued stage that has been mentioned on the thread and every single mile felt like it was the last 1 of a marathon. image

Legs still feeling it today so fingers crossed a 4mile lunch time jog will do the trick.

• Options
    Ah, that would be why I couldn't find it...cheers Eggy
  • Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    TD- RS has a great supporters guide.image it's a shame that the newbies will not run with the Spiritual leader but your guidance from the sidelines will be appreciated.

So we wear green ribbons to identify ourselves at the Arc. I thought about pinning one on the back of my top with PC91 printed in bold letters for during race.
  • Options

Hi guys.  I have been dipping in & out of the thread from time to time.

Where are you planning to meet after the race for a well earned pint of Guinness?

It's blowing a veritable gale here today.  Hoping that the gusts of wind diminish as I need to get out for a run at some point.

Anyone know if it is possible to buy energy gels at the expo?  I'm after the ones with caffine in them.  Can't remember if there were stands selling such things at Paris 3 yrs ago.

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Elizabeth - There was plenty of stands selling gels and the like last year, but depending on what brand you use it might be worth making sure they have a stand at the expo.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Welcome home, Radar Sal!

Before I forget... The Paris Half medal is nice.Last year, the mara' medal was a larger version of the Semi one.If that's true this year, I think everyone will be happy. * We want to forget...2011(?)..the year it was the horrrible, cheap, lightweight thing...*

• Options

Are you all meeting before the start too?  Got the pub details noted for after, assuming I'm still standing.

Gold - 4h30 - 4h45 (in  my dreams......)

Silver - 4h45 - 4h59 - probably do-able if I keep up this hilly work

Bronze - 5hrs - will be happy if it's that and will be weeping in my beer if it's over

Well done on knocking over 20 mins off the half, I thought I was chuffed with knocking 10 mins - WOW - well done to you....

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    yer_maj wrote (see)

We're expecting great things from the cheerleading outfit, TD.  No pressure...

Yep... i'm expecting pom-poms image

• Options

I think this runnning lark is getting addictive..........again!!image Just  in from another 8.5 miles but instead of being easy, it was at 9.07mm pace........oops!! But on a good note, that was after kettlebells and walking the dog this morning and after last nights 9.3miles and Sundays 15...........so even with very heavy legs(quite literally) there  is hope!! Maybe......

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Onetit, we try to have a quick hello and, non-creepy, group hug ...and a photo...right under the Arc at 8 am. the post-mortem venue will probably be Corcoran's, at Saint Michel. I'll organise a mobiles list so that no-one has to wander round the Expo' /go for coffee/panic etc on their own...unless they like that..and, I think, TD is going to organise a Saturday evening pasta party.* Any chance of us all being together, this year, TD? *

Oirish pub

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

yer_maj, my Eiffel Tower dress arrived.Subtle, it ain't....

Anyone else ( guys included, of course...) fancy a team strip in repeat E. towers here  or will ym and I just look like a couple of nutters?

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I'd be happy to have a team strip as long as it doesnt cost the earth. How much was your dress, ATM?

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

It did cost the earth..It was £78. 'Cheaper, if I'd bought the material and had made it.But I can't sew.image On the other hand, I intend to bumble through the streets of Paris til I'm extremely old so I'll wear it again. ( But only in the pub...)