Giants Head Marathon - June 2013

Comments

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

I have just looked at the elevation....please tell me that 2nd half isn't really like that...
    At least the last mile or two are downhill

• goldbeetlegoldbeetle ✭✭✭

Yeah about the last mile......Fu Man and I were loking at it and we havd to add a little bit to help us with sign posting because theres the risk of getting lost. 

the good news is you will now not get lost

the bad news is.......well how can i put this.....erm

Im sorry ok

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Don't tell me you're taking us up more bloody hills? Maybe have a chat to Mel Ross about signalling. Her runs are superb! 

26.1 miles we hav....

I mean you have a very slight incline

before the plummet

.....er gentle glide into Sydling

So all good nothing to worry about. 

i will ensure we fill in the rabbit holes and get rid of the slippery sheep droppings image

So basically its still 10 big hills and couple of little mole hill type affairs 

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭

How many Big Hills are there in the 10K... erm... hill race?

Well theres a hill at 1 mile then 2.5 miles then a mole hill at 5.5

Sarah

*whispers*

TBH the two in the 10k are tough but you dont have a further 23 miles and 8 major climbs  to run afterwards so all good

Markymark the photographer will be at 3 miles to get you in all your glory climbing to Jackmans cross whch is about 500 feet 

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I'm getting more and more scared of this run every time i look at it. The love point at Mile 20 better be good!

It will be amazing tables chairs food cakes etc cider image

• You might have to drag me away from the chais, cake and cider image

• Okay, so I got through the Sarsen Trail Neolithic Marathon (Avebury to Stonehenge) on Sunday in my worst ever time by some margin (4:08) - there were plenty of hills but I think the miles and miles of flinty paths were so tough on feet/knees/hips that in the end I wasn't that unhappy with the time it took - and as only one person finished under 3 hours and 2nd place was 3:19 it must have been a bit tougher than I expected.

My lovely wife had been waiting at the finish since the winner came through and very kindly told me that I was probably the oldest person she had seen cross the line image

I'm still broken - 2 miles last night and 3 tonight were still pretty painful, but no real damage so I'll hopefully be up for a bit of hill training by Sunday, by which time about 30 pints of lager & cider should have flushed the pain out of my quads.

• Well done Chillies, it sounds like  you'll do great at Giants Head. image

• Just slightly jealous. I'd be happy to run a flat marathon under 4:08! I'll certainly won't be trying to keep up with you image

Had my first run back after a nasty little foot injury, got 3 miles on the clock with another 3 miles later. I can just feel it giving me a little jip but i think it just needs stretching out. Going for a 5 miler tomorrow then resting Sunday to start my usual training week. I know I should get some hill runs in, but realistically I think I'll be walking the hills image

• If any of you want a nice flat warm up race this one is very good and there is a pub at the end? image

http://www.eyamhalfmarathon.org.uk/

• Are you doing that one Cake?

• yes but not expecting much it's a very hard one. A mate of mine run's a project of the route so got to do it so I can pop in and play with there sheep doy'simage

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

Never believe Cake when he uses the word Flat.

My first week of nigh on 50 miles, will be over 50 by end of Sat if I do some speed work, since before Christmas. Mind I haven't swum or cycled though.

Nice hillt 20 miler planned for Sunday. Hill work planned for Weds eve.

I think the toughest hill on the Neolithic marathon is comprable to the easiest hill on the GH. I'm still trying to find a 2 mile long hill with over 500' ascent to train on. A nice surprise for mile 13. image

• Cake wrote (see)

If any of you want a nice flat warm up race this one is very good and there is a pub at the end? image

http://www.eyamhalfmarathon.org.uk/

Naughty boy, Eyam is NOT flat image

• Eyam's no good, where's the bling?  I need commemorative bling for my first official hm, especially if I'm going to tire out my poor legs the week before I walk the GH course.

... and if Cake says it's flat, then of couse I believe him. image

Interesting thoughts about hills. My mate Marky T is in charge of logistics on the day water and aid stations etc.

Hes an experienced hill runnner, ultras, has done Man vs Horse and all the well known tough off roaders. His thoughts on the race, very demanding, the first Hill at Huish, Priest Walk at 8 miles behind the Giant and Batcombe at 20 miles are the most demanding.

He will be watching the race to see if anyone can actually run the hill at Batcombe. As far as descents go the drop into Minterne Parva at 11 miles, at 12 miles into Lyons Head and Penn wood are  most painfull But the toughest drop is probably the finish the last 800 metres down the Wessex Ridgeway is very steep.Its also the end of the 10k route now.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    goldbeetle wrote (see)

He will be watching the race to see if anyone can actually run the hill at Batcombe. As far as descents go the drop into Minterne Parva at 11 miles, at 12 miles into Lyons Head and Penn wood are  most painfull But the toughest drop is probably the finish the last 800 metres down the Wessex Ridgeway is very steep.Its also the end of the 10k route now.

Is there a prize? image

His white German Shepherd will give you a massive sloppy kiss

• goldbeetle wrote (see)

very demanding, most painfull,  the toughest drop & very steep

If it's all the same, I'd quite like to get back to terms like "do-able, undulating and won't hurt at all".

Taken from Facebook page 

Right hows the training going?
    I know a lot of you, thats the entrants not people just turning up for the Hog Roast, have just come off spring marathon training. make sure you get some hill training in.
    Right some info for you this will go out in an email, that few people seem not to be getting.
    Waterstations are positioned at the following distances, all of the distances are ish
    3 miles jackmans Cross.
    6 miles Higher City Farm (First aid station Eddies Hill {he da man})
    8.5 Cerne Abbas.
    10.5 miles Minterne Parva
    13 miles Manor Farm Minterne Magna (second aid station Maiden Newton Runners)
    16 miles Telegraph Hill
    18.5 miles Gore Hill
    20.4 miles Batcombe (third aid station Runnersworld/Fetchpoint/Enigma Love Station) 
    23 miles Upsydling farm
    Higher City Farm again at 25 miles
    All of these are preliminary and subject to change. The three aid stations are set in stone and will have guaranteed transport back to the finish onsite, also a 4x4 vehicle should you fall off a hill and bust something.
    At admin in the village hall you can drop off drinks and gels, food lager, whatever you want for the the three aid stations, not the other waterstations though. We are hoping to have bottled energy drinks at 23 miles and we hope to have some gels out on the course too if our friends in the running industry remember us???
    We also have first aid provision on the course. Its quite likely at 20 miles you will meet a naughty nurse

• (((Mrs Mousey))) To be fair, everything seems flat against the GH elevation.

Shutting entries soon on Giants Head marathon,

probably Monday,

10k still open
    http://www.whitestarrunning.co.uk/index.php

• I'm so going to die!!!!

Not die quickly but really really painfully and slowly

My hill training consists of running up the stairs to bed image

Guna bang out a few laps up Ham hill me thinks

The Farmer who owns a "hill" said why would run up there I have to zigzag my tractor otherwise it might fall over

I will leave you to work out which hill it is after the race

• It's a toss up between me and TheVicar who'll die first then