Options

Hadrian's Wall 2013

Comments

• Options
    Hi all

Entered the two day event last week and really enjoyed reading the messages on this forum. I have 8 marathons under my belt so thought that it was time to step up to an ultra.

Just started the training!
  • Options

Hi Craney, eight marathons is good going. This no 9 and 10 or have you got one before June?

Bees - those shoes look nuts. How do you clean them? And stop them going rusty?

One day
    Alasdair Fowler, Alick, Amster and Mr Amster, Benjamin Kissel, Blakester, Checkmate, EKGO, Gramck +1, John MacKenzie, Magnus McGillivray, Mr X, Richard Langton, Rockhopper Penguin.

Two days
    Craney, Crash Bang Wallop, Louise Hall, Marcus Nichols +2, Oscarr, Pinkbug, Pursued by Angry Bees +1, RunningRaRa, Sleepy Bear, Weedy.

• Options

Weedy - I have no idea, but I applied to be part of their tester programme, so I'll tell you if they decide to send me a pair... image

• Options
    Chainmail shoes?! Seen it all now.
  • Options

Hi all,

Entered the one day with a mate. We've both done marathons but never anything further. This is definitely going to be a one-off! Great thread though. Going to try and get on top of the gear in the near future. Should have started trainging for Brighton marathon by now but might go out tonight...

Has anybody got any recommendations for accom in Newcastle that will accomodate for arriving at an un-Godly hour?

• Options

Hi Keith

The closest hotel to the finish line is the Jury's Inn hotel, on Gateshead quayside. I don't know what it's like tho, so wouldn't want to recommend it personally.

One day
    Alasdair Fowler, Alick, Amster and Mr Amster, Benjamin Kissel, Blakester, Checkmate, EKGO, Gramck +1, John MacKenzie, Keith Jones +1, Magnus McGillivray, Mr X, Richard Langton, Rockhopper Penguin.

Two days
    Craney, Crash Bang Wallop, Louise Hall, Marcus Nichols +2, Oscarr, Pinkbug, Pursued by Angry Bees +1, RunningRaRa, Sleepy Bear, Weedy.

• Options

The Travelodge let me book in at anything beyond 2 am last year, I'm going there again because it's all there is, but it was not good, full of drunks and idiots who were still like the walking dead when I arrived. I complianed and got half my money back. Don't suppose that time in Newcastle is going to be any different this year.

• Options
    Hi Weedy

Got VLM in April as prep for the wall.

Is anyone staying in the army dormitory at Carlisle castle the night before? Or any other recommendations?
  • Options
    Don't drive or park in Newcastle and get the train over you'll want your car at the finish
  • Options

Morning all!

We're booked in at the Central Carlisle Travelodge Craney - £27 - claims to be a 10 minute walk from the start. Never stayed but expecting the normal basic standard!

Not made any plans for dinner so as and when we all know what's happening - maybe we could meet up and say hello as suggested!

• Options

I stayed there last year, it's rough as you'd expect but the price is right

• Options

Booked two family rooms in the Travelodge on the M6 just north of Carlisle. It means an 8 mile drive in the morning, but should be relatively peaceful. Not bad for only £28 per room. The family support car can then trek across the country following my helpful laminated maps and satnav postcodes to hopefully be in Newcastle at the end to pick up my weary body. Although (like after the London to Brighton) my wife will say she is tired and it will be me driving back to Telford!image

• Options
    Good work Richard . I stayed in the county hotel last year next to the train station and a 10 min walk to the castle . And the bingo down the street happy days..will stay there again ..
  • Options

Planning on staying in the dorm at the start - seems like the easy option, cheap and cheerful. 

• Options

I'm doing the one day run and coming straight from a holiday in the Lake District (and the Great North Swim) but wondered if anybody knew of anywhere to stay that might accept a dog? My partner has decided to come with me and we will have our beloved Spaniel in tow ...

• Options

You know what really annoyed me about this run, and is likely to again, now that I've remembered. If you do the two day option you get accreditied with 2 marathons. If you do the one day, you only get accredited with 1. That's not right!

• Options

Hi paulkrunner - travelodges take dogs - we've stayed in one previously for that very reason!  As you go through the booking procedure - there's a tick box and usually a charge of about £10 for extra cleaning.  You enter your card details last so if you haven't been given an option - it might be worth halting the booking and checking by phone first!

EKGO - that seems a bit mean doesn't it! image

• Options

Hi Paul. I'm doing the Great North Swim as well. Friday 3pm wave for me, so I might see you there.

For anyone who hasn't seen the thread, Amster, Mr Amster and I are meeting on Sat, Jan 25, to run the Hadrian's Wall section from Lanercost to Vindolanda. If anyone's free and fancies joining us, just message either of us.

Hotels wise, I'm staying at the AngusHotel in Carlisle. I've stayed there twice before. And I've bottled out of camping on the Saturday night, so I'm staying at the TwiceBrewedInn near Vindolanda. I like camping, but I need a decent night's sleep to tackle the second day. Not sure what the policy on animals is at both places.

EKGO - Bit unfair that.

One day
    Alasdair Fowler, Alick, Amster and Mr Amster, Benjamin Kissel, Blakester, Checkmate, EKGO, Gramck +1, John MacKenzie, Keith Jones +1, Magnus McGillivray, Mr X, Paulkrunner, Richard Langton, Rockhopper Penguin.

Two days

• Options

No-one staying in the dorm then? I called RR yesterday to sort it out - the person on the end of the line, while helpful, did confirm that you can't book through customer services as it says on the website, and that it will appear on the website to book at the end of this week / start of next. Which sounds like I'm the first person to try and book up.

Not sure I want to be rattling around an old castle on me own...

• Options
    pinkbugpinkbug ✭✭✭

I'm stopping at Carlisle central Travelodge on the friday night too (with hubby and dog) and staying at The Old Repeater station saturday night, hopefully for a good nights sleepimage 

• Options

Thanks guys, I'll see about the Travellodge as that would be ideal as a base.

And Weedy Gonzalez sadly I won't see you for The Great North Swim, I think I'm the Saturday as I'm only swimming the 1 mile. My gf is swimming the 2mile distance though and we decided we would need to support each other, it is possible I might sink otherwise

Looking forward to The Wall though ... This will only be my second ultra, running the White Cliffs 50 in a few weeks but think The Wall will be a whole different challenge. I was so annoyed at not getting into the London Marathon I thought I should do something bonkers instead.

• Options

Pursuedbyangrybees, I'll be staying in the castle hopefully - got no car or anyone driving me up (friends have bailed which I dont blame them for given the distance!) so I just want to stay as close to the start/finish as possible. 

• Options

Hey paul - I like your thinking and why not? London's not the only race in the country!

The only reason we're not in the castle is because I'm a reasonably light sleeper so dorm style accommodation doesn't suit me!  Bet it'll be fun though and great camaraderie!

Time to go out in the snow - enjoy everyone, stay safe image

• Options

Hi looking forward to the recci next weekend.  Great to see so many of us doing the event .  

• Options

Hey everyone, just catching up on the forum, thanks for all the tips and advice.  Im a Newcastle lad who now lives in London, entered the one day event, cant wait to run/walk/crawl back int my home town.  Its my first Ultra, only done one marathon and that was part of an Ironman last year.  Training is going well, had a 35km trail run yesterday for my 35th Birthday and it felt good.

If anyone is training in and around London I would love to meet for a few training sessions... just drop me a line.

Good luck everyone!

• Options

Hi Ian, Happy birthday! You planning to keep the birthday run going every year? This is where you could end up - guy who ran 80 miles on his 80th birthday. It's a great read if you've got ten minutes to spare.

http://runningforeighty.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/november-19-monday-2012-i-finished-80.html

One day
    Alasdair Fowler, Alick, Amster and Mr Amster, Benjamin Kissel, Blakester, Checkmate, EKGO, Gramck +1, Ian78, John MacKenzie, Keith Jones +1, Magnus McGillivray, Mr X, Paulkrunner, Richard Langton, Rockhopper Penguin.

Two days

I've found another video from last year's run.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5p815s_vQE

• Options

Hi Weedy sorry we are not going to be able to make this weekend. We will still be doing a recci of the route maybe the week after weather permitting.   

• Options
    Just watched video weedy brings back some good times & bad like the feet how's training going all .havnt ran for 2 weeks but all ok now hope to go out sat not long till born to run ultra looking forward to it only 60 runners I think .
  • Options

No probs. I'm busy next weekend, so I might still try and get up this weekend and do some of the route from Lanercost onwards. Depends on the weather tho - it's looking v iffy.

• Options

Blakester - fingers crossed for you. You been on the injury bench or just snowbound? My training's still hampered by ITB bother. I'm up to 30 miles a week, with 9 miles for my long run. Looked at my plan and I should be at 20 for my long run, so my plan's pretty much in the recycling bin now.

How's everyone else doing?

Like the way the guy in the video calls Vindolana Vindaloo - it could catch on image