Options

Is the rest of the World

Comments

• Options
    Interesting idea Go-KL.

I think you'd have the following problems though...

1. The main reason Boston is so prestigious is that it is the world's oldest marathon. Any new race you recreate would need to build that up over decades.

2. The many large cities in the USA means you can have 3 or 4 really high profile events - Boston, New York, Chicago, Los Angeles. Outside of London we don't have the comparable population centres.

3. One of the appeals of FLM is its location. Despite my northern bias I couldn't think of anywhere as prestigious to run in the country.

4. If you placed the time qualifications like Boston and had it in, say Birmingham or York then you'd have maybe 1000 club runners doing it. The size of the field makes FLM prestigious as well.

Having said all that we could do with a really high profile autumn marathon in this county. Lots of forumites have done Dublin or Amsterdam this autumn, or smaller events like Nottingham, Cardiff, Abingdon. Agree that for many people travelling abroad is too expensive / too much hassle.

Maybe one of these could give itself a shot in the arm by trying to rebrand itself as you suggest.
  • Options
    How about a Barnsley marathon?
  • Options
    Oooh - I'd love to see a qualification only marathon (or 10k or 1/2marathon) that I could aim towards over a number of years.

The only problem I can see for a marathon is that with those sort of times it would cater for the same people that already get GFA's at London. So the serious club runner who maybe isn't all that quick might end up having the same gripes as now?

Maybe if you have slower qualifying times you would get a bigger field but of serious runners only who have trained, prepared and raced over the distance before?
  • Options
    There used to be a Barnsley Marathon in the 1980s. Unfortunately we don't have the landmarks we used to back then - someone called `Thatcher' I think!!
  • Options
    Sorry, Barnsleyrunner, I've only been to Barnsley once and that was in the 80's. What happened to your landmarks?
    Could the Barnsley marathon be resurrected?
  • Options
    The landmarks were mainly coal mines. None left in Yorkshire now :(

Most towns the size of Barnsley had their own marathon I'm told - Huddersfield etc. That was in the `running boom' of the 1980s.
  • Options
    There's a running boom now. Why don't you start off with a Barnsley 5K or 10K?
    There seems to be a thread under events for a race where everyone had to dress as a gorilla? Do people in Yorkshire go in for that sort of thing? Actually, if my Mother in Law is anything to go by I would think not. She's from Rotherham.
  • Options
    Good idea - Barnsley 5k was on the 28th Sept (brand new event) and today as part of our long run we ran a course we're planning a new Barnsley 10k on in exactly a year's time.

As this thread has turned all nice and friendly don't get me back onto running in costumes!

Actually we do have a club xmas handicap run in fancy dress. I tend not to do it an work out the handicaps instead. Might go as 118 man this year though if I can get away with it :)
  • Options
    Well done Barnsleyrunner! You are entering into the spirit of things and even have time to grow your hair and moustache!
    Its good to hear that your club is starting up these new events. I wish you loads of luck with that. For beginners I think 10K is a good distance to aim for. Will you be allowing fancy dress and dogs or is that just for XMas time?
  • Options
    We'll `allow' fancy dress I suppose. Dogs could be a problem as it is a road race.

At Xmas time it does worry me that some of my (male) clubmates like to run throught tough ex-mining villages dressed in a pink fairy outfit!
  • Options
    I'm surprised its possible to obtain such a costume in Barnsley!
  • Options
    Now come on - this thread seems to be getting far too friendly - back to insert a bit of controversy.....

So here goes

I seem to be hearing more and more about people using races as training runs. If a race is full or likely to be full (eg Cabbage Patch 10) is it reasonable for people to run it who are just "training over the distance" and are running at a certain heart rate as part of base training?

This seems entirely against the arguments put forward by runners on this thread that races should be for racing and not for just "jogging round"? Or are these people exempt from the normal criticisms on the basis that they are serious runners....
  • Options
    BR - I lived in a mining village in Durham in my youth and certainly can't imagine the locals running around there in pink fairy costumes!!!
  • Options
    Fair point M.

My initial reaction is that people running races as training runs are doing so as part of an overall athletic goal so have some justification for being there.

However I don't tend to do this and would choose a lower profile race if I did.
  • Options
    Can I join the Grumpy Old Men for a minute?

What makes me cross is the number of people who enter popular races with nothing more than a vague intention of actually running them and don't even turn up on the day.

• Options
    LL, I think thats somewhere near where we started.

Did you see Grumpy old men, I thought they were brilliant and I would be proud to be classed in the same pidgeon hole! It's essentially a sense of humor based on irony and the ability to be able to see the, sometimes idiotic, actions of the 'masses' being manipulated by the establishment, marketing, technology, TV, newspapers etc, etc.

It's being 'individual'.
  • Options
    Jose.Jose. ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Yesterday I had the misfortune of arriving late to a 10 mile race. Thanks to the organisers (Stragglers) we (me and my wife) were allowed to start 13 minutes late. We started catching up people at the 4th mile, and then we were passing the kind of people that are hijacking our sport:

- Disabled
    - Veterans
    - Beginers
    - Youngsters

Some of them were at the limit of their abilities. Some of them were running comfortable as they were running with friends and family.

Who should be eliminated from our sport?

Maybe we should forbide all of them to run so the country can have a bronze medal at the Commonwealth's games.

• Options
    Hmmm - so what are we saying here - that having all these people in the field are taking away places for 'serious' athletes ?

I don't really seem to have a problem with getting places for races (FLM might be the exception !), so I see it as a bit of a non-issue. All you have to do is be a bit sensible and plan your races ahead. And if you aren't doing that, then you aren't a very serious athlete. I'd think Paula has a very good idea of her races for the next year or so now.

And we must encourage beginners and youngsters to run, or there won't be a sport to talk about in a few years.

• Options
    Jose, I get the feeling your first language may not be English?
  • Options
    Jose.Jose. ✭✭✭
    well spotted Moe, it's not?

is that relevant to the thread?

maybe you didn't understand what i meant due to my English. I don't mind to explain it if you like to.
  • Options
    I think one of running's biggest stengths is its accessibility to everybody at all levels, but that this is perhaps also its vulnerability in competitive events, eg you get fun & charity bike rides etc, but they're not tagged on to the Milk Race or a cycling hill climb/time trialling event. I don't really know what the answer is as I'd feel uncomfortable with anybody being denied the opportunity to participate in an event at whatever level but at the same time, I personnally would not choose to participate in an event where there is a heavy fun-run, walkathon/jogathon/dogathon element, in the same way as I wouldn't enter for a race unless I felt I'd done sufficient training & preparation to run the course. I guess it's just a question of individual runners being responsible enough to select events appropriate to their ability and their aims (ie is it a one-off charity day out, a challenge to your own pb or a competitive athletic event)and down to the organisers to attempt to maintain some kind of balance.
  • Options
    Jose' the people you speak of in your late start race are fine, it's the element of entrants who have no intention of pushing themselves and have no comprehension or race etiqete (?), positioning themselves too far forward at the start that cause the big problem. The only reason they are there is to be the center of attention (in their own mind)of the 'party', try and get on TV, in the process cocking up everyone else's run and then fade into the back of the field getting overtaken by the sweepers. To top it off they then go home and claim to have 'done' the FLM, GNR, GSR etc! When in fact if they had put any effort into it at all they were capable of much more. It's sad and these people cheat themselves as much as they cheat the rest of the runners in a race.

Also agree with Erratic.
  • Options
    Sorry Jose', I only ask about your mother tounge as I feel I had made these points previously but the misunderstanding may be my fault, I know HMG who is French sometimes misses my meaning as well ......especially when it comes to English humour .......... or is it just me ;-)
  • Options
    Errr sorry I have read the first few pages and the last few pages so I may be making points that have already been covered if so a loud SHUT IT! will do

With regards big events being clogged up with poor ability runners....appart from FLM then there wouldn't be any big events without them. If you discourage people of limited ability or people having fun and dressing up then during the rest of the year a lot of the races would not get filled and you would be in danger of loosing some events. I have never raced in an event where the field are all good runners and for someone like me, who usually finishes mid field I would not like to run in such an event.
    I did my first GNR after only 8 weeks training....but if it hadn't been for that I would never have taken up running as a past time...it still took me another 2 years to get the courage up to run a much smaller event as I worried that I would finsih towards the back...as it happened I was very pleased to finish somewhere in the middle, if I had been last I would not have been back.
    I would just like to clap those people on the back who finish in the last 10% they deserve as much respect as the top 10% of finishers and without them the sport would suffer.......

enough of this running snobery please!
  • Options
    BBB, Any runner is a good runner, there is no such thing as a bad runner. If you are going to throw accusations such as 'snobery' I'd suggest you read the whole thread first!
  • Options
    Am I reading this right? Is it ok for any five and half hour marathon entrant to stand among the three hour starters and then slowly drop back to their rightful spot on the road after X number of miles? Let's face it at the end of the day that's the only real gripe I have but it seems for some a few of us are still wrong to belive we should be able to give 100% in an event without being hindered every two or three meters!
  • Options
    Moe

I agree with you wholeheartedly on where people stand at the start.

I disagree with the idea that people shouldn't run if they aren't going to try their hardest and with the idea that people shouldn't run in "silly costumes" (although I acknowledge that it was BR who said that not you)
  • Options
    The people who aren't going to try their hardest and are doing so because they are using it as a training run (unlikely at FLM, but ultra runners may) isn't really a problem because those runners would be experienced enough to adjust their position accordingly. And a 3hr capable runner going for 3 and half or even 4 will not be a problem even if he did start at 3 hr group, you would still be working hard yourself to go by and they certainly wouldn't be blocking you.

In the end I suppose the whole problem is about as solveable as M25 traffic flow! The solution is simple (keep your distance) but the human population just can't see it!

NO, NO, NO please don't go there (the argument that is!.......... on the other hand the M25 as well!!).
  • Options
    Jose.Jose. ✭✭✭
    Moe "No problemo"

I might make the point about yesterday's race a bit strongly, but i saw yesterday, people at the end pf the pack, really giving it all. They are also the kind of people that a lot of times are inspirational, as much as the top runners can be.

They deserve my admiration, and all the credit to take part on a race. And they were not doing for charity, they were running just for the pleasure of doing it.
  • Options
    I think people should be allowed to run at whatever pace suits them (regardless of whether its the fastest they can manage) for whatever their own personal reasons are.

But I agree we should try and sort out the starting problems.

BTW I don't have any issue with people using races as training - I just wanted to point out that not everyone has to run their hardest in a race. I don't think I could do it myself though - too competitive by half!