Options

Newbie feeling disheartened already :(

124»

Comments

• Options

well done Vicky

save the riverside route for weekend runs!image

I live in quite a small town so routes are very limited in the winter. I bought a headtorch so I can venture out of town a bit, but I go very early in the morning when the worry is more of being knocked over by a driver than being attacked by anyone, personal safety has to come first. Although I probably have a good chance of outrunning anyone....

• Options
    Tonight was my first group session and I really enjoyed it! I was pretty slow compared with the others but my walking intervals were very short and far between and... I ran for seven minutes solid!!!!! Very happy!

Am gutted about my ankles though. They really hurt yet again and are still sore now. The group leader suggested I do strengthening exercises/stretches for them and, of course, hurry up and get some proper running shoes. I really hope the problem goes away because it will really hold me back otherwise. I was limping toward the end image
  • Options

vicky - glad the group run went well

shoes are really important, so you might find that once you have decent running shoes the ankle problem goes away, but there is an element of strengthening as well that will help

I am very slow compared to everyone else in the running club I have joined, but they don't mind and have been going out of their way to 'look after' me

• Options

Hey Vicky

Glad the group helped & sorted you with exercises to help! 

I took a break from running a few months ago and have just started up again. The first couple of times my throat closed up & felt tight (as it does with unfit people - though I did pilates several times a week whilst on the break!) and I can't run even 1/4 what I could do before. Running/jogging takes practice - don't worry, you'll get to be able to run far if you give it time image 

Try to control your breathing too, I breathe in twice with a stride of each leg, then one long out breath with 2 strides.... hope that makes sense?! So step 1: in, step 2: in, step 3 + 4: out!

Rach

• Options

Hey Vicky, so impressed!  Go with the new PB... seven minutes!  I have started a new runners world training programme and gone for a beginners level one - why did I think it was a good idea to start on intermediate level!  Feeling good so far and have entered a few more races so we shall see how that goes image

• Options
    Well done! What's the programme like? Is it run/walk intervals at the moment? While I enjoy solo running, I don't think I would have done that PB if I hadn't joined the group because the leader was encouraging me to keep going and I was enjoying it so much (until my ankle agony!) that I wasn't worrying about how fast or far I was going.
  • Options
    Perhaps I'm just a nutter but I love a goal to aim for so I've signed up to a challenge on Facebook to run 1,000km in a year (starting from tomorrow)! I know I may not achieve it but I like having a challenge to stay motivated image
  • Options

I've just found the tribesport site.  You can sign up through facebook and if you like to set yourself challenges its a pretty good way of doing it!  I signed up yesterday and have signed up for loads of challenges as it is the only way I can motivate myself most of the time.  Also, I have signed up for challenges in things I don't really like but know are good for me like abs work!  We'll see how long it lasts. image

The programmeis for 1/2M and is quite challenging (no walk/run at all and lots of long runs on Sundays that will be interesting) but the previous programme was too much mileage too soon and with this one I currently feel like I still have energy (so far!)

Glad the running club is working out for you, some work friends have been asking about running clubs so maybe I will finally make the leap! Have a great weekend!

• Options
    Yep, I signed up to loads of Tribesport challenges today and have already got to level 2 because of the challenges I've already inadvertently done!

I would say, definitely join a group. I didn't find it intimidating, just supportive. Our group has three ability groups so, even though I was slow, most of the others were of a similar level to me and they were all very friendly. In five weeks' time I will apparently be up to the intermediate standard (able to run about 5k) so can join the main runs on Thursdays and Fridays image
  • Options
    Just had to come on and say how excited I am because I ran 1.5 miles today six minutes faster than on Saturday! Partly because I stopped to walk for only one minute and because I made myself run faster and, despite being short of breatha and very tired, it felt very good!
  • Options

wow, well doneimage

• Options

Way to go!  Awesome work!  That's a complete transformation from where you were a few weeks ago!  image

• Options
    Even better news - I did 3.3 miles in 40 mins this week. Woo!
  • Options

Vicky - that is brilliant, well doneimageimage

• Options
    Vicky Jones 10 wrote (see)
    ... I look at the end of my plan when it says "run for 40 minutes" and I don't know whether to laugh or cry. The thought of me ever being able to do that is unbelievable!

What would you say to the Vicky Jones of a month ago now image