Options

RW Forum Six – Sub 3.30

Comments

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

That's not good Sean, I'm afraid you might be held up...last year my colleague entered and put down 5 hours, and he was in pen 9 red start.  He beat me in a February half with a time of 1:36  but could only manage 4:30 on the day Vs my 3:40. But he was ducking and diving all the way, I would go steady and just be patient.  I think you get a lot of congestion after Tower Bridge too, when you come off the Highway through into Docklands, tiny tiny streets.

• Options
    I did my first marathon as London in 2011, and whilst compared to now I had no idea how to race it, I definitely wasted a lot of energy darting around people. I had said I'd do4 hours since i had done a 2 hour half in the autumn before (my first mistake), but even so, there were still lots of people around who were much slower than me. Looking at my race splits, my miles were mile 1: 9:31, mile 2: 9:12, mile 3: 9:07, mile 4: 9:28... Doesn't take long for them to get slower and slower as I got cramp in my calf very early on in the race. My point is, I got carried away moving with the crowd but also overwhelmed by how big the crowd was and trying to get ahead to find some space... Only problem is there wasn't any!!! From mile 1 to mile 26 it was just constant crowdedness! I'd used up all my energy at the start going too fast and weaving. My app said I did 26.9 miles and it was 4hrs 38....

I hope that its not too bad for you but perhaps if it seems futile, just tell yourself to enjoy the day! It is amazing to be part of the London marathon, but perhaps try a smaller race for your pb that fits with your potential...
  • Options
    AndyAAndyA ✭✭✭

Hi Angela,

Yes, I have a little boy, he will be five in June. The schools are one of the reasons we were thinking of Colchester, also we could probably get a four bedroom place for what we would get for our current three bedrom one (or just a little bit more). Thanks for the offer - we're still mulling over the options at the moment and I suspect we'll stay either in our current place or the general area (however many links to nice looking places on RightMove my wife sends me) but if we do decide on moving up your way I'll certainly let you know.

• Options
    Angela Isherwood 2 wrote (see)
    Ugh I've just endured David watching Newcastle- maybe he and Chris should be our food preparers at TR24- sure they'd get onimage

Thanks Mr. P sorry Mrs P is sick... I've been having a bit of vino tonight- I think I should cut it out after my last 20 miler... But I'll be bored in taper madness and it'll be getting warm again.

I really want to go for a new pb in my half mara on Sunday rather than run marathon pace- but it looks like its gonna be a warm one...

Haha, chris has already made his excuses to not have to go to TR24...he says that he doesnt like camping, but I dont think he has ever tried it to comment, hes just too much use to his home luxeries, like a bed and central heating! He wasnt at all happy last night with the result. Do you think David will come?

Im regretting saying that I wont have a drink for three weeks...I was dying for one yesterday and tonight im going to the pub with my parents...its going to be tough sticking to the pop, but only another week to go!image

• Options
    Mr Puffy wrote (see)
    Mrs p is a seasoned runner she knows the score!

I won't be racing but I will make an effort I think. Assuming its not raining, then I'll just stay in.

I was going to run to the solicitors today to drop some documents of but it was raining so I drove instead with my clothes for the gym....im what my dad would call a wimp, but I didnt want to risk getting wet and then cold and reducing my immunity...honest. In the end by the time I got back from the solicitors it had stopped raining so I went for a run by the river, in the opposote direction to usual and really enjoyed it (minus the dog that scared me half to death). Hope Mrs P is feeling better soon and you have a controlled race tomorrow.

• Options
    AndyAAndyA ✭✭✭

Hi Angela,

I meant to add good luck on Sunday!

• Options
    Hilly wrote (see)

Hi Sarah, yes I plan on doing all 4 of the road league races this year and the Penistone course is just a little distance from where I live so can jog there. image  The last time I did them was in 2007!  I thought they would be a good way to help me regain fitness, the only thing is I do have to watch my rivals shoot off up the road, which isn't always easy. image  But it will be fun clawing my way back.  Not too sure I'll be anywhere near a long way ahead of you at any of them to tell the truth.  You're running really well!  I need a good 6 weeks of consistent training to feel confident of pushing it, just happy to be running properly again at present.  I guess you will have to run a bit easier next week with London only days away?

Hi Hilly, I know how hard it is just to watch others run of in front, I experienced it in East Hull 20 (even though it was part of the plan to do the first half slow). The others in my club shot off and I really wanted to keep up with them but I managed to stick to the plan. I was so worried about them finishing infront of me, when normally its the other way round. In the end I passed them all again in the second half, but I was in a panic, and thats when I was fit and was planning on going slow. It must be so hard for you with it being out of your control. You will get your fitness back though and be the one running off leaving them in your shadow again im sure.

I will look out for you next wednesday then. Which club do you run for again? My plan will be to run the first and last mile slow and the middle three at MP (although I will double check with Minni first). Most schedules say to do 4 miles but im sure 5 will be ok as i will only probably be running mon and wed next week. The course sounds nice next week...it sounds like it should be flat, but im guessing otherwise if its out that wayimage

• Options
    Minni wrote (see)
    Oh dear a sorry result for Newcastle. 

Hilly - yes please make Sarah slow down if you see her next week!

I really admire your determination to get back to fitness Hilly. I often fear that if I lost it now I wouldn't (mentally or physically) get it back.

I had a unhappy husband last night!

Haha, I promise to hold back, dont worry, im planning on starting at the back to help and I will make sure that I have my watch fully working before we set off.

You seem like a fighter Minni, im sure you would fight for your fitness back if the worse happended.

• Options
    Malcs wrote (see)

You're continuing to worry me. Yes I did run today - just a little 3 mile jog but I was at 8:30 pace, way faster than yours. Was I gong too fast?

I'm in full panic now. My current worry is fuelling. I decided to go with jelly babies early on in this campaign because I'm not great with the gels. However, I read today that you need to get about 60g of carbs per hour. That's 10-12 JB's! Over the race I'd have to scoff 35 or more of the little fellas. I only had 4 an hour in training but I guess I'll need to up that when running at MP?

I was talking with some of the peeps on the Paris thread and one of the said that sweets are not the ideal source of carbs as they contain a lot of other awful stuff. Now I'm wondering if I need to use some gels as well - nothing like sorting these things out at the last minute eh? image

Are you doing your 10 miles tomorrow or at the weekend? Did I read right, are you on holiday now until after VLM?

Angela - interesting that magic mile. I'm now trying to work back from 8mm to see what ridiculous speed I'd have to achieve over a mile to be worthy. I daren't do the maths image 

I only ran really slow yesterday due to the race the day before so dont panic. I hadnt even planned to run yesterday but due to me doing my weights I thought a short recovery run would be ideal. I ran a bit quicker today. I did 6.5 today and will be doing 8-10 on sunday. How about you?

With me im having something to eat every 2 miles....drip feed as Ruth called it. The shot blocks can be a litte chewy and it seemed easier to have a small amount often than a large amount at one go. Every 8th mile I will be having 2 jelly babies instead. So in theory you could do the same - 2 jelly babies every 2 miles or 1 a mile....your probably going to hate the little things by the end though. Alternative is to try something else on your 10 miler this weekend. Was there anything else that you have tried that was marginally ok?

What did you work the mile out as???

Glad that your managing to stay optomisitc about the house. I have been ringing round the estate agents today asking for an update...im on edge now...but its taking my mind off VLM!

Someone had told me the same about it being a 20 mile warm up and then a 6 mile race...I think its spot on.

• Options
    SeanAlexMartin wrote (see)

Hi all,

I have found out that I am in Red Start, Pen 9 in London (4:45 to 5:00 expectation)

Not entirely sure what the hell has happened. 

What does this mean for my time potential? image 

SeanAlexMartin wrote (see)

Would it be completely crazy to wait at the back and try to let the massive masses move ahead and avoid the worst of it?

Thats what I was going to suggest...let everyone go, wait ten mins and then set off!

I was in pen 5 last year (red start). I can remember alot of people getting in my way but despite that I managed about 8:30 min mls for the first mile and I didnt do much over the 26.2 miles so I couldnt have been weaving too much. It was frustrating though and I do recall running for about 3 minutes and then hitting a bottle neck were I had to walk, but that soon passed. Try to stay optamistic, if you do the first half a lot slower than planned you will have so much more energy for the second half which you will probably end up doing much quicker than planned (when it thins out a bit) so overall your time will even out. By the last 5 miles the number of runners around me seemed to thin out a fair bit 

• Options

Hi (again) angela...do you think you will be able to stick at MP for your half at the weekend? It will be so hard, but it will pay off not only physically but mentallly too, good luck

• Options

Training Diary for Forum 6 sub 3:30 (VLM)

Week 15 (day 102) aim; 6 miles easy

The plan was to run into town and back to drop some things of at the solicitors. However when I got up it was raining so I drove into town instead (via the hospital to drop chris off) and I planned to go to the gym instead. By the time I was on my way to the gym it had stopped raining so I ventured out instead. I was glad that I did as I really enjoyed being outside, the air seemed to fresh.

There was one incidence with a dog which nearly made me change my mind however. I was at mile 4-5 when I ran past a large dog and owner. He had it on a lead but it was a long one. As I ran past the dog (as the owner quickly shortened its lead), the dog jumped towards me barking and snapping at me...I was petrified and jumped out of the way. After that every dog I ran past spooked me including the little yorkshire terrier that ran towards me. I was so worried about pulling something as it did make me jump so much, but luckily my legs feel ok.

mile splits

1 9.00 min/mls

2 8:41 min/mls

3 8:31 min/mls

4 8:40 min/mls

5 8:45 min/mls

6 8:24 min/mls

6.5 8:30 min/mls

average pace 8:40 min mls

• Options
    Hi Andy, thanks for the luck! And look forward to your wife beating you down and u moving to Colchesterimage if ur son is 5 u have plenty of time to move here for the schools- bear in mind the kids at the boys grammar school have to wear purple blazers!!! Something that'll lead to teasing if they get a school bus with kids from some of the other nearby schools.. There is a private primary school nearby that has a berret as part of the uniform image

Hi Sarah, I don't think David will come- he works closer to Colchester, and by the time he gets home from work, the 4 hour drive to Derby would be a bit much- so much easier getting the train from London straight after work for me.

I really can't decide on pacing now. Part of me thinks that I should just go and do a proper half marathon- try and get 1:55 and really pound out the stress of the day- been feeling pretty crappy today remembering this time last year. Also I paid for the race and I think I'm in a 1:55 start pen...

Marathon pace is sensible, but it is still a month until my marathon, so I think I can recover... Especially with a week of holiday. If its really hot I'll take it easy/mara pace... Hmm, this is a developed world problem isn't it...
  • Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Mr P - eek, I knew pen 9 would make a difference but that's quite shocking. Sean, looks like a fence hop may be worth considering. 

Sarah - Phewph - thanks for the reassurance. Rest today for me then 8-10 tomorrow morning.

I have some gels I used last year that I got on fine with in training but on the day it felt like they might be causing my nausea. Possibly could be down to not taking enough water later on. 

Good idea about having a test run. That's what I'll do tomorrow then. I'll mix in a couple of gels alongside jelly babies every mile and see what that does to me. 

Have you worked out what your total carb intake will be with your shot blocks and JB's? 6 JB's would be 36g and 7 shot blocks would be 56g. So 92g in total.

If I do one JB per mile up to mile 25 thats 25x6 = 150g. One of the Paris thread guys calculated that an average male would need about 175g. That leaves I think 125g in the tank to prevent the body from detecting it's near empty and slowing you down. I could throw in a caffeine gel at 18 miles say to make up the difference.

Sorry to go on about it but I can't believe how panicky and on edge I am. I have been cool as a cucumber for weeks and with 10 days to go I've suddenly gone mad. 

How are you feeling? You sound very composed which is good.

The magic mile would have to be 6:10 for an 8mm marathon. I could just about manage that if I picked a mile with no hills (or preferably downhillimage). I reckon you'd be comfortably faster than that.

Went back on Right Move today and we have a viewing already so here we go again...

Angela - forgot to say, best of luck. Looks like it's going to be warm. Will that be a good or bad thing for you?

Re. pace, I would agree that you could go and race it unless of course Minni says otherwise in which case I completely agree with herimage

• Options
    Hi Malcs, I'm still trying to learn how much the temperature affects my running. Both my marathons have been on unseasonably warm days, and I always put my suffering in the race, namely cramp, down to the temp. I've run a 5k pb on a sunny July evening in the city, and the previous 5k pb was on a sunny summer morning in Richmond park hungover. But my best 10k was on a cool rainy day- I think it was a best because half the people didn't show up to run it, so there was less congestion on the course.

Another part of me wants to test proper racing in the heat to see how it is, certainly my muscles work much much better when it's warm. But even last Sunday when I don't think it was too hot, I had salty deposits on my skin after my 20 miler.

How about this... Pace the first 3 miles at marathon pace, so I can learn control amongst the other i runners...then take it up to half mara race.... Nah, I don't wanna compromise that much.

Your taper madness sounds like me.... Sarah is very disciplined- I couldn't imagine taking a holiday during taper time,,, too much free time to go do something to mess it up!
  • Options
    can i race aweek before the marathon
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Just make sure the marathon police don't spot you. They have a shoot to kill policy....
  • Options
    thats funny and how many have you done
  • Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    Malcs is that total carbs needed for the race?
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

FF - Why would you?  If you've trained for the marathon and that is your main goal then I'd say don't race, unless you do the race at a slower pace?  There's little to gain at this point but a lot to lose.

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Mr P - I've quoted the guy's post below. Having re-read the post it doesn't seem to add up. The conclusion is that if you take 175g you have 125 left but I make it that you're 125 in arrears. Hmm. 

Was it that post you were referring to? The nutrition article (link on front page of this site) says to take 60g per hour. That would still leave you slightly short on a 4hour race. Maybe the burn rate is wrong.

Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

Orbutt - it's possible to scientifically calculate energy requirements, but without fancy lab stuff/ tests, you can make some guestimates that aren't so bad.

The average male body, well trained can store approx. 400g of carbs in muscles and the liver. Depending on energy burn rate, the majority of that will be burnt off with 90-120 mins of hard exercise (I think 150-180g of carbs an hour is a typical burn rate but doing all this from memory). The male body can typically absorb 60-90g of carbs an hour, IF those carbs are a mixture of fructose and sucrose (less are absorbed if only one sugar source).

So if you have a burn rate of about 175g an hour, and you can ingest 90g an hour, that gives a working deficit of 85g/hr. Each gel provides about 25-30g of carbs. If you run for 4 hours you burn 700g, starting with 400g, so a total deficit of 300g.

1 gel every half hour starting at 30 mins into the race and finishing 30 mins before you complete the race is 7x25=175g. This means you would finish the race with approx. 125g inside you, just enough buffer to ensure that you still get a good supply of carbs to your muscles.

Lower than this, your body starts to preserve carbs and gives more fat instead to metabolised and that's when it starts to hurt and you run a bit slower, as your body finds it hard to sustain the same rate of energy burn. I have used 8 gels in a 50:50 solution meaning I start off carrying about 400ml of liquid in two flasks. Did that help?

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    Malcs when you first mentioned it I did wonder if it was Tricky image

I think you're right though, it does look like a deficit. Towards the end I always have to decide between one last gel to keep me alive and the prospect of chucking up in the park afterwards.
  • Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

LOL image

Well, I've asked him for clarification.

In the meantime I found this from a few years back:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/nutrition/ask-the-experts-carbo-loading-and-race-day-nutrition-with-nick-morgan/5078.html

I also watched Ruth's nutrition vodcasts as well. Everybody seems to say roughly the same thing ie. for me, (male,70Kg) I need around a 700g carb intake for 2 days prior and 30-60g per hour during the race. So that's 100-200g in race. 

So I'm going to go for 25 jelly babies plus one to two caffeine gels = 170 - 190g.

• Options
    Hi Angela, how about turning your half in to a longer run, say an 18 miler. Do a 4 miles warm up before it and a mile cool down at the end with some MP miles in the middle of the race? Or am I just complicating things by adding in another option?

Purple blazer....why would people make children wear them?

I have a quite busy few days off so I should be ok and it means that I wont be coming into contact with as many illnesses and germs.

Im off to Manchester for two nights to see pink, then I will be in sheffield to finish my nexplanon training and do the 5 mile road race, then we head down to london on friday. In between ive got to see our mortgage lender and do a few other things for the house so I have a feeling that my 11 days off is going to go quickly!
  • Options
    Hi Malcs, congrats on getting another viewing so quickly. I found it so difficult with cleaning the house all the time (have a lot of black glass that collects dust) so fingers crossed you will sell it quickly again to reduce work load.

I cant remember the total carb intake I worked out I would take in on the run, but I will have a look back through my thread and see what Ruth said. What ever I take, it will be more than I took last year....about 150 calories, just less than a packet of shot blocks!

Who would think running would be so difficult!

25 jelly babies and 1-2 gels sounds good to me. I would just practice with a gel tomorrow, maybe have one for breakfast before you start and then one half way.

Im feeling quite calm at the moment, but I met up with a friend at lunch time and we got on to talking about VLM...made me feel quite nervous and nauseous!
  • Options
    this is what Ruth has advised me;

"I would go for the drip feed option with the chews when you find them heavy. My first guideline to you would be no less then 30g of carb per hour (so 4 shot blocks or 3 shot blocks and 2 jelly babies (jelly babies around 4.5g of carbs per sweet) per hour. You may need up to 50g of carbs per hour but some runners seem to get by on less and you may be one of these runners as you are light. My initial thoughts are one shot block every 15minutes or 2 jelly babies, this may seem a lot to you so if really think this is not doable reduce to 24-25g per hour and have over two feedings say at 30, 60mins, 90mins etc

Think 3 shot blocks are about 24g (will double check when I get some more) + 9 g from 2 jelly babies = 33g every 8 miles (just over 1 hour)

Forgot to say I weigh 49 kg for comparison doses/nutritional needs.
  • Options
    Malcs....looking at Ruths advice again...she said that 2 JB = 9g of carbs and not 12.
  • Options
    Ruths advice on carbo loading the day or two before VLM;

"For you I would only recommend you have 400-500g when carb loading and as mentioned above cut out all the extras fat and even protein to keep the overall calories down,

So a plan for you could look like this:

Breakfast: 50g cereal & 150ml milk with one slice of toast with honey/jam and 200ml of fruit juice

Snack: 500ml milkshake or medium banana and 500ml of fruit juice/squash/cordial

Lunch: 2 slice of thick bread with banana and honey filling , 150g pot of yogurt or medium baked potato and beans

Snack: bagel and honey/jam (split in tow and have over full afternoon) and 500ml of cordial/squash.

Evening meal: 90g dried weight pasta/rice and tomato based sauce and 300ml of fruit juice or a chopped fruit & pot of yoghurt (150-200g)

Before bed: ceral bar or 1 slice of toast and jam.

This is around 450g of carbs"
  • Options
    Looks like the nerves have set in properly now, after only 5.5 hours sleep I was tired but wide awake unable to sleep - might end up needing a drink to get a good nights sleep at this rate!
  • Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

I had a nice glass of red last night but no beer image.

We have a big scale at work and I weigh myself regularly, 82 kilos at the moment, but the lads in the warehouse always shout at me to use the weighbridge.

It's nice and clear here today, I looked at the possibility of running to parkrun but it would be seven miles, plus the race, and seven back, not recommended really.  So I'll compromise and park at the edge of the forest and jog up to the start, that'll be two miles, then I'll walk back to the car.