Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    Rr is your mate related to pf?

How's the taper madness going princess? Is your tiara staying put on your new do? Am very tempted by a long wknd in mont st Michel.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Running Rodent wrote (see)
    Talking of shrews, on a slight tangent, any ideas why someone was running VLM dressed as a giant mole?

Just to clarify, GFA for London and Boston qualifying are slightly different things. Get a time under the appropriate threshold for London, and you get a place. For Boston, you have to have a certain qualifying time just to get into the first round of entry (there's no open ballot as such). Once the first round closes, they look at the numbers in each category, and adjust the times accordingly, which can mean the threshold falls by another coupe of minutes. If you still meet that, you get to reapply, but the fastest people in each category get to apply first, until the category is filled. So there's no guaranteeing you'll get in, even with a qualifying time.

Can you tell I've looked into this image ?

It's a dream for me to get a BQ but i'd settle for GFAimage

@KeyserSuze wrote (see)

Hi all, quick question - I'm thinking of an autumn marathon this year (November - that's autumn, right?) and am swithering between Florence or Kasterlee. Has anyone done either of these or can recommend another?

Needs to be end of November to fit in with the honeymoon which'll be last week of September/first of October, ideally somewhere cheap to get to...

MM - seconded, would love to run Berlin! Maybe next year? 

Kasterlee is fast, small but cheap and easy to get to. I've always been tempted to do it but it falls on a bad weekend for me every year. Florence always has good reviews (i know a few people on another thread that go every year). I'd love to go but the travelling is a complete pain in the arse.

Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

KeyserSuze - haven't done either of those races but in Autumn I have done Amsterdam and Cologne which are fairly close to you and both recommended. I hear that Eindhoven is a very fast course too, round the same time of year. Good day everyone...

Seconded. Amsterdam is really cheap and easy to get to and a flat PB course but i found it a tad boring.

Cologne is my personal favourite race in the entire world. I run the half every year with a group of friends and we have the best time drinking and running along the course (yes.... this does include singing german drinking songs...).

At the moment it's still 'open' but i'll definitely be going to Cologne and probably Amsterdam if you want a friendly face? image

• Options

Africa anyone, this is from a running FB page:

I was chatting to the lady running the Sierra Leone marathon today and apparently as there are so many spaces left they are some free flights available. You would need to pay £350 and raise £500-1k in sponsorship but this can be done after the race too. Not bad for a week all inclusive in Africa! Any takers?  Race is in 5 weeks.

Dannirr, nice turn out, about the same in Paris last night.

• Options
    Emmy H wrote (see)
    Running Rodent wrote (see)
    Talking of shrews, on a slight tangent, any ideas why someone was running VLM dressed as a giant mole?

Just to clarify, GFA for London and Boston qualifying are slightly different things. Get a time under the appropriate threshold for London, and you get a place. For Boston, you have to have a certain qualifying time just to get into the first round of entry (there's no open ballot as such). Once the first round closes, they look at the numbers in each category, and adjust the times accordingly, which can mean the threshold falls by another coupe of minutes. If you still meet that, you get to reapply, but the fastest people in each category get to apply first, until the category is filled. So there's no guaranteeing you'll get in, even with a qualifying time.

Can you tell I've looked into this image ?

It's a dream for me to get a BQ but i'd settle for GFAimage

@KeyserSuze wrote (see)

Hi all, quick question - I'm thinking of an autumn marathon this year (November - that's autumn, right?) and am swithering between Florence or Kasterlee. Has anyone done either of these or can recommend another?

Needs to be end of November to fit in with the honeymoon which'll be last week of September/first of October, ideally somewhere cheap to get to...

MM - seconded, would love to run Berlin! Maybe next year? 

Kasterlee is fast, small but cheap and easy to get to. I've always been tempted to do it but it falls on a bad weekend for me every year. Florence always has good reviews (i know a few people on another thread that go every year). I'd love to go but the travelling is a complete pain in the arse.

Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

KeyserSuze - haven't done either of those races but in Autumn I have done Amsterdam and Cologne which are fairly close to you and both recommended. I hear that Eindhoven is a very fast course too, round the same time of year. Good day everyone...

Seconded. Amsterdam is really cheap and easy to get to and a flat PB course but i found it a tad boring.

Cologne is my personal favourite race in the entire world. I run the half every year with a group of friends and we have the best time drinking and running along the course (yes.... this does include singing german drinking songs...).

At the moment it's still 'open' but i'll definitely be going to Cologne and probably Amsterdam if you want a friendly face? image

Cool, thanks Emmy - friendly face would be lovely! Amsterdam is on the wishlist for next year - it's a week after the wedding so off the cards for this year. Why did we have our first date in September?! Why did I not realise that in ten years time I'll want to run marathons in the Autumn?! Ha.

TD - Cologne looks good too. 

Still tempted by Kasterlee, think I prefer the smaller marathons. London was awesome but slightly over whelming at the same time!

TP - Sierra Leone?! That is going to be HOT, right?

• Options

RS:  thanks for the reminder - can I say only the exclusive club of "medical interventioners" ever get to spend time in an amublance and still finish a marathon - it a very exclusive club I'll have you know.  But the key bit of information is that we all finishimage may not be very pretty but we finish. 

Hence mont st michels aim is :   Finish with NO MEDICAL INTERVENTION ...... not a lot to ask i do feel.

Anyway taper madness has extended to my legs... didn't to 12 - 14 mile plod did 11 miles at 8,54 mm avg pace .. really don't know why but at mile 11 within sight of homne thought "you know what lets go for quality rather than quantity" so stopped could have gone on but decided that everything go well so stop whilst winning !!!!  No trotting now until thursday then only 5 so all good. 

Am feeling tad nervous about hair cut this afternoon but in a good way!!!!

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

You are gonna love Mont St Michel Princess- the race and the venue, worth the wait.

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Gaaaah.  GAAAAAAAH.  I strayed out of here, took a wrong turn, found myself in General and....on a thread full of argy bargy about walking in marathons....with RR's very good friend DF3 being Prospero in the middle of it.  Eggy's just been in to administer a slap but no good ever comes of stepping out of this thread, I tell you. image

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

yer_maj - There are some really bitter trolls in some of the threads. I particularly love how the forums biggest twat constantly informs us with tails of what is an "achievement" in marathon running, despite the fact said twat hasn't completed one yet!

This thread is an oasis of friendliness and support. Maybe I should pop back to that thread to annoy him that I stopped at mile 23 for a chat and hugs with the awesome support crew, before Jimbob shoved some jelly sweets in my hand and sent me on my way.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Eggy - Which threads are you talking about?

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Eggyh73 wrote (see)

yer_maj - There are some really bitter trolls in some of the threads. I particularly love how the forums biggest twat constantly informs us with tails of what is an "achievement" in marathon running, despite the fact said twat hasn't completed one yet!

This thread is an oasis of friendliness and support. Maybe I should pop back to that thread to annoy him that I stopped at mile 23 for a chat and hugs with the awesome support crew, before Jimbob shoved some jelly sweets in my hand and sent me on my way.

Please do - tell him there were tongues and everything.**

** I may have made this bit up

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Hope your strain is nothing too serious Tricky- would be great to see you back in a marathon some time soon.

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Emmy - The madness is contained within this monstrosity http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/general-running/walking-a-marathon-is-easier/247936.html

You know the usual mob deciding what a "proper" marathon is in terms of time etc. Normally "proper" marathoning seems to be based on what they can do, or think they can do, rather than say the elites! Added with the typical smattering of belittling anyone who doesn't meet their arbitrary standard.

Personally I couldn't care what these idiots think, but I hate to see them gang up on people who have achieved something because it doesn't fall in the nice little box of what they think a runner is.

That's one thing I love about this thread. We are all at different levels of ability, but there's nothing but support and encouragement for all from first till last. We all know what it means to get to the start line and to cross that finish line, and even if at times we forget we know it's not all about the time or how you got there. Just that you conquered it despite everything else.

• Options
    Eggyh73 wrote (see)

...before Jimbob shoved some jelly sweets in my hand and sent me on my way.

Did your ma never warn you about accepting sweeties off strange men?

• Options

Bloody hell.......thats the door well and truly slammed and I won't be going back!!

But you know something..........They sound like the majority of people around here, which is probably why my closest friend is my computer!!image

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Dirty Leeds Rob wrote (see)
    Eggyh73 wrote (see)

He wasn't that strange, we'd already flashed each other! image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Eggyh73 wrote (see)
    Eggyh73 wrote (see)

Plus when i slipped him a handful of jelly Babies i man-hugged him, wanted to feel his heat and sweat against meimage

• Options

god that other thread - internet troll twat prick face c u next tuesday - AHHHH I WANT TO SLAP THAT BITCH!

• Options
    The Jimbob wrote (see)
    Eggyh73 wrote (see)
    Eggyh73 wrote (see)

Plus when i slipped him a handful of jelly Babies i man-hugged him, wanted to feel his heat and sweat against meimage

And to think I've offered you a bed in my room in Shrewsbury....

...result!

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Orbutt - can you tell me again how to download the race video without paying for it? image

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    The Jimbob wrote (see)

god that other thread - internet troll twat prick face c u next tuesday - AHHHH I WANT TO SLAP THAT BITCH!

I think the entry to that particular event would be as popular as the VLM ballot!

• Options
    TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭
    Wow, just read that other thread! Glad I'm here in a friendly place as that is horrible. It's so judgemental rather than supportive. I've loved getting in to running as there is a such a feel good atmosphere between runners no matter how good or fast you are.
  • Options

This study is sooooooooo unproductive today..........think I need a power cut to make me focus!image

• Options

Just posted on that other thread and now never going back to it!!!  Very scary!!!

• Options

Oooh very scary indeed, I'll hide in here.  Eggy - great post btw.

PF - best of luck for the chop, you will look even more fabulous than you already do!

• Options
    That thread is enormously improved by having DF3 on ignore. That way you only get to see the replies and fill in what he actually said from your own head....

Good luck with the go-faster haircut PF. Have you painted your toenails yet?
  • Options
    James B73James B73 ✭✭✭

I have put my view across. I have given a controlled response as opposed to a volley of insults.