Options

Abingdon Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

20 miler done today. Bit slower than I'd like, but good to get the first 20 run under my belt. Where I live is really hilly though so hopefully that'll give me good strength for the flat course.

It's coming around quickly isn't it?!

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Sure is!  

I have the same problem with living in a hilly area, and at the top of a hill. So whichever way I do my long runs, there's a big hill in the last 3 miles! I  generally like hilly routes, but when you want to do a 20M with the last 5 at marathon pace, that does present a bit of a problem image

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

rosie, I don't worry about LSR pace at this stage ... it's about time on feet and mileage. Next month I'll put some good MP stretches into the last parts of the long runs. Meanwhile, the faster stuff (such as it is) comes in  mid-week10M sub-lactate threshold runs. I do these at 80-83% max HR and the pace for these is a good indication of aerobic fitness. I don't do any speed work, other than the occasional parkrun.

Hilly area? ... yep, I live in west Leeds!image

Good mileage SD2!image

WW - time to put down the super-hero duties and stick to running. You may continue to wear the spandex though.image

• Options

WW bad luck with the injury, hopefully as the bruising goes you should be back running in no time. Like Dr Dan says its not running related so that can only be a good thing. 

Dr Dan where abouts in Wales where you? That's my neck of the woods. 

Steve I have the same thing it's literally impossible to get a run of over three miles without hitting a hill of some description but that put me in good stead last year, training on an undulating course and then running Abo made it so much easier.

I had to fit my long run in in Chester this Sunday as I was working all day but it worked out quite well as I actually ran flat for once, along the canal tow path managed 18.6 miles was supposed to be a progression run but my GPS was playing up so I did the first 13 sort of steady and tried to hit 6:25'sfor the rest. Worked quite well and although I was tired I managed to finish in 2:03 ave 6:38. 

Another busy week of running this week before a drop back week next week with a 10k race at the end which should be a good indicator of where things lie. 

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Martin - Nice work in getting in 18.6 while away from home! We camped on the Llyn peninsula and also popped into Ruthin on the way there and back to see family. On the drive back, I saw a motorbike driving on the pavement as we got to Conway and though it was weird ... then noticed a hoard of runners following behind! It was the North Wales HM!image

• Options

I have a place for Abingdon that I can no longer use, if anyone knows someone who wants a place.

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

RununMan posted a request on the previous page ...

Also, you should find a taker here:

http://www.fetcheveryone.com/viewtopic.php?id=53522

• Options
    flyaway wrote (see)

I have a place for Abingdon that I can no longer use, if anyone knows someone who wants a place.

Are you still looking?

I'm still after a place as per my post on page 7.  Seems like this is a better place to exchange than through the official list, or I'm a long, long way down that.

Thanks

• Options

Can't remember who was after energy gels but wiggle have the buy one get one free offer on high 5 again. £19 for 40 which works out less than 50p each. 

• Options
    Martin JMartin J ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a place if anyone has one going.

• Options

Thanks Martin, I've never used High 5 gels before but well worth trying at that price! image

• Options

Did my long run yesterday as I'm busy over the weekend. 20 split into 14 @ MP + 30 secs and 4 @ MP + 5 secs. Felt nice and comfortable and was on a fairly undulating course so quite happy with the session. No long run next week as its a drop back week with a 10k race on the Sunday. I'm looking forward to racing, it's been a while and it will be interesting to see if I have made any gains since this time last year. My long runs certainly feel more comfortable but I'm no speed bunny either

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Great 20 miler Martinimage - good luck with the race.

Since Tuesday's 11.3M sub-LT session, I've just done a series of 3 x 5.3M runs over the following 3 days, the first at recovery pace and the next two easy. Tomorrow I'll parkrun and then hoping to do 18M on Sunday, which should bring up 50M for the week.

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Only 2 days before I do the Salisbury 50k on Sunday.

Then it will be back into the Abingdon training.

Will be nice to be doing flat, road , faster sessions again.
  • Options

Good luck to Martin & Millsy! Hope you both have a good race image

I was just wondering how you all  approach your long training runs. I always run first thing in the morning, pre-breakfast, but now I'm getting into the 15+ mile runs I'm wondering whether I should make the effort to have breakfast before I go out, just as I would on race day.

I do have gels on the longer runs, but is this enough? 

• Options

I think I may have answered my own question this morning with 16 of the longest miles I've ever run! Up early on a Sunday for porridge from now on image

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Some good sessions going on out there.

Hissy fit - I find I can do up to about 16M off nothing other than a banana or dates to top up liver glycogen levels (plus drink of course) but need to be totally carbed up from the day before. Any more than that and I need some brekkie too! Sounds like you suffered a bit this morning though....

Hamstrings are behaving (just!) at the mo, and managed a slow, hilly xc 15M on Friday and another similar 11M today in an attempt to get some endurance back in the legs. I'm off to France next Saturday for two weeks and if I can get a couple of 20M+ in whilst there then I may be back on for Abo (fingers crossed image)

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Salisbury 50k done in 4.11, for 9th place. 5 mins slower than last year. Couldn't really find my top gear today. Not aching too much after though so it must mean I have the endurance. Just need to work on my speed over the next few weeks.
  • Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Well done Millsy!image

I ran a 20:20 5K on Saturday (best sine injury) and then a 20.3 mile long run on Sunday morning. 16M at at 70% maxHR (8:49/m), then a progressive 3M (8:18/m - 78%, 8:01/m - 80%, 7:39/m - 83% maxHR) ... then a stagger up the hill home as warm-down. Good to get the first 20 in th bag.

Regarding fuelling ... I had a dry bit of brown bread and a coffee before I set off, and took 500 ml water ont he run which I left hidden and picked up at 13M.

• Options

Well done millsy, I've never done more than a marathon although comrades is on the bucket list. What sort of long training runs do you do for an ultra? Anything over marathon distance?

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    My long runs were pretty much the same length as the ones in marathon training although I was running them over hilly off road terrain. My longest run was 24 miles and it took me 4hrs. I just did it as a time on feet exercise rather than for distance.

I'm doing a 50 miler next year and I think I will have to introduce back to back long runs and prob a couple of 30+ milers.

I don't feel too bad today. When I did 2.58 in London in April I ached for days. Whereas today I feel like I could get back out there and run.

Not sure I could do a road ultra.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Nicely done Millsy! I've not done an ultra, but the closest , in terms of time on the feet anyway, is the Borrowdale fell race a few times, which takes me about 4.5 hours compared to sub 3 for a marathon. Whilst Borrowdale is totally exhausting at the time, the recovery afterwards is far, far quicker than a road marathon.

Good weekend of running that Dr D...

• Options
    NonstickNonstick ✭✭✭

I've not been on here for a few weeks as I picked up an injury on both feet, looks like my trainers where well over their best, probably about 1200 miles usage. My forefoot on both feet have been sore for over 6 weeks now, stop running about 5 weeks ago as it was getting difficult to even walk after a run, have tried a couple of times since but the soreness comes back straight away, one foot has completely healed now but the other is still a bit sore, I am reluctant to run again until completely healed.

I may have a place up for grabs, I have no idea how much fitness I've lost and if I can't get back to it soon, I'll have to defer. I will know better by the end of the week. I also entered the Maidenhead half on 8th Sept but that is looking unlikely as well.

Don't make the same mistake as me and keep an eye on the mileage your trainers have done.

• Options

Sorry to hear that Nonstick, hope you recover soon.

• Options

Hi Nonstick,

Sorry to hear about your injury.

If you do decide to pull out I would really be interested in buying your place off of you.

Cheers

Lee 

• Options
    NonstickNonstick ✭✭✭

Thanks Hissy fit

Lee, I'll see how it goes over the next few days and let you know.

• Options

Cheers, that's appreciated,

Best

Lee

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Anyone planning races in September?image

I'm going to do Lake Vyrnwy HM on 15th  and Horsforth 10K on 29th. The South Cheshire 20 at 5-weeks pre-Abingdon looks good but I'd signed up for Lake Vynrwy by the time I spotted that one.

And are we ready for any race predictions yet for the big dayimage? I'll refine mine after Lake Vynwy but for now...

Dr.Dan - 3:29

• Options

I'm going to do a 10k trail race on Sept 29th and maybe the Great Eastern Half on Oct 13 - yes I know its too close for a race but will be OK as a training run, I would normally do a 12 mile fastish run the weekend before a marathon anyway.

Not ready for a prediction yet, maybe after my half on Sunday, although I think some of its off road and a bit undulating so not even sure what sort of time I expect. We will see