Options

Newbie feeling disheartened already :(

Comments

• Options
    Wow you guys are hard core for beginners! If I do 5k I really feel it and dont really do more than 2 a week or at least until the muscle soreness passes. 5-6 times a week would finish me off!!!
  • Options
    I think it helps that I've been exercising 4 times a week for months so, even though I'm new to running, my body's used to the pounding. Ha ha! Plus, exercise is addictive so I just always wanna do more image
  • Options

Type 1 shouldn't stop you doing anything Vicky!  In my prevoious incarnation as NHS Droog I worked for three diabetes consultants so have a little insight in to the T1/exercise issues.  We had a couple of girls who had T1 and ran marathons.  I won;t lie and say it was easy for them, because I suspect you know better already, but if you've been exercising regularly already you'll have a feel for whats required in terms of replacement.  If you bear in mind the tougher conditions that go with outdoor running I reckon you'll be fine for longer distances.  If at a ny point however you're not entirely sure, discuss your requirements with your consultant.

• Options

I dont know if this will help your motivation a little bit......I seem to have had all the same issues you have in the past couple of weeks!

I am doing a 5 week, 5Km walk to run program. The first week was easy with 1min/1min walk-run. I found the second and third weeks the hardest. They were 2min on/off and 3min on/off, and I thought I was going to die! But I perservered and today did my first 7min run/2 min walk day, and although it was hard I found that when I got throught he first couple of minutes and settled into the running it actually got easier (until I started to get really tired!).

You might, as I did, find it gets easier after you have pushed through the first couple of minutes and get into a rhythm??

But good luck and stick with it!!

(Im doing the sprint distance at the London Triathlon this year! image)

• Options

I have been running on and off for a while, and always find the first mile or so the most difficult, then you get used to it and settle into a rhythm. I still run very slowly though, but have completed some half marathons and am doing a marathon in November. After that I am going to try to work on the speed - I reckon the marathon will take me about 6 hours and I really want to be able to finish these things without being last all the time. Not that there is anything wrong with being last - better than being sat at home!

• Options

So this is what I do best - procrastinate.  I have logged all of my recent runs on MapMyRun, I have bought a water bottle belt so that I am ready for my outdoors running programme, I have read through running forums and articles on training and I am yet to step outside be that to the gym or for the fartlek session I am meant to be doing today.  I have persuaded myself it will be cooler now and I am in no rush! So I about to get changed and head outside, wish me luck!

p.s. it's Jen, my nickname has finally been changed!

• Options

You definitely can do it Vicky! Keep on going and I promise it will get easier!

I did a couch to 5K plan, and at first I thought I'd throw up or die from 2 minutes of running but I followed the plan to the letter and am now comfortably running 3 miles several times a week and doing longer runs to prepare for my first half marathon!

So good luck, take heart, and you WILL get there! And when money's not as tight, definitely go and get fitted for proper running shoes- they'll make a massive difference image

• Options

Jen - hope you got out

Charlotte - I have done a couple of sprint tris this year - great fun!

• Options
    Let us know how it went, Jen!

Sarah - thank you for the encouragement; very sweet of you image

I'm looking forward to the week after next, as we're going on a seaside break for our wedding anniversary and I think I'll enjoy runs along the seafront image
  • Options

I did get out!  Unfortunately in the midst of all my procrastinating I didn't hydrate enough but I read on other forums about people stopping off at pubs for water so in I strolled half way through my run and looking like a beetroot.

I modified the session so that I did 2 sets of pyramid fartlek (1, 2, 3, 2, 1, mins with 1 min recovery after each run and a 6 min rest in the middle) but my recoveries were walking instead of jogging and I'm fairly certain my 'runs' were more crawls at times.

Definitely different running outside, I thought I had developed quite a good technique on the treadmill but it disappeared as soon as I went outdoors.  Still, I got out so I am claiming it as a victory!

Loving reading everyone elses running stories, keep me posted!

Mathschick, Tris!  I think I'll stick to the running for now but I could be tempted in the future!

• Options
    Well done!

Bit of an update re: me feeling like I was struggling yesterday. My local running group (which I'm joining properly when I've finshed my C25) have invited me along for a chat about how to warm up and cool down properly, as that may be to blame for my ankle pain.
  • Options

vicky - that is great  - they sound like a nice friendly club. I haven't joined a club yet, but am going along on Tuesday evening to have a go with one. I have always run alone, but think I could do with joining a club to try to help me speed up a bit!

• Options
    Yeah, they've been really supportive already and are going to help me feel totally ready for my 5k run in October. I thought I should join one to get some more expert advice.
  • Options

that's great. I have decided to look further away than the running club closest to me, which I think can be a bit snobby about speed. I have found one not too far away that seem more supportive and inclusive of slower people so I am giving it a go on Tuesday.

• Options
    I would be interested to hear what it's like.
  • Options

Have you guys noticed we are in the 'hot threads'?!  Or is that just my feed!  That's awesome Vicky and Mathschick.  I don't feel like I have time to join a running club yet but I would be interested in your experiences.

• Options
    pinkbugpinkbug ✭✭✭

See if you have a parkrun in your area, its a free 5km timed event held every saturday morning at 9am open to all abilites, its not a race against other runners but you can see how you are improving as the weeks go on. Go to www.parkrun.com for more details.

• Options
    Unfortunately there are no parkruns anywhere near me, which I'm gutted about!!
  • Options

Vicky, I'm in the same boat as you re Parkrun and currently trying to find out if there would be an interest if I started one so, if your interested maybe you could start one in your area?

• Options
    Yes, that's a good idea (provided it was pretty straightforward and doesn't involve too much dedication from me!) - I think I will chat to members of my running club when I see them to see if they would be interested.
  • Options

If you go to the Parkrun site you'll find the contact details of the local 'Rep' and they should help you and send you an information pack with more details,they wouldn't want you to do this by yourself, Parkruns are run by groups of volunteers. Yes, running club members would be a good place to start image

• Options
    Lovely. If I had help, it would be easier image I will see if anyone wants to join in!
  • Options
    Vicky don't worry when I started my mate said 3 times a week power walking,then just add 1 min of running to that and build up slowly.

Running is not like gym work,swimming or any other exercise,you have to get you body used to what's going on1st..

It's nothing to be worried about...stick at it ..you do great
  • Options

Hey Vicky, my own update, I am injured image Was meant to be running 10k race today but my knee hurts in the sharp stabby pain and limited weightbearing way.  All of my friends have told me to rest up and I have read a lot of the articles on here and it seems they may be right.  I've only just got started so feeling pretty disheartened! 

• Options
    Oh no! Sorry to hear that! You are in the right thread for feeling disheartened! I'm in no position to give advice but I do know that injuries happen to the best of us so I guess it's just one of those things. Are you seeing a doctor? So disappointing for you to miss a race though - I know how it feels to set your mind on something like that.

Jeremy - thank you for your kind words, it really does help when people say that because it helps me realise that I'm normal! Ha ha!
  • Options
    I spoke to my running group about Parkruns and they said they inquired about starting them a while ago but it takes a lot of dedication and... ??6,000! Most groups secure funding for it apparently but I don't have the time to set up something like that so I will just cope without! Shame though.
  • Options

momma cub - oh, a shame about the race, but there will be others. You are right to rest the injury.

vicky - blimey that is a lot of money to set up a parkrun.

• Options
    Yeah, I know! Right, following my painful lower leg on Thursday, I had a rest day on Friday and a weight resistance session yesterday. If I had a second rest day today, would it slow up my progress and perhaps push back what little steps I have made so far? Do you think I should run today to avoid leaving a three-day gap between runs?
  • Options

it is always better to rest if you have any soreness - you won't lose any fitness in just a few days, and running if it is hurting will just make it worse

• Options

It is definately better to rest for a couple of days then go back and follow the plan again after...Im sure it will not affect your fitness levels, and if it did then ti would be minimal so it would only take a few days to get back to where you were! image