Options

RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• Options

Jeez Louise this tapering malarkey is boring!! I have another week of this image 

10 miles tomorrow and then a couple of sessions next week and then it is the big day.

Ricky - Good luck tomorrow it is going to be a huge double achievement for you; a great finishing time and surviving a weekend in stab city! That is two medals you deserve image I await your report with great anticipation. Enjoy it.

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Oirish - had been wondering where you were. Was hoping that you had not gone for one of your infamous runs image

• Options

Best of luck tomorrow Ricky! Have a good one. Don't go off too fast. 

• Options

Andrew - 4 runs a week is fine for a 10km

• Options

Arrived safely at Expo at about 3.30pm .... Limerick is buzzing with mayday weekend with loads of city centre markets, live music etc. great atmosphere... Billy Connolly is in town too for a free concert on Monday night.

lovely sunny anoon and saw 16 deg - quite windy though image

just back from a great Italian restaurant and am topped up on pasta & gelato... Great views over River Shannon from hotel room as I type.

Weather has closed in now and sky is grey with a steady drizzle - still feckin windy though! (Oops startin to talk like a local already)

strange chip timing system - chip is attaced to back of race no.? Hope my number doesn't come off! (I've only ever used the shoe lace type chip)

goody bag - decent tech tshirt, a Gillette razor?!, granola bar, pen, sports drink tablet, almond & oat cereal, discount vouchers and the usual plethora of leaflets. Usual tat really. Also a little 'programme' type booklet for the event which is a nice touch.

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Ricky - fab that you are settled. Get as much rest as you can tonight and do not stress if you do not sleep through the whole night. The adrenaline will get you round tomorrow. The race chip on the race number is becoming the norm now. Paris had this and I know a few others have moved that way too.

As Spoons says, don't go off too fast. With only about 1000 runners in the full marathon event, you will not suffer the crowding effect that you get at most of the bog events over here.

The secret will be getting to 20 miles in good shape. Then you can go for it.

Best of luck. We are all rooting for you to nail that PB.

And just found this on the race website .....

Limerick man and previous winner of the Boston and Dublin marathons Neil Cusack will fire the gun to officially start this years Barringtons Hospital Great Limerick Run Marathon race. Following a blessing of all participants by Fr. Tom Mangan P.P. St Josephs Church, and a 1 minute silence in memory of those killed and injured in the Boston Marathon bombings Neil will set over 1,000 runners on their 26.2 mile journey around Limerick City & County at 9.00am from the historic Georgian Pery Square.

So enjoy the day and bring home the bacon. image

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

6 mile run from me today with 3 miles at near race pace. Legs were feeling quite heavy at the outset and I had to push very hard to get my pace miles going. There is no doubt that all this speed stuff is hard work.

But a decent effort all the same. 3 pace miles at 7:05, 7:01 and 7:03. Overall 7:38 min/mile average. Cadence on pace miles was 93 steps/min/foot.

Am thinking that my second 10k (late June) will probably be my PB attempt as i am not sure I will have cracked this in time for London at the end of this month. I could not have done anymore pace miles today.

Also found that I had not taken on enough fluid during the day. I guess you need to be more hydrated when racing  short distances and I am still adjusting after the long cold winter where I did not need as much as it would appear I need now.

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Stab city ? Sounds lovely !

Good to have you back Oirish, hope things are ok with you. 

Carl - do you feel that you can get quicker with a few more weeks of training ? Have you fully recovered from Paris yet do you think ?

Ricky - has modern technology reached stab city yet do we can track you at tomorrow's race ?

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Rest day for me today after my 1.2 and 1.5 miles this week image

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

And rest day for Harvey too, of course image

• Options

Good sign of things to come for your 10k(s) Carl ... If u can build that 3 mile pace towards sustaining for twice that distance you are on for 43 something which would be amazing!

Yes I read the bit about Neil Cusack - nice touch & will be a poignant start to the race with Boston in our thoughts.

Well it's 10.30pm and we,ve only just got two very excited bambinos off to sleep! Just waiting for the sleep to deepen so I can sneak MOTD on.

Off to check the weather forecast in the meantime.... Again ....

• Options

Riverfest on in Limerick so plenty going on ... just hope tithe same cant be said for stabbings!

tracking Carter?! U must be jokin...good wifi in the hotel though so u will have to await my report with bated breath! Race starts 9am so will get u all a quick update after 1pm (hopefully!)

• Options

limerick has dawned sunny & windy - the odd shower is forecast!

Pre-race breakfast consumed and off to 'suit up' for going into battle image

Gettin a bit anxious now!

• Options

Go for it Ricky! We expect you back on at 1pmimage

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    carterusm wrote (see)

Stab city ? Sounds lovely !

Carter - when I was growing up Limerick was not the lively city that it is today (or has been in recent years). There were no ring roads and all the traffic had to go through the centre, it was grim, there was little industry left and the only thing that seemed to happen was stabbings. They made the news on a regular basis and hence the nickname. It has stuck eventhough the place has been cleaned up, had loads of investment and all that.

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Ricky should be nearly through 5k by now. That will keep him on track to report back at 1pm image

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    carterusm wrote (see)

Carl - do you feel that you can get quicker with a few more weeks of training ? Have you fully recovered from Paris yet do you think ?

Carter - Not sure about getting quicker for this 10k. Maybe the next one. I could not have done another mile, let alone half a mile at that pace yesterday. So over the next two weeks, I need to build on this to make sure I can hold something around this pace for longer.

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

In Nottingham there is a place called St. Ann's. If you came across it on a map you might think it sounds like a lovely village. A couple of years ago it had the highest rate of gun crime in Europe. 

I think I will pop out later for a little trot in the park, about 1.8 miles should do the trick. 

Enjoy the lovely weather everyone

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Stay strong Ricky. image

Going for an 8 mile trot a little later. Lovely day here too.

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Ricky - off out for my trot now. Hopefully it has gone as you hoped today.

• Options
    Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi Carl, No best not sprint it eh? We are crossing then I am going to the marathon and you are coming to the 10k's...

I too have found the transistion hard. Attbhe beginning I was not holding back enough and even now I am going in to week 14 of the 16 week plan I still have to keep an eye on the garmin and pull myself back on the long runs. I have started going out on a Wednesday morning with a pal who is just getting back in to running and that works well for my midweek slow/ recovery run. He is beating himself up at what he thinks are woeful times, but I am reassuring him he is really helping me...lol!

• Options
    Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi Guys, I have a question, if anyone can help please?

When you are all training for your marathons, do you run a route with or without elevation?

Up until now I have been running a varied route with hills ascending and descending and some flat stretches, but mainly either up or down. Last week I found things not a struggle but probably felt it a bit more of a challenge than recently. That was my 21 mile run. I was not sure whether it was also a culmination of the training in general. I have also been trying to get to the gym a couple of times a week and perform some strengthening exercises to make sure I keep the ITB problems at bay.

I decided this week to take things a bit easier through the week. Did my runs in the week but cut down on the conditioning exercises and my 20 mile run yesterday consited of 4.5 miles generally down hill and then ran 12 miles along the canal (so flat) and then the 4.5 miles which was then mainly uphilll. I felt better than the week before, legs ached a bit in bed but this morning I seem pretty fine.

The Edinburgh Marathon is pretty flat, and now I will be going into tapering I think I will keep my two long runs left on relatively flat runs. Not sure whether last week was just a culmination of the training over the weeks or maybe just giving myself too much of a challenge on the long route....

Any thoughts advice would be very welcome...

• Options

Carl, great work on the race time miles, what are you looking for in your 10k? I'm hoping to get mine down from 45.12 to under 43 at first then eventually as close to sub 40 as possible

ricky, looking forward to hearing how it went today good luck!

im just home from my half today with a shiny new PB!  Ran 1:39:45 really had to push hard towards the end to get under 1:40 but two weeks after VLM I'm not gonna complain! image

• Options

Sorry for delay - shower, food etc.

quick update - very warm & windy. Ran 3:47 with 5min positive split so detonated a bit in 2nd half. Heat was a big factor for me.

full report later . ..

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Ricky - great result all the same. Looking forward to the full report. Just back in from my 8.5 mile trot. Am a little hot !!!!

• Options

Well done Ricky, 5 min positive split still sounds pretty good to me!

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Great effort Ricky, well done mate 

• Options

Well done Ricky, that's a great effort, we all look forward to the forensics later. Congratulations

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

So, I've just taken to the streets rather than the park to assess how things are. I managed 1.86 miles @ 10:18. No pain so all is good so far. Previously, the knee pain would kick in between 2 and 2.5 miles so in my next couple of runs I will be running that far so will see how things are then. It's lovely to be running in some nice weather at last

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

While we are waiting for the forensic report. 8.5 miles today which is thnil ingest run since the marathon. First two miles had an elevation gain of 300 + feet. Felt not too bad when I reached the summit. First mile was about 8:30 and the second was about 9:10. Them settled into 8 min milling for the next 3 miles. Next 2 miles were meant to be close to race pace so covered them in 7:16 dead for both. Mile 8 was circa 8:20. Overall 7:59 Min/mile. 

So 4 runs this week with about 25 miles covered. 

Feel much more positive after today as have struggled with the pace miles Up to today. Tomorrow is a rest day and am looking forward to giving the legs a break.