Options

Base training backlash

Can we have one please? I'm not saying I'm hugely against base training, but the vast majority of the argument on this forum has been very one sided. We need a backlash, if only in the interests of balance.

So Lydiard wrote his book three decades ago. Since then plenty must have been published disagreeing with him - think I saw a bit in Noakes the other day. Can we talk about that for a bit?

For example, Daniels suggests 24 week marathon build up, of four 6 week phases. Yes, the first phase is recognisably base training, but the speed work gets introduced pretty quickly. Sounds good to me...

Comments

• Options
    Where's that bloke who was improving rapidly on running flat out every time he ran. I think he treated all runs as races for PB's. No base training there.

Is he still around ? Hellloooooooo ?
  • Options
    Venom - you're too late! Check out the daily training thread for 30th September - 4th page or thereabouts - for the extended whinge which started it all.

Since then it's become clear there are a number of sceptics, including (I believe)
    sfh legs
    Big Tim
    Treadmill
    Minkin (tried it & it didn't suit)

and bear in mind there are at least a couple who describe their (now more frequent) aerobic sessions as "base building", but include too many harder sessions (or races) for their overall regime to be characterised as one of pure "base building".

As I said last week on another thread, if you compare a "conventional" training regime to building a house, then base building (as advocated by its evangelists) is equivalent to constructing a nuclear bunker.

Must stop going on about this.....
  • Options
    Hi Mike,

I read all that at the time, I just thought it was worth giving greater visibility. I'm not having ago at any of the proponents of BT, it just strikes me that base training is spreading round these forums like cheap smack in a council estate, and only one point of view is being put forward.

I do like your bunker metaphor anyway!
  • Options
    This months RW comes out in force saying, if I read it right, if it works, do it!
  • Options
    Here is a thought for you....You can loose weight by avoiding the conventional "balanced diet" and instead eating more protein and very low amounts of carbohydrates - commonly known as Atkins Diet. This diet has been lambasted on these forums for its appeal to people who want a quick and easy fix to a weight issue that they believe they have.

Then along comes base building which in a simplistic form says eschew the conventional training sessions (speed/interval/tempo/fartlek and long slow run) that you do and instead run slowly and you will become a sub 6 min/miler.

Don't these principals have a similar appeal i.e they are pain/effort free ways to achieve your goals.

Also I have seen on these forums people who are currently doing Base Training have a go at RW magazine because it has run articles along the lines of "run faster by running slower"..

All slightly contradictory.

I shall now declare that whilst I believe all that I said above to be true.. I have done the Atkins diet (and it worked for me in achieving my goal) and I have been base training for just over 1 month (with less success so far)...

• Options
    I read about some research recently (unfortunately can't remember the link) that indicated that there was no benefit to the base training approach, and that it was actually better to include a couple of speedwork sessions a week right from the word go...

Personally, I struggle with the "run slow to get fast" principle. For instance, if you are running reasonably high mileage anyway, then it seems to me that it would be a much better idea to do recovery sessions on a bike/x-trainer/etc instead of runing very slowly. The only purpose of recovery runs is to get the blood (and the nutrients it contains) flowing to your leg muscles. This can be equally well-achieved by running/x-training/etc, and if you are running a lot of miles, then doing slow recovery runs will just inflict additional leg muscle damage (due to eccentric contractions / high impact) and teach inefficient running neural-muscular firing patterns, for no benefit. Why waste your bodies capacity for repair and growth on repairing unnecessary leg-muscle damage? This will surely just hinder your body's adaptation to other training-induced stresses.

And I just don't understand how doing 100miles a week of easy running (which will only stimulate endurance gains) can possibly be preferable to running 70miles a week with a mix of sessions that will also raise lactate threshold (/turnpoint)? Surely you want to target your sessions at the specific adaptations your goal-race requires? For a marathon lactate threshold work seems to important to only focus on for a couple of months at the end of your training.

I remember reading that athletes racing the marathon all run at almost exactly the same fixed percentage of their lactate threshold (/turnpoint) velocity (vLT). Therefore it would seem reasonable that running for 2.5 hours at 90% vLT where vLT is 11.5mph should not require any more ENDURANCE than running 2.5 hours at 90% vLT where vLT is 11mph. Raising LT running speed is what counts. So why the focus on endurance that base building teaches?

I am intrigued by the bloke that cougie mentioned who ran flat out every time he ran. It has often occured to me that intense sessions followed by sufficient recovery might be the best way to stimulate the body to produce maximal overcompensation (i.e. quickest/largest performance improvements possible).

However, it has also occured to me that although the body can cope with high levels of stress (be they training-induced or otherwise) in the short-term, there is very probably a limit to how long the body will tolerate these sorts of stress-levels before it starts to shut-down and requires prolonged recovery.

So finding the right balance must be key to maximising improvements - base building just doesn't seem to me to give you much bang for your bucks...
  • Options
    A Kenyan Nuclear Bunker though ;).

In the commentary on the NY marathon yesterday Tim Hutchins was talking about the Kenyans running 8 miles to school and then 8 miles home again from an early age. I know this is an old chestnut, but judging by the top few runners yesterday it would go someway to explaining their dominance.

• Options
    Are you referring to NattyNoodle (sp?) by any chance? I remember him saying that he raced almost every week, and hardly anything in-between (haven't seen any post from for a while now).

And then there was that guy who won the Cyprus (I think) marathon at his first attempt, and at the back of a weekly mileage of 30m, or something ridiculous like that! I think we can classify that one as a freak!!
  • Options
    cougie, well that bloke wasn't me but that's how I trained for the best part of 18 months. It worked reasonably well and I did improve rapidly for the first 6 months or so (and that's not just because I was new to training...I'd been training consistently for years). After that, the improvement slowed considerably and eventually it became really difficult to even maintain my fitness. Been base training now for about 6 weeks. Bit early to tell if it's going to enable me to break into new PBs, but I'm finally starting to see encouraging signs. Will let you know what happens.
  • Options
    i agree with the above - moreover for marathon work i read a few things that seemed pretty pursuasive that the best way to train for a fast marathon is to follow a 10k schedule from the outset, with weekend long runs thrown in

personally i'm in a base training period, but its very different from the dogmatic view of base training that seems to have arisen on these forums - basically for the first quarter of your race prep, do more steady sessions and fewer speed sessions, simple as that
  • Options
    Who is it - maybe Stranded in Turkey or perhaps the guy that won the Cyprus race - who based his marathon training on doing 1600m track intervals or something like that. I remember that it was that that started me doing 1600m track intervals anyway.

Also from Noakes there is a description of Greta Waitz's training (no idea how to spell it) and she was certainly not a high mileage low heart rate trainer - it says all her training was sub 6 minute miling which is quite quick when you think she was running 2.30 marathons or thereabouts. Neither did she attempt to peak for certain races - rather she kept to a mixed training regime throughout.

Then again I am sure others could point to the success of people employing an extended base training strategy.

My feeling is that the type of training that will benefit you most will depend on you - what are your deficiencies and what are the potentials of your body to react to different sorts of training.

My main question about base training is why do we have to abstain from any hard effort during this base training phase. I have never seen any evidence that doing one fast run a week would somehow negate the benefit derived from doing a lot of slower running.
  • Options
    I think it is a bit of a knife-edge with intensive training...You gain the most rapid benefits by doing high stress workouts. However, if you push it too far, then the body, instead of overcompensating (leading to performance gains), just shuts-down to prevent you from inflicting further stress/damage on yourself. Over-training syndrome is just the body's safety valve. And depending on how much you have over-done it you have a corresponding amount of recovery time.

I don't think there is any magic system for training - it is just a cause of applying the right amount of training-induced stress at the right times. You have to balance your training so that you see continuous performance gains whilst also being able to consistently sustain this level of training effort over long periods without "burning out".
  • Options
    Andy - the 10k schedule with weekend long-runs sounds like an eminently sensible approach.

I'm just starting my 2nd week of FLM training and I'm already planning to fit in three fairly short Lactate Threshold sessions, a hill-session, plus some strides...

• Options
    Surely the point is you're NOT always running slow - I'm already running faster than I used to be able to while training 'normally' but at a lower HR. The idea is to become more efficient for your pace.

And anyway, it's only the FIRST STAGE, speed and hills come next to build on the base ready for a fast marathon. So I don't really see the problem - speed isn't being sacrificed, it's being added once the body has already developed a strong and efficient aerobic system.
  • Options
    Lamb,

The point is that by the SECOND STAGE you've already missed x months' potential training time that could have been utilised to improve lactate threshold, vo2max, neuro-muscular efficiency at race-speed. In fact, all you have achieved with the first stage of base training is to increase the heart's efficiency at a fairly low work-rate (whilst inflicting increased leg-muscle damage because of the required higher mileage).

You don't race at a low heart-rate, so I fail to see the logical step that says improving your efficiency at low heart-rate will make you faster in races at a much higer heart-rate... Specifity of training is absolutely key - this is one of the few proven facts in sports science!

Any reasonable training schedule should see you running faster for a targetted heart-rate (although you would usually not see this gain during training - you would see it AFTER recovery) - however, for a marathons your target race heart rate will be much higher than your easy-run base-training heart-rate...
  • Options
    I quote re. comparing base building to Atkins: "Then along comes base building which in a simplistic form says eschew the conventional training sessions (speed/interval/tempo/fartlek and long slow run) that you do and instead run slowly and you will become a sub 6 min/miler."
    HA HA HA HA HA HA
    chuckle
    snigger
    HA HA HA HA!!!

Sorry, just had to get that out of my system.

As someone who is often blamed/credited with promoting such training, please note:
    1) My approach to training does NOT eschew speed training - on the contrary it enables on to do MORE of it.. EVENTUALLY.
    2) It is NOT a simple system - it is quite complex in latter stages.
    3) It is most certainly NOT an easy fix - how many have the patience to take time out to do a serious base. How many are prepared to get slower first? How many are prepared to do LOTS of miles?
    It seems to me that doing less and making your fewer runs faster, doing the same stuff year round, is teh easy fix - maybe it's just a matter of perspective.
    4) This is NOT just slow running - I advocate 3 runs at (or close to) Lactate Threshold (which, before AC arrives, *I* define as the pace you can absolutely flat out for 1hr, although you would not do that in training!). NOT slow! Also I have frequently recommended alactic speed work to base builders - faster than "speed work"...
    5) A lot of misunderstanding seems to have arisen over my "base for a base" theories. All I have said is that I advocate dropping all faster running (inc. LT work) and long runs to enable milegae to rise as easily as possible. The higher the mileage the more you'll get out of base building, if you remove as many stresses as possible (long run, faster work) you can increase the mileage quicker/more easily. This is only to get you to the point where you can get more out of "proper" base building which DOES include long run, LT speed & alactic drills.
    6) Not everyone is willing or able to take the time out to do this work - it is easy to adapt to one's desires/life/etc. What BR is doing is "95% pure" base building and will, obviously get 95%, off the results. He wouldn't want to do it or enjoy it if he did it 100% - so HIS way is the best way for HIM.

Quick question for those advocating 400m reps for marathon runners. When is someone aiming to run 8 m/m pace for 26 miles going to benefit from running almost 5 m/m pace? In the 1st mile? In the last one?
    It is all well and good talking about "conventional" methods, but MOST people on these boards do NOT know WHY they train as they do. At least MOST of those base buildin know why they are doing it.

Before anyone criticises something, make sure you understand it...

• Options
    when IS it CoRrEcT to use UPPER case CHAracteRS¿
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Pantman-one view is not everyone's view and as for MOST people not knowing WHY they are training as they do, what gives you that impression?
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    When you want to shout, I believe andy.
  • Options
    Not shouting - caps used for emphasis due to lack of bold font...
  • Options
    i think most people do know why they do what they do

the only thing i'm not sure about (asked on venom's other thread) is why very short intervals?
  • Options
    i think i saw caps being used ironically earlier, too though
  • Options
    My bug-bear has always been people advocating anaerobic speed work to those trying to run 10K under the 1hr, fro example. The problem with the "eclectic" approach is that it is applied to all, without understanding the purpose of each of the elements.
  • Options
    One maxim that Daniels writes about in his Running Formula book is that before every session, you should know exactly what it is that that session is going to do for you. He also suggests that for each kind of session, e.g. a 400m intervals session, that is a perfect pace to do it at (for each person). Any easier and you're not getting the full benefit, any harder and you're not getting much extra benefit for a significantly greater risk of injury and a longer recovery period. I like the thinking behind that approach, and it makes a lot of sense.

Pantman, you say that before you criticise something, make sure you understand it. I completely agree. I think the opposite also applies - before you advocate something, try to make sure you understand it. With base training, there's a lot of people on this forum (not including Pantman, who is obviously well informed) who are advocating base training without a full understanding of what's going on. That's leading to what feels suspiciously like a bandwagon, which is why I wanted to start this thread.

This is all making interesting reading though, which is the primary purpose fulfilled!
  • Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    This is quite similar to a development in rowing training when I used to do that. We used to thrash up and down and do lots of intervals, then some coaches came along and say that what we should be doing is lots of long, relatively slow outings to build up aerobic fitness.

Well, that may have made us fitter, but it was (a) not very useful for technique in a race situation and (b) extremely boring.

The faster I go in training, the more I enjoy it, so much of my training inevitably ends up being not very far off race pace.

So base training, schmase training.
  • Options
    Gravy - I'm prepared to put in the time at each stage and be patient... looking at 12 months before my marathon attempt rather than the usual 3-4 months.
  • Options
    Pantman,

I think the two approaches are not that far apart if done sensibly. I think they approach the same goal - to build up eventually to high mileage AND intensity - but just different angles. Your body can only tolerate a certain amount of training stress so you can't initially do big mileage AND lots of intense sessions. Therefore your take on base building seems to suggest (mainly) building up mileage first, then increasing intensity. The other alternative approach is to (mainly) build intensity first then increase mileage. Both seem valid, but my feeling is that there are bigger gains to be made by attempting to maximise LT gains early than by attempting to maximise endurance early. As I said in an earlier postvLT is the limiting factor to marathon time: "athletes racing the marathon all run at almost exactly the same fixed percentage of their lactate threshold (/turnpoint) velocity (vLT). Therefore it would seem reasonable that running for 2.5 hours at 90% vLT where vLT is 11.5mph should not require any more ENDURANCE than running 2.5 hours at 90% vLT where vLT is 11mph. Raising LT running speed is what counts. So why the focus on endurance that base building teaches?"

In answer to your question about how someone who is aiming for 8m/m pace can benefit from 5m/m pace running. The main benefit is that it teaches your brain the correct neuro-muscular firing patterns to enable you to run efficiently. Running fast forces you into better running "form" - it teaches you to minimise the amount of time your feet contact the ground for with each foot-fall, gets your legs used to faster turnover, requires you to keep your hips solid, etc. At slow sppeds you can get away with all sorts of running flaws - you just don't notice them (or the fact that you are wasting energy). Start running fast and these flaws are quickly exposed.

Also, fast running will raise your velocity at lactate turnpoint, although, admittedly, you can probably get a bigger increase for less training "stress" by doing lactate turnpoint intervals or tempo runs.
  • Options
    Re. Kenyans running to school mentioned earlier. This, IMHO, is why it takes someone like Paula until she is 30 to be the best in the world yet young African runners are often there before 20.
    I have had e-mail contact with the coach of one Kenyan runner who ran 5M to school and 5M back, and often came home for lunch too! 10/20M from 6-16yrs! No wonder at 18 he was running with the top seniors...

The relevance of this to this thread is that, as Hadd (coach well known to those on base thread) once put it, if you want to get all the toothpaste out of the tube squeeze from the bottom - if you don't at first you'll have to eventually. Those aerobic miles have to be done to run your best and aerobic fitness is the factor that affects endurance training the most.
  • Options
    Andy,

Very short work periods are usually suggested for high intensity intervals where you want to focus on teaching your body efficient neuro-muscular firing patterns for fast running. You don't want to build up lactic acid as this inhibits this process. These intervals should be run comfortably fast (not all-out sprinting - more like 800m - mile pace) so that you can maintain the best running style possible.
  • Options
    Pants - be good to have a chat, virtual or otherwise, sometime about training, progress etc.