Options

RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• Options

Nell!!!!!! Welcome back. Have missed you! image Sorry to hear work has been so rubbish. It's not good when it distracts from the running. 

Popping on mainly to say good luck to Ali with her HM tomorrow. With your form so far this year Ali, I'm not ruling out a PB for you at all. 

Rob what a Great park run PB from you today too. You're hitting great form just at the right time for Abingdon.

Carter how is Mrs C doing? 

Washwood I have a 3 week gap between Chicago and NY so I'll let you know what it's like doing 2 close together. I can't think of anyone in the group who has done that apart from Nell who did London and Edinburgh but I think that was about 5 weeks apart wasn't it? 

Sean how's the ankle?

Did 4 miles easy this morning. It was pretty wild and windy out there - we did have a hurricane heading this way but fortunately it has veered out to sea at the last minute. Decided not to look at my watch and just run on feel to see if that would give me an indication of where my MP should be. Ended up at 8:33 average per mile. So I'm feeling 8:45/8:50 is realistic. 

8 miles to do in the morning. 

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Best of luck to both Ali and Nell at the GSR today.

Nell - great to have you back on here. Guessed you were mad busy but good despite that that you have managed to keep ticking over. A bit of decent training over the winter and your speed will come back.

washwood - well done to you for getting a spot in VLM. And your plan to stick with Manchester as your A race is probably a smart move. Getting a spot 2 years ion a row in amazing considering the amount of competition there was this year.

Sean - how this the ankle now that you have rested it a little ?

PS - what is the weather meant to be like for next weekend ? Good running from you at the moment and looks like you have settled on your plan for race day. Exciting now that it is only a week away.

Carter - how is Mrs C doing ? Have you got everything under control ? Have you been able to get any running in ?

Robert - what a fantastic PB at your park run. Looks like you are in top form and that your training has peaked just at the right time. 

Something gone horribly wrong at your club this season.

Ali - great pacing job for your friend. 

I am out later for a 4 - 6 mile trot around Hampstead Heath. Nothing too quick. Have got all my runs in this week so pleased with where things are at. 

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Hope those racing today got what they were looking for and are broadly content.

And that those trying to get in some training have managed something.

I was later going out today than planned and was a little tired having got how from the rugby quite late last night.

So quickly decided that it would only be 4 miles as no point in pushing it and was really not up for it.

One week to go.

Have just been looking back at my Richmond Park splits from earlier this year. I ran the first 16 miles at an average of 7:50 min/mile - but not constant pace at all - and finished with an 8:09 min/mile average overall. This means that in the last 10 miles I was giving back about 50 secs per mile. 

I think I have settled on a plan for the race and will let you know closer to race day what it is. 

All about ticking over now, getting plenty of rest and getting ready for the trip to the other side of the pond on Friday.

• Options

Hope those North of the border did well, if the weather was like how it was down here would have been close to perfect.

Carl sensible to choose little rather than too much at this late stage... hope you're set for the trip over.  Glad I'm not a big fan of egg chasing... couldn't cope with Chelsea and Englands results but still disappointing didnt get to watch it as coming back from Stamford Bridge.

2 weeks now to Abingdon, and feeling in great form, training has gone to plan been researching the course reading loads of reviews on RW and MT doesn't seem to be too many bad reviews found a youtube video with footage of the course that and dropping in on google maps giving me good idea of the course, a double loop miles 5-14 and 14-23 along river for part and industrial estate for most of it and a running track finish. Going to stay over on the Sat night so will take a drive round the course the day before.

Washwood/ PS I am also doing 2 marathons 20 days apart so PS let me know how it goes.... I did Brighton and Kent Roadrunner 7 weeks apart this year, found it tough as my longest run for Brighton was only 18 miles and did this 4 weeks before Brighton... did a couple of runs a week between the two but most were between 5-10 miles long and faded at mile 18 again.

Today 13.3 miles pretty much evenly paced at 9 min miles the last 3 days running has been magic as I mentioned before don't think I could have dreamt it to have been any better just need to get to the race start line fit, well and refreshed.

Carter hope Mrs C is recovering and the house is still in one piece, Sean hope the ankle went well this weekend.  Down to cornwall tomorrow for a couple of days then a massage booked for Thurs, couple of short runs wed and fri then 10 miles sunday hope everyone had a good weekend

• Options

Nell – good to hear from you again. Sounds like you’ve been rather busy so well done for keeping the running ticking over. How did you get on in the HM ? Mrs C has had her gallbladder removed. Not quite straight forward as she lost a lot of blood so had to be kept in. She is home now but feeling very weak still. Plenty of rest and then slowly get back into things. The house is actually like a well-oiled machine ! GFA, yes, fairly confident I could get under 3:15 if I trained for it. However, my priority next year is the South Downs Way 100 in June so an all-out attempt on a spring marathon probably wouldn’t do me any favours. I will probably wait until next Autumn to have a crack at it now.

Washwood – I would sooner be running the roads than a house ! I think your plan for next year sounds very sensible.

Robert – no bell is necessary for Mrs C as I am on hand all the time at the moment ! A cracking new PB at the weekend for you, I think it shows you that this current training plain is working very well for you so obviously we are now expecting a PB at Abingdon too ! Chelsea – oh dear !

PS – Mrs C is not too bad ta, just being a pain in the arse as she is not the best patient. So, only a week to go. How are you feeling ? Have you settled on your race strategy ? Just seen you have decided on 8:45/8:50 pace.

Carl – everything is under control here. Nothing has gone wrong yet and nothing will !! No running for me in the last week. Hopefully that will be a good thing as I just tick over now for the next couple of weeks. I’m looking forward to hearing what your race strategy is going to be. When do you fly out ? Is it just Mrs Carl going with you or the kids as well ?

• Options

Morning everyone

Great to hear you're feeling in such great form Rob.The Abingdon course doesn't sound very scenic but it's supposed to be very fast. What pace are you going to go for?

Carl I was thinking that you are going to be jet lagged in just the right way for this race. Your body will naturally be waking you up at 5am anyway. Where are you staying? I'm at the Thompson Chicago which looks like it is close to the Museum of Contemporary Art. Are you going to the expo on Saturday? I'm flying in Saturday morning and think will probably head straight to get my number then spend the afternoon lazing around at the hotel.

Carter yes decided on 8:45/8:50 pace. There's plenty of time to go for the 8:35 pace in the spring (not that I'll be doing one then of course.....). Are you working at home while Mrs C is laid up.

Ali and Nell I need some race reports please.

So I'm heading to pilates this morning. Did 8 miles yesterday morning with 3 men form a local running group I've joined. I've run with them a couple of times before on the 20 milers to Grand Central. It felt that there were quite a few hills. Average pace 8:15 per mile. My legs are tired today and I'm panicking rather that I've overdone it. Even been debating skipping pilates in favour of Starbucks but I have my kit on so I'll just not push it and most of it is core work rather than legs. Then while Helena is at preschool I am going to sit and do nothing.Got a massage booked for Thursday.

• Options

PS - working from home today and tomorrow then will probably go back to work on Wednesday for a rest. Stay calm, you know all the hard graft has already been done. There is nothing wrong with a bit of intensity this week but, as you know, don't overdo it. Personally, I would give everything a miss this week except a couple of short runs. Get plenty of rest and stop twisting your body into unnatural positions at this pilates class ! Have you had a massage so close to race day before ?

• Options

Yes I have and this will be a gentle rub down rather than a full sports massage. Having said that I might see if I can move the massage to sooner rather than later to see if it can help loosen up my hip/glute/lower back which are niggling. If not it's just ice and the grid roller. 

Did my pilates but took it easy and really concentrated on the stretches. Feeling better for it. 

• Options

Hello All some good running reports from this weekend. Looking forward to seeing Alis Scottish run post when she gets a chance to do it. 

I got out for a couple of runs this weekend and ankle seemed to hold up fine. Just the 8 miles on Sunday as I kept it sensible. Just felt a bit slugglish that was all, but im sure that was just tiredness as i've been working pretty hard lately much like Nell.    Fell session at the club tomorrow night which includes a game of 'catch the scarecrow'. I literally cannot wait. I am a simple man to please. lol.
  • Options

Hello all

Sorry I haven’t got online for ages – this past weekend was swallowed up by the eldest’s 6th birthday. Carnage as I’m sure you can all imagine!

Lots of races about to happen which is exciting, they’ve come round quickly!

There is a lot of taperdom flying around the forum right now ;o)

I’m gonna say all my good lucks now as I’m off climbing in North Wales Fri – Sun this week so won’t be able to check back here till Monday. BEST OF LUCK to all racing – I believe it’s traditional to say in this forum at this stage ‘don’t be shit’ (blame Carter if I got that one wrong)!! Seriously though I’m expecting great things and will be thinking of you all from the side of a welsh cliff!

Rob: in the taper for Abingdon! Bet that’s a RELIEF! Great parkrun there, shows you are totally on form…. 3’50 seems a very sensible target, go for it, am crossing everything for you – 8’45 pace sounds good – don’t do what I did at Edinburgh and run the first half in 1’46 only to blow up big time in the last 10k!! Finsbury Park ‘a flat course’ – someone is having a laugh! That’s my parkrun (when I’m doing them) and it has a bit of a monster hill and a couple of long steady ups… definitely not flat at all! Well done indeed to Mrs R for going the extra mile and nailing it and on such a tough 10k course..

PS: HM race, great effort – well done on taking it easy… and love that medal!! Can’t believe this Sunday is Chicago marathon already! I’m sure you’ll do brilliantly – your training has looked so so strong on strava, just remember that when the going gets tough and dig in.. What pace are you targeting? I would put the Boston QF time out of your head, don’t think it will help you whilst running Chicago… REALLY GOOD LUCK FOR SUNDAY

Carl: thanks – yes feel like am on good form at the moment. You look to be going really well, must fill you with confidence for Chicago on Sunday? Your training mileage is as ever so impressive, I know you are going to smash Richmond time. Just remember how hilly that was any time it feels tough in Chicago. Can’t wait to hear how you go but I’m sure you’ll do a great time. BEST OF LUCK MATE

Carter: Really glad to hear Mrs C is ok following the op. How are you, ready for your ultra wk after next??

Washwood: 1’33 for 12.1 miles – speedy as! Great racing, you shld be targeting 1’38 for sure this weekend at Oxford – have a great race and best of luck,. Oh and well done on the VLM place you jammy get ;o) London is a great race if you’re not chasing a time!!

Sean: Best of luck to you too mate racing Royal parks. Is the ankle ok now?? Avoid the congestion at the start and I’m sure you’ll be on for a great time – it’s a pretty flat course and some stunning scenery as well, most enjoyable

Ali: you are doing a lot of racing! It’s good, looks to be having a big benefit with that 10k time, excellent work.. how was your half yesterday?

Hi Nell! Good to hear from you! Hope you’re well…

So I had a pretty decent wk last wk on the running front with my 2 runs. Did 13.4 miles last Monday @ ave 8’42 pace – took it easy generally but pushed hard up the big hills as my HM race is hilly. And then Thursday went out fairly quick to see what sort of 5k time I could do on the track. Surpised myself by clocking 20'53 and unofficially knocking about 40 secs off my 5k pb. Was hungover as well, not sure what lessons to learn from that to be honest?! So all good basically. Am going to do 12 miles tonight but v easy ie 9 min mile+ pace an

• Options

and then am due 9 miles at faster than HM pace on Wednesday so going easy tonight to protect Wednesday’s run. And that’s basically it until Great West Run on Sun 18 Oct.. happy running all and good luck again to the racers this weekend

• Options

Hi PS, So how you feeling for Chicago?

Yes, you are right I had a 5 week gap in between London and Edinburgh. But as I was informed on my massage by my physio after London I tanned the arse out of my left foot, running London! So I was not quite ready to run Edinburgh as hard.

Hi Washwood, If I could lend some advice on the two marathoner. Decide an A race. I would go for the first one as you will be at your best for that. I think both are tremendously supported ?

Hi Carl, Easy week this week? When do you fly over and is it a family trip? How has the Hansons plan been going?

Hi Rob, You are right, the weather has been perfect up here for running also. Although I sense a change soon....

Hi Carter, Sorry to hear about Mrs C, but hopefully everything is ok now? with you in charge I'm sure all will be ok. 100 milers now...wowza!

Hi Sean, Catch the scarecrow...enlighten us?

Hi Will, I'm good thanks. Great news on the 5k. Sounds as though things are ticking over nicely for you?

Glasgow was ran yesterday.

After realising that my wave was due to start imminently I had to jump over into the pen and work my way forward.
    I wasn't really expecting much as training this summer has not been the best. The LR's have suffered, so stamina was going to be the one here.
    I decided to try and keep to 6:40. If I couldn't I wasn't going to lose much sleep.

I always hate the first 5 miles of a HM, takes me about that time to just get used to things. I kind of had mixed feelings running Glasgow. Although I have watched it on the TV, I have never ran it. So was constantly trying to read the course.

Anyway, I got to the last mile. Up until this I had really been just watching my pace, which I had kept under 6:40 except for one mile at 6:41, so thought I was doing ok. I had a look at the time and thought I would be just over my PB time, which I thought was ok.
    Anyway just ran the last mile and big push at the end....Official time 1:25:41, which is dead on my Alloa PB time 1:25:41, how about that for spooky?

• Options

PS- getting exciting for you now, can't wait to see how you get on in this big ole marathon...  Enjoy your massages but don't push the cross training now we're so close

Carl- glad you've settled on race plan.  Looking forward to hearing.

Robert- you sound in good form.  Here's hoping for a PB in Abingdon.  It's meant to be a brilliant fast one isn't it.

Carter- glad Mrs C still has the energy to be a pain in the arse, that's a good sign!

Sean- lol at catch the scarecrow.  As far as I'm aware scarecrows aren't too speedy so you should be good.

Will- how was your adventure?  Hope you had fun.  Hungover running can sometimes work image

Nell- I do envy you for making it all seem so easy- great running and a great time.  Well done.  On reflection- how did you enjoy Glasgow?  I genuinely think it's a great route as it is so varied.  Takes in city, suburbia, green/leafy, waterside.  Can't beat it.

My race report coming up...

• Options

I went off to the GSR feeling that if I hadn't had entered it a while ago, I wouldn't be doing it.... haven't spoke too much about it here but work has been very stressful, I'm tutoring as well to earn extra money, and I'm generally exhausted and anxiety ridden just now.

However, it WAS entered ages ago so I thought I'd better go and do it.  Got to the start feeling OK though the stomach slightly dodgy as seems to be the case in all races just now (still).  Although I didn't really think I was on PB form I was aiming for under 1:50.  Was told strictly by one of the coaches at the club to start slower (8:30 min/miles) for the first few, especially as the first mile is up a giant big hill.

So took off up the big hill, kept it slow and steady, first mile clocked in at 8:28.  Lots of encouragement in the city centre.  Next 3 miles take you through the city centre and out over a big bridge.  Pretty undulating especially up and over the bridge as it climbs over a stretch of motorway.  Lots of tooting cars to us runners.  Miles 1-4 were all about 8:20-8:30.  I would say that it was my coach's instructions in my head but actually I was feeling pretty lacking in energy and this was all I really had.

I was reminded why I don't really love big city races as I spent sooooo much time weaving in and out of people.  Big mass participation events do attract a lot of people who don't do much racing and it was evident as mile 1.5 onwards there were people walking, in the middle of the road.

Mile 5 and you're approaching Pollok Park, a beautiful country park in the south of the city.  Around here I saw a friend I didn't know was out on the course, it gave me a little lift.  I was feeling shit and my stomach was making me think I'd need to stop for the loo, so every little encouragement was helping take my mind off things.  I was determined not to stop.  I decided over the next few miles that despite feeling not great, I really had to pick the pace up or risk being disappointed in my finishing time.  I settled into just over 8 minute miles and tried to keep it steady.  Through the park for a couple of miles, quite hilly here but with some good long flat stretches in between the ups and downs.

Then out of Pollok, onto the roads, and into another park called Bellahouston.  A mile or so round here, pretty flat, and by this time I had fallen in with a man who had been running behind me the last couple of miles.  We took turns in front of each other but he was a good pace and it was really him that was keeping me going rather than the other way round.  I call him 'Yellow Man' due to his yellow t shirt.  Yellow man and I had been running together from about mile 6- mile 10, just out of Bella park.  I saw another friend here from my hometown out cheering on the course.  From 4-10 all my miles had been roughly between 8:00 and 8:20, depending on hills.  I knew now that I was going to do a time I was OK with, however for the last few miles I simply chose not to look at the Garmin.  I just wanted to get done.

I was feeling exhausted but at the same time I'm quite good mentally at preparing myself when it's only a few miles to go.  I started counting down lamposts/trees/anything just to pass the time.  I saw loads more people I know out on the course.  It was lifting my spirits.  The last few miles are mercifully flat, and you can really enjoy the big wide streets going back into the city and lots of support.

I left yellow man only in the last couple of miles and pushed on to the finish.  As the finish line became reality I gave it all I had, really all I had.  To the point where I crossed the line and needed to lean on the barriers at the side.  1:48:15 a

• Options

1:48:15 and 13.3 miles on the Garmin.  All that winding in and out.

PB by about 20 seconds.  I don't deserve more- I really haven't done enough long training runs.  I'm good over shorter stuff but my HM PB really should be a lot lower.  There were people racing yesterday who I've beaten regularly over 5ks/10ks recently who ran as quick as 1:43/1:44.  But that's my fault, not theirs.  However I'm delighted to have a new PB- I'll keep chipping it down bit by bit!

• Options

2 final notes:

I was on the BBC coverage (a couple of people wrote/messaged me on facebook to say they saw me) spitting elegantly at the side of the road...fame!

AND

I looked up Yellow Man's time and despite me pipping him in the last mile his chip time was 7 seconds quicker than mine.  DAMMIT. 

• Options

Hi Ali, Great report. I think you were in the same place as me with the training and if I hadn't put my name down a while ago probably would not have missed running it. But, it seems we were both wrong and got more out of it than we thought we would.

Yes, I kind of enjoyed Glasgow. I think because I hadn't ran it before, I was having to think and read the course and that did take away some of the enjoyment. The crowd were great as they always are in Glasgow.

I will run it again, and I think I will get more out of it a second time.

Well done Ali, and remember it is your race that counts, no-one else's... Miss competitive, that's what club running does to you image...lol!

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Wow. Such a busy day on here.

Shocking weather down south and looks like will be much the same tomorrow.

Ali - great PB considering the busy life you ahem at the moment. There is no doubt that this club running thing has a lot to do with this. And Nell is right. You have become very competitive with it.

Nell - What a great run from you. And how spooky that it was the exact same time as Alloa. Clearly the 'rest' over the last few months has done you a world of good.

Carter - great to hear that everything is under control and that Mrs C is keeping you on your toes. Only Mrs D travelling with me as the kids are at school. Never gone away and left them alone since they arrived so going to be an interesting experience for all.

PS - I am flying Friday and land around 1pm. So am planning to go to the Expo Friday and get it out of the way. Am staying in the Courtyard Marriott on the Magnificent Mile. Got a great deal when I booked it months ago.

Will - good running from you and reckon you are as ready as can be for your GWR.

Sean - great that the ankle seems to have held up. Would not be concerned about being sluggish. In no time you will be flying around like a gazelle as normal.

Robert - great 13 mile run from you. Sounds like you are where you want to be and just need to nurse yourself to the start line. Am expecting a great new PB on the day. Everyone I know who has run Abingdon has only good things to say about it and last year loads of people got new PB's.

Those of you who were on here a year ago will remember that I went through some hell at work.

As well as keeping the training going over the last two months, I have also been sorting myself out a new job and today I had the pleasure of telling my boss that I am off.

Starting the new job mid November. I work in the construction industry on big projects and having been fortunate to work near home for many years, I am taking a job that will mean I am way during the week. It is a really good job and am looking forward to it but like all things in life it will bring with it a whole new set of challenges.

So far everyone at home is on board with this but obviously closer to the time it will become real.

• Options

Great pb ali, massive congrats. We all need a 'yellow man' in our racing lives!! Haven't been on my little adventure yet, this coming weekend... The wife is delighted...

nell, that is very weird! Well done on equalling your pb off limited training, very impressive!

big change carl. Sometimes you just have to grasp the nettle right? Bet it will be the best decision you could have made..

so did my 12 miles at 9'05 pace tonight in the dark and rain (carl, the old railway track really not fun without head torch!). given this shld be an easier run for me rather disconcertingly it felt harder than I was expecting! i hardly exerted myself in terms of breathing except on the ups but the legs felt really heavy... I think me and Monday night running just don't get on.. I didn't eat a snack either pre race mind you, I usually have an energy bar around 5 ish at work but didn't bother today, did feel like I was running a bit hungry... Hmmm. Just see how the last key run this Wednesday goes now. 

• Options

11/10 Chicago Marathon – PS, Carl

11/10 Royal Parks HM – Sean

11/10 Oxford HM – washwood

17/10 RRR 50 - Carter

18/10 Abingdon Marathon – Robert

18/10 Great West Run HM - Will

24/10 Snowdonia Marathon - Sean

25/10 Candleford Canter 10k – washwood

01/11 New York Marathon – PS

07/11 Thames Meander Marathon - Robert

22/11 Clowne HM - Carter

29/11 Benidorm HM – washwood

13/12 Andy Reading 10k - washwood

19/03 Hardmoors 55 - Carter

03/14 Paris Marathon – Carl 

10/04 Manchester Marathon - washwood

17/04 Brighton Marathon - Will

24/04 London Marathon - Mrs R

28/5 Kent Roadrunner marathon - Rob

11/06 South Downs Way 100 - Carter

19/08 Mr & Mrs C – Wedding 

• Options

PS – not long to go now !

Sean – there always seems plenty of scarecrows around whenever I’ve passed through Leeds, or maybe that’s just the fashion up there.

Will – I think I’m ready despite not having run for a week now. The legs feel well rested and I’ve got some decent long runs in in the last few weeks. Would like to have done a bit more but I am where I am so will just have to get on with it. Sounds like you are in decent form at the moment so no doubt you will be having a crack at a PB in your HM ?

Nell – excellent pacing at Glasgow, I assume you were trying to get the same time as at Alloa ??

Ali – of course you deserve your PB. You don’t just turn up to a race and given a PB, you have to work damned hard to achieve one. If you  want to knock a decent chunk off your time why don’t you train specifically for one ? I bet people will be asking you for your autograph now that you are famous ! I like the fact that you are now getting more competitive, I think that will help you get the results you want.

Carl – congratulations on the new job. Looking at it purely from your point of view working away from home during the week might mean it is easier to get some quality runs in !! I’m sure you will enjoy the experience. Good luck with it and hope you enjoy it

• Options

Hi Carl, Is that a year since you had the job hassle? Wow, time flies.... well done on the new job, hopefully it will all work out well. How has Hansons gone, you have been sticking to it?

Hi Will, Well done on the 12 miles. I guess the dark, rain and being later in the day without any fuel didn't do you any good. Just write it off and move forward. You have all week to get yourself ready for the weekend.

Hi Carter, Pardon my ignorance. I have been away too long. What is the fifty you are running? No didn't plan on going for the same time as Alloa. I was a bit rushed when I set off after mixing up the time start. So had to just jump over the pen, struggle forward a bit and thought I would aim for 6:40 pace and see where that led me. Didn't think I would get near 1:25 to be honest!

Hi Ali, Sorry forgot to add on the last post. It's never easy! image

5 easy miles Yesterday and today from me...

• Options

Nell - you ignorance is pardoned !! Round Rotherham 50 in a weeks time. It's not the most exciting route as it passes through the outskirts of Sheffield and goes close by, and on occasions through, some industrial areas. Rotherham isn't exactly a green and pleasant land either. I did the St Cuthberts Way ultra in June which was 'only' 47 miles and this RRR50 is more for psychological reasons as I really want to get a 50 done by the end of the year. It is also a pre-requisite for the SDW100 that you have completed a 50 miler in the last 2 years so the sooner I can get that done the better.

• Options

Not long to go at all now indeed! Did 4 easy miles this morning and then had my sports massage. Back/glute/hip feels much easier now so it did the trick. All that's left now is 2 miles easy on Thursday and then a small 26.2 on Sunday. I just really need some sleep. 

Carl if you're around Saturday/Sunday and want to say a quick hello then let me know. Would be lovely to meet the long suffering Mrs D. Fantastic news on the new job. You deserve it after having such an awful time. Where will the new job be based? Does Mrs D work too? I often find life is easier when Mr PS is away as I can just get on with looking after the children etc without having to think of another person/mouth to feed but I'm sure Mrs D will miss you terribly image.

Will 12 miles run in those conditions is pretty impressive. I don't know how you motivate yourself after a day in the office to get out there.

Nell I can't believe your time was exactly the same to the second - that is incredible. You couldn't do that again if you tried! Was the GSR course harder than Alloa?

Ali he might have been 7 seconds faster but he was wearing a yellow tshirt. So you will win on style points.

Weather forecast for Sunday starting to look rather warm - 23 degrees. With the early start though we should be ok for at least the first couple of hours temperature wise. Now having outfit dilemmas - off to raid Mr PS's wardrobe (or "closet") for some layers for the start line.

• Options

Hi Carter, Yes I see where you are coming from. If you can stay focused running 50 miles around industrial locations it will make you stronger.

Have you read the book by James Adams, Running and stuff? Very good, you would love it. he is a guy that runs for Serpentine and just got into ultras by mistake. His first big one was the Birmingham to London canal run, 145 miles and it went from there...

Hi PS, Yes, as you know the most important thing this week is rest. Don't get too hung up on it though. As long as you get a good nights sleep through the week you will be fully charged. Change the bed sheets to help give you a good sleep and maybe grab a bath before bedtime (go on a hot one then!image) It is no good saying rest through the day as we know with families that just don't happen.

Yes, I am still trying to work out how I managed to get the same time, exactly. I didn't feel as strong as Alloa, but there you go. I was just trying for the best time.

Is Glasgow harder than Alloa? Not sure, I would say they are probably equally matched overall. Alloa has a nasty hill at mile 11 and at the start is a bit undulating. Glasgow has St.Vincent street's hill at the start and is undulating I would say throughout up until the last few miles (correct me Ali if you disagree) I will get my anorak on later and compare splits from both.image

• Options

Nell- glad you enjoyed Glasgow (ish).  I know I'm competitive but I think it's a good thing mostly, I latch onto people and 'race' them which helps me with my own time.. all for my own good in the end.  In terms of difficulty I personally think that Glasgow is tougher than Alloa, more ups and downs I feel, and more twists and turns.  But not too much in it really.  So I think you should be very proud of your Glasgow time.  I personally did 2 minutes quicker at Glasgow than my Alloa record (2 years ago) but I have come on a lot since then in general so it's not really too reflective.

Carl- congrats on the new job.  You had a tough time earlier this year and deserve success.  Sorry to hear you'll be working away but you'll just have to see how it goes.  Mrs Carl might be a bit shocked at first without you but I daresay there'll be perks image  Do you mind me asking how far away from London you'll be during the week?

Carter- re: training specifically for a HM... I'm sure I will do at some point... just now I'm struggling to get the miles in due to work busy-ness.  However this has been fine for me focusing on quality not quantity, and I have, as you know, managed PBs over short distances by quite a whack.  So got to take the circumstances I can deal with just now, and enjoy these shorter distances.

PS- what time does the marathon start?  I have rather enjoyed balmier runs in the past, I think as long as you're in the right frame of mind and are well hydrated you can do just fine.

No running from me since Sunday, but will be back out tomorrow after work.

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Ali - just read back your race report. Really good report and excellent controlled race considering you were thinking you were not up for it.

The new job is based about 100 miles west of London, between Cheltenham and Gloucester but due to the nature of the job I will not be there every day every week.

It will be a change for all of us but being honest I was no longer enjoying the job i was doing so I needed a move. This is the type of role I wanted and the choice was stay in London doing something I did not want to be doing any more or get on with things. I chose the latter and will just have to work things out with Mrs D and the kids so that it works for all of us. Many people do this and everyone finds a way to make it work.

Carter - I am sure you are right re running. I will need to get to know w new location, find some decent running routes and get stuck in. As you say it will mean that I focus on quality running during the week as coming home and going out running will not be looked on kindly I am guessing ....

Nell - I did not strictly follow the Hansons plan this time, more used it as a general guide. I reduced my running to 5 days a week rather than the 6 in the plan and reduced the mileage slightly. I was also only training for 12 weeks rather than the 16 in the Spring.

But i did follow the structure of the plan as I like the types of runs / intervals / tempos that it does. Seems to suit me too.

Did 8 miles tonight. Will only run a single run of 4 miles either tomorrow but more likely Thursday. Travel on Friday and a 3 mile amble on Saturday morning.

My 8 miles was 2 miles w/u. 4 miles at 7:45 m/m pace and 2 miles c/d. Everything seems to be ok. Right knee was a little stiff when I started but eased out after 2-3 miles. 

PS - noticed that the forecast seemed to be improving. As we start at 7.30/8.00 in the morning I cannot imagine it will be that warm that early. I was thinking that i would need an old sweater to keep me warm at the start.

Message me with your mobile / contact details as we most definitely must meet. Maybe on the Saturday depending if you have enough time after flying in and getting to the Expo. You are only about 10 blocks away at the north end of North Michigan Avenue. I am staying in the Courtyard Marriott on East Ontario Street. 

• Options

PS - make sure you run fast enough so that you have finished by the time the hotter weather arrives ! Or you could just run with your bladder so you have a plentiful source of water image

Nell - no I haven't read that book. I have so many running books, and loads on the list waiting to read, that Mrs C is starting to think I am getting obsessed with this running malarkey !

Ali - as we have said many times, you have to deal with the circumstances of life and work and manage your running around that. You certainly seem to be doing an excellent job of that at the moment so you keep at it.

Carl - I enjoy running in new places. I would be pouring over maps for hours to try and find various routes of differing lengths, elevation and terrain etc. Or just go out and explore, that can also be fun. When will you be divulging your race strategy to us, we are all eagerly awaiting. 

Well, I did something yesterday that I haven't done in ages, I went out for a run ! Just a few miles while Mrs C was resting. The legs felt good to start with but quickly became quite sluggish due to the recent bout of inactivity. I'm sure after a couple of more runs they will soon be feeling ok again. I'm back at work in the office today for the first time since the op. I should be able to get some rest here compared to how things have been at home recently. The patient is doing quite well now but it's going to be a very slow process getting back to normal. Not much pain but still quite uncomfortable for her but at least she isn't overdoing things. Time for me to start preparing for next weeks RRR50; all being well, Mrs C will be ok to be left on her own for a few hours but, of course, if she isn't then I will be giving it a miss.

So, its PS and Carl running Chicago on Sunday, Washwood has the Oxford HM and Sean is running the Royal Parks HM, a busy weekend ahead....

• Options

carter; you've definitely got decent mileage in your legs so you shld be confident. Guess it's kind of hard to predict how an ultra will go regardless of training done?! Not sure re having a crack at the PB. GWR half is somewhere between 600 to 800 ft ascent so a pb course it ain't! I'd like to put in a good showing and be around 1'42 mark if possible (1'40'10 is my pb). But who knows, if it's going well on the day and I'm feeling good I will go for it in the last 3 miles perhaps. just don't want to go out too fast and blow up.. good work on yesterday's run by the way

Nell; yes you're right, sometimes you just have to accept a run as a bad job and mentally put it in the shredder!

PS; hope you're getting plenty of sleep? 23c is pretty warm but hopefully not the end of the world. is it humid out there or not? not long now...

Carl; how you feeling? raring to go?

Did my last run this lunchtime before the GWR half in 11 days time. Pressure was on as it really felt like the key run I had to get right and happily feel like I did. Was aiming for 7'20 - 7'25 pace but legs felt heavy after first 2 miles so adjusted my target to 7'20 - 7'29 pace which think was a good on the go change. Anyway ended up doing 9.3 miles @ 7'24 pace which for me is pretty darn good going! So feeling pretty confident for the race on Sun 18 Oct. Still don't think it will be a PB effort due to the amount of ascent but happy to be going well at least generally speaking...

• Options

Carter well done on looking after Mrs C as others said you've got plenty of miles banked in the legs so the 50 next week you'll be alright on the night, by how you've described the race not sure which is duller that weekend mine or yours.

PS look like we're going for the same pace 8.45 to go Sub 3.50... glad you moved the massage a couple of days earlier best to be on the safe side.

Will I wrote to the womens running race organisers and said they may want to change the description, they seemed to think it was flat.  Think they may have mainly tarmac and flat confused. 

Nell well done on equalling your pb, especially as you wasn't really expecting it, shame you didn't dip a second under to get the pb.  I remember back when I was a swimmer I did a PB by 0.2 of a second for 1500m (60 lengths of a 25m) and was delighted.

Ali top running thought you may have had a pb in your legs have you recovered yet?  Be interesting to see how you'd go with some half training.  Defo sub 1.45 on the cards soon.

Carl congrats on the new job! going to be some tough but interesting and hopefully rewarding times ahead hope everything goes well for you and family.  .

Was down cornwall monday night for a funeral tuesday, came back last night so no running for me.  Got out this evening for a sluggish 4 miles just needed to stretch the legs and work off the cornish cream tea I had yesterday... thankfully they had ran out of pasties so didn't get one this time round.

Massage booked in tomorrow right ITB is a little tight and my calfs need a bit of attention other than that 8 miles Fri (middle 6 mp) 10 slow miles Sunday then some gentle 3-6 miles runs in the week leading to marathon.

Good luck to those racing this weekend, PS and Carl hope Chicago weather is good to you, get the race done early then cool down with a beer.  Any idea if we can live track the event on the results service?

Washwood good luck with Oxford half, whats the course like? looks quite interesting on the course map.

Sean would love to get a chance to do Royal Parks always forget about it until its too late.  

We've all put the training in so when its tough we know we can rely on that!