Options

Manchester Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Morning all, glorious sunshine here in Wigan this morning, hope it's like this tomorrow in Manchester.

• Options

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Morning all.  Well, the forecast now looks close to perfection for me.  The rain is supposed to hold off until 12.30/1.00pm  - I hope to be done by then.  Before that, leaden skies, zero sun, dry and about 7/8 centigrade.  Lovely!  Only downside is that winds will be breezy but still far from strong.  All in all, i'm very happy with that.

RP - Your scran sounds very decent to me!  I've just tucked into a cinnamon and raisin bagel with jam and two stem ginger oat biscuits.  I've got some sports drinks and fruit juices to have during the day plus squash and tea.  Soreen, granola bars and more oat biscuits to snack on.  Going to have a croque monsieur for lunch (ok, a little bit of protein there) followed by a pacake with lemon and sugar.  Tea is pasta with arabattia sauce followed by a little bit of apple tart tatin.

Oh, might squeeze in a little choccy as well image  It is indeed Old Jamaica RP and it's my favourite chocolate.  Hadn't seen it in years and then spotted it in Tesco a few weeks ago.   Made my day did that!

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

SB - I am just about to have a sausage, bacon and egg sarnie with lashings of brown sauce. I will be having sweets and biscuits all day I suspect. Tonight will be a nice chicken madras with popodums and naan bread and loads of beers image But I would rather be on your diet and running tomorrow !! How are you feeling today ? Nervous, excited ?

• Options

The weather seems to be a million miles from what it was last year so hopefully a near full turn out at the start and not many runners dropping due to hypothermia.

Hopefully the crowds will be out in force around Altrincham tomorrow. Tremendous support from them last year.

Should be a good day.

• Options

Behaved like a saint last night, early night and no alcohol, Mrs RR was even trying to argue it would have provided extra carbs (which is unusual for her as she errs on the prohibition side of the argument normally)

Similar feeding ritual to everyone else today and then another early night after catching up with the doctor's exploits and BGT

Still feeling apprehensive, had the race been a few days ago when I was buzzing and feeling superhuman I'd have been happy but I feel a little "off peak" at present. Hopefully that'll disappear as the adrenaline kicks in and the race gets under way (and the chant of "just get round" sets off in my head).Knee and thigh still "niggling" but stop complaining, there are people in a wose situation (tells self off)

Hope all the "out of towners" have not found the North West too unwelcoming (and have put gravy on any chips they may have consumed)

We had heavy rain and hail in Timperley last night to the point that the conservatory roof looked like it was covered in snow this morning

Will have to keep an eye on the temparatures to monitor whether an extra running layer is required tomorrow

• Options

Here's the take from the local paper Manchester Evening News

Some interesting facts and figures at the end

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/your-marks-sundays-greater-manchester-3160669

• Options

Morning!

SB...I like the sound of todays menu....mine looks quite sparse in comparison...reckon I will have to force a bit more down my neck, just for good measure!  Yum...Old Jamaica...Now I remember, Home Bargains sell it, I have got it in there before and it's loads cheaper than Tesco. 

if you are right about the weather that will be fine.  It's damn cold outside there today, breezy and cold, and a bit of frost earlier, though it seems to have melted now.  Still, better to be cool when running than too hot I suppose.  I just worry I might be too cold in a vest?  hmmm

Cart....your menu sounds even better than SB's!  I could murder a fry up now you mention it.  It's going to be hard today, just sitting and eating...makes me feel even more nervous.

RR, you will be fine.  I feel the same, I think it's all part of the preparation.  Just enjoy it all and don't get too wound up on time for this one.  The best advice I can give is not to go off too fast.  I normally go off very steady, then pick it up at half way for a negative split.  Much better to do that than risk feeling like death if you can't keep it up.  it is very hard not to get carried away with the atmosphere and faster runners though, so do take care.  Needless to say, I won't be doing that this time.....but like I say, I don't care.  Finishing will do me.

Also...don't forget to go for the shortest route.  I know I have said it before, but you will be amazed how much time and distance you can add on to your race weaving in and out and going the long way round corners, especially over 26 miles. 

Oohh..exciting to see it In then paper!  Those pictures of the weather make me shudder though!

Panda

• Options

Carter - You rotten, gloating sodimage  That sounds like my ideal day (apart from the sweet stuff which i'm frankly having to force down my gullet today - hence Old Jamaica - choccy that isn't sweet!).  I'm not feeling nervous at all, just can't wait to get going.  I have just tripped over the dog and bent my left toes back quite badly and that had me worried for a while as the foot began to throb but that's ebbed away now so a false alarm, thankfully.  Yeah, am feeling good, feeling ready thanks.  As for you, you've earned those treats given that you put all that effort in only to be denied what you've worked for.  At least you can console yourseld with large quantities of pig!

• Options

I didn't think I'd be on here today, but I'm getting so excited I couldn't stay away!  Any excuse to chat with people obsessed with the same thing (instead of family who are starting to get fed up with me talking about nothing else.....).  I've just pinned my number on my vest and had yet another glass of water, but am having to ration myself with the flapjacks I made last night.  They're supposed to be the post race treat but at this rate there won't be any left!  I think I'll definitely go for the vest tomorrow, as I always think I'll be too cold and then end up boiling, so I might as well freeze first.

Cybarev - I'm with you on a sneaky glass of red this evening - the carbs have got to be good for you...  I'm back to trusty lasagne tonight, with porridge in the morning and then off to the pub tomorrow night to be fed and watered to excess.

Old Jamaica chocolate?  Is that the rummy flavoured one?  I used to love that!  Drooling just thinking about it...

• Options

Oh yes AN.  Rum and raisins.  What could possibly better that?

I've eaten loads already, feel like a fat bugger now.

• Options

AN I'm going for a vest tomorrow too - if I wear anything more, I usually end up stripping lol!

I've had porridge, water, more water, banana & a small slice of malt loaf so far today, am having 2 boiled eggs with 2 small slices of wholemeal toast for lunch then my usual long run meal of cheesy chips (healthily made in the Actifry) this evening image

..... today is feeling like quite a surreal day!

*Off to have some more water lol!

• Options

today is mostly being spent foam rolling, drinking water and worrying!! Hairdressers in a bit so hopefully that'll take my mind off things.. Although she always ends up covering my forehead in dye so that'll look good when I'm sweating tomorrow!!  Going to paint my nails blue and yellow in tribute to Boston to because I didn't get round to getting any ribbons... Might do my toenails too- beats the black that's already there!!!

• Options

I'm drinking loads but mainly fruit juices and sports drinks.  Thought the double whammy of carbs + liquid was the right thing to do.  Am I wrong or right here? image

• Options

Sb - the dog incident would be quite funny - if it wasn,t marathon day tomorrow!

Busy carb loading but i feel so bloated i think i,ll be rolling round the courseimage

• Options

I feel bloated too...and never been off the toilet! 

SB....I would go easy on the fruit juice (well known laxative).  The sports drinks at this stage are probably not needed, but shouldn't do you any harm.

I will stick with my vest then.  I was thinking of having a t-shirt under it, but now I think I will just have the vest if everyone else is doing that.

I am bored stiff, and trying to thing of things to do that don't involve lots of time on my feet.  Wished I had booked into the hairdressers like Becs!  That will be my post run treat next week I think....

panda

• Options

This is my last post on here before the race so good luck to everybody and relax....

Don't obsess too much about drinking water, carbo loading etc. Just treat it like a big 20 miler in training which may well have hilly, snowy, windy and run on tired legs. Can't be any worse tomorrow..............

• Options

Rp - not warm enough for just a vest for me, def a tshirt under, but i am a bit of a wussimage

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello all - those worrying about what to wear...remember you will warm up. Maybe wear a bin liner or a disposable jacket for start and first mile or so, and then get rid. For those who suffer from cold hands wear some gloves. I'm not running, but if I was it would  be just tshirt or vest, and maybe gloves.

• Options

As I retrieved the washing from the line under a bombardment of hailstones this morning I did think briefly of getting the gloves and hat out again but I think we'll be OK

Charity shop hoodie to be disposed of at start line, shorts, undershirt and running vest should see me through

Obviously not taking on enough fluid compared to most so off to the kitchen for another pint

Hoping to see a few familiar faces along the way tomorrow and to reading everyone's race feedback and experiences after the event

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

and for afterwards I recommend getting tram into town; or walking/driving into nearby chorlton which has plenty of nice places to eat and drink...

• Options
    marathon molly wrote (see)

Sb - the dog incident would be quite funny - if it wasn,t marathon day tomorrow!

Busy carb loading but i feel so bloated i think i,ll be rolling round the courseimage

Mrs RR has been following my diet for the last couple of days and says she's never felt so awful, we're used to eating alot of roughage and I think her boby is in shock and craving a good salad

Going for the double whammy of gels and jelly babies on course tomorrow

• Options

Parkrun steward this morning to get me in the mood for tomorrow, breakfast was 2.5 Weetabix and a bagel, lunch was 4 sausages and half a can of beans accompanied by 4 pieces of bread. Pre-race tea is always a huge plate of pasta with a full jar of Lloyd Grossman pasta sauce and a pile of meatballs…..rice pudding for afters.

Porridge with dried fruit in the morning + 2 pieces of toast with jam + 2 huge mugs of tea  + lots of water

Maybe a few scones and muffins throughout the day today.

Legs feeling good only run once this week just trying to chill and not thinking too much about getting the job done tomorrow.

Going to do my stretch regime  next.

Biggest decision is music or no music..i just think that when the going gets particularly tough it might be my saviour but at the min it’s no music and take in the course atmosphere.

Good luck everyone I’m sure you’re going to get the times your hard work deserves.

• Options
    fidsfids ✭✭✭

Just had pasta n mackerel, god i feel bloated! Listening to Squeeze (one of the best pop bands this country has produced) imo.

Hope everyone has a good run. See you on the starting line.

• Options

Matt G - Blimey! Can't believe how much you eat; do you have hollow legs? image

• Options

I know I feel full and come 8pm I gotta eat a right trough full again, with the early start I will probably feel a bit full for the first couple of miles.

My luck must be in this weekend with Burnley 2up at Wolves……it’s a sign

Bloody hell wolves just scored maybe that’s a sign

• Options

Good luck everyone, my wife is driving me to Manchester right now although stopping off for fish and chips with her parents soon - not me though I have my pasta...

feeling excited and nervous - legs just itching to run and thinking about the spoiling after the race (Chinese takeaway and wine!)

• Options

LOL Matt...how can you have half a Weetabix?!! How in the world do you cut it and why would you want to?!  I too am most impressed with your carbo loading......I am doing ok too....managed to squeeze in a bit of chocolate cake and a coffee at the pub for good measure.

Music is a must for me, but I will take my ear piece out in busy areas and near the finish to take in the atmosphere.

I feel sick with nerves!!!

Panda

• Options

2 is not enough 3 is probably too much for a non-run day but I have 3 before a park run, porridge for a longer run…. It’s just the way I roll……..

Snap the 3rd one in half but I don’t measure them so I can’t be sure I get exactly half!image

• Options

Right, nearly ready for my early night.  Hopefully a solid and restful night's kip.  Wish you all the very best for tomorrow and really looking forward to the post race stories.

• Options
    ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

Same SB...going to attempt an early night.

Good luck, everyone image