Options

Great North Run 2013

Comments

• Options

jcbl - I agree, stay where you have been allocated if you think you are capable of that time, or thereabouts.

CC2 - congrats for your success, I hope your niggle is just niggle - I love hearing about how your personal GNR goes every year!

Good evening RTLW - I'm really looking forward to seeing you again this year  xx

• Options

Hi Mandie, looking forward to seeing you again too image.  4 portions of pasta to consume at the expo (yes, I actually probably will!) Possibly see you there first, specially if WTS turns up too cos that usually makes it easier to find everyone.

I've just bought my 3 day travel ticket.  Bit of a price hike from last year isn't it?

• Options

Well done CC2!  Hope your niggle disappears and you manage to stay illness-free.

For the person who will be coming into Newcastle on the metro from Sunderland - it'll take about 34 minutes if your station is Sunderland, but more or less depending on what your starting station is.

• Options

I have identified the injury as tibialis anterior tendonitis. I've had it before, just never had a name for it. I hope it goes away soon, as it's really chuffing painful!

• Options
    Andy Smithsky wrote (see)

Race Pack arrived and Zone E again, it is possible to get under 2 hours from there, I was on for it until mile 9 last year when injury/illness caught up with me but this year I will go very close.

Yeah, it should be but you have to pass a fair few people in the early stages.  I managed 1:46 from the back of zone D last year but probably ran an extra half mile side to side dodging around.  About 15 minutes in I luckily managed to get behind a very tall,fast club runner who was too late to get in a more forward pen and came from behind, so he cleared the way and I just followed for 3/4 miles till he lost me.  I also managed a 2:06 a few years back from the back of Zone H while pretty unfit.

• Options

And lets not forget that in 2010 sonia o'sullivan ran 1:32:40 after starting as the very last runner over the line, imagine how much weaving and zig zaging that mus have involved !

http://corkrunning.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/sonia-osullivan-and-her-charity-2010.html

• Options

^ Ive just had a read of that.

i think just enjoy the event and just keep running is the theme, no walking..jogging allowed though and dont watch the clock..

• Options

Daeve, I think the key is to pick the right hand side of the course for as long as possible as the herds head off on the left side. You get a reasonable run for 7-8 miles and avoid much of the weaving in and out before the course narrows. If I hadn't suffered in the 9th mile with re-occurrence of calf issues and dehydration through illness last year I would have got under 2 hours

• Options

Missed out on the 6+mile slow run last night, Mrs KPoN decided to turn up with Texas BBQ Pizza last night as I was about to go out.  Well that killed that off.

Instead, went on the treadmill earlier today. Oh boy, that was hard work. Why did I find it harder running on the treadmill than outside. I tried to calculate 9min/miles into KPH but failed. Ended up running at 12kmh, with peaks to 15kmh, then a final 2-3 mins at 18kmh.

In between I had it on 15 degrees incline at 6kmh to work the calves.

This is why I don't run on treadmills, as I find them boring with too many gadgets..

• Options

9 min miling is about 10.7 kph so you were really flying KPO! And 18kph is 5.22 min miling. Keep that up and you'll be challenging the fellas at the front image

Vixx - practicalities of work mean that RICE is impossible. I can manage C. Actually I found a video on YouTube showing how to massage the Tib Ant tendon and I have a much greater range of motion already. I can almost walk normally again, so should just be a few days hopefully.

• Options

Just discovered that Emma Egging and her team are running again in 2013. Emma is the widow of FLT Jon Egging the red arrows pilot who flew in position "Red 4".

Good luck to the team and here's to "Red 4" once again.

• Options

CC2 - great running and well ddone as this ,y firs year on this blog and got to know so many of you but only by FB etc looking forward to meeting more of you face to face.

get to meet mr sj on Sunday at Exhibtion Park 5km. 18 miler tomorrow from Westerhope out through Ponteland and back via Dinnington - done this route before and so relaxing - so not expecting anything special on Sunday but hey you have to give it a go - maybe sub 22 may be possible after that.

• Options

Wow just 4 weeks to go, looking forward to the last few weeks of long distance training, doing 12 on Sunday to see where I am in terms of my target time. Thinking of my last 10 miler about 8 days before followed by a 10k, track and short 4 miler, does that sound ok?

• Options

My GNR training is nonexistent really as I've been working toward a marathon end of Sept/beginning Oct so no specific taper planned as the race just takes up part of the marathon training plan.  I wish I'd been concentrating on the HM distance as I get a bit bored on really long runs image  Still, the extra endurance will help a lot, and as last year I was marathon training, considering 13.1 miles as a short run helps massively, psychologically.

Andy - I think you're right, I usually end up on the right hand side for at least 5/6 miles.  Hopefully this year starting much nearer the front in B it won't be too much of an issue. 21 miles tomorrow or monday.. image

• Options

Going out again tomorrow morning to stretch the legs, was thinking between 6-7miles (50mins) to keep things ticking over. I really want to punch it up to 10-12miles but I know ill ache like hell on Monday morning.

Im good for the 1/2 Marathon distance, the last one I completed, the only prep work carried out by me was a good stretch and lay on the floor for 30mins on the morning with my iPod on.

Accomodation -

Ive had a bit of struggle finding accommodation, a few years back we stayed in a room above a pub, but this year the pub has stopped the rooms.

So, its a 40mile drive in the morning, then a 20min train journey or we find somewhere closer.

• Options

KPO - Have you had a look at Nirvana? They have sold out of a lot of rooms but I've just had a quick look and they do have a few options left. It all depends on how much you want to spend and what you are prepared to accept at this stage (they have a camping option??)

If not, then keep looking on here as folks quite often offer their rooms/accommodation if they find they can no longer run as the race gets nearer.

Good luck.

• Options

Hi Mandie,    (ive posted here before, but ive had a name change)

I plan to go out Saturday night for a few beers. I would like to attend the pasta party's as its only £7 Rtn by train. I don't need transport to the event as I plan to get the train into Newcastle, then back out of it. Sunday morning is usually good for free parking for side-streets. image

So, looking for hotels/b&b's in Durham/Darlington central area, and not over £60 a night...anymore and its just robbery.

• Options

Hi, I'm new here, could any experts tell me if I'm in the right GNR zone.  Last year I ran 1:51 from zone E, overtaking people all the way.  I only got into E by going to customer services on the saturday (they'd put me in zone J originally).

This year I'm in zone D and hoping for sub 1:50.  Is this the correct zone for this time?  If its about right I'll stick with it since some of my friends are in D too.

Many thanks.

• Options

TallPhil - you will certainly be able to run that sort of time pretty well from D. It's looks like this year there are a lot if runners with expected times between 1:40 and 1:50 and I know 2 friends of mine who only has 5 mins diff in tiare one is in C and one in D. I ran a 1:42 from C 3 years ago without any hassles and without having to push past anybody

• Options

Is it 4 weeks now? image

• Options

Tallphil - im looking to try and get moved up from g this year. (I am aiming for a sub 1.45) from the advice I've received on this forum(thanks everyone) is the customer service point you refer to  at the quayside? And I am planning to take a printout of my half marathon from may,in your experience from last year,is that adequate? And is it a fairly straightforward procedure? 

(Sorry for  the 20 questions!) 

I ran a 12 mile 8 min/mile training run earlier today so I feel on course to go under 1.45,so I'd like to be in the correct zone. 

Thanks. 

• Options

RunnerBMW,

I have done it via the phone, I had to email in scanned copies of my results as not everyone can make it Saturday.

• Options

Great morning tan the Exhibition Park 5K and just managed to get under the 22 mins I had set after yesterday's 18 miler. Did not feel to much in the legs but the wind for 1.5km was hard. Met up with Smon which was brilliant and will see the rest of you in 4 weeks under the bridge.

• Options

TallPhil - yes, you're in the right zone for your time.

Bearsted Plodder - glad to hear you enjoyed your 5k and got to meet up with Simon ... it was a windy one, wasn't it?!

I did 13.1 miles today and rather enjoyed it - at least the wind went some way to keeping me cool.

• Options

Shielsy - yes .5k to 2k was straight into it but ok after that. Well done on the run getting well prepared for GNR

• Options
    Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭

Bearsted Plodder, I did the 5K race this morning too. That wind going up the gravelly track onto Grandstand Road was quite something, wasn't it? A good race though and not congested like the Town Moor park run can be in parts. Good going for you after an 18-miler the day before.

• Options

KeepPloddingOn- thanks for tip. I've emailed greatrun copies of the results,not heard back yet. If I don't here soon,I'll try and ring them. Thanks again. 

• Options

Bearsted Plodder and Shielsy - many thanks for your replies on my zone/time.  Its good to know I'm in the correct zone already, it was a fuss changing it last year.

RunnerBMW - I went to the customer services desk on the Gateshead Quayside on Saturday afternoon last year (if coming from Newcastle, cross the swing bridge then navigate around the Sage building.  Its in one of the marquees).  There was a queue.  I took photocopies of recent 10k and marathon times, I didn't have a recent half-marathon.  They moved me up to zone E straight away, I didn't negotiate, I was just pleased not to be at the back!  However, running 1:51 from E was not that easy, I had to overtake people the entire way.  I'm in D this year so I plan to get there early and go to the front of the zone.  Bearsted Plodder says you can also do it on the phone which I wasn't aware of - sounds like a better plan.  Good luck with the run.

• Options

Managed a 12 miler a week ahead of schedule, 1:49 so depending how the race goes and the legs cope with mile 12 there is every chance of under 2:00. Never worked so hard on the training but I guess it is needeit for a tough course. Entered Peterborough half 4 weeks later as myself and my training partner will be running together for a fast time on PB's regardless. Also want to keep a good base fitness just in case I get into the London Marathon. Hooked on this running lark!!