Options

WDW Dopey Challenge...

Comments

• Options

Welcome.

Personally I am from the UK, also going solo.  Already booked the flight/hotel, 2 weeks at the Pop Century.  Going to Disney it up big time, and Harry Potter at Universal, even if it does feel weird.

Injury wise, I think I'm just going to play safe and have fun, I'm not overly fast or competitive.  Unlikely I'll try for a PB or anything.  5K and 10K will be just warm up runs, the Half I might go for (probably wont) and the Full I intend to just run/walk and get a lot of pictures.

Tour operators do seem the only choice if you really want the Dopey, but the Half/Mara/Goofy are still available if you can live with a bit less bling.  And they are supposed to be all new bling this year.

I don't know if I could share a room with someone I don't know VERY well.  Holidaying with a mate later this year and even though I've know him over 20 years I still want my own room image

It's fun to read the forums even if you are not running, it may give you some inspiration to sign up next time the applications go up.  It did for me when I was reading the 2013 goofy thread.

• Options

Hi Bullit,

Thanks for popping by to say hello! I probably cannot take that much time off work so will literally be there for the race weekend and a bit more. I don't get paid time off work.

I wanted to do the Dopey as its probably the only time in my life I'll do something so crazy - the race fees are eye-wateringly expensive though! I'm definitely not chasing a PB for this if I do. Just solely for fun - like really jog the 5 and 10ks, slow HM and run/walk M like yourself. Hopefully, I'll raise a bit of money for charity while I'm at it.

I might go for the Goofy in the end if Dopey proves too expensive. Your holiday sounds amazing!!!

• Options

Hi all,

Just wanted to say that I've booked my flights and accomodation and guaranteed entry for the Dopey Challenge 2014!

See you all there!

• Options

well done Newbie32 - you wont regret it image

• Options

Don't  worry about being on your own there will be thousands like you and you will make new friends its friendly first competitive second

• Options

Hi Slowfoot GoinG Goofy

i simply cannot wait!!!!!! it will be slow but hey I'm determined to have fun!!

• Options

What will everybodys tactics be for this? Im not talking about the running, but rather the daytime tourism bit. Im not sure that walking around theme parks for 7 hours a day is perfect preparation between events, but similarly you cant go all that way and just sit in your hotel between races.

Im thinking of hitting up the water parks during the race weekend, then doing the theme parks the following week. But will all that chlorine make my feet soft and more prone to blisters?!? What if I stub my toe somewhere?!? Do they hire mobility scooters to healthy, able-bodied, slightly concerned 32-year-olds?!?

• Options

I have been thinking about the amount of sightseeing I can do without ruining everything for a while now, and even asked the people in the 2013 thread.

My decisions.  In the run up to the expo/weekend, take it easy.  I do think walking (or should that be standing in queues?) around the parks, even for a LONG time, might be good for me.  I tend to take the taper a little too easy and feel "not ready" at the start line.

The weekend itself will be hard.  As you said, I don't want to be spending hours and hours in the resort room.  Chilling by the pool may help, but I've never been one to sit still for too long.  People in the other thread were talking about sit down things at Disney (Lion King show, Safari, Nascar ride-along).  I may also use those days to go to Cocoa Beach/Kennedy Space Centre, as it's quite a few miles sitting down in an air-con car.

And after the races.  Well, that all depends how much I've tortured my legs, and if they ever forgive me.  Hopefully, with the help of an ice bath, I will be able to hobble about later on Sunday, and get back to close to normal by Tuesday (Please).

As for water parks.  Just remember it will still be Winter, even if it might not be (too) cold.  I don't know if they have a closed season.  If not, I may check out some of the flume rides too.

• Options

Hi Gazza81,

I have limited time off work (arrive on 7th afternoon, leave 13th Jan evening) and I'm on my own so I'm just being realistic about what I can do in this time.

I'm planning to get a 4 day one-park-a-day pass just see as much as I can without being too knackered and maybe go to Universal Studios on the 13th Jan before heading home in the evening.

As for the run, I'm going to make full use of the 16 min / mile time limit to save my legs.

• Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

Quick bit of info. Last year the all the water parks in January were closed due to refurbishment but these can be checked nearer the time on the disney site for clarification.

And i can thoroughly recommend the Kennedy Space Center tour. Did that as well although i understand it should be even better next year due to one of the space shuttles being installed in a huge display hanger. Brilliant day out.

• Options

Just returned from the house of mouse and am  feeling inspired and ready to start training.    How is everyone else ?? 

• Options

Slowly getting hyped, it still seems a long way away.

Just about to start training in earnest.  Have been keeping it easy over the hot part of summer (3days running 3miles each, then a day for recovery).

Have been keeping an eye on the scene, checking rundisney's site, and still trying to decide what to do when not running or sleeping (still haven't decided fully).  Found out Typhoon Lagoon Waterpark IS still open though, Blizzard Beach is closed.

There are images of the medals out there now, they were on show over the weekend at the Disneyland half weekend.  Look quite cool, although a bit more just like medals.  It was cool when the Donald was in the shape of his head, now it's just a round medal with Donald on it.  I really like Dopey's though, I'm glad about that.

• Options

Im there in November first  Climate training !

• Options

Just checked the medals out - coolio stuff image. SGG hope the November weather is kind for your running. I'm sure it will be as the humidity shouldn't be too high.  Anyone thinking of following the Galloway Dopey training plan ??? ive downloaded it but not keen on doing the full  M distance in training !! 

• Options

I have downloaded it and been using it as a rough guide, got a few halfs planned for the next couple of months and going to walk/run the day before each to get used to running on consecutive days. Signed up for Portsmouth Coastal Marathon on 22nd December as my last big distance before tapering. Sounds mental using a marathon as a training run! 

• Options

impressive preparation BST ! 

• Options

When I started to work out a training schedule there weren't any Dopey ones to find.  So I am using a "self-modified" Hal Higdon Intermediate 2, as I read good things about it being good for Goofy.

Modified as I work a rotating shift so don't always have Sat/Sun off and don't really want to be doing 10/20 mile back to backs on a working weekend image

The only race I've signed up to during training is the Faversham 10K this Sunday.  I'm supposed to be doing 10miles but if I jog to it, run it, and jog back it should be about that.  I might have to add a few, as nothing is more motivating than a bit of bling.  That's why were Dopey, right? image

• Options

I'm loosely following the Galloway plan as well, though with lots of changes as I find races I want to run! I've got a couple of half marathons booked plus the Loch Ness marathon which I'm trying to work into the plan.

I was hoping to do the Liverbird Marathon on 31st Dec as my last long run but I'm worried now that it's too close to the Dopey. I guess I'll have to try a long run a week after Loch Ness and see what happens.

Bring on the bling image I can't wait for the races!

• Options

For anyone who hasn't seen the medals yet, a link to RunDisney twitter.  (who isn't looking at that though eh? )

https://twitter.com/runDisney/status/387318852163362816/photo/1

On a side note, I have now missed my last 2 long runs.  The weather was bad and I couldn't face the treadmill.

Also, anyone else find they are a lot slower on a treadmill?  I can run 8min/miles easy outside, but if I try to speed up the 'mill to that I can't keep up.  I end up about 10 min/mile on a 'mill.

• Options

I'm the same. My 5k treadmill time is 4 mins slower than outside - I've wondered if it might be calibration ?? 

• Options

I think it's normal for the calibration of treadmills to be off. When I used to use them I'd set the slope to 2 degrees, then just run until it felt about the right speed, then ran for the time I needed for the plan. The distance could be way off, but at least I knew I'd done (say) 45 mins at a reasonable pace when I was done.

Thanks for the pic of the medals Bullit. I'd not seen them in such a clear pic before. I'm going to need a bigger suitcase for all the swag image

• Options

I especially like the "inaugural" engraving on the Dopey medal. Makes it just that little bit more special compared to what they'll give out in future years. And if we receive the Dopey, Goofy and Marathon medals after the last race, then we'll all get that taste of what its like to be Chris Hoy draping numerous pieces of bling around his neck during the Olympics.

Except none of his say "inaugural"...! image

• Options

Oh, yes.  I WILL be trying to get a picture with Dopey wearing all six.

And the Minnie is inaugural too.  Not too easy to see, but it's just above the date at the bottom.

• Options

Did any of you that have been before take up the race retreat option? It seems quite expensive but was wondering if there is any great benefit in it? Any advice greatly appreciated thanks.

• Options

Hi BST.  We've done the past two goofy challenges and not paid for the retreat.  The value of it Depends on if you would take advantage of the breakfast and character photo ops ?

I guess if it was a cold raining morning it would be nice to have a warm base but if you drive in then you always have the car to wait in.

if money were no object I might consider it but I've seen video on you tube and it didn't look all that great value.    Hopefully someone else will respond saying how great it is, to balance the argument ......

• Options

Still not sure on the Retreat myself.  But I read a review that liked it.

http://www.runnersguidetowdw.com/to-race-retreat-or-not-race-retreat/

I might go for just the Marathon.  I will want to get back to the hotel after the half, ice bath and all that.

But it might be nice after the full to have a massage, breakfast, relax, and if very lucky might even have Dopey in there for photos.

It is a LOT of money though, even for just the 1 day, so I might just save it and hunt down Dopey during the following days.

• Options

Cheers guys, I'm gonna give it a miss I think. I can buy a hell of alot of food, and a massive umbrella just in case, and still have plenty of change from the £250 plus to spend in the bar afterwards! 

• Options

My thoughts exactly. After nearly

50 miles in four days I think a few will be in order image

• Options

I think my post marathon plan is to "retreat" to the hotel, get a massive pizza and a few beers from the All Star Sports resort food court, dangle my legs in a pool and partake in a few tinnies and a few slices of pepperoni!

All with 6 medals hanging around my neck (2 of which say "inaugural"!).

Thats my plan!

• Options

Sounds like a plan Gazza, I am staying at All Star Sports, maybe see you there!