Options

RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• Options

washwood - sounds like you took advantage at the weekend. The big races around the world, but particularly in America are not cheap but they are well worth the effort. I guess it depends what you are looking for. 

I have decided that I will run the 10k race on Saturday but will use it as a training run. Might add a few miles on the end. Will see how the week goes.

• Options

Ali - that was a great race from you at the weekend. Every time I read one of your race reports now I am waiting to hear you say that you bagged another PB. You are on fire. This club running has transformed you and given you massive confidence. AS the others say you need to find a fast HM course and go and bag the PB. Then you will have the clean sweep in a few months. You can then focus on the marathon for next year. Remember the discussion we had about focusing on the shorter stuff this autumn rather than doing a marathon. Bet your glad now that you chose the running club option as it has proved to you what you are capable of. Well done. When it gets tough during the last few miles of Chicago in a few weeks time, I will use your determination to catch the people ahead as my inspiration to keep going.

• Options

Carter - thanks for the advice on the head torch. Once Chicago is out of the way I will look into this. I do enjoy running on the Heath as it is not flat so is a better workout than the roads and footpaths. 

That run of yours at the weekend sounded really tough. Horrible weather but I guess ultra running is a bit different in any case so it would have been good preparation for the big day.

And to keep going even though the energy levels were low is amazing. Must have been a real confidence booster to not giving in to that plus the weather. A few more tough runs and you will be ready.

Sean - amazing 5k PB. You have a habit of pulling these times out of the bag when not expecting it. Clear evidence that the training is going well.

And why did you not put on the afterburners when you saw the bull. T be shown up by a bunch of girls is almost shameful image

PS - did not realise that your boy was away. Had to read back to find out why. 11+ exams this early in the year. Yikes !! Hopefully they went well as must have felt strange for him to come back to sit exams.

Seems that your running is going ok despite the ongoing fun with blisters. Do you think they will have subsided enough by Chicago.

Like you I am 2-3 ibs away from my ideal running weight. Need to cut out the sweet stuff over the next few weeks.

• Options

Carl the worst blister has healed well now I've just got a couple of smaller ones but I'm confident they'll be ok. If nothing else when I'm running and have them taped up then they don't give me any aggravation. Would be good to be rid of them before the final 20 miler this weekend. Am I right in thinking you'll "just" be going up to 16 with your plan? 

Have seen a HM around Central Park in mid December and think I might sign up for that. I did a HM about that time last year and I was pretty rubbish but for the venue I think ill give it a go. Final decision on that to be made after NYC. Lots of talk around registering for Boston at the moment. Will be interesting to see what the actual time is you need to get a place for next year. In theory for me it is 3:50 but apparently you need to be a few minutes under that to actually get in. 

• Options

Robert- yes I agree 10 milers are a good distance!  Just avoids the hell of a HM!

PS- well done on your 17 miler.  The LSRs aren't always pretty but the point is... you did it!  Congrats on losing weight!  Staying off the booze for 11 days is pretty hardcore in my books image

Carter- wowowowowaweewah at your 21 miles.  That's some run and awful conditions.  Great mental strength.  

Sean- fab fab fab 5k time.  I'm sure it wasn't even THAT long ago you were excited at the thought of breaking 20 or am I wrong?!  I have memories of it being not too distant and there you are sub 19 and EASY!

washwood- where is your 10 miler this week?  You must report back.  Your weekend sounds fabulous!

Carl- I already have a HM PB from start of August BUT feel I could get faster still, my HM PB doesn't really compare to my 5k or 10k PB.  So yes, going for it again soon.  Thank you for the race lists.  I love the last entry of a very special wedding.  Looks like a few of us racing this Sunday which is exciting.  How is life for you just now?  The kids back at school and back to routine, hopefully giving you time to breathe and run?

Rest day for me yesterday and I was tired.  Today leggies still feel a wee bit knackered.  However I went to the club session.  It was meant to be 4 or 5 mile repeats, with a 1.5 warm up and cool down sandwiched on either end.

Did the warm up v slowly, then fell in with my 'pack' for the mile reps.  First 3 went 7:06, 7:10, 7:02.  Pretty swift stuff!  I was keeping up and trying to positive split them.  My legs though were feeling pretty trashed after Sunday's race.  There was another lady who felt the same.  So we took a longer recovery after rep 3, and then hung back to run with the pace group just behind us.  So we did a slower 4th mile in 7:50 which I needed, I don't think I could have faced another fast one.

Then the 1.5 cool down back to the clubhouse.  Must say, my legs felt absolutely DONE IN by the end of tonight. 7 miles total.  I enjoyed a hot bath when I got in.

• Options

Ali your mile splits are fantastic! Well done you. 

Just a quick drop in to report to Carl that I had an email re Chicago marathon, then clicked on the link re corral placements and it turns out that I've finally been moved to Corral D from Corral E. So that puts me in with the sub 3:55 runners rather than the sub 4:00. Unfortunately that won't put me with a 3:50 pacer I don't think. Going to need to seriously consider my strategy for race day. 

• Options

PS - that is good news. Just think how many slower runners you will now be ahead of before you start !!! Got to be worth a minute or two at the end. Race day and strategy. I am are Carter will have a few thoughts on that when he next pops in.

Nell's Hanson plan only took him up to a 16mile lsr with another run the day before so always about 24/26 miles over two days.

My spring Hansons plan went up to 18 miles for the lsr.

Before my injury, I was planning on 2 x 20 milers but that plan is now out the window. Going to settle for 2 x 18 milers this weekend and next instead. 

Ali - good running as always. No wonder the legs are tired at that pace. Just think back to the time you could not contemplate running that fast this often. There is no going back now. And of course you got a HM PB. Which distance have you not achieved a PB at this year !! We are just demanding a better HM PB as we know you can do it. Shame not to improve it when all you need to do is turn up at a race and you deliver. 

So Tuesday night is usually an interval night for me but decided that I would not risk the really fast stuff and would settle for a tempo run instead.

Plan was for 2 miles w/u; 2 x 3miles at faster than MP with a mile jog recovery in between, and then 2 miles c/d.

I thought that faster than MP might be a bit ambitious before I started. I also was curious to see if I would be able to lift the pace for the second 3 mile section after jogging for a mile.

It was dark out there tonight and I had forgotten how uneven the outer ring of Regents Park is when you cannot really see the ground.

I felt good during the warm up and eased into the first fast mile. Moved it up a notch during the second fast mile and felt strong during the third mile. I slowed for the jog recovery and really had no idea if I would get the legs moving again.

I was not looking at the watch but running to feel for the three miles and figured that they were pretty even. And they were. And they were fast.

My splits were :

8:18; 8:10

7:35 ; 7:23; 7:19

8:41

7:17; 7:19; 7:22

8:05; 8:33

In total I covered 11.57 miles with an average time of 7:50min/mile.

I have to say I have no idea where that came from and am really pleased. The quads were talking to me during the second lot of fast 3 miles. But after being back in for a few hours everything is fine. No complaints from the back etc. So all is good.

Tomorrow night has to be a rest night as I have some commitments that would mean going out running at 9pm. But a rest is probably a good thing as I ease my way back in gently. At least that is what I told my physio that I was doing.

• Options

Sean – sounds like you’re in cracking shape so we are expecting you to smash your PB, no pressure ! At least there won’t be any cows to slow you down J

Washwood – what breed of dog do you have ? I tried taking one of my springers running with me a couple of years ago and he really enjoyed it. But 2 operations on his cruciate ligaments means he can’t come with me anymore. I didn’t realize you could qualify for a marathon by running a fast half marathon race, you go for it.

PS – are you telling me you’ve not used the bladder at all yet ?? I ran with mine on my long run on Saturday. I can run without food but not without water as I do tend to get quite hot and need to take salt tablets to make sure I don’t dehydrate too much. Well done on the no alcohol for 11 days, it just shows you how bad it is for you if you can lose so much weight in such a short space of time. Are you off alcohol now until after Chicago ?

Carl –nice touch adding the last event to the race list, cheers ! As you say, ultra running is as much, if not more, in the mind as the body. Getting through a tough run like Saturday gives me the confidence when going into the longer races.  A great run from you last night and terrific pace considering your recent injury woes. Cracking news that the back was ok, you are back on track now for your original target I hope. You just need to look after yourself now, not overdo and play catch up and you will get to the start line ready for a new PB.

Ali – how many times have we said this year “great race, another PB” ?? Even better that you have started your new job which is so time consuming and tiring so good on you for keeping your running going to such a high standard. As others have said, you have really benefitted from joining a running club. And how quick were those mile repeats !

• Options

Carl: Good run last night pal. Ive done a few rings of regents Park too and its a solid place to get some good speed and tempo seshs in.

PS: I wouldnt worry about pacers so much. In my experience they are either going to fast then have to slow down to make the face. Or set of to fast and have to slow down to make the pace. I reckon would be to get into a good group of runners and stick with them. Then if they start dropping off find another group and repeat etc. 

Ali: Great training sesh also after all your running exertions. Keep it going.

I had the club 5 mile handicap on the reservior last night. a 2.5 mile out and back. We set off late so it was getting pretty dark on the return lap. Ran it in 6:05, 6:31, 6:30, 6:24, 6:45 avererging 6:24 @ 32:58 time. Great workout and overtook some people in the club I have previously wouldnt get a sniff off. Its coming together really nicely at the moment.

12 miler tonight on the P&D plan. Gonna run it one on one off and get home as quick as I can for the Arsenal game. Hopefully we can do a bit better then the two Manchester teams.

• Options

I decided that yesterday I would practice running on tired legs so a double running day it was. So I parked the car about 7 miles from work and ran in to the office in the morning. Yet another run where it absolutely bucketed it down with rain and going up the final climb I could hardly see with the rain coming in at 90 degrees. Thankfully, the run back to the car was in good weather, in fact it was too hot and I was wearing a base layer. The route back was far more undulating and I ran at quick a decent pace. I certainly felt it in the legs after I had finished and this morning they have that satisfying aching to them. So, Saturday was a tough long run, Monday was hill repeats and yesterday was a double day. Friday I am planning a 25 miler so that will be a good week and get me back on track with my training for RRR50

• Options

Been a busy few days on here!!!! Some good running all clocking up the miles before our races!

PS Wow can't believe Blistergate is still on going fingers crossed it will end soon especially with race days on the horizon.  Well done on clocking another 17 miles and brilliant news on the start for the marathon, Pacers can be overrated and also very congested points in races so overall not disastrous.  Well done on the booze ban and weight loss that'll give you a brill mental edge come race day as well as the benefits of being that extra aerodynamic, I've found myself eating a lot this week but hopefully staying at the same weight with the training.

Carter Saturdays run is very impressive, Many a time I've turned over and gone back to sleep, then to keep on going when they going is tough as Sean commented when things are getting tough you'll have a bank of memories from training to break down any negative barriers.  Can't remember the last time I did a double run day must have been about 5 years ago when I was buzzing young and fit.  Well done great week and if all goes to plan back on track for RRR50.

Sean Man points for a brilliant park run that's a massive pb!!! Hard work undone my wimping out with the cattle... I would have avoided them too unless it was a race and on for a pb I'd then chance my arm.hd8 0qq.

Washwood, I'd love to run with my dog (poor little staffie) he's a bit old now and can only keep up for half a mile then he's done in.  My sis takes her Rottweiler for 10k runs all the time he loves it.  What time do you need to qualify on the half?

Carl, must be feeling better about Chicago couple more weeks decent training, deserve a rest day today! Hope you have a couple on decent long runs planned.

Ali you gave any thought to a marathon next year yet?

After sundays 20 miler had a rest day Monday, Tuesday a spin session followed by a mini 5 mile progression run with 1st and last miles slower. 5 miles in 40 mins  

8.51, 7.38, 7.31, 7.24, 8.40

Today 10 miles alternating 2 miles mp 2 mile hmp.

8.43, 8.49

7.23, 7.43

8.45, 8.39

7.58, 7.41

8.56, 8.35

Total time 1.23.16     8.19miles   faster than my last 10 mile race last year by 30 seconds.  2nd hmp effort was tough with 66ft elevation on the 7th mile.  By the end my legs were starting to tire.

Tomorrow is a rest day if I wake up in time may do a spin class, Friday an interval session 5 miles with 400m at 10k speed with min recovery.  Saturday rest sunday either 20/22 depends what speed I set out if too fast will only do 20.

Love my new garmin 6th run and finds signal within 5 seconds at home, work, park run image have used the Bluetooth to sync with my phone which updates to Strava which I'm slowly getting used to feel free to follow.

• Options

I stuck with the pacers for most of the NJ Marathon - the pace was absolutely dead on and the split incredibly consistent - and found it really helpful hence why I'm keen to do that again at Chicago. You are right though, it will all be much busier this time and so it's a good suggestion to find a group of people to stick with. 

Rob your training seems to be going very smoothly and you're fitting in plenty of cross training too. Are you going to taper for 3 weeks? 

Carter wasn't your second run yesterday faster than your first. How big is the field for RRR50? Are you going to try to eat more when you do this race? You're right I've still not used the bladder. It just feels too alien. I think I need to use it at a time when I'm not actually training for anything so I can get used to it. As it is I've got one 20 miler left and I can stop to fill up my water bottles as I need to.

Carl that was a great tempo session. Hope the back is feeling ok today? So you're going for a two week taper then? Are you going to get any sports massages in before the big day?

8 miles steady this morning. 15-20 sec a mile slower than I did that equivalent run when training for the spring marathon. It was warm out but not unbearable - about 25 degrees. I need to keep reminding myself I have another full bank of pretty injury free marathon training behind me for Chicago and that has to stand me in good stead.

• Options

PS- good stuff on moving corrals.  In all honesty too, see how it is on race day and if you could sneak into where you want to be... I mean even at London when I did it people were jumping fences and dropping in wherever they fancied... some big marathons are really controlled about the whole corral thing, some aren't.  Don't worry too much about comparing your training runs to the ones you did for the last marathon... because for the last marathon, you weren't running in the heat as much... it has a big effect... and when you run your marathons, it hopefully WON'T be as hot, and you will feel the benefit!

Carl- that interval session sounds really tough.  I always find intervals up to a mile are OK... anything longer, so a 2 mile or 3 mile interval, is just killer.  You kept really great pace, well done.

Carter- you must be exhausted!  That's a huge amount of work over not very long, timewise... your legs will be feeling it, I imagine?  You seem well prepared.  What kind of route will your 25 miler be?  Similar to your last long run, which was tough?

Robert- I still haven't decided on the marathon for next year!  Someone at my club mentioned Brighton as a nice, well organised, flat marathon... so maybe I should join him... any ideas on that?!  Smashing 10 miler, especially as a training run... well done you.

I brought my running stuff to work planning to do a little run afterwards, but ended up in work till 18:30 and then decided to just go home and chill out with Mr A.  Tomorrow instead.  My legs could probably do with the recovery anyway.  Hope everyone had a happy hump day image

• Options

PS I'm counting down to the taper.... 11 days to go which gives me a 3 week taper.  

Ali I really enjoyed Brighton, would recommend it.  Will put my race report up shortly for it. 

• Options

Robert - you are counting down to your taper for as marathon a week after mine. And I  am trying not to think of the taper as I need to get a few more quality runs in to build confidence. Running is a funny game ...

What garmin did you get ? Training seems to be just perfect for you so have you started to think about your targets for race day yet ?

PS - despite the heat and other issues you have got some solid training behind you and as you say apart from blister gate you have remained injury free. That will stand you in good stead on race day for sure.

Yes two week taper for me. Not going mad adding trying to catch up on lost miles. Just want to keep it going a little longer. The Hansons plan effectively is a two week taper anyway due to the high mileage you would do so compared to a full blown Hansons plan, I will effectively be on taper.

Not planning any sports massages this time. Do not want anyone interfering with my muscles after getting everything back working following the back scare.

Ali - you have done so much running lately and fast running that you deserve an odd rest day every so often.

I do love a tough interval type session and last night I pushed myself a little bit to see how I would respond. The next run will be the really important one. Can I get out there and nail it or will the legs be heavy and still recovering. 

Today was a day for ducks and geese down here in London. Horrible weather. Glad I was having a rest day image

• Options

Sean – sounds like you are getting quicker all the time, well done for the improvement. Passing people who were previously out of reach must be a great confidence booster. Arsenal…!

Robert – great MP/HMP run. It’s certainly a tough one but I think you will benefit from it in the long run if you keep doing it. Did you find the MP miles relatively easy ?

PS – yes, the second run was faster. Not intentionally I might as I’m currently having some pacing issues and can’t slow myself down. Re eating at my next race, yes the plan is to get more food in me but how successful that will be I guess I will find out on the day. One of the problems doing fasted long runs is that you don’t get to eat on them so can’t train for race day. One of the benefits, though, is that I know I can run for 5/6 hours before even feeling I need any food. Like you say, now is not the time to practice with the bladder. Just go out and nail that last long run. And I agree with Ali about running in the heat, it’s bound to have some sort of effect on you until you acclimatise to it. Wherever and whenever you race a marathon you are always relying on a few factors to go your way if you’re going to smash out a new PB. You have still banked plenty of miles in this training plan so you are definitely in with a chance of a PB.

Ali – the legs were definitely feeling it yesterday, they are today a bit but not as bad so I will go for a gentle little trot at lunchtime. For the 25 miler I’ve decided to run where I haven’t run before. I’ve plotted the route from OS maps and it’s in my watch ready to go. It’s mainly trails but have to go on some roads to join the next trail. Looking at Google earth the trails look mainly grass, compacted soil and gravel so should be runnable. Not sure of the elevation on it but hopefully it won’t be too much for my poor little legs. Brighton marathon is already sold out for next year but they have some extra places that you can apply for in the next few weeks. You need to register by 09/10 so get on their website asap if you’re interested.

Carl – very wise not to play catch up over the next few weeks. Does your plan focus mainly now on speed sessions then ? 

• Options

Tut tut Carter running too fast in training......you're breaking one of your own golden rules! What's the problem? That run you have planned for tomorrow actually sounds quite nice. Do you have a time in mind for completing it or are there too many variables to be able to say? Sounds like the watch is great for those kind of runs.

Carl I'm counting down to the taper. 3 days to go. I've still got 5 runs scheduled for each week although next week I might drop the Saturday one as I'm doing a HM on the Sunday. Haven't you potentially got a race this weekend?

Ali I've heard that Brighton is a great race. Would you fly down for it? BK did it too this year if I remember rightly. We could ask him but he's abandoned us. I hope you're right about the heat affecting my times. I think the HM next weekend will give me the best indication where I am.

Intervals this morning. 12 x 90 sec fast with 90 sec recoveries. Can't say that I went all out on them I was more focussed on just getting them done withough feeling terrible and I did that. Beautiful sunrise over Long Island Sound and another gorgeous hot day ahead  

• Options

PS - I just can't help myself ! I don't do that much speed work so feel like I need to push on a bit but that second run on Tuesday was not the one to be doing it. Difficult to say how long it will take tomorrow without knowing the elevation but I don't think it's massively steep. It also depends on the surface, the Peak District has plenty of rocky trails which can slow you down. That said, I would like to cover the 24 miles in under 5 hours which works out at about 12 min miles. Saturday's run  I averaged 12:30 min miles but that was in rubbish weather on difficult trails. If I'm feeling ok I might tag on an extra couple of miles at the end.

Intervals - i still don't understand why people do intervals when training for a marathon. Interval training for sprinters and long runs when training for a marathon. I think you get more benefit from a decent tempo run. Too much risk of injury when doing intervals in my view. Anyway, well done on your interval session !!  No sunrise over the Peak District due to cloud cover, a rubbish day ahead for us here, summer is over !

5 easy miles for me at lunchtime at a more acceptable average pace of 9:13. It felt nice and easy after running that bit quicker recently.... 

• Options

I think it's to do with improving your running economy and building strength and endurance. Plus it breaks up the monotony of running at one pace. I've never injured myself doing intervals (yet). It would be interesting to train for a marathon without doing any and then see the results as it's so difficult to say whether one type of training is beneficial or not. I've not got enough of a clue about it to be able to judge so I'll carry on following the plan! 

9:13 is slow for you - did you feel like you were practically walking? 

Off to killer Pilates at lunchtime. 

• Options

Found my write up of feelings on the Brighton Marathon it's a bit long, sorry hope it doesn't bore you too much!

In Short

Loved the marathon, real carnival experience, loads of spectators who are awesome.  I would run the event again.

In full

The expo for me deemed a waste of time, you have to go there before race day, on the Saturday was very busy and there were long queues to get into the exhibition hall.  Once there it was full of a lot of tat and events charity stalls which I had no interest in so after a brief wander around I left.

I had previous a hotel/ b&b in Brighton the previous May, 11 months before the race,  1.5 miles from the start and about half mile from the finish and near the Expo for the day before, 2 weeks before the race I got an email from booking.com telling me that they had overbooked the hotel and was putting me in their other hotel in hove 2 miles up the road.  With little availability elsewhere at this late stage I had to take what was on offer.  They tried to give me a standard room about half the price I had previously paid, managed to get it sorted in the end and the b&b was pleasant and not too far from Hove train station which was convenient for race day.
    If you’re looking for some carbs the night before I’d recommend http://www.donatello.co.uk/ Italian restaurant but you’ll need to book in advance.... not bad grub at decent price, great for carb loading. 

I was on my feet all day the day before walking to and from and around the expo got back to the hotel by 9pm and my legs were knackered, started to dread how I was gonna feel in the morning.

Race day!!!

Woke up and felt great, my legs felt fresh and my hamstrings that had been a bit tight in previous days felt good I was buzzing and couldn’t wait to start.  Went for breakfast stuck to cereal and wholemeal toast and coffee washed down with some Lucozade, Towards the end of Breakfast the nerves were getting to me, I was beating myself up about going sub 4.  Having not done any previous races for 6 months, and my last 2 marathons 12 and 11 months before were 4.49 and 4.34 I walked a lot of them I really didn't know if I really could do it especially as I had only achieved 4 training runs between 16-18 miles.

Got a train from Hove to Preston Park and got to the start with more than an hour to spare.  The queue for the loos was huge 20-30 mins and did my normal go, then queue up again straight after.  Dropped my bag off which only had water and clothes I was ready to chuck if didn’t have the time to drop at baggage drop and headed to my pen.

Start to - mile6  8.55, 8.38, 8.36, 8.45, 8.29, 8.41 (10k 54.35)

I had mum her partner and elle positioned in miles 14, 17.5 and 19 armed with water, Lucozade and energy gels started off with a 300m bottle of water as it was cups of water and hadn’t used them in race before.  Headed to the red pen where it was for people with sub 3.45 predicted time (not me),  Garmin took a while to load but got there in the end, set off around Preston Park, start bunched up but can’t really get any speed together as its up hill for the 1st half mile not too steep, nerves got the better of me as felt like I needed a wee, pulled over into a bush and either got stage fright or it was a false alarm so hopped back into the race.  You run past the Royal Pavilion twice which is quite memorable also I ran past the pub where I was meeting a few after the race, wishing it was that time already.  There are a couple of small climbs whilst in and about the town nothing too serious. 

• Options

Mile 6-12 8.32, 8.27, 8.41, 8.26, 8.39, 8.32  
    Turning left out of town you’re greeted by spectators near the sea front,  thins out quickly and then a gradual climb upto Rottingdean after the climb another out and back run round a village before heading back down to Brighton at mile 11/12  my favourite part of the race I was buzzing felt great was up high and running back downhill had some superb views of Brighton beach and you can see the hustle and bustle of crowds of spectators ahead, at about mile 12 I passed the mods with all their motorbikes and their minis great carnival experience loads of noise and colour everywhere.  Was pleased with my pacing at this point to started to level out at 8.30 pacing and felt really good but knew my lack in training would prove to haunt me later in the race. Took my 1st gel at mile 11 and took one every 25/30 mins from then till mile 23.

Mile 13-20 8.29, 8.29, 8.38, 8.46, 8.55, 9.20, 9.12
    Hit the half way point in 1.53 (another good thing is you don’t see the finish line if you’re looking ahead) started to believe the sub 4 was on the cards I was feeling really good, didn't want the bubble to burst althou given my lack of long distance training I knew deep down it would happen sooner rather than later would carry on at the pace I could manage.  The crowds were amazing maybe too good with loads of loud music playing at the half/ finish point, had to stay focused not get carried away as still a long way to go in the race, mile 14-18 away from the seafront another out and back loop around high streets and a residential area the crowds were brilliant all around this bit everyone had come out to watch real carnival of running, Elle and mum were at mile 14 (then again at 17 on the other side)  I took a couple of gels from them each time and energy drink the 1st time and water the 2nd my mind started wandering and started to slow at mile 16 -17 and was really starting to feel tired but still tried to dig deep knowing that I had a long way to go… started to think if I can get myself to mile mile 20 in 2.52-2.55 gives me 11 mins a mile to break the 4 hour mark.  At mlle 16 I needed a number 2, ran for another mile to the next portaloos just before seeing Elle and mum again  went to duck in one of the three portaloos along the road but all were being used so sucked it up and carried on... grabbed more water and gels from Elle/ mum and carried on, think I had 5 gels in my hands at this point but knew I may need them later or if I didn't.  Miles 18-20 was back along the front in Hove, crowds were thin at this point, Mum had made her way to mile 19 and didn’t expect me to come round so fast (not my pace she didn’t realise I wasn’t that far away) I was low on water and could have done with another bottle but didn’t want to stop as knew it could have been lethal as I may not have been able to get back into a rhythm so chucked her a wave and a smile and carried on.

Miles 20-23 9.35,10.14, 10.32,

I reached the mile 20 in 2hrs 55 mins!.  I hadn’t stopped at all I was still running I was tiring and slowing down but 2hrs 55 mins! I knew 10.30 min miles would get me to the finish line for 4 hours I felt okay I knew I could plod along smiling to myself sticking two fingers upto my mind telling me I wasn’t going to do it just over an hour and the training I have put in will all be worth it.  Mile 20-23 was the hardest part of the course another out and back, no support whatsoever out to the fishing yard the smell was gut wrenching at times too.  As you went out at mile 20 on the other side of the road (mile 23) there was the Saucony video stand and a man on a mic, telling people this is the hardest part o

• Options

hardest part of the race many runners hit the wall blah blah blah… just what you need when you’re tired.  At the turn around point I felt a twinge in my calf so stopped at the water station and gave my calf a stretch then carried on cautiously.  Was really looking forward to getting back to mile 23 as Elle had recorded a video message at the Exbo the day before and they would play yours at Mile 23 on a big screen…. I got to mile 23 and blank screen… can’t say I was too upset as was on the home straight and still running.

Miles 23-25

Arrived at mile 23 3hr 27 massive smile on my face, I’m going to do it, sun is out and loads of support on the final straight, I’m still running slowly, it hurts but I know the sub 4 is in my grasp what could go wrong??? Running along and felt another twinge in my calf, I knew what it was and I didn’t like it.  I slowed down and the cramping subsided, few seconds later and it strikes again, I pull over to stretch it out pain fades and off I go again, despite the pause for a stretch I ran the 24th mile in 10.32.  Still on course for the sub 4, really regretting not taking on more water now, was this the reason for the cramping or was it the lack of training I didn’t care I knew I had to dig deep to finish.  Carried on grimacing through every step was a step closer.  Just before mile 24 cramped up again walked and stretched it as best as I could but it just wouldn’t go away another half mile further down the cramp had really knotted I knew I was in trouble and couldn’t take another step, I stopped and stretched out by a bench found a bottle of Powerade on the floor and gulped some down me, on the front there were crowds of people along the promenade shouting words of encouragement whilst I was swearing my head off in agony.  I hobbled a few steps then found a rhythm, I was off, I was going to finish I was still on for a sub 4 maybe one very short stop left but I was laughing to myself this is going to be amazing!!!!

Mile 25-finish

Made it to mile 25 marker with 12 and half mins left for sub 4 I tried to forget about the cramp but it got the better of me, I started to walk again a spectator shouted ‘don’t walk you’ll be disappointed if you don’t break 4 hours you’re nearly there’ wow how did this person know how close I was to the sub 4? I started running again, I can still do it I saw elle, mum and her partner 1000m from the finish they were holding out gels I managed to stutter ‘water’ grabbed a bottle to throw down my neck made it another 100m before cramp had hit for the last time, at this point I had half a mile to go and just over 4 mins left for the sub 4, I felt beaten it was slipping away, I wasn’t going to give up now, Made it to mile marker 26 with about 100 seconds on the watch and I was running full pelt I could feel the knotting with every step, I felt my feet starting to curl up with cramp in my shoes I had to give everything this is what I have trained for this is what I’ve wanted to do for years, If I don’t empty the tank now I’ll regret it, what if I don’t run another marathon, this is it, this is my race head down and keep on going and I passed the finish line.

The finish

A few seconds after passing the finish line I looked at my watch it was still running 4.00.09 I knew I started the watch a few seconds before crossing the start line and I knew I had passed the finish line a few seconds before glancing at the watch, deep down I knew my time was either between 4 hours 1 second and 4 hours and 3 seconds.  I felt sad, few tears came down my face knowing I hadn’t done enough, I went to collect my medal trying to gather my thoughts, m

• Options

maybe I have still done it? There’s still a possibility that I have snuck under 4 hours, why did I try that wee in mile 1? I lost over 30 seconds there, few seconds less stretching I’d have done it for sure?  I felt beaten.  The times I’d visualised it in spin classes on the final sprint in the class really pushing it and finishing under 4 hours.

The official time came through 4.00.02 I was a broken man, After the upset, disappointment and heatbreak I realized and celebrated the fact I had ran the longest distance (without stopping) for over 4 years, it was only cramp that forced me to stop, I had ran my 5th ever marathon and got a nice shiny new pb by over 13 minutes.  I now have to recover and start again next marathon in 7 weeks Kent Roadrunner.

• Options

Carl went for the forerunner 220 like it, works well for me, and got the hrm strap but not used it yet.  Plan is 3.50 even split.

carter found miles 5 and 6 real slow and easy after 4 and 5 at faster than hmp found miles 9 and 10 tougher as was starting to tire but really enjoyed it and agree with you on the interval idea it risks injury. Plenty to time to focus on them in the winter months for me when I try to sort my short game.

• Options

Robert - will need to go and grab a cup of tea before I read that novel. Must have been touch to get so close to the 4 hour mark but knowing that you gave it your all and left everything on the dance floor should ahem made you proud as not only did you get a PB you did what many in your situation would not have done. You dug really deep and stuck at it and did not give up. Real motivation for you to nail it this time round.

Carter - you have certainly planned to put yourself through the mill this week. Really impressed that you find a running route, put it in your watch and off you go. The run you did last weekend was tough and was probably still in your legs when you did your double so no wonder the legs are talking to you.

There must be a reason why all marathon plans have interval training over short distances. Surely all these impressive people who have been very successful running marathon cannot have got it wrong ....

And yes my plan during the week is to focus on tempo runs and interval style tempo runs like I did the other night. Long run at the weekend. And then one or two short runs slotted in. 

PS - I have a 'race' this weekend but am not going to race it. It is a 10k trail race on Hampstead Heath. It would be a tough race in any case. I will run it at training pace and tag miles on before (3) and after(9) to make up a total of 18 miles.

Well done on your interval session. Overall I think your training has gone well and your HM will give you a good indication as you say.

Tonight I planned 10 miles with 6 at or about MP. My notional MP was 7:40 - 7:45.

In the end I ended up doing 11 miles as I planned to cut through one section of Regents Park but when I had completed the first loop and was on the second the chap was ahead of me closing he gates. Meant I had to go on for longer. Was fun running down the tree lined avenue and hardly been able to make out anything much more than 5 feet away.

My 6 MP miles were as follows :

7:37 ; 7:37 ; 7:36 ; 7:35 ; 7:36 ; 7:36

Pretty even splits and a little faster than planned so that is good. Pleased that I was able to do this so soon after Tuesdays hard session. So far so good.

• Options

Robert- thanks for the race report, really enjoyed seeing it... Heartbreakingly close to 4 hours!  Sadly Carter has told me it has sold out for next year, I can't believe how quick these races sell out... you have to plan so far in advance!!!

Carter- thanks for informing me about Brighton...back to the drawing board... your 25 miler sounds good though you can't always trust Google!  How fast will you do that?

PS- still getting hot weather, lucky duck.  Good interval run, that's a toughie!  RE: Carter's comment I have always done intervals (but long intervals, not like 200s or anything like that) during marathon training, I guess I've never really thought why, they're just normally on my plan...

Carl- great running, ever so consistent just now!  Good luck for your 10k.

Last night I got out for a quick 3.2 miles and some gym work.  Not a lot, and missed my club session as it was bucketing it down and did not fancy 1 hour plus in the pouring rain.

Today I had planned a mid distance run after work but have chucked it.  I am running tomorrow, then the Linlithgow 10k on Sunday, so will still have had a good week's running.  Just too tired, new job is still leaving feeling pretty knackered come the end of each week!

My 10k on Sunday is a pretty hilly one so I'm not aiming for a near PB time.  However my last 10k (and current PB) was 45:47 so I'm thinking that around the 47 minute mark would be a reasonable aim for this one.  Say I got under 47:30 I'd still be delighted.  I'll keep you all updated. image

• Options

Ali, see if there is a mailing list I know Brighton released more spots last year also would a charity place be an option usually looking at raising about £500? Its a super event just sells out quickly image plenty of other marathons out there, are you in the ballot for London? Nothing wrong with a few days rest here and there you deserve it, Keep your legs fresh for Sunday image

Carl, I really hope that I'm nowhere near 4 hours in 5 weeks time, but I have loads of confidence with a bank of training I wish the race was is a couple of week instead of 5!!!  Seems your back on track training going well... good luck with the training run/ race / run at the weekend, I was close to entering Peterborough hm the week before Abingdon but can't trust myself not to race it.

The short fast interval stuff..... I prefer not to do it as I'm more likely to get injured than if I do an alternating run, All training programs seem to contain intervals and as you said carl must be for a reason, will it improve runners generally give you an extra dimension? maybe the pain/ discomfort from them you can draw on in races? For me I have found it irritates my ITB so tend to avoid them however after the marathon will try to focus on them.

Planned an 8 mile run before work, got to the train station and train was cancelled, the next one was late, still planned 5 miles and arrived to Stevenage and the heavens opened so binned off the run.  Made it out at lunch for 5.2 miles @ 8.20.  Nothing tomorrow, 20/22 on Sunday for me.

Hope all that are racing this weekend have good ones.... good luck on your 25 miles Carter!  

• Options
    My preparation for my 10k in the morning is spending the night at Twickenham. Not sure I would find this in the guide to running races
  • Options

Sounds like great preparation Carl - an evening of relaxation and fun! Just try to lay off (too much) beer.You're not as young as Sean.

Rob - what a brilliant report. I cannot imagine how you must have felt getting so close to the 4 hour mark. It's just too cruel. You can take a lot from how you picked yourself back up and got on with it. The detail of your loo stops really made me laugh. I love a good bit of loo talk! 

Ali you need to get some rest in before your race on Sunday so I think it's a good call not to run today. I don't think many people feel like running on a Friday night after a full week never mind being in a new job. That's still an ambitious time target for a tough race but you seem to be hammering out great race times at the moment so I'm sure you'll do it.

I'm sticking with my faith in my intervals image. Still no drinking here and I could have sworn I spotted some abs this morning which after 4 children and with my advanced age (have to say that before Carter does) I'm pretty pleased about image. Unfortunately blistergate on the other foot continues. The new tape is useless and the dressing slipped when I was out yesterday. So off to the pharmacy later to investigate new tape. If all else fails I'm going to hold it on with KT tape for my long run on Sunday. Decided to go for the Grand Central run with a few others again and am actually really looking forward to it!

• Options

Robert, great race report and sounds quite similar to my first marathon experience ... I didnt get cramp but the same as you it all started to fall apart at mile 22 for me, I ran up to that point then had to have a few walks. Determination took over and I managed a quickish trot down the mall ...   Hoping my next one will be an improvement ... image

For me I  ALWAYS do 1 pace improvement a week, I do it with club so its mixed up from week to week, might be mile reps, 1000m reps or a pyramid session. 

So I have a 10mile race tomorrow..... not feeling it, there is an incline for alot of the first 3 miles but its the same stretch in reverse for the last 3 miles so that will be something to look forward to. Im really not feeling very confident and am just tempte to use it as a training run for Oxford half ... its a county Champ race so I  know the top runners will be out and pushing the pace, that said I am getting better at running my own race and not getting dragged along too quickly, rather usiing faster runners to pace and push me sensibly .

Happy running everyone image