Options

Great North Run 2013

Comments

• Options

Dawsey, you should never swap places with someone else & a major reason for this is health & safety. People may question that but at one of my races this year a lady collapsed & fitted. The info on the race number allowed paramedics to know about her condition & issue appropriate treatment and contact her relatives who were there. you should either contact the charities, most only need you to raise £400 through sponsorship or just wait for next year. 

• Options

Afternoon all.

12.7 miles for me today in very changeable weather - one minute it was boiling hot, the next it was lashing it down, then the wind picked up in the later miles.  I want to be up to about 15 miles before the GNR though, so now's the time to start knuckling down to some serious training.

I'm a bit tired now though ... having slacked off since last Sunday's 12 miler I did 6.5 on Friday afternoon, raced a parkrun on Saturday morning and then this today.

• Options

Nice work Shielsy!

Hi Andy - how's your training going?

• Options

Hi. I'm looking for some advise on travel/accommodation. My boyfriend and I are running GNR for the first time. I have booked a hotel in Gateshead but now thinking this might not be the best plan. Any advise on travelling to the start or more importantly getting away at the end. We expect to finish in 1hr 45. Would it be better to park say half an hour walk away from the finish and use public transport to get to the start rather than at the end? If so any suggestions for good places to park?

• Options

Sarah, is your hotel near a Metro station? Or on a bus route? I'm not hugely familiar with Gateshead I'm afraid.

• Options

Sarah - I stayed pin Gateshead one year and just walked to Gateshead metro and then got it vbsck to the hotel at the end. That was really easy but depends where you are staying

• Options

I cannot see the issue with purchasing a number from eBay, I know they don't want people to sell the entries, as that would lead to Entry Touts but they could allow transfers.

If I died wearing someone elses number, then no issues. I would know who I was, and the person who sold it me would know that they were not dead. You put your NOK details and any medical stuff on the rear of the number anyhow.

Accomodation - We stayed in Darlington last time & caught the train, it was just crazy prices to stay near Newcastle. Madness

• Options

Five weeks today and it will be all over - that leaves only four weekends of LSR training left image

• Options
    Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭

Sarah, from my experience the roads out of South Shields after the end of the run are very busy indeed and you'd have to expect long traffic jams getting back to Gateshead. I know getting the Metro back involves queuing, as you'd expect, but it could be a better option, certainly less stressful. As for the start, if your hotel isn't too far from a Metro station, you could get a Metro to Haymarket in Newcastle from where it's a mile or less to the starting area. 

I haven't done the GNR for 4 years, so the situation may have changed, but I'm sure the roads will always be busy.

• Options

Interesting 16 miler yesterday - at 12 miles had to stop for 4 minutes whien a cow would not let me through ate gate. It was obviously a clever cow as it was one of those 2 way gates to sto cattle getting through but this cow had obviously worked out if it waited for someone to open its side then it could then push second gate itself. It waited for 4 minutes and every time I went to open gate it tried to push through. 

• Options

What a clever (and patient!) cow.

Well done on the 16 miles, BP - are you training for a marathon or just keeping the miles high generally?

• Options

Thanks for the above advise.  I have now booked a (slightly) cheaper hotel in Newcastle itself for an extra day so will queue for the metro back to there.  Not long now......

• Options

Vixx, training is going very well. Managed 2x 10 milers this week without much trouble, 1.27 and then a deliberately slower 1:28 Saturday. I now have a running partner from my club who is similar pace and we keep each other going and both want to get under the magical 2 hours this year. If we can keep in shape then it should happen although the GNR will be about patience and not going off too quickly as I've learnt to pace myself in training. Going to do 12 miles Sunday and see where that leaves me but physically fitness going well and now mentally stronger too.

How's things going with your training?

• Options

Shielsy - yes got York marathon in October so in week 7 of training plan.

Is there anyone doing parkruns in North East this weekend as I am up visiting and may be tempted on Saturday morning - however also got to fit in an 18 miler as well but could do that on Sunday morning.

• Options

Hi - been offered a place in this by a friend who can't run - does anyone know if he can transfer his place to me or will I have to run as him if I want to do it?

• Options

BP - of course, York marathon.  I must see if I can get down for that to cheer everyone on.

I'm out on Friday night, so I don't think I'll be up for a parkrun on Saturday morning, sorry.

• Options

Bearsted - theres a 5k race in newcastle on the sunday, entries on the day if you facy it ?? Its in te same place they usually have the parkrun

• Options

My race pack arrived today - 31588 white Zone G.

I’m running for The Brain Tumour Charity this year in memory of Mick the Mackem. Mick’s hospice didn’t have any fundraising links so this is the next best thing.  It's my first ever run for a charity and I wanted to run for something I had some sort of affinity to. I’d really like to raise at least £500 so if anybody would like to make a donation, no matter how small, my fundraising page is https://mydonate.bt.com/fundraiserscolinshealgnr.

• Options

Skinny Fetish,

Race numbers cannot be transferred but they don't check numbers versus identification unlike the VLM.

Just fill in your details on the back of the race number, including any medical conditions. Enjoy..

• Options
    Sarah Grisdale wrote (see)

Hi. I'm looking for some advise on travel/accommodation. My boyfriend and I are running GNR for the first time. I have booked a hotel in Gateshead but now thinking this might not be the best plan. Any advise on travelling to the start or more importantly getting away at the end. We expect to finish in 1hr 45. Would it be better to park say half an hour walk away from the finish and use public transport to get to the start rather than at the end? If so any suggestions for good places to park?

Sarah - really depends upon where your hotel is in Gateshead (do you want to give your hotel name). I travel from Sunderland by metro on GNR day and the metros are packed, very difficult to get on at any of the Gateshead stations. If you hotel is on Gateshead quayside then you can catch the yellow quaylink buses (every 15 mins) into central Newcastle and walk to the start. Do a search for Newcastle quaylink buses.If you hotel is not on any transport routes you could team up with other runners in your hotel and get a taxi to near the start, 4 people in a taxi would probaly work out cheaper!
    It is possible to drive to the finish, see your race pack for details, and get one of the special buses back to the start (buses start at 6:30). However getting out of the car parks and back on to A19 / A1 is tedious.

If you do not use your car at the finish the you can walk into south Sheilds town centre (20-25 min walk) and get the metro back to Gateshead / Newcastle. However I find using the special buses from bents park (very near the finish) back into Newcastle is always the quicker more comfortable option (no standing!).

At the start whether by bus or metro you will need to walk from Haymarket station. Allow plenty of time it's a fair distance (20-25 mins walk) to the back of the start where the bagage buses park.

Hope this helps.

• Options

Might be mad posting this but I realise someone somewhere is having trouble with accommodation probably. I am running the GNR, live in Newcastle, and our spare room is empty on Sat 14th and Sun 15th nights. About 2 miles from start. One single or couple only. Message me if you're still looking for a room.

• Options

Andy - my training is just ramping up again now after a quiet July. I have an Ultra on Saturday and then the Wolverhampton Marathon (for my sins) on Sept 1st. My Autumn aim is to maybe have a crack at sub-5 in Amsterdam in October (there, it's out in the open now!) image  I think 2hrs is extremely do-able for you!

Evening all image

• Options

Nice one Vixx, looking at for the sub 5 hour time for you, one of my running friends down here is running at Amsterdam, I only ever see him at the start and end of races though as I think he aims for 2:45 in Marathons!!  We also have a girl who trains at our club who is close to getting an England vest, she ran 2:36 at London and was disappointed!!  I quite like the world we live in, doing our best and enjoying it..

• Options

Vixx - you off and running again with your insane race schedule!!

mr sj - thanks for that about sunday race - can you give me more details on it and I may well do it.

• Options

Bearsted - exhibition park 5k, 10:00am start 18 august

http://www.tynebridgeharriers.com/2013/06/28/exhibition-park-cup-5k-180813/

GNR race number arrived, a nice zone B yet again, so hoping for another good run this year and a sub 1:35

• Options

mr sj - cheers just looked up website and may consider it - are you running it

• Options

Bearsted - not yet. The crazy starts again on Saturday image

• Options

It's my first gnr this year. Can anyone help me on the estimated time of zone g white. I put 1:40 on form based on other halfs I've run? Seems far back in the field, but as I said its my first one and there are a few other people running.......

• Options

Barry West 5 - if you did put 1:40 down then you are far to far back - that should get you at least Zone C.

• Options

bearsted plodder - thanks for reply,i thought it was too far back. Too late to change it now though. Oh well might as well just try to enjoy it than race it,forget pbs. Still looking forward to it immensely and cant wait to sample the atmosphere!