MBNA Chester Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

only a run?

ONLY A RUN?!

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Just popping in having been banned from running by my physio due to my achilles injury so missing the race, to wish everyone a great race and to try to avoid wasting energy getting too excited in the last few days.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Cheers 2old...good luck with the recovery. Are you running at all?

• Options

You may find running in a group helps at the stations, a if you miss a picking up a bottle, often someone will share theirs with you. Also as mark 1981 says, other folk will be happy to hold bottles/gels etc to help out- I'm pacing the 3.30 group, so if you need a hand from me, feel free to ask!

try to be to be aware of the  approaching aid stations early, this gives everyone a chance to find a position so they can access the goodies. Also some practice taking drinks/gels whislt still running means you don't have to stop at the stations.However if you do stop, I wouldn't sprint to catch up to the group too quickly, short bursts of speed like this will carry a heavy price later in the race, take your time easing back up to the group over several minutes.

Sorry to hear you new 2oldnever- hopefully will mean you live to run another day

• Options

all lots of good advice!  I think I will aim to follow the 3.45 pacer in that case.  What time would be a good time to arrive as travelling a fair distance.  Will there be much to do with registering or anything on the morning? thanks again!

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

If you want to park on the race course best to get there before 8...otherwise have to park elsewhere - plenty of city centre car parks nearby (I expect). No registering needed beforehand, but there will be queues for the loos, and you will want a bit of time to sort yourself out, drop your bag off etc. If you got kids entering mini marathon need to register them for that by 8.30 (I think).

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

So - who is carb loading?

• Options

I am running with Njord who is pacing the 3:00 group and he has generously  offered carry water + sports drinks, energy gels, jelly babies, car keys , suncream ,beer,  biscuits and cakes and an umbrella . I

• Options

great thanks will aim to be there before 8am then. 

I am not really carb loading as always get a dodgy stomach when I eat too much as I pretty light so will be taking gels with me and trying to eat more than usual on the next couple of days.  I do eat a lot of carbs though being a veggie anyway so I should be ok!

• Options

My plan says to run the day before, just a slow 10 - 20 mins. Is anyone else planning on doing a little jog the day before?

Persoanlly I think it's probably a good idea, keep legs moving and all that as long as I go really slow. I ran the day before my half marathon (15 mins), beginning of Sept and knocked 5 minutes off my PB. Whilst I don't accredit the PB to the 15 min run the day before, I'm thinking it could be a new superstition! Having said I realise that this will be double the distance.

I'm using SIS gels too. Used them for the first time on my last long run and they were a lot easier than other gels.

PS currently paying no attention to the weather forcast. English October weather is too unpredictable!  

• Options
    REMREM ✭✭✭

I will do 20 mins today, rest tomorrow and do 15 minutes v slow in my racing kit on Saturday morning.  I then plan to keep off my feet on Saturday and sit in the jacuzzi, if the hotel has one!

Run race.  Drink train dry!

• Options

I'm planning on 20 minutes tonight and 15 minutes on Sat both nice and gentle. Getting very excited now more than nervous (it's my first one)

• Options

my carbo loading has just started.  Doing a gentle 5 miles tomorrow, Saturday no run as I'll be on the train.  Maybe jog up and down the carriages

• Options

I'm planning a short run today and Saturday just to keep the legs moving... I missed a run yesterday just due to work commitments, but thats just by the by now, no point thinking about it.

As with other people, I'm taking my own gels and plan to take every 30minutes...stick to what I know. I have also done the last couple of long runs with a bottle of Lucozade Sport Elite, which is what we are getting on the day. It's helped to familiarise myself with the taste, shape and weight of the bottle and to practice sipping at the sport top...

It's my first marathon and for me i've just tried to do everything I can in the training runs to make the actual run feel the same.. that way, it's just another run!!! (he says)..yeh right!

Excited and nervous all at the same time

• Options

Gels every 30 minutes seems a bit over the top IMHO, I was told by an atheltics coach who has been on courses re re fueling that you need to replenish what you loose every hour but that it takes 20 minutes to get into your body so to do it every 40 minutes.

I plan to take four of my sis gels

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

you use up more energy in an hour than what is provided by one gel.

I think.

I am taking 5, one every 30mins. May take another one just before.

That lucozade sport elite stuff has caffeine in it doesn't it? Funny how some stimulants are allowed and some aren't.

I will be going for a 3 or 4 mile run saturday morning. Nothing tomorrow. Have just been on a 5.5 mi run this lunchtime, all ok apart from the 1000s of aches and pains going on in my legs which I am choosing to ignore.

• Options

I've tried a number of different combinations regarding timing of energy gel intake and so far I've found that taking the first one at 45mins, then one each 30 mins after that works best for me. More than anything I think its about finding what works as an individual...and what you feel you need on the day.

I did a 12miler last week, faster than race pace and with no gels at all just little sips of the Lucozade elite... But other days the same run would have me reaching for the gel...Mad really..

• Options

It is getting ever more geeky on this thread! 

It really isn't that technical.   Have a good 'beaking' in some nice restaurant the night before.   Then, on race day, run like a cheetah for as far as you can and crawl the rest.

• Options

with the gels I was planning on taking 4 starting after 30 mins.  Would it be ok to have some jelly babies or something in between taking the 4 gels (aiming for under 4 hours) thanks.  And I think I should have started asking questions a bit earlier!  I ran a fast ish 6k yesterday, nothing today, tomorrow maybe another 6k and nothing Sat as driving to Stoke (from Surrey).

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Probably wouldn't hurt Nicola...if you don't mind all the chewing needed to get the jelly babies down....

• Options

will give me something to take my mind of the pain!

• Options

anyone know anyone who wants my entry?

• Options

slow 4 miler for me tomorrow, thats my lot until race day

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Budjude - you may have more luck starting a thread under Events.

• Options

I let jrlly babies melt.....no chewing involved snd moistens mouth...am I od??

• Options

I alwsy have jelly babies and raisins for my longer runs

• Options

I will have it budjude

• Options

And start from mile 1!!

• Options

cool mate. you want to email me; budjude17@yahoo.co.uk to sort it out?

• Options

I let jrlly babies melt.....no chewing involved snd moistens mouth...am I od??