Options

MBNA Chester Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Apparently race course car park entry closes at 8am, but there are car parks in city centre you can use if you miss this. Not sure where to mark myself either.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

hmm. mark = park. Can't edit post for some reason.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

I would never mark myself.

• Options

Thanks 15west, I have never been to Chester before, so I better get there on time! image

Targets for Sunday:

1: Get to the start line

2: Cross the the finishing line

3: Sub 4:30 (near 4 would be better thoughimage)

4: Still want to sign up for another full after the race! 

Been really great for all the advice you guys have been posting, 3 years ago I could barely run a 5K, since then I have ran many halfs but a full has always scared me but I will do my best this Sunday and try and enjoy it! 

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

As it's your first don't worry too much on a time - whatever you get will be a PB...but try and stick to an even pace as much as poss and then you should get round ok.

It will be warm sunday...so take that into account. Stay well hydrated in the days leading up to the race, don't skip on the salt, and take on drinks at the water stations on the course.

• Options

Hi all

Ages since I've posted and hope all looking forward to Sunday.

Like others on here im feeling quite nervy but at the same time feel i have something to prove after disappointing run in Loch Ness last year , stomach ache led to cramping up and a walk, run and crawl over last eight miles. Training gone quite well this time so fingers crossed Sunday will help banish those memories ..best of luck to all.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

oh..and do get there early enough so you won't be faffing around too much...there will be queues for loos...

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Kev - do you know what gave you the stomach ache? I ask as I have had a few problems during some of my long runs and want to avoid that as much as poss, so need to play it safe as poss with the diet the day before.  It actually affects quite a few, stomach cramps etc.

• Options

Hi everyone

will be my first marathon and getting nervous. last run done today and that's it then till Sunday.  Having never done one before I am after a bit of advice with regards which pacer to follow?  I have done 30k in 2h 28m twice and a 33k in 2h 50m.  I want to do it in under 4 hours but not sure who to follow?  Do you think its doable???

thanks lots

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Well - reckon you could keep with the 3.45 pacer...although as first one maybe 4.00 pacer is more sensible....your call (go for 3.45!).

• Options

Hi Nicola,

According to runners world race time predictor your long runs indicate a possible marathon time of 3.32:15 or 3.40:22, so very doable, although I would err on the safe side, set of slow and if you're still feeling strong at 20mile go for it.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/general/rws-race-time-predictor/1681.html

• Options

Hi Nicola

If you were to keep going for the final 9km at same pace as you averaged over 33k you could take 55 minutes over the last 9km and still finish in under 3:45.   I know the last 9km are the killer km, on the other hand I've always found that strange things happen once I have a number stuck to me and I seem to be able to run faster than I can in a training run.   If the same happens to you then I reckon 3:45 is definitely achievable.  I take it that 33k was a training run rather than a race (I've not come across a 33k race before  image)

• Options

oops meant to point out (which you probably know anyway) that your av pace over 33k was much faster than 9k per 55 minutes.... which is why i think you could do it.

• Options

/members/images/699630/Gallery/Picture1.png

Looking good for Sunday image

• Options

I'd take that weather, I guess 17 must be the maximum temperature so hopefully most of us will be finished by the time the temp hits it's max. 

Hopefully the wind won't blow and we might have perfect conditions. 

• Options

I went for a rare outdoor run yesterday with a bevy of beauties from my gym.   I found running outdoors required much less effort than the treadmills and it was so much easier to breath.   But somewhat chilly for my liking.   My gym's always a nice constant 18-20C.  

• Options

Looking forward to Sunday weather looks promising!

Can anybody recommend a place for a good pre race sports massage in South Manchester?

• Options

Questions on pacers and water stations.

In my previous marathon (which didn't have pacers), I noticed that I lost 10-15 seconds at each water station...  presumably just the act of picking up the water and messing about drinking it. This is quite a loss - If I could have taken 5 seconds per station from that lost time, it would have made a massive difference to my time.

In thinking about this, I realised that if I'm tagging onto a pacer, there could be quite a knot of people all descending on the water stations simultaneously. Is that a real problem.  Even a little bit of dodging around people could easily cost a few seconds at each station.  Is it better to hang back a hundred yards, to keep a steadier pace?

• Options

Also wonder about the fiddliness of gels and water. 

The water has 'sports caps', which sounds fine, but they can be much trickier to open than a simple scew top... especially if you've got one of your hands trying to keep a grip on the gel.

And then, it's a 2 handed job opeing the gels.... and you need to consume the gel before you can start on the water.

WIll the water be pre-opened?     Will the gel be handed out in time for you to open it before picking up your water?

WIll all the bins be withing 400m of the water stations...  which means you have to carry the bottle for miles if you don't drink quick.

I know it sounds picky... but even 7 seconds lost at 9 water stations adds more than a minute to your time.

• Options

All good questions RK as my kind of concerns too.

I'm taking my own gels so I can take them at my own times - they are in a band on my right arm.

I'm planning on taking my own bottle of water so I can skip the first station. Hopefully I'll be so far ahead by the second one that the station will be empty (or when in reality I'll be near the back of the field they won' the so busy).

I certainly won't be using all 9 stations (if that's how many there are) otherwise I'll be losing even more time in the loos as wellimage 4 or 5 will probably be my maximum.

• Options

OMG Runny Knows! Sounds like you worrying about same as me and can't sleep!! I am worryinh about keeping up with pacer.....last two races...10 miler and 20 miler I didnt stop at all in first for drink and once only in second race and it mafe big diffetence to my time! not just the stopping but geting back into stride adds to time lost....everyone will say its better to hydrate tho. Re gels, don't have that problem....jelly baby every mile is easy to get out of bum bag, provides some moisture as I let it melt and is easily digested......terrible for teeth tho! image

• Options

I carry my own gels so no problem there, I pick up a bottle of water around 5 miles depending where the station is and carry it with me until finished then exchange for a new bottle, probably only use 2 depending on the heat. I won't be pausing at the drink station I will sip water on the run as and when I need. 

• Options

WOW I hadn't even considered half of these concerns, congestion, bottle caps, carrying water etc but now you've got me thinking Hmmm!

I was wondering what everyone's race strategy is, do you plan to go out strong and try to hold on, try and run an even pace throughout or run a negative split?

Personally I always intend to run a negative split but always go out too fast.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

worry worry. If running with a group then maybe hang back as approach water station and then catch up after, or run ahead a bit. If not in a group don't worry about it. The drinks will be in sports drink type bottles so hold on to it as long as you like and suck from that teat. The gels will make things a bit more tricky if have to consume with water, maybe take one from a station and consume just before appraching next station? I am taking SIS gels which you can have without water.

As far as I can remember from Chester last year there were zero problems with the water stations.

• Options
    REMREM ✭✭✭

I have run one marathon negative split, and it felt great - passing lots of people, but you are left  with the nagging doubt you could have gone faster.

I think in part it depends how the training went. If you have done the long runs and have the stamina, go at the pace you think you can run the whole thing.  I plan to run to my planned pace to 20 and see what's left in the tank! Didn't work in London BTW!!

4 day carb depletion over - time to eat!

I

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Oh, and even splits if possible all the way from me. Negative split would be nice of course....but probably not realistic. So - will go for evens...apart from first mile. The slow down in the last 6 is often inevitable though, so most people actually positive split.

• Options
    REMREM ✭✭✭

SIS gels for me as well.  One every half hour. 

• Options

Was just gonna post the same as 15W, don't panic about water stations just get yourself at the front or back of the group before you pick up your water. Just tear the gel open with your teeth, they open really easy so it's not going to damage you. 

Another alternative is ask someone in the group to hold your water for you while you have your gel, or share water with people. 

Its funny watching everyone panicking, just try and relax the next few days and try not to waste energy by getting stressed out. I know it's easier said then done and ill probably be stressed and shouting at people on Sunday morning image

• Options

God, I thought that I was sense!    But some of you guys have taken it to a new level lol.   It is only a run!

• Options

Or tense even lol