Options

Base training backlash

Comments

• Options
    Dare I say something on this erudite thread?

I am a total beginner and ignorant to boot. I only started running in April this year after a layoff of 50yrs-ish. (yes fifty) I do not know the meaning of terms like VO2max, lactic threshold, etc., although I do know the difference between aerobic and anaerobic exercise. I currently run 15mpw at 12m/m and I enjoy it. I have built up to that without the first of idea of "proper" training and without significant injury. It seems to me that the sensible way to go is to test your body and see what it can cope with comfortably then push it a bit harder but not too much, just build up gradually on pace and distance.

When I started I couldn't do much more than walk but now can run (plod) for an hour continuously. I seek advice and read all I can find but believe I have to temper it all with how it suits what my body can achieve. All you guys with your "scientific" methods seem to think you're discussing absolutes, except some seem to think they're absolutely right and others are absolutely wrong. I'm not trying to be offensive (far be it) but just to suggest that as we are all different (size, weight, age, sex, perception, will-power) we need to take on board those bits of the various methods and theories that actually suit us and that we must discover by experiment. The experimentation has to be sensible as does the training and so long as we continue to gradually increase our mileage and push the pace just that bit further, surely that is the absolute that works for all? I can see the value of doing speed work and of steady running but the point of running deliberately slow escapes me, it just doesn't seem logical. Obviously it gets in the miles but (not too comfortable) steady running does that and I would have thought more effectivley.

Now I've shot my ignorant mouth off there's a chance for everyone to say how wrong I am and what I should be doing in addition to keeping quiet and letting those who know what they're talking about get on with it without interruption.

_W
  • Options
    I don't think you should particularly keep your mouth shut, Walkman - I think this, along with the other Base Thread, is one of the most interesting threads on the forums to follow. (Am just an observer, looking into base training, so finding all views interesting.)
  • Options
    I have read through the vast majority of this thread and would like to add my two pennethworth.
    Base training to me is important but it should be carried out at a decent percentage of your lactate threshold say 80%, running slowly leads to form characteristics which can be difficult to eradicate later on. Running much slower than your "natural" pace can also lead to injuries (personal experience) and give an uneven balance to your training.
    I would recommend that any base training is done according to how you want to improve and not how you are running at the time, super compensation is a well known and fully utilised technique and adding the elements of this to your training regime can bring benefits which cannot be achieved by other means.
    I could go on but I think that this issue personal to each of our training regimes and we do what we think works for us.
  • Options
    Walkman - I don't think you should necessarily slow down your runs. It may simply be that you have 'intuitively' found your optimum running pace - which many people do. However, some people consistently try to run too fast (too often), especially newer runners, those returning from injury and those who are impatient... Base training can provide a very effective focus and purpose to training and, if applied correctly, act as platform for greater running efficiency, stamina and speed.

I am currently base training but if I am still base training next summer then something will have terribly gone wrong!
  • Options
    The biggest bone of contention seems to be the idea of running slowly. When I'm running between 145 and 152 bpm (152 is 70% of my WHR) it feels steady not slow (it's actually just under 8 min/mile pace). In fact last night I felt like I was flying, but was still at just under the 8min/mile.

I don't think I would want to run deliberately slowly either and that seems to be the problem with the prescribed bpm's, they appear to make people run too slow. The trick is how to get people to be able to run at a reasonable pace but stay under the threshold.
  • Options
    "Running slow" ???? Yes or no??? (Poet!)

I started out at 10min/miles and got to 6:20 pace at the same HR (comfortable aerobic - approx. 10-15bpm below threshold). Much of the rate of improvement was due to lots of weight loss.

Now I did all this running at a MAX of 145bpm, so much of it was significantly less. And it felt fairly fast, but yet very comfortable - a lovely balance. I never had a problem feeling slow - it all felt pretty damn fast comparatively.
    Retrospectively, as I sit here with a strained adductor brevis (no thanks to a crap physio), I realise that I was perhaps running TOO fast. The body had to adapt to the changes involved in going from 10m/m to 6:20 pace (average, so some downhill sections prob @5m/m!). In particular it hurts as I pick up pace while the leg is in the air (requires support their too, as well as point fo contact) - my speed increase came too quick (over just 3 months) for my body to handle. I had to start doing runs at 120bpm to give my body a chance to catch up with my CV system.

Now compare me, to a girl I was recently speaking to. She told me she was going to be tested for anaemia 'cos she was tired much of the time and even the easiest run felt hard.
    I know nothing of her train but tell her she is doing 3 (or possibly) 4 runs a week, all of fairly high quality and none slow. Jackpot!
    You see she was moderately fast, but it was mostly anaerobic fitness. What you can gain from anaerobic fitness is far more limited and she was starting to max out. Her aerobic fitness was also very underdeveloped, so every time she ran she was working anaerobically and never recovering. The girl needed a large dose of base training.
    The trouble is that even what she percieved as "slow" running was barely aerobic. Also anaerobic comes quickly but also goes quickly too - so by working on base she would lose a LOT of speed. Easy to get back, but very soul destroying. For her base building would mean, from her perspective, unbelieveably slow plodding.

So if we were to both run at the same relative HR (LT - 10/15bpm), I would be "too fast" and she would be "too slow"!

Reminds me of the Mark Allen anecdote who when he was racing close to 5m/m pace in Triathlons was told he was "unfit" - he ran according to Phil MAffetone's 180 formula and could only manage 8m/m! VERY slow for him - especially as he was anaerobic-only in training! He NEVER ran slower than 5:30 pace!
    Those of you with the latest edition of Noake's "Lore.." should read the Allen section - by the end of his career the same effort was giving him 5:20 pace!

To be continued...
  • Options
    Consider a column (like in a bar chart) with the top part shaded red (anaerobic) and the lower part shaded blue (aerobic). The height of the column represents speed. Your running performance is a combination of your anaerobic (red) and aerobic (blue) fitness. The anaerobic fitness can be gained quickly (some say as little as 4 weeks), is limited in its scope, can be maintained with far less, but goes quickly when stopped. The aerobic fitness takes much longer to come (most estimate 6-10 years to maximise it), is almost unlimited in scope (records keep being broken), can be easily maintained and takes much longer to disappear.

The girl in my above example has a column that is more red than blue. Where does she go from there to improve? Faster reps? Work harder? She has almost maxed the limits of her anaerobic capacity and will only break herself down further.

The key to LONG TERM progress is to build that blue section to your column, year after year. If you are new to running or have never done much mileage then that can easily be built by plodding out a "steady" pace and increasing mileage. When that blue section gets bigger, you need to work right at the top of your aerobic range to raise what Gravy refers to as vLT (velocity @ Lactate Threshold) and build it bigger still.

Will anaerobic speed work make you faster quicker? Absolutely, but once you have done it, where do you go from there?
  • Options
    Interesting as always Pantman.

Can I ask over what time period you increased your pace from 10m/m to 6:20 m/m?

• Options
    2nd week of June to 1st week of October this year. But don't expect the same results from base training - that involved a loss of 4.5 stone or so..!
  • Options
    "Interesting as always Pantman."

Just showed that to my wife - her laughing was heard 5 miles away...

"Let's chat about HR and LT training, darling..." "YAWN!!!"
  • Options
    A weight loss like that might prove a problem as I weigh 11st 4 now.
  • Options
    I overheard my wife on the phone the other night ...

'... oh yes he's okay, he's running again and has learn't about some new training fad. He'll be back at the physio sooner or later'.

• Options
    maybe the atkins diet will help you Chip
  • Options
    Pantman - why don't you enter a Winter half and convince the doubters :)

Seriously though I do think you over simplify things by reducing them to the aerobic/anaerobic fitness - what about things like gains in running economy/muscle recruitment/neurological pathways not to mention Noakes' theories about changes in how our bodies store elastic energy etc. I know you are aware of all this having read around the subject - so don't you agree that it is possible that faster paced running may have benefits other than allowing finite gains in what you call anaerobic fitness? And this may account for why a lot of people do seem to lose speed after too long running relatively slowly and then fail to find it again by simply doing a few months of faster work ?

Also what distances are we talking about ? Would you say your theories apply down to say 5k ? Only I know a woman who is one of our top 1500m vets and I hoping to run cross country for England in her age group (I assume this is 4-5 miles - it may be less I suppose) and her training is nearly all eyeballs out stuff with one long run of an hour. Are you advocating base training purely for marathoners or is there a sliding scale whereby the base needed is less as the distance decreases?
  • Options
    Popsy, I will if injury permits... But BR, TT et al should be sufficient for now.

Granted my red/blue columns were a gross simplification, but illustrated a valid point well. I'm into Pose running, so efficiency and elastic energy is very much in my mind. Perhaps better to view the column as "potential speed" thus allowing for form?
    And indeed I agree with the "other benefits of faster paced running" which is why I have often referred to alactic speed work.

Yes, I would advocate a SIMILAR approach right down to 800/1500m.
  • Options
    A good aerobic is vital for anyone running 1500m upwards. Go back to Lydiard - he had Herb Elliot running 22m+ regularly during his base phase and the times he clocked back in the 60s still stand up well today. In 1973 Brendan Foster ran a 20miler seven days before breaking the world record for 3000m (7:35). A couple of years ago the great Irish miler Eamon Coghlan (sub-3:50) ran the New York Marathon - he said that he didn't find it too much of a problem as even when he was at his peak he used to 20miles every Sunday morning. Seb Coe was a bit of an exception in that he never ran mega-miles, although even he ran more than is often credited - often during the winter he would clock up around 90mpw. Steve Ovett won the inter-counties X/C title over 9miles (beating marathon man Steve Jones) and once ran a half marathon in 65mins 'just for fun' . The examples are endless. One problem our current top guys have is that they think 70mpw is a lot.
  • Options
    Sadly, or otherwise, I do find all this interesting.

I don't get much satisfaction out of my job these days as I've been doing it for 20 years, and I suppose keeping fit is effectively my hobby.

As I turned 40 earlier this year I wanted to re-visit my running PB's and hopefully rewrite them. To this end I bought the acknowledged literature and started to try and absorb it. Coincidentally, the BT thing kicked off on here and has added more grist for the mill.

I know it's not that important in the whole scheme of things, but I've found it interesting to know what's happening (or not) to my body. In my previous running incarantion I just went out and ran ... and then got injured.

My missus finds it completely uninteresting but I went out running with my 8 year old daughter yesterday for the fisrt, so I may have an ally at home in the coming years.

• Options
    Panticles, are you at home tonight (or another night this week) for a coach conference phone call?
  • Options
    Yep - tonight's OK. I think...
  • Options
    OK, will call when I get back from the gym (v tired, going to try x-trainer...) about 8.30????
  • Options
    PM - what sort of mileage (or hours per week if you prefer) were you doing between June and October?
  • Options
    Davros,
    Ran every day from day one - started with 1mile(10mile week?) and built up to about 45min-1hr a day, plus 20-30min jog (70-80 mile week). Mileage increase as much to do with speed increase though...
  • Options
    Ahhhhh!

Still haven't managed this base training every day yet at moment 4-5 days a week, did think of perhaps going out for a mile or so each day, then building up from there but didn't think i would get much benefit from running such a short distance

<<<Pammie waits with bated breathe for the response from her statement>>>
  • Options
    I'd run every day Pammie - it would get your body and mind used to the routine that every day contains a run.

As you say, it wouldn't take much out of you and then you can build it up gradually as you feel comfortable.

20 mins running is better than no running at all.
  • Options
    Gosh! You only had to wait 6 min..!

Ditto - if it gives little beenfit then it can do little harm - get the body used to daily runs...
    My 2p...
  • Options
    Gee thanxs BR will try that.
  • Options
    You to PM we were prob posting at same time.
  • Options
    pfft not much of a backlash is it? IDS could have done better?