Options

Great North Run 2013

Comments

• Options

Newbieabbey- welcome to the madhouse and congratulations on not only completing the GNR but also for coming out of the closet!

• Options

Fantastic newbieabbey. Bloody well done! image

• Options

Oh yes Vixx76 my medal hasnt left my side... the furthest ive got is my living room as i'm so sore but thats besides the point image

Haha Old Shadowfax no more hiding for me! image

Forgot to say it in my last post ...so... Well done everyone! image

• Options
    Mick 'Stringy' wrote (see)

Fantastic newbieabbey. Bloody well done! image

Thank you!

• Options

newbieabbey - what a lovely post.  Welcome to the thread and well done for yesterday!  It doesn't matter what pace you have, just that you go out there and do it.

I didn't get home tonight until 9.45pm - had to make my own way home too, as OH watching the football and wouldn't pick me up image.  Have really struggled today - as well as being shattered and hungover, I've been in quite a bit of pain due to the swelling and bruising where I fell on my side yesterday.  I now have the most humungous black and blue bruise on my left thigh and even sitting is proving difficult as I can't bear even the slightest pressure on it.

I doubt very much that I'll be going out for my planned little recovery run tomorrow.

• Options

Muckers Fuddle - Happy birthday image .  10 min miling is not plodding.  That's really good steady running at a decent pace.  Thanks for the intro and enjoy the thread.  We tend to have a bit of fun as well as (hopefully) giving some serious sound advice and share our experiences. 

We even talk about running sometimes image

• Options

Newbieabbey - another really well done from me image

Shielsy, youch!  I have to say you do like to do it in style - no half measures.

• Options

Thank you Shielsy & RLTW!

Must say Shielsy dont know how that iggnorant person even managed to listen to his music (obviously very loud as he was oblivious) ... i had full intentions of having my songs on to keep me going but found the atmosphere and crowd were much more motivational.  I'm glad i soaked it all in instead of getting lost with my ipod! .. But maybe thats just me! image

• Options

To be fair, on my first GNR I took my ipod with me, but I wasn't aware then of how big the event was going to be - how many bands there'd be, how much cheering etc.  I soon cottoned on though, and just took my earbuds out and soaked up the atmosphere.

I love to train with my music, but I would never race with an ipod (and usually it's not allowed anyway) as you need to keep aware of what's happening around you.

• Options
    Newbieabbey, I've just read your post and now my eyes seem to be a little moist. Isn't running fab ? image
  • Options

Huge welcomes to newbieabbey and Muckers Fuddle too. And Happy Birthday to MF for yesterday image

Massive congratulations to you both. I hope you stick around for the next 12 months..

By the way, I usually find that 36 hours or so after the event is the worst for stiffness etc, so tady may be even tougher for some. Should start to ease off noticeably by tomorrow though.

• Options
    Wide awake as wife gets up early, been laughing at reports, admiring the pb's well done Mr SJ, Shielsy, RLTW. As some know via 2012 thread I was on for a pb until mile 8 when my calves objected but battled on & finished with strong last mile to be over-taking most others in front of my wife & daughter.

Annoying calves as been ok through training but I've been told that almost certainly my lack of running due to cold in previous 10days & body nicking my energy stores to fight it contributed to this so hey-ho I did my best & happy that I had mental strength to rescue 2:09 considering how far out the problem kicked in. Again huge thanks to Shielsy/Stringy/Mandie/Shrek/Mr SJ, lovely to meet such friendly people at the start. Not good to hear of your fall Shielsy, one chap went flying on the last mile trying to cut across, that looked painful.

After a 5 hr drive back to Suffolk I am exhausted but my wife/daughter loved it even in the rain & pleased I am a member so can relax knowing I'll be there next year, even though right now I am so stiff it's ridiculous..

Well done to everyone, the race is an amazing event
  • Options
    Looks like the first batch of photos are up on marathon photos
  • Options

Just checked my photo's and I look VERY relieved to have finished!

Wonderful post from newbieabbey - I'm a big softie and I may have just shed a small tear reading that.  Although some of the reason for the tears is the fact that I still can't walk properly today image.  Bloody ITBS, grrrrrrr.

• Options

Thats fantastic newbieabbey.  Well done.

Any news yet mr sj.

I hope the bruising is better today Sheilsy.

Liz

• Options

Good luck with the interview mr sj.

Hope your leg is not too sore today Sheilsy,lovely to see a friendly face in the pub,made the wait for my friend fly over,especially with the insinuations,accusations and insults over your time,well done again.

Moving reports and experiences already,well done to you all.

• Options

Morning

Welcome to Newbieabbey - I hope the legs feel a little easier today.

Muckers - hello. You'll get to know us soon enough. Lots of useless info available and usually info about other stuff happening in the North East. Are you a parkrunner? Several of us do these around here as well.

Shielsy - ouch! That was a long day. Thankfully I only did 8:30 to 6:00 and by the time I got to the metro it was quite quiet so I got a seat. Marvellousimage

Well done to everyone who finished/got a PB.

• Options

Ouchy image

It's probably easiser to list which parts of me DON'T hurt today image

• Options

Newbieabbey, your post is the kind of thing that makes the GNR, be very proud of your achievement and I echo what you say, this thread helped me so much in my first ever half-marathon last year, the support from people is amazing and helps all those hourts of training. You did it, well done...

• Options

Newbieabbey - welcome to the thread, yours is a truly lovely story and its great that you have finally joined us - hope you stick around and post lots more.

Happy birthday for yesterday, Muckers Fuddle!

Hope everyone is feeling ok today - my legs are still a little tight but not too bad really.

Still no race report from me, just not had a lot of time as yet, but the short version is, I'm likening my race with childbirth.......bloody hard work, a lot of huffing and puffing and all the pain forgotten now that its all over !! 

Off to have a look for my photos, if there are any. I knew where all the cameras were but seemed to have really tall people in front of me waving their hands in the air at each one so doubt I'll find any!

• Options
    Good afternoon everyone,

Newbieabbey - welcome to the thread and massive well done !!

Some decent photos of me from sunday, even one as im crossing the line stopping my garmin and i have what looks very much like a smile !

Oh and by the way........................I GOT A JOB !!!!!!!

Totally over the moon, perfect hours and perfect job for me at a lovely school, cant even put into words how happy i am about it, been a long long time since ive earnt a salary and cant wait to start !
  • Options

imageimage Congratulations mr sj!!!! I'm so, so pleased for you - what a brilliant year you are having!! imageimage

• Options

Re photos....just as I thought - not a single one of me....not even so much as an arm on the edge of the two of Steve either!!! image

• Options

Mr SJ, that's fantastic. Well done imageimageimage

• Options
    Well done Mr SJ, good few days for you. My legs are quite stiff & just like Mandie no pictures available, not even my mobot at the finish line grrr
  • Options

Great stuff mr sj.  Really pleased for you.

• Options

Note to self: when doing Mobot on the finish line, time it so that when the photographer snaps you, you're not doing this: http://www.marathon-photos.com/scripts/photo.py?event=Sports/GRUK/2012/Bupa%20Great%20North%20Run&photo=AAAI1510&match=17688

Anybody got a worse one than that?

• Options

Mandie, I found some pics of me by using the find more photos button, you only get the one's at the finish but it does work...

• Options

Fantastic news Mr SJ! image

Funnily enough there are no photos of me. I can't imagine why not... image

• Options

P.S. Just to confirm that the awful photo I linked to is of me, so I am entitled to be harsh!