Options

Base training backlash

Comments

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    You are quite right hilly, there is no one rule for everybody. We all choose what suits us. Your mileage and times are very impressive, so whatever you do, you are doing it right!
  • Options
    Not sure I quite agree with that JJ. That's a bit like saying "don't give me that pseudo-science about gravity, it's just common sense that apples fall towards the ground". If a training strategy works, there must be a reason for why it works. And if you know what that reason is, you can use that understanding to improve the strategy.
  • Options
    BodBod ✭✭✭
    JJ, you are right to a point but many, perhaps most runners have no idea how to run easy, even if it appears in their schedule and finish even run completely done in. If a 'gadget' helps newbies (and some experienced runners too) understand easy they may get more benefits from their programme whatever theory it follows.

It seems that the BT'ers fall into the category of people who want to make a step change in their performance. For me and Minks and others newcomers we want to get that endurance in our legs that longtime runners have taken years to get, even though BT is longterm, for me it's a short cut. For others like BR and Wardi, they are trying it because they have done the other techniques and it hasn't brought the results they wanted.

However, I've tried to avoid posting too much here because whilst I value the debate it can sometimes turn into a p!ssing contest. It's a broad church go out and enjoy your running however you train!

Bod
  • Options
    JJ - Venom makes a good point, but also to many it isn't common sense and they don't do it which is why it needs to be said.

Also nobody is saying that you HAVE to get a HRM or do it a very precise way... Just a useful tool to help out, as you have reminded us again, not to remove the necessity of responding to "feel".
  • Options
    The trouble with your argument, Venom, is that whilst all apples are the same and the force of gravity works the same everywhere (with minor variations that be ignored), people ARE all different, different in both their physiological and their psychological makeup and there cannot be a one rule suits all approach. No-one's actually denying the efficacy of the BT approach but simply asserting the need for its adjustment to suit the individual and that it's the individual's responsibility to ascertain its suitability for them. It's no good your convincing me that I need to behave according to your set of tried and tested training rules, then when I apply them rigidly to my training regime, for me to come to you complaining that it didn't work and that I'm injured and that I'm blaming you for it. Your immediate reaction would be that I should have applied common sense and varied the approach so that it suited me. Now I'm not using experience here because I'm not far enough down the road of training experience to do so, I'm just applying simple logic and common sense, and I'm sure as eggs not going to go jumping in at the deep end and going all out for BT as it is writ, when the sensible approach is to test it little by little and see how much of it actually works for me and GIVES ME WHAT I WANT FROM MY TRAINING. (not shouting just trying to emphasise the point without bold or italic), And incidentally no disrespect for BT per se only for the concept that it, or any single training regime, is or ever could be a universal panacea.

_W
  • Options
    ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    Not sure I can totally concur with your point about different physiology. After all both of our muscles are made up of Type I and II fibres, sarcomeres, mitochondria, etc, etc. Yes we have slightly differing proportions but at the end of the day they are going to respond to the same training stimuli.

Or are you a Vulcan in disguise?
  • Options
    At that level, yes, I have to agree. I'm not convinced that's not an over-simplification although it has a certain logic, I admit. However you can't contovert the subject part of my argument, I guess.

You can't see my ears, can you?
  • Options
    contovert = controvert
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    That's true, Chaos, but this doesn't change the fact that different people respond differently to the same training. Two runners of the same ability and at the same level of training will not necessarily achieve the same results given the same training programme. There are lots of factors involved - for example, one runner may adapt easily to a 40-mile training week while another is beset with injuries and illness.
  • Options
    Obviously my analogy was far from being an exact one, and I was being more than a little tongue in cheek. But I think use of the phrase "pseudo science" was rather harsh, and that's what I was getting at.

Common sense isn't a magic cure all either. People aren't going to magically divine for themselves a good training program, so it makes sense to read widely. Of course, they do then need to apply that in a sensible way.

Minkin is obviously correct in the statement above, but so is Chaos. Everyone's body will react to a given stimulus in pretty much the same way, subject to that person's own limits. It's making sure that those limits are not crossed that means one person's training program different to anothers.
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    I hate it when a page turns and the posting is on the previous page that you want to respond to!!!

Chaos, surely the point you made about us all having muscle twitch fibres l & ll,can make an enormous difference depending on which fibres one has the majority of. Those who have more type l will respond quite differently to a training programme to those who have more type ll.
  • Options
    I'm still not convinced that all-easy-speed-running type base training is the way to go even for beginners. I think the vast majority of new runners pick up injuries (due to a lack of leg-muscle strength and/or poor running style) rather than training so hard that they come down with over-training syndrome. It seems common-sense that repetitively doing exactly the same type of training day-in day-out is going to cause over-use type injuries - and the research done in this area certainly backs up this view. Surely new runners would be better off mixing in walking, cycling, weight-training and stretching together with at least some slightly varied running sessions in order to prevent some muscles from being massively over-used whilst others are under-used? The only part of the all-easy-speed-running type base training that makes sense to me is the not doing too much high intensity work too early, but it seems a very restrictive way of achieving this...
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Base training doesn't have to be ALL easy-speed running, though. John L. Parker, for example, advocates more of a easy/hard approach (building up very gradually for a novice). And he doesn't advocate huge distances, even at quite an advanced level. The point is that 'easy' days really do need to be 'easy' (that means below 70% of working heart rate) and many runners do not run 'easy' even when they believe that they are. Hence the value of a heart rate monitor, at least until a runner gets used to what 'easy' should feel like. I was definitely guilty of running my easy days far too hard. Now that I do these runs at a truly easy pace, I can run harder sessions with less risk of burnout or injury, because I'm giving my body proper recovery time, and the harder sessions are higher quality because I'm running them on fresh legs.
  • Options
    I agree with Minkin that all runners are different. One runner may do a session and take three days to recover from it, another runner may do exactly the same session but take six days to recover from it. The first runner might see a 0.25% performance gain from the session, and the second runner might see a 0.5% performance gain. One training schedule can never fit everyone. This doesn't imply that the type of training sessions required for optimum performance gains is necessarily different - just that the duration and recovery periods will need to be adjusted to suit the individual.

Whether runners are all different or, as Chaos says, fundamentally all the same, doesn't change the fact that research incontrovertibly shows that the greater the training stress you inflict, the greater the overcompensation, and hence performance gain, you will receive (until a certain limit after which over-training sets in). There is also research suggesting that the body can tolerate (i.e. no injury/illness) a much greater total training stress if this training is varied rather than monotonous. Taken together, these studies definitely suggest that a varied training schedule (with a mix of running speeds), which stresses your body to just below over-training levels, is the way to achieve maximum improvement with minimum injury/illness.
  • Options
    Minkin - I am in total agreement with you that recovery days need to be easy whether base training or not. I can even see the benefit of using an HRM to help stay below 70%WHR if people have trouble running slow enough.

However, this was never my problem with base training - I just think that the commonly suggested "harder" base training sessions are not frequent or hard enough to get the maximum performance gains. Also, judging from some of the posts, it would seem that "all easy-speed running" is a fairly common interpretation of base-training...
  • Options
    Wardi, you and I have the same goal...sub 3:00 FLM. It will be interesting to compare goals along the way and see how we both do!
  • Options
    My take on training is that there is no point providing the same training stimulus all the time. Top bodybuilders work on legs one day, then stomach and lower back the next, then arms, chest and upper back the nexta bit like. The reason they do this is that you don't actually see any muscle size/strength benefits until the muscle has been allowed to recover for sufficient time for super-compensation to take place. If they were to work the same muscle groups every day they would just keep on re-damaging the muscles before they had a chance to fully repair, let alone super-compensate.

It is surely the the same with running - one day you want to focus on providing a maximal stimulus to the Lactate system (to reduce the rate at which lactate is produced for a given work-rate and/or increase the rate at which your muscles can recycle lactate), the next day you might want to work on building your heart's endurance and efficiency, the next you might want to focus on building leg-muscle strength. The first day you've stressed your lactate system, the second and third days you've allowed it to recover and adapt fully leading to maximum performance gains. Only by varying your training and focusing your training in turn on one particular aspect (or group of aspects), and minimising the stress on the other aspects, can you hope to provide maximum training stimulus whilst allowing sufficient recovery of each aspect. This is what I don't see base training providing.
  • Options
    BodBod ✭✭✭
    Gravy

To some extent you are correct but both the timing and the analogy with bodybuilders is off beam. In a running context we need to develop heart, lungs, leg muscles and tendons/cartlidge. The order above is in increasing time it takes to develop, therefore a runner may injure himself because, although the heart/lungs and even muscles are 'fit' enough the tendons etc are not!

Bodybuilders are looking for muscle hypertrophy, especially in type II (FT)muscle fibres and the needs of overstress and respite are exactly as you describe. However, Bt'ers are looking primarily to develop type 1 (ST) muscles and create a more efficient although not larger muscle mass. The staged recruitment of these fibres and the time required to develop mitochondria/capilliaries require longer duration excercise, daily or even twice daily. Anaerobic activity retards this process.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info Bod. I do appreciate the need for frequent long duration exercise in order to develop mitochondria growth or capillarisation. However, I'm interested to know what the scientific basis is for the 70% WHR figure. I have never seen any studies which provide evidence of optimum heart rate / exercise duration / frequency for developing these aspects (i.e is 2hrs @ 65%WHR better than 1.5hrs @ 70%WHR or not) nor whether increased intensity exercise actually retards this process (although it will obviously reduce the duration of exercise you can perform if you are already at your training volume limit). If you do a couple of days of long-slow running, is a faster run such as a 10K tempo run really going to lose the benfits of the previous runs??? I'm also unsure as to the part anaerobic activity plays... To quote from Tim Noakes' "Lore of Running": "There is little evidence that lactate is released only by muscles that are anaerobic or indeed that muscles ever become anaerobic during exercise".

Also, there are obviously several other important aspects besides mitochondria growth and capillarisation that cannot necessarily be neglected till the latter stages of training, e.g. glycotic pathway adaptations, changes in muscle contractility, changes to the lactate system. I have not seen any research
    that shows that these aspects need any less time to approach maximal values than mitochondria growth and capillarisation. Even if some aspects might have been shown to initially rise rapidly over a short period given the correct training stimuli, this does not necessarily imply that they reach near maximal values any quicker than mitochondria growth and capillarisation - it may just be that these aspects have been neglected in training to such an extent that their initial levels are very low and thus have great scope for improvement.

I'm sorry if I sound argumentative - it is just that I get a bit frustrated with the lack of hard evidence behind a lot of running theory and I'm very curious to try and find some answers. So if you can point me in the direction of any studies I might have missed that back-up the base-training argument then I would be very grateful if you could let me know.

(BTW Following on from the point you made in your first paragraph, wouldn't long-duration easy-pace running be harder on the tendons/cartlidge than shorter duration faster running?)
  • Options
    BodBod ✭✭✭
    Sh!t, wrote a long reply then lost it. Summary is...

Won't argue the point since no-one (Noakes et al) are fully agreed on various mechanisms or can back them up evidentially and introvertably.

Am happy to base build, think it's right for me. Could/Should work, if not, have not lost anything.
  • Options
    Bod - I agree that base training has worked well enough for athletes like Peter Snell to achieve some very impressive performances, and that, if we could put in the high mileages required, we should be able to achieve some impressive performance gains. However, when you say you with have lost nothing I have to disagree - at the very least you are going to potentially lose up to an hour or so each day because the required duration of each training session will be much longer than a mixed training regime...
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Gravy,

I assume you read the Hadd article? This seems to me the most comprehensive and understandable explanation of why base training works (and goes into the science too), so if you haven't seen it it's at:

http://www.ffh.us/cn/hadd.htm

(Sorry, I don't know how to do links on here).
  • Options
    BodBod ✭✭✭
    Introvertably - whats that, I mean incontrovertably!

Yes, am wagering a hour in bed as most of my sessions are done between 0545 and 0645.
  • Options
    ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    I did get the impression from my reading around that the body really only benefits from a certain number of weeks of more intensive training prior to a racing season. This varied from person to person but was generally 10-12 weeks or something. Any more was counter-productive and indeed likely to lead to injury.

If this is the case then it suggests that there is a definite periodisation element required in ones' training if it is to be optimal - generally for a specific event or perhaps a set of events in a short season such as cross country. Of course one can have several such periods a year and base training is only an element of a period with speed & strength being very important elements but ones that do not benefit from being done all the time.

Am I making sense? We do actually often seem to be agreeing on this thread whilst disagreeing on semantics.
  • Options
    Minkin - this is exactly my point about relevant research. The research quoted by Hadd (J Holloszy 1967, J Holloszy 1975 & G Dudley 1982) used very coarse gradations in duration and effort. The magic 70% figure seems to come from G Dudley's research showing that slow-twitch fibres improved more at 70% VO2max than 50% VO2max or 85% VO2max. Who knows whether 75% VO2max or 80% VO2max might have been better still? This study does not give us this information. Also the research showed that fast twitch red (intermediate) fibre improvements maximised at 85% VO2max rather than 70% VO2max - Hadd seems to just disregard the possible importance of these fibres to distance running and talks solely about slow-twitch fibres. Research indicates that these muscles fibres have the ability to convert to slow twitch fibres so it doesn't seem wise to ignore them...

The papers by D Costill and J.A. Hawley that are quoted by Hadd don't provide any significance for the much quoted 70% VO2max figure either. In fact Costill or Hawley don't really tell us anything except that vLT is crucial - they certainly don't have anything to say about the best way to maximise this. All they state is that faster runners accumulate less lactate than slower runners between 70% - 85% VO2max.

I can totally see that doing a large quantity of aerobic exercise is a good thing - I just get stuck on why I should always stay under 70% VO2max, or 70% WHR or whatever. If it doesn't adversely affect your weekly mileage then why not run at 75% or 80% or 85%??? There is no evidence to say it is a less effective way to train for a marathon. And I doubt that many of us are putting in so many miles that increasing the intensity of some sessions to 75% or 80% or 85% would would push us into over-training territory...
  • Options
    Chaos - yes I think that most of us agree on far more than we disagree on really...

I think we are pretty much in agreement that up to a certain limit (which will depend on your ability but seems to max out at something like 140 miles / week for elite athletes) more miles equates to better marathon performance. I think we are also probably in agreement that there is a limit to the amount of intensive training that it is productive to do. However, I think the difference is that whilst I (and others) would define intensive training as involving a number of deeply anaerobic sessions per week, others seem to count a week which including a few marathon-pace runs and 10K-pace intervals as being intense...
  • Options
    ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    Difficult one Gravy; having now decided that next year will be the one for a 5k and 10K PB I've started to think hard about what BT/intensive might mean. I still believe that to start any hard (lactate-accumulating?) hill/speed work Now rather than 12 weeks before a target race (probably an Easter 10k) could well be premature but I know I am itching to re-join the club track sessions.

Some of you will say "Go for it!! That's what you (and therefore your body) want to do so just enjoy it"; but on the other hand I do feel that reining in a desire to peg it along until jan/feb can only increase the success come april/may. I will be doing just that (reining myself in) but equally I'll want to do those 12x400s or whatever my colleagues are doing.

Gravys' whole thing about what %age to go for is a lot more difficult to judge without blood testing on hand. I totally his/her point about the studies in question focussing on a particular percentage without questioning what the optimal one may have been & equally what the best way to drive up one's vLT is. But in the absence of a handy biologist in the family, one does need to go by the experience of Mr Hadd, Noakes et al. The lactate turnpoint of the individual does seem to indicate something though and I would be willing to do my training to suit.

[says Chaos who is only just getting back to 3x60 minute runs a week having done too much Pose-technique too soon! it's all theoretical but I'd like to optimise recovery...]
  • Options
    ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    {and who has just had a few pints of the black stuff, to be sure! )

I think i meant to say in the 2nd para - "I totally" agree with ... blah de blah; but I guess you got the point.

Oi'll go home now...