Options

Hadrian's Wall 2013

Comments

• Options

Hi Weedy, going for the 2 day challenge with it being our first event. Just got back in from a run a few minutes ago, quite chilly out this evening but after being full of cough and cold for a week it is great to be back out running. 

• Options

Also, is anyone using the training plan on the hadrian's wal website and how are you finding it?

• Options

Not using any plan at the moment Flatfoot. Prob a bad idea and one I need to sort out.

I'll see you on the start line Bees image (sure you're stalking me in my races this year, or am I stalking you?) It's definitely an experience you won't forget. Just don't go aiming for a PB. Unless you're in a pen at the front it'll be wall to wall runners and you'll run an extra mile and a half weaving round people. And you could be waiting for up to 45 mins to cross the start line from when the gun goes off, depending which pen you're in.

High-five everyone you can, wave at everyone you can and just enjoy it as a laugh. And don't use the ferry afterwards - the queues are horrific (again, unless you do a quick race). Sounds mad, but I reckon you'll be quicker getting a bus back to Newcastle (don't get the Metro back to Newcastle - again, horrific queues), then the Metro out to Whitley Bay. One year I spent 90 mins queueing in Shields for the Metro, and it was drizzling image Last three years I've got buses and the longest I've had to wait was 10 mins.

One day
    Alasdair Fowler, Alick, Amster and Mr Amster, Benjamin Kissel, Blakester, Checkmate, EKGO, Gramck +1, Ian78, John MacKenzie, Keith Jones +1, Magnus McGillivray, Mr X, Paulkrunner, Richard Langton, Rockhopper Penguin. The Foon+3.

Two days
    Craney, Crash Bang Wallop, Edinburghemma +Ashley. Flatfoot+1, Louise Hall, Marcus Nichols +2, Oscarr, Pinkbug, Pursued by Angry Bees +1, RunningRaRa, Sleepy Bear, Weedy.

• Options

Hi all - the GNR, and VLM for that matter, seem to be about the spectacle and being there. The emotion and passion must be fantastic. Being horribly practical I can't help but think how I would get home and avoid queues/getting cold(er). Guess it takes a lot of planning!

As for back-to-back schedules, a kinder way to start if you can find the time is to run before work and run either lunchtime, or after work; this exerts some pressure on tired bodies which is part of the plan.

Blakester, where do you get your cherry juice?

• Options
    Hi the foon you can get it on the web www.cherryactive.co.uk .....
  • Options

Hi im doing the one day event (get it over and done) hopefully , it will be my first ultra to .

• Options

11 mile tempo run tonight.

Just nicely settling back into a training routine with some consistent running.

• Options
    Last I heard Cherry Active was on sale at Holland and Barrett, though must check...
  • Options
    Unfortunately it's not on the penny sale. I'll upload our training plan when I'm n pc rather than my phone. I should check out the website one too.
  • Options
    14.5miles on Fri night, 3 on Sun just to see how legs felt...ok when warmed up...then 5 on Mon. Being really wary of re-awakening my dodgy knees so being relatively tentative with training. All going well though and like Foon I'm grazing all the time as I'm constantly hungry...trying to be sensible in choices..hmm.

Tried Gu gels on Fri for 1st time ever and was amazed! Rocket fuel! Amazon have the expresso ones at ??2.48 for 24..surely a mistake but I've ordered 2boxes and I'm preparing myself for a consumer rights battle. Wish me luck..bet they cancel the order...
  • Options
    Carlisle Central booked for 21st June and Newcastle Central for 23rd. Got to do it now that's another ??76 spent! Thought running as a hobby was supposed to be cheap?
  • Options

Hey RaRa - you could wrap youself in your survival blanket and find a bench on the Quayside to sleep on - sure you wouldn't be the only one... image

Seriously though, this is why I'm not entering loads of races - just can't afford the costs. Mostly local, mostly with easy transport links, no overnight stay.

On the plus side, 99% of my running is free, other than the cost of gear, shoes, and so on, so not so free after all, I guess. Stopped buying tops a while ago as I've built up a collection of freebies from races. image

• Options

Hey RaRa, we have been on Amazon and ordered some espresso and blackberry Gu gels. Have had these for the past few months and apart from the great taste (!) they do give you 'something'. I'll make mine last over 5 miles, taking a pull every now and then. And well done on those back to backs last weekend; it's ok when the legs catch on with 'the plan'. Keep grazing almonds, kitkats, fruit, kitkats, pasta, couscous, kitkats - see a pattern here?

PAB - it is so expensive lately; the local races offer better value and nicer cake too. I prefer medals to t-shirts now.

• Options

Hi Tim, welcome to the party.

Got dozens of tops, and only four pairs of shorts. If there was a race that gave out shorts instead of tops, I'd enter that like a shot...

Incidentally, for anyone raising money for charity...someone I know suggested doing a sweepstake on finishing time. Seemed like a cracking idea - way more interesting than the usual "gimme some money" line. Winner gets a set amount, rest to charity.

One day
    Alasdair Fowler, Alick, Amster and Mr Amster, Benjamin Kissel, Blakester, Checkmate, EKGO, Gramck +1, Ian78, John MacKenzie, Keith Jones +1, Magnus McGillivray, Mr X, Paulkrunner, Richard Langton, Rockhopper Penguin. The Foon+3. Tim Lister.

Two days
    Craney, Crash Bang Wallop, Edinburghemma +Ashley. Flatfoot+1, Louise Hall, Marcus Nichols +2, Oscarr, Pinkbug, Pursued by Angry Bees +1, RunningRaRa, Sleepy Bear, Weedy.

• Options
    Kit Kats? Pringles, dried apricots, granola bars, Pringles ... Used to love grazing on almonds but I work in a school and all nuts are banned so I can't keep those in my drawer anymore.

Agree that race organisers should catch on and gives us some bottoms...I must have 30 tops and 3 bottoms...short, middle, long...

Off to work now with my orzo salad packed in prep for a good run tonight...however it is v cold and v snowy. Unless conditions improve it may be backup plan down the gym...
  • Options

I got a dandy pair of Salomon S-Lab socks at the end of the Kielder Marathon. Right Bobby Dazzlers, they are. 

Pair of shorts would be cool.

Some races have had Buffs (in America, I guess), can't have too many Buffs.

• Options
    Edinburghemma wrote (see)

Relentless Forward Progress is good. I would definitely recommend it,

I'd second that - I've just finished it too

My fave tips from it (over and above the progs):

the book recommends taking on board 100 cals every half hour

The author recommends the following pacing strategy for novice ultra runners: 25 mins run / 5 mins walk, when start gettng tired drop to 20 mins / 5 mins and towards the end 15 / 5. 

Kit recommendations - compression tights (apparently reduce/eliminate any chafing).  Rest as per what we've already chatted about - ie spare socks - 2nd pair of shoes etc

real food is emphasized as far as we can stomach it as the mix of fat/protein/carb is apparently more lasting in terms of energy release.

Yeah I quite like my buffs - I had quite a collection of No Fuss ones at one point - only seem to have one left though but I do like their little monkey logo!

Anyone else heart rate training? I'm finding it slower than the average slug journey but everyone keeps telling me to persevere...

• Options

Spotted this posting, which might be of interest to anyone near Leeds

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/general-running/biomechanics-research---leeds-metropolitan-university/240696.html?lastunread=1&lastviewed=10299535#lvm

Guy looking for subjects for a dissertation. Downside you have to do 3 half marathons on a treadmill. Good chance to test a couple of different packs tho.

Not tried heart rate training Sleepy Bear. Tony Audenshaw on Marathon Talk podcast is a big fan.

• Options

We did a slowish, hilly  20 miler yesterday and legs 100% today without cold bath, so I'm going to aim to do 7-10 today. On the food, I ate a couple of shot bloks and tum felt decidedly funny 10 minutes later, so I'm going to try and eat proper food next week and see what happens. Also I was looking at an ultrawalkers blog, who walks/runs ultra races and he recommends carrying flat coke, citing that you'll get an extra 1.5hrs of oomph per can. Must find link...

• Options
    I keep thinking i want a buff..

On food issue Scott Jurek in his book says he runs 100milers on tortilla wraps with refried beans...which i must say sounds more appetising than a sugary gel except 4 obvious issues of chewing/swallowing!
  • Options

John Tarrant - the Ghost runner used to drink a concoction called the Corspe reviver, it was 1 litre of lemonade shaken until completely flat, with 3 tablespoons of Glucose powder, and 1 large teaspoon of salt.

I tried a mix last week 1/2 litre hand bottle with water, 100mls of Maple syrup  dissolved in water with 2 teaspoons of coffee a small bottle got me through 18 miles very well. 

• Options

Chia seeds in water with agave and lime is class for keeping you going. Goes gloopy, and so stops me from getting stitches.

• Options
    I remember my dad in the 80's making strong squash with a tsp of salt...

Someone annoyed me today...so I got mad...and entered the Manchester Marathon. That'll teach them!

6.5miles on canal today..boring...like treadmill running but outside.
  • Options

RaRa - "don't get mad, get running" - think you could get a t-shirt out of that... image

One more run to get my Jantastic target - looks like I'll miss the Parkrun, so maybe a jaunt out tonight...

• Options

RaRa - that made me laugh. But the big question is what made you angry enough to enter Hadrian's Wall?

/members/images/727962/Gallery/shirt.jpg

• Options
    Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)

RaRa - that made me laugh. But the big question is what made you angry enough to enter Hadrian's Wall?

Yeah - I'm wondering too image

• Options
    Can't talk about it...lol.
  • Options

Hey Ra Ra - did you get mad when the Amazon gel arrived - note singular !!

Too good to be true. Wanted to say "yes" to PAB re chia, agave and lime; it assisted me round the MK marathon last year; rain and wind all the way but I swear it gave me the energy.

It's a mudfest this weekend at Wellingborough x-country. Bring it on!

• Options
    I'm thinking of Manchester too RaRa and was going to do Blackpool, but thinking bout the cash gives me collywobbles. Whatever the heck the are.
  • Options
    I'm in for both of those, with Llanelli the middle, also have a spare manchester ticket if anybody wants one, running mate pulled out