Options

RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• Options

Hi all

Stuart wise move on the missing the run.  Honestly it doesn't do you any good to just run for the sake of it.  You have to get something out of it and sometimes you're not in a shape to do that!

Nell- how long will your long run be tomorrow?  Have you got in any 20 milers yet?

Carl- try your best to ENJOY your time 'off' before you start training for Chicago.  Get yourself in a healthy frame of mind etc.

Carter- I always find the 'not getting as big as a house' a challenge when not running image  It is not easy!!!

Well I have turned a corner and started to feel a good bit better, though still a sore throat, but decided to go the gym tonight and return to running.  As I haven't done much recently I thought, what would be a good session that would be easy enough to just call it a day when I felt I had enough, and I decided that intervals would be a good one as instead of doing my normal 8 or 10 I could just do less as my fitness would somewhat have suffered from being ill.

Did 1km warm up, then did some 800m intervals.  I hadn't actually decided how many I would do in the session but ended up calling it a day at 6 as I was pretty knackered.  I was actually very surprised that I was as fast (actually a bit faster) than the last time I did them.  Though last time I did 8 sets, and this time my recovery in between was a lot easier (sometimes actually stopped running in between).

Splits 3:42, 3:34, 3:31, 3:29, 3:29, 3:27

So the obsessive within me is pleased that they all got consecutively faster and I am happy to be back and not feeling like I've got too unfit from being ill!

Did some weights too.  Enjoyed.

How's everyone's weekend?

• Options

Morning Everyone, hope you all had a good LSR today, those that are doing one. I did a 5K last night on the old Dreadmill, managed a 21:55. Its strange i find it harder to run on a treadmill than on the road. I have my long run tonight, so busy sorting out music and pod casts to try and stave off the boredom.

Glad you're feeling better Ali, are you running today? When will you do your longest run and how far?

• Options

Afternoon! Glad to hear you're feeling better Ali. Good splits too. 

Enjoy your run Stuart. I have taken to listending to Now albums on my LSRs now due to having an 11 year old! I can then sing along to the hits in great embarrassing Mum fashion. The children are also particularly loving my renditions of all of the songs from Frozen at the moment too ha ha haimage 

Carter I know what you mean about the eating and drinking while not running as much. I daren't way myself after eating anything and everything the last week!  Clean eating from Tuesday for me. Although I feel like I could go back to my usual level of running now. That ties in with feeling absolutely fine after I'd finished the race last Sunday. I really don't feel as if I pushed myself physically as much as I could. It was my mind that gave up before my body. Not quite sure how I'm going to fix that one. 

• Options
    Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi PS, You deserved a week of bad food and relax....

Hi Stuart, I always find it hard running on the treadmill, give me outside any day! I know you have no option though ;0(

Hi Ali glad you are feeling better.

To answer your question, I have ran a couple of 18.5 miler a 19.5 and a 19 and 21 today.

• Options
    Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Went out this morning, lovely morning. Ran with a pal who is aiming for 3:40 at Edinburgh (I thought it was 3:30). Enjoyed the run and it ended 21 at 8:30mm. Had to keep pulling back, I thought talking would naturally slow us down but it didn't! Coming home on the last 4 miles of the 19 is uphill and it was slower, I hung back with my pal and he got through the hills. Then I got in a couple of miles after I left him to get me up to 21. Good run in all, I was glad of the company and having a good natter. The time flew by image

• Options

With you on the treadmill Stuart - I have one and only use it when I absolutely have to... Deffo find it harder than the road - think its a combination of boredom & being a slave to whatever pace you dial in!

Brill on Chicago Carl - really something to look forward to image

Ali - I have been off my feet with illness too recently .... dreaded manflu image. First run today in 10 days - ran a 10 miler @ 8:30 pace ... Beautiful sunny morning for it too!

• Options

Hi PS.  Glad you're feeling OK.  Yes it does sound with you like a case of mind giving up before body as you have the supporting times to do a sub 4 marathon but haven't reached it yet.  I can fully understand this- the marathon is a huge mental battle unlike any lesser distance.

Nell, well done on another good long run for you.  Consistent long run distances.

Ricky- uh oh, manflu can be dangerous... I do sympathise though, I've been horribly ill and it really does make me miserable and feel very weak.  Glad you're feeling a bit better- you must have done to do your 10 miler so well!

I did a nice 10k tonight just quite steady in 54 minutes.  Lovely weather in Aberdeen though still freezing even though sunny.

• Options

Morning everyone, Looks like everyone had a good run yesterday then, i ended up doing just over 20 miles on the treadmill, i was aiming for 22 but i stated to stiffen up and i didn't fancy injuring myself. Next week i will attempt the 22 as it will be my longest run before the marathon. 

• Options

20 miles on a treadmill??!!! The mind boggles..... fair play Stuart .. That's quite a feat!

• Options

Hi Ricky, born of necessity unfortunately. Have to do that 22m next week as part of the plan. And then its Taper time!!!!

• Options

I'm in awe of anyone running 20 miles on a treadmill! 

6 miles steady this morning. It wasn't fun or pretty 

• Options
    Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi Stuart, I have a 22 planned next week and then a 21 the week after. That leaves 3 weeks to taper. Are you taking 4 weeks to taper?

Sorry to hear you have been ill RIcky image Now back to it image

Nice running Ali, yes there is still a cool breeze, but I managed to get out again today in a T-Shirt, nice 3.5 mile recovery run this afternoon...

• Options

Hey Nell, oops, i have a 22 and then a 20, guess i was a week early image Really not looking forward to a 22 on the treadmill.

• Options

Did some seriously long treadmill running during the rubbish weather training for Brighton.  Can't say its much fun but what did help was downloading things to watch onto my iPod and them plugging this into the running machine to watch on the screen. Certainly don't envy you Stuart! I've managed a couple of six milers this week, been generally relaxing and enjoying my holiday after Brighton but work again in the morning so will try and get back to a regular 4-5 runs a week. I've loved being able to run at my pace once more rather than running most if my runs slower as marathon prep. 

Am I right in thinking London ballot opens shortly? (In a few mins I think?)

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Stuart - 20 miles on a dreaded treddie. What a man you are. I think 8 miles would be my limit and even that would be at a stretch. Well done to you.

Ricky - manflu can be life threatening. Need to make sure you have been well looked after and are fully recovered before you get back to it. You would not want a relapse. image

Nell- good running.

Ali - hope you have recovered. Coming down with anything in the run up to a race is never fun.

PS - what are your post London plans.

Canter - did you ever make it back after that run during the week ?

Sean - still partying no doubt. What are the plans for the rest of this year.

Carter - to answer your earlier question. I am going to train for a 3:30 time just as I did for London. Will need to really think through this one come closer to the race. It is a long way to go and not get a big PB so that might be the priority in October. But must not be getting ahead of myself. First must get back to running.

Anyone entering the ballot for London 2015 ?

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Andrew - yes it opens soon. Last year it was about 15 mins after midnight.

You going for it ?

• Options

Hi Andrew, guess your up as well, good luck with the ballot

, Its 11pm here in Mauritania, hoping that the connection is good. Anyone else up at all?

• Options

Morning Carl, thanks, I'm a crazy man to be sure. It just makes the running on land that much more fun. Guess that makes 3 of us so far 

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Evening Stuart, yes back in Ireland for a few days and told the OH that I needed to send some important emails to work. She has gone off to bed and I am waiting.

Last year the ballot closed around 11am in the morning. I think it will be earlier this year.

Having got through the ballot for Chicago I do not expect to get London. But as they say if you are not in you cannot win. image

• Options

Yeh I'm entering but have promised to defer if I get a place. I've sworn to enter very year until I can no longer run in the hope of getting in a few more times over the years

• Options

I told my wife that as we have a new baby on the way, I'll only run special marathons. London being one of them. She is quite keen for me to do New York image

• Options

Looks like the ballot site crashed, got as far as submit and then an error page.

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Stuart and Andrew - I am now registered for the ballot. I would like to run London a few more times and would really like to bag a PB in London. I want to do Berlin, Boston and New York. I am doing Chicago which was on my list and have done Paris. I would also like to fit in Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Connemara.

Does this give me time for anything else is my life. 

Some of these are obviously easier to do than others. Boston needs a sub 3:25 (based on this years qualifying times). Berlin is ballot I think. Have not looked into how NY do it but assume there is some sort of ballot.

I suppose I should concentrate on one at a time.

• Options

That me registered as well, good luck Gents and fingers crossed for October, Bed for me now as I have to be up at 4:45!!!!

• Options

Morning! Ballot entry in. Third attempt at getting a ballot place.

Carl - post-London plans are going to be based around doing better at Chester in October. I want to build some core strength (I kid you not I cannot even do a press up or a sit up), strengthen my left leg, lose half a stone (I'm not overweight but I run better lighter and I can no longer ignore that!) by clean eating not dieting and improve my speed (these were the sessions I always really struggled with). So rather than wallowing in self pity which I have a habit of doing I'm going to try to make positive changes. Oh and have signed up for a 10k in 7 weeks. 

Andrew do you have any intention of deferring if you do actually get a place?! That sounds like my promise last Sunday that this was me done with marathons...

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Morning all.

My London ballot entry is in. I don't think I really want to run it to be honest, far too many people for my liking and with the stories that I've heard about this years event it makes me wonder why i have bothered. I guess it will be just to get it ticked off the list but I wont be bothered if I do get in.

So, it's been 2 weeks since Manchester and I have been on a marathon of eating and drinking. Feeling pretty rubbish now so today I'm getting back on the 'healthy', well healthy for me anyway, wagon. I've managed 5 easy runs in that time with a 7 miler yesterday. Everything feels ok with the usual aches and niggles that come and go. I'm planning another couple of easy runs this week with a 10 miler on Saturday that will include some hills. Then, it will be time to push on get some miles in the legs as I've got those hills to train for in June.

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Carter - like you I have been eating a bit more than I should since running London. I just want to go out for a trot now but as I did not bring the running gear with me then I can only dream. 

PS - like you I intend adding some core workouts into my weekly schedule as I have never reallly done this but know that this can but help. One of my goals at the start of the year was to lose about 7ibs. I am not overweight but my ideal running weight is about 7ibs less than I currently weight. I did not lose anything during marathon training. I do think this will make a difference so am going to focus on this over the next month or so to understand how I can do this by just eating healthy. Going to be a challenge as I have a sweet tooth.image

• Options
    Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi Guys, Like you Carter I am somewhat put off London with all the stories. But on the other side of things I have heard good tales. So I entered the ballot this morning and if I am lucky will make the call then, I won't hold my breath :0)

Hi Carl, You will be surprised how some gym work helps. I don't specifically concentrate on the core. I find from the squats, Lunges and deadlifts along with chest and back exercises all incorporate the core. Chin ups and pull ups are really great for the core and you can buy a pull up bar cheap from argos ;0)

7 miles of hill reps this morning followed by some gym work...miserable day today, but the rain held off this morning until I had completed the last rep so can't complain!

• Options

Didn't bother with London ballot - tried last year but no joy. Just have to run a GFA sometime image

Last day of Easter hols today and it was quite a productive one. We are moving house in a couple of months so lots of fence painting & outside jobs this morning & early afternoon. Then got out for a hilly 6 miler @ 4pm - 1st mile warm up and then 5 mls @ 7:45 pace. Had some dinner, played some footie with the kids & then got a quick 9 holes of golf in @ 7pm. Decent weather today - dry all day with the odd blink of sun.

Feet up Now!

Nell - core stuff is something I need to do - what do you suggest is an easy routine to do at home or is gym equipment preferable?