Options

RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Ricky - some of the core exercises I do are sitting, lying down, soaking in a bath, lifting a pint. Hope that's helped !! image

Nell - if it's any consolation it's a gorgeous day today south of the border !

I've finished pulling together my training plan for the rest of the year. I have a 50k in June and another in August, both hilly races in the peak district, and finishing off the year with a stab at 3:30 at Chester. I will be doing plenty of other fell races but they will be just for 'fun'.

With the main focus getting under 3:30 at Chester I've had to re-think about the paces I will be running in training. The main change at this stage of the plan is that my new LSR/easy pace will now be 9:00-9:30, which is 30 seconds quicker than previously. How this equates to running on the trails I'm not sure yet and most of my weekend runs are going to be on the trails in the early stages of the plan. I only need to run 17 seconds a mile quicker at Chester compared to Manchester to get under 3:30, should be easy. Right ???

• Options

Hello all –just popped in for a quick visit after (mostly) been away from all things running for the last week or so.

Carl – been out for a couple of lunchtime jogs since. No time or distance goals, just some ‘free’ 5 milers.

I did need to retrace my final steps over the Embankment to exorcise that particular memory from the day of the race, and I’ve done that now.

(I did feel some pain in the back of my leg on those runs which was similar to how the problem started for me in the race but definitely not cramp so I’ll be monitoring that)

Well done on signing up for Chicago, are you going to follow the same training plan?

Good luck to everyone who has entered the ballot for London.

No plans for me on any future marathons just yet. If I mentioned that in our house at the moment I’d be looking for somewhere else to live!

The targets for the rest of 2014 are:

A PB for 5k (should be easy as I haven’t got an official time for one yet!)  a 39.xx 10k, and a 1:29:xx HM. Also a 10m race in June organised by my local running club.

Need to dig out my Park Run registration and find some flat races for the rest.

Carter – I’ve been indulging too this last week. My appetite is still at pre-race levels, and there’s been no holing back on the drinks front. I’ve been cashing in my named driver credits from when I was training and Easter couldn’t have arrived at a better time with all that chocolate to be scoffed.

Ricky – fence painting, running, football and golf – makes me tired just reading that lot! Throw in some grass cutting and we have a new modern pentathlon for the 2106 Olympics!

Andrew – that is some serious treadmill mileage. The most I’ve ever managed on a treadmill was 30k, when I was living in the tropics and the oppressive heat and rabid dogs prevented running outdoors. The running was never the hard bit, but trying to keep from getting bored was always a challenge.

Stuart – how do you manage for your training? I’m guessing there are some restrictions where you are based?

PS – 10k in 7 weeks sounds like a nicely timed race post London. Are you aiming for a particular time or following a specific training plan for it?

Ali – are you fully back in the saddle now?

• Options

Hi Bk, you seem like you have recovered well from the marathon. I tend to do all of my running on a treadmill whilst on the rig and then out on the road in all weathers when i'm home. So the only real restrictions are Hill repeats and the crushing boredom of running in one place.

• Options
    Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi Ricky, The best thing you could do is invest in a chin up bar from argos. You can purchase ones that just position above the door and do not require screwing or attaching to the frame permanently. Chinups and Pullups really work the core as well as the chest and back. Single leg squats are good. Also invest in some resistance bands and there are tons of exercises on the web you can perform I swear by this guys routine http://strengthrunning.com/2011/02/the-itb-rehab-routine-video-demonstration/ that is stuff you can do at home for starters image

Hi Carter, I am sure from here you can start moving forward, those fell runs will give you good strength too I should imagine ;0)

Glad to hear you are doing good Canter....good luck on the shorter races!

10 miles this morning at 7:30-40 mm pace, and not too bad a morning it was. Then I was on my feet most of the day at work ;0(  

• Options

Carter - excellent .... I have been doing it right all along - nothing to this core stuff eh?! image

Nell - cheers for that... The challenge will be incorporating this into my routine. A strong core will also benefit my golf game, or so I'm told, adding 20/30 yds off the tee ( God knows I need it) - so Win Win all round.image

BK - come to think of it I did cut the grass as well yesterday. Some nice targets to hit for you there ... achievable too from what I have seen from you!

Like Carter & Carl I too am looking for that sub 3:30 in Berlin .... mmm so just a little over 20 secs a mile faster than Dublin last Sept. Carter when you say it in those terms it sounds very doable - inspirational words indeed sir!

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Ricky - the problem with gaining 20/30 yards is that it will go that much further when you hook or slice it !! I am absolutely convinced that both Carl and yourself have a 3:29 in you. From the very start of this thread you boys have been churning out better and quicker training runs than me and just look what happened for me at Manchester. A good solid training period and things going right on the day and you boys will crack it, I'm sure. 

Nell - nearly taper time ? How are you feeling ? Any ideas about a target time yet ? (What's your PB ?)

You boys who do your runs on the treadmill deserve a medal. I seriously think I wouldn't bother running if I had to do most of it on a treadmill. 

So, who is running Edinburgh ? Nell, Ali and Stuart is it ?

• Options

Hi Carter, I'm running Edinburgh, This Sunday is my longest run at 22 miles. As for a medal for running on a treadmill, i think we need sectioning!!!!

• Options

BK - no idea of a 10k time really. I did a series of 5 10k races over the winter but the route was incredibly hilly so my fastest time was 50:03. I did win my first ever sporting price at the grand age of 40 though finishing 3rd woman in the series. It's a very long time since I've done a "normal" 10k race. I think my previous best 10k time was 47 something but it was over 3 years ago (before I was pregnant with the toddler). 

I preregistered for Paris 2015 and got an email yesterday saying I'd been successful in the "drawing". Anyone know what that's all about?!

Nell - thanks for the core exercises. 4 children and a shot to bits set of split abs means I need all the help I can get! 

• Options

Hi folks. Been off the forum for a week or so as re-turfed my garden over the bank holiday and that turned out to be 3 days solid graft. Back breaking stuff, who needs the gym. Seems to be loads of lurgies floating around so ill type this out wearing gloves, as I dont want to catch anything image I hope you are all over the worst of it though Ali & Ricky  

Carl - great to hear you're going for Chicago. I will really be rooting for you on this one. I know you'll train for it to the letter, and boss the time you are so hoping for.  

Nell - You seem to be getting faster and faster pal. Crikey, the sub 3 hr marathon will start entering the frame for you at this rate. You must be thinking it too, as i've seen / caught you contributing to the 3:00 - 3:30 forum image I too swear by the core gym work which i've being doing religiously since December (squat, deadlift, planks, kettlebells etc). My times have been tumbling and that's the only thing i've changed.  

RE: treadmills. 22 miles on one. Oh my God, that's endurance for you? Not for me personally, The only time I use treadmills for very fast interval training post strength workout. Best fat busting exercise you can do IMO.  

So i've done pretty much no running since VLM and have eaten / drank what seems like a months worth of junk and ale. pizza, chocolate, kebabs, burgers; you name it i've shoveled it. 

I Managed a parkrun on the saturday last which was my 1st run after the marathon and got 21.04, whilst everything felt good and comfortable. Happy with that.  Then I decided a tough hill rep session in the park would be a good idea as only my 2nd jog.  it was 5 miles with 6 x steep reps and 1 x very long rep the length of the park. I bonked big-time and I felt slugglish the whole way round, getting a good insight onto what it must be like to be Olivier Giroud who runs about the Arsenal front line with concrete in his boots. Not my greatest idea that run.   

Anyway im back on the health train again,Gym tonight and then my first 5-a-side for 6 weeks (bliss), then its back to normal 3-4 runs a week including club sessions.   Next event for me is the Leeds half Marathon on May 11th and I'm going for a 1:3X in that one. Definitely decided to focus on shorter races for the rest of the year (for now anyway) and spring marathon again. Im also in the VLM 2015 ballot.

• Options
    Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi Carter, To be honest I am just banging through the schedules at the moment and trying not to think about it too much. At this point of the plan I am ready for the taper to kick in ;0) Time? Well I would like to get 3:15 with 3:20 being my PB last October. It is hard to say at the moment with all the mileage being run... I will re-evaluate on taper time.

Like you Carter, I reckon Ricky and Carl can break 3:30 this autumn...no pressure guys image

Hi PS, Nice to win something now and again eh? Apart from my footie medals the only thing I have won personally was a easter egg at primary school ;0) Fingers crossed for Paris...

Hi Sean, No sub 3 is nowhere near the radar for me at the moment ;0) Yes, I have been frequenting the sub 3:30 page, nice to hear what the guys are doing and pick up some advice, those guys are far more experienced than me.... With you on the gym Sean, and just remember to go back into things carefully don't want to hear you getting an injury. Mind you, you are anything but conventional Sean, and that is said with the best intention at heart image That HM is soon then?!

Hi Stuart, I wish you luck with the treadie 22, I will be out Saturday for 21/22 and it will definitely be on solid ground...

• Options
    Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Went out this morning, 6 miles. 1 mile warm up 4 miles at 6:46 (apart from one 6:45!) and then 1 mile cool down. Rest day tomorrow, thankfully!

Nice morning which is making things all the better....

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Stuart - good luck with the 22 on Sunday !

PS - well done on the bling !!

Sean - you are a nutter !! A Parkrun followed by a tough hill session so soon after a marathon ? You just take it easy big man and don't overdo it. Shame about the Arsenal !

Nell - nice consistent pacing on today's run. Glad to hear the weather has improved for you, it's been lovely here today as well.

A nice little trundle for me in the sunshine at lunchtime. That's my third run this week with a wopping 15 miles clocked up ! It feels good to be running a bit more regular again and I cant wait until I can get out for a long run. This Saturday is going to be 10 miles, the most since Manchester. I'm starting to recce the route for my 50km in June so there will be some hills involved. Obviously running ultras is completely different to marathons and therefore I will need some new kit. First I have to convince Mrs C !!

• Options

Thanks everyone for the good luck wishes. really wish i was on land to run this one as it will be my longest run to date.

• Options

Watching YouTube videos of last years Edinburgh marathon, getting butterflies now.

• Options

Hi everyone.

Been still getting over the last of this illness.  Two weeks been unwell.  Really quite shitty.  Just left me feeling absolutely exhausted even when I thought I was better ie had no symptoms to speak of.

I got back into things last week with a good interval session, and a steady 10k on the Sunday.  This week so far I have done a quickish 5k on Monday night, a 6.4 mile easy run last night, and then 4 miles tonight.  Was going to be doing 21 miler yesterday- but that didn't go to plan.  Was my day off from work- woke up, got up for a bit, felt awful, back to sleep again.  Woke up again.  Got up again.  Felt awful again.  Just really, really, tired and lacking in energy.  No way I could have done my long run.  Pissed off this illness has caught me just before the taper.  I thought I was completely better but I think I might have some kind of post viral exhaustion thing.

Anyway I'm doing a 5k on Sunday (just a charity fun run with my friend) and my only option for getting in 20ish miles is to do them after this in the afternoon.  So that will have to do if I feel up to it then.

Have been keeping up with you all on here and sounds like everyone else's running has gone better than mine recently image

re: London ballot- some of you know I had a horrid experience last year at London (fell, injured self, slow time, miserable) and it was almost TOO big for me.  Too loud, too busy, overwhelming, couldn't really take in everything.

So I'm not that bothered about doing it again.  Had a great time going down to London and getting the 'experience' and am just happy to have done it once.

• Options

Morning all! 

Ali - sorry to hear you're still feeling rough. Make sure you look after yourself. There's no point in forcing yourself to do that last long run and putting yourself back health-wise.  

Carter - you definitely need new kit for running an ultra. What I don't know but you need it! 

I think my coach has sacked me ha ha. I spoke to him yesterday and he said maybe I ought to look for someone else as he's done 2 marathons with me and he's not been able to help me achieve what I want so maybe someone else can. He's a coach who was ran a running weekend I went  on a few years ago and he helps me by phone/email. I'm going to brave the local athletics club this week and see if I can get some help there.

• Options

Good morning all, Hope you are finally on the mend Ali, it must be really frustrating. I Entered the London ballot as i wanted to experience a big city marathon and London is quite Iconic. Plan to do New York one day.

PS, i joined my local running club at the end of last year and the help i received was fantastic, i have really improved my running because of it and i s a route i would recommend.

• Options

Stuart. Good man. Running clubs are definitely a must for anyone wanting to get a big time in any race, and improve overall technique. The training incorporates intervals, tempos, LSR's and hills etc. Also most them have a great social outlet for folk like me who have moved to a strange town (Leeds) and don't have many friends. friends, friends, friends *inbetweeners voice

So what are the additional benefits of marathon training I ask you? I tells thee now. So I played my first game of 5-a-side last night post VLM, whilst many of the assembled 10 had just come back from holidays, smoked, where quite packed out around the mid-riff or all of the above. Bloody hell it was fun literally running rings round them, and I just had one of those magical games where every ball that was stroked by the laces on my left peg flew into the back of the net. By 45 minutes my endless energy and powerful shuttle runs up the flanks was starting to wind up the panting opposition off and the kicking and elbowing began. This is why I dropped out of footy 4 weeks before the race image I intend to enjoy this level of fitness for as long as I can.   

Fast 5 miles at lunch for me today (in preparation for my club 5 mile handicap race next week), parkrun tomorrow then an easy 9 miles around the reservoir on Sunday.

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Not been on much the last few days as I have been suffering with a virus. It just does not seem to be respinding to the usual remedies which is darn annoying as I really want to get back out there. There is no pressure to back out and it would be silly to do so as the energyu levels are way too low.

4 weeks to go until the Bupa 10k so I need to get the legs moving again.

I have been considering joining a running club for some time but have never been brave enough to make that first step. Maybe now is the time as it seems to benefit those of you who are.

PS - I pre registered for Paris and got selected as you did. Their translation is not so good. Your email should have given you a race number. It seems a bit random as I was offered a 99euro place which is what the bulk of the places cost. There are some at 75 and 89euro. In previous years these sell out quickly and the 99 euro places are usually available until early January. Then the last 8000 or so places are 109euro. So I am going to wait and see what happens with London first before deciding on which spring marathon I will do.

I think this is just Paris trying to get the money in early.

• Options

Thanks Carl. Sorry to hear you've been ill. It seems common for people to pick up things after a marathon and have trouble shaking it off. Or before if you're Ali.

So it sounds as if I can wait and see if I get a place for London and if I don't then I still have time to get a Paris place. All rather confusing. 

I've never been brave enough to join a running club either but I really need to do something to make the next step up in terms of performance. I'll let you know how it goes. 

• Options
    Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi Ali, I hope you are feeling better now and getting some mile in.

Hi PS, Bad news on the coach, I hope he wasn't charging you. To be honest it sounds a bit off, thought he could at least give you some pointers or some other coach names?

Hi sean, Well done on the footie, yes that is why I gave up 11 a side. When you get older guys hate the speedy ones and I was always getting hacked ;0(

Hi Carl, sorry to hear you have been feeling ill, yes I agree a club would no doubt help. To be honest I am not sure I could fit that in without some bad feelings in the household, I push it as it is image

21 miles this morning. Changed my run to today as my wife is running the Edinburgh 10 miler tomorrow. Ran at 8mm pace. First 4 and last 4 up/downhill so they pretty much equalled out. Met a pal at the Meadows and ran with him for a mile or so and then kicked on. That was nice and broke the run up. Cold bath when I got in and stretched so the legs 'at the moment' feel ok ;0)

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Morning all. 

Carl/Ali - hope the cold/man flu/virus stuff clears up soon. 

Sean - nice to hear the football has benefitted from all that marathon training. Maybe you should give Mr W a ring and offer your services to the goners. 

PS - I won't be joining a running club as, like Nell, things could get a bit awkward at home. You should definitely do it though if you can as everyone else has said it has improved their running. 

Nell - nice long run there, is that your last one before race day ?

Nothing to report from me for the last couple of days. 15 miles done earlier in the week and hoping to get out today for 10. It's 3 weeks now since Manchester and I am definitely ready to get out there and put some decent miles in. Still drinking too many beers but have gained some control of my food intake. 

• Options
    Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi Carter, One more LSR left and then into the taper.

Off to the Edinburgh Bupa 10 miler today. My wife ran and got 1:36 which she was happy with. Chris Thompson ran and won. 4M Recovery run this afternoon and out for tea ;o)

• Options

Nice running by Mrs Blue!

I know what you boys mean about things getting awkward at home with the running! I justify it on the basis I work in a demanding job and take care of our 4 children who are aged between 2 and very nearly 12. I need to run to stay sane. Plus I'm a bitch if I cannot get my runs in so it's for his own good to let me out ha ha.

Got 6 weeks until my 10k race. I did it 3 years ago in 48:30. Need to be faster. Any recommendations for a 6 week training plan?!

• Options

Hi guys.

PS that is no good about your coach.  If he's someone you've been paying, he's getting paid to do a job.  Did you feel he was worth your time/money in the first place?  Also may I say it's nice to have another lady around here. image

Sean- glad you're still feeling really fit post marathon!  Nice work.

Carl- I did a 10k about four weeks after London last year and did quite well in it.  I think having done a marathon your endurance levels are good so some short sharp work and good speed sessions before your 10k should set you up well.

Carter- not to worry, you're still in recovery period from Manchester and deserve to chill for a bit.

Nell- well done to your wife.  Did you go and watch?

Not good news running wise from me really, still feeling v drained and haven't managed a long run this week.  Really really have not had the energy.  I am quite worried- 4 weeks till Edinburgh and have done a couple of 15/16 milers, a 17 miler, and an almost 20 miler.  The last 3 weeks have been ill/recovering from the flu/virus I had, and have been severely lacking in energy and not capable of putting in the miles that I normally do.

This week I've run 5 days but no run longer than 6.5 miles.  After my last post I had a good intervals session last night and then got out today for a 5k race in Dundee but didn't feel too good afterwards (was hoping I'd feel well enough to get out for more miles after to do a long run).

Can I ask any of you seasoned professionals what you would advise on the long run scenario, as I really wanted to get in a couple more long runs before the marathon.  I hope that next week I'll do a 20 miler, and then normally I would take a 3 week taper.  Should I do another 20 miler the week after, if nothing else for the good of my confidence, and then just taper for 2 weeks?  I just don't know.

In other funny news, I actually won the 5k I was doing today.  3rd overall and 1st female (must be said a very small field, 25-30 competitors so don't get too excited).  And annoyingly it wasn't even a 5k.  Basically the marshalls didn't get to their spots in time, therefore after the first marshall spot, myself and the two guys who were leading didn't have a clear idea of where we were going, missed a loop of the course, got to the finish in around 20 minutes and according to Garmins under 4.5k.  Very disappointing to not see a marshall the whole way round and a sorry race experience but at least I won a prize.image

• Options

Hi Ali, congrats on your win, its a shame it wan't marshalled very well. As for your long run conundrum,I'm in no way a seasoned marathon runner, quite the opposite.

i have two longs runs left before my Taper, 20 miles next Sunday and 18 the following week. This is from a RW training program. Why not try  20 miles next week as planned, then do 18 the following week and if your feel up for it, tack on another 2 miles.

I just had a quick look at the RW plans for Sub 4, Sun 3.45 and Sub 3.30. They all have a 20 next Sunday and an 18 the following. I say, go for it, i will be a big confidence booster, It would be for me anyway.

Hope this helps

On a side note, did my longest run ever last night. 22 miles in 3:14. A bit stiff today and never want to see a treadmill again!!!!

• Options

Fantastic news about your win Ali. Take the glory and forget the missed loop! 

I am getting bogged down trying to find a 6 week 10k training plans. Maybe I should give Hal Higdon a go.

In the first marathon I did (and only having done 2 I speak from very limited experience) I did a 20 miler 2 weeks before the race. I stood at the start line feeling shattered.

Stu - awesome treadmill running well done! 

• Options

Ali: You know what my thoughts are on training plans image 

To me. If you feel like you need another 2 x 20 milers then do them as mentally you may feel more prepared on race day. However that comes with the caveat that if you run the first 20 mile LSR and run it quite comfortably, then do you need to do another, especially 2 weeks before a race? Ultimatley a marathon plan is just a guide, and missing some runs on it wont mean you crash and burn in your marathon.    Re your race. Congrats,and at least it was only a short 5k, and not a 400m short marathon that I took part in in 2012 in Hull. It was the innurgral year for the event, and it was the worst organised race ive ever been in and was my 1st marathon. Their were no mile markers except one at halfway (and I had no garmin at that point), numbers wern't posted out and on the day noone thought to bring safety pins for runners. Then exactly the same thing happened to us on raceday where marshalls sent us the wrong way in a park cutting out a 400m loop. Suprisingly enough the race didn't make a 2nd year.    Stu: Once again, I think you are truly bonkers running those sorts of distances on a treadmill. 1 hour is my treadmill record, and that nearly bored my to tears. Another 2 hours on top of that!!!! No way.   I did my parkrun in 20.01 and then I got in 10 really good miles yesterday at 7.46 pace. Out for 7 miles tonight, and then its the club 5 mile handicap tomorrow.    p.s. Is anyone here on Strava? Ive just got onto it and uploaded all my runs and its quite addictive as its really pervy for stats and graphs. ohh I love a good graph. He he, the segmants thing is quality too.

• Options

Sean I'm a Strava convert too. We can be friends if you search for Rachel Clarke and then I'm the 5th one down on the list in Stratford upon Avon with a photo of my feet (thankfully in running socks!) image