Options

Base Training

Comments

• Options
    nope mog i dont think so, since you are using different muscles (and as twoton has said, its capillary beds that get blood to your muscle cells, and mytochondria that allow electron transfer and energy release)

the lactic acid bullds up (and then is removed or not) inside the working muscles, rather than inside the whole body
  • Options
    yep mog me too i can do an hour at 180+

spin classes too, which i used to equate to cycling speed work - 45 mins at 182-192 typically
  • Options
    ran half an hour at 190+ the other day, peaking at 200. I suppose I'm lucky that I have nothing to lose and hopefully lots to gain.
  • Options
    Well you can obviously race at greater intensity for longer than training. When I was doing 40 min 10ks my HR was 180+ throughout.

However, for the LT to be nudged up by running at or around that threshold (about 170 bpm for me) then we only do up to 40 mins. It works out at half marathon pace for me.

I can run half marathon pace for well over an hour (or else I would slow down) but after a while I would be exceeding the LT to do so.
  • Options
    hm
    this debate tells me formulae dont work
    im happy at a 150 bpm
    or even 160

• Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    I'm beginning to wonder about this formula thing too. I appreciate that I'm trying to train my aerobic system which has probably lain dormant for the past year and a half I've been running, but although I can keep my heart rate at around 146 bpm quite easily on the flat (less on downhills), I struggle to keep it below 150 bpm as soon as there's any kind of ascent (and where I live they are unavoidable). Even if I jog so slowly I'm practically walking my heart rate stubbornly refuses to drop much below this, and as soon as I move any faster it goes over again. As I said on the daily training thread, I was so peed off with a week of running so much slower than normally would that I totally lost all patience on the final ascent last night, and raced it like my life depended on it. After a week of 10+ minute miles (slow for me, as I usually struggle to keep it around 8:50 without speeding up for an 'easy' run) it felt really great - not sure I reached my maximum HR at 188 bpm though (I'm now tempted to do a proper max heart rate test to see how high it gets).

I guess the one attribute you need to succeed at base training is the one attribute I seriously lack: patience. Primarily, I run because I can and because I love it. Being restricted by an arbitrary heart rate calculated by someone else's formula over the past week has seriously reduced my enjoyment of running. To me there's little enjoyment or feeling of achievement to be gained from plodding along at little more than walking pace at times, and I hate feeling restricted by a little flashing number on my wrist.

I know that base training is about long-term application; results are not immediately apparent and are seen over months not weeks. I perfectly see the sense in running much slower than I've been used to over the next few months in order to build to daily running of an hour or more (I wouldn't be able to do this at my normal pace as I'd have to have recovery days) but do I really have to run so slowly I'm practically walking to get results? Surely I'll improve just by increasing the weekly mileage and keeping the pace slow for the majority of the time but not worrying excessively about the uphills?

I know what the answer to this will be but I can hope!!
  • Options
    BodBod ✭✭✭
    This is interesting. I would suggest the HR calculations should be somewhere near the mark for most people, after all the heart is a pump and will have a normal working range -> it cannot go much faster than 200 or slower than 35 for an adult. And this is born out by the people here. When you go above LT your muscles generate more lactic acid, the heart speeds up to distribute the LA around the body and dilute the concentration until it can do so no more. When this happens the muscles lose effectiveness (thats why after a hard session even your eyelids can hurt). I think it is possible to run for long time at high heart rate, I've done it in most of my half marathons, however the point it that I am becoming less and less effective. I bet you don't do negative splits if the first half is averaging >170!

I am running at roughly 10min/miles, which is worryingly slow, but the upside is that last week I did 50 miles which I could never normally do. And, last week was tough, even at the low effort it get's me sweating and you feel yesterday's miles in your legs. Another upside is my hip problem that usually accompanies higher intensity training has more or less disappeared

I have done what you are all doing and tried to assess if this is for me (ie will it deliver a sub4 marathon in April) and beleive from the physiological side it could work. I'm giving it til xmas, by which time I will have run also 2 half marathons, if I get good PB's I will be well on my way, if not then I have at least a lot of good miles under my belt.

It must be frustrating Minkin if you have a lot of hills, I organise my routes to avoid most of them. However, you have to play by the rules and since latcic acid inhibits the very thing we want to develop then...
  • Options
    Mimkin i know what you mean when you talk about HR over hills. More or less same here. I have to run on hilly courses and...

I think that i just see this as experimental period. Anyway none of us has always been following strictly his own training programm. We usually follow general rules and formulas "made" from someone else.

So even that base building phase makes some great sense to me, i always think that NOTHING bad can happen anyway. Instead i have the time and the mood to work on running technique, breathe patterns and so many other running associated stuff i'd never paid attention to! (and think that i'm 3h marathoner...)

Hope this is nearly the answer you hoped for... :-)
  • Options
    Minkin sorry to hear you are downheartened about you new program. Just a quick word of encouragement you will never ever get any improvements in your running by just following a program for a week. I have been keeping my HR down on all my long runs, my steady runs and recovery runs. Once a week I run with no HR monitor and go at the pace I fancy. Since doing this in all my races from half marathons to 10ks, I have felt stronger and more able to sustain a faster pace for longer. I took 2 mins plus off my half marathon PB end of August.

Marathon this weekend so will see how I manage.
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Did 50 mins base training today, i'm going keep this up to a hopefully 10k in december see what happens
  • Options
    Minkin

I'd go and get a copy of John Parkers Heart Monitor training for the compleat idiot. His programmes combine substantial slower running (70% whr) with a bit of speed work. I'm sort of following his philiosophy but substituting races here and there and done at various intensities.

His method for estimating Max HR is
    1)take a days rest and make sure you're not tired
    2) find a 2-300m steep hills (sounds easy for you)
    3) get warmed up
    4) do 5 repeats of the hill getting faster each time and jogging down ( no rests)
    5) on the last make sure you are sprinting for your life for the last 100m - this should leave you close to "death"
    6) watch the HR at the top and for the first few secs after
    7) have a freind around to hold you upright :-) at the end
    8)Max HR is the highest number you see.

On the subject of hills : most races I do have several therefore I must train on them to use the (different) muscles, I allow myself upto 5-10bpm excursion depending on steepness but let HR drop by about the same on downhills.

For me the big plus is its allowing me to get in miles without aggravating/ developing injuries which serious speedwork seems to encourage.
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    I think I see what you're saying, Bod - I guess my question is really that if we're all working to a formula for calculating what our maximum aerobic heart rate is, how far can this be accurate for each individual? If I allow my HR to reach (say) 155 bpm on hills, who's to say that this is taking me out of my aerobic training zone? Surely I can't rely on a 'one size fits all' formula to determine my own maximum aerobic heart rate? I certainly don't feel as though I'm going anaerobic just by adding a few bpm.

According to Maffetone/Allen, my maximum aerobic heart rate is around 146 bpm. I'm tempted to add another 5 to this as I've been training 3-4 times a week without injury and showing performance improvement for nearly two years. This takes me up to 151 bpm. I can certainly keep well within this on the flat and downhill - for example last night on the flatter part of my route I kept a constant 146 bpm going for a good 5-10 minutes. The hills are fairly steep though and literally within three or four steps into the final ascent last night my HR had exceeded 151. I suppose I should have walked until it fell again but as mentioned above I'm afraid I lost patience and decided to find my maximum HR by sprinting up the hill instead!!

I do agree that you couldn't up the mileage to the extent that you have unless you were slowing the pace considerably (and remain injury free, anyway). I am, however, finding it really difficult to deal with running 10+ minute miles - for a start it's affecting my running form and making me run unnaturally. Secondly, it makes every run feel like an eternity, and I don't really enjoy them at the moment because I don't feel I'm getting any benefit. Logically, I know that I am - it just doesn't feel that way. OK, it must be doing something because I do sweat even at these low HRs, it's just somehow less satisfying. At the moment my mileage is still low (Pantman recommended starting with no more than 20-25 minutes a day) - last week I ran for 30 minutes each day but because of the slow pace this only equates to 3 miles at a time - so that was only 21 miles last week, less than I would normally do in 4 sessions!

Perhaps I'll only start to reap the benefits when the mileage starts getting higher?
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Sorry, sfh legs - hadn't seen your post before I posted mine. Funnily enough I have been reading a bit about John Parker's book online this morning and was about to place an order with Amazon! Thanks for the advice about calculating maximum HR - I think I'll try this tomorrow, just out of interest to see whether the arbitrary figure I have for my maximum aerobic HR is remotely realistic for me. Lots of people on here have recommended the book and at the very least it'll make interesting reading.

I think what I'm trying to determine is whether the formula for maximum aerobic heart rate (180-age +/- 5-10 beats taking into account other factors) needs to be quite so hard and fast - if I go 5 beats over what the formula tells me my maximum should be am I necessarily going out of my aerobic zone? I know theoretically that I should keep well below my maximum aerobic HR but as said before, this is impossible on steep hills and I really don't want to be walking up every damn one!
  • Options
    Minkin -just for some more info- according to Maffetone/Allen my max aerobic HR is 156.
    As you have said before yours is 151. If i'm running steep hills -as you do- i'm reaching at worse case 160(!) and that only near the end of my training.
    So i guess you shouldn't have much problem going from 151 to 154-5 during steep hills.
    Personally i'm trying to concentrate in small/fast and light steps without pushing hard back but lifting feet quickly!

Give these a try if you wish.Hope you don't get discouraged!
  • Options
    The other interesting thing is that you have to let your mind drift, or your heart rate might go up

When on the tready last week, i started thinking about my next marathon
    Not a good move
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Jane, thanks for your words of encouragement - I must have missed seeing your post first time around. You are quite right in saying that I could not hope to see any improvement just a week into the programme, and I do appreciate that. It will take weeks - months even - before I notice any significant difference. I'm just finding it difficult to keep the faith and run as slowly as I'm having to to keep my HR at the correct figure. It's just demoralising running 10+ minute miles when I've been used to doing 8-8:30 minute miles in training. But I am aware that if I try to increase mileage doing what I've been doing up until now I will very likely end up injured.
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Hippo, I was finding that I was getting so frustrated (stressed!) at trying to keep my HR down that I just ended up making it go up even more!!

How do I get round that??!
  • Options
    but i'd still throw away the formula and get tested!
  • Options
    if you think i would honestly run until i threw up----------

as silly as the idae of a 24 hour track race!
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Minks - when Maffetone first challenged Allen to train this way the 5min/mile racer could do no better than 8min/miles!! After training this way for many years he got the pace at the same HR down to 5:20 pace! Patience!
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    ... is a virtue
  • Options
    no to the vomit
    or no to the track race?
  • Options
    Hipps - you're a doctor - can YOU explain to my 6 year old why he is not allowed to do a 24hr race? He doesn't seem to get it...
    You on the other hand... Go for it!
  • Options
    No panty, i cant

but he might gt bored after a couple of hours
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Hippo i was saying no to the track race (although i would say no to vomit as well)
    The idea of running round a track who knows how many times for 24 hours i can't bear to think about it people who do i absolutely marvel at i would get so bored i would however not rule out a 24 hour race passing scenery A to B she says where you would have an idea of how far you've travelled.
    But Not for a long long time maybe when billy connolly is prime minister.
  • Options
    The Hippo may have to do it

Cos its there
  • Options
    lol pants is he that keen to do it??

if you sign up for hull he can come and watch you.... (but do it soon the places are being snapped up apparently)
  • Options
    Yes, Andy, he thought it was a great idea - wanted to stay there all night... But there is even less chance of me doing it - marathon in August - not exactly ideal preparation - might seriously consider L2B next year though...
  • Options
    marathon is ideal prep, no?