Options

Walking a marathon is easier?

Comments

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

As soon as I stopped running yesterday, walking felt much more painful than the running had. I think even if many of the people walking at halfway should have put more training in (others may have been injured, ill, etc.), running as far as you can manage and then still having to walk miles for hours on top of that would be way harder for those people on the day than what I did.

Obviously putting in all the training beforehand was differently hard, but I still don't think walking all the way to the end to make sure you finish is taking the easy way out, which is what some people imply when they way it is 'easier'.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Oh, x-post. David will be able to tell us what walking a really long way when you've already run as much as you can manage feels like in a couple of weeks. 

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

but I bet if you grabbed 100 people at random today and asked half to run as far as they can and the other half to walk as far as they can, the walkers would be much slower but go much further.

• Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Having completed a 100km walk and also a multi day 270 mile walk, I will state that running is far harder.
    I did the 100km walk in about 21 hours - nothing spectacular, I was with a group of people. My legs have been more spent after any marathon (my times generally 3.15-4.00)

The multi day thing averaged a marathon a day, over hilly terrain (the Pennines) and I think we walked at about 2.5 mph, so 10+ hours a day. I have wondered whether running it would have been easier. Mentally I know it would have been, I would have done 3x9 miles stints of about 2hrs each. But, and here's the thing, I'm not convinced my legs would have recovered as quick or have been ready for a fresh onslaught day after day.

not sure how that helps, but just my take on it

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Okay, but if you grabbed 100 people at random and made them run for as long as they could and then told them they had to walk for two hours after that they'd be hobbling along with really sore feet.

Or describing how light and easy it felt, in David's version.

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

So Mikasa has decided to poke the bear now has she?

Brave choice!

Brave? Hardly, there's no need to be. You've started some good threads on the forum but it's going downhill very quickly. I think you should just stick to your own experiences (which seem to be few) when you give out your immature opinions. Maybe this marathon you're going to 'do' (note: not run) will give you bit more respect for the distance and for other people tackling it in their own ways. You need to learn to be a bit more humble and not so egocentric. Feeling for Jindalee for having to keep up with you..

• Options

I was just browsing through the latest edition of the Oxford English Dictionary and I found this:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Definition of David Falconer 3 (abr. DF3) (vulgar slang)

noun

a process whereby a behavior, that can function both to produce pleasure and to provide escape from internal discomfort, is employed in a pattern characterized by (1) recurrent failure to control the behavior (powerlessness) and (2) continuation of the behavior despite significant negative consequences (unmanageability)

verb

[with object] make (someone) a little angry; irritate:

the thread seems to have DF3'd mikasa

exclamation

used alone or as a noun or verb in various phrases to express annoyance, contempt, or impatience.

Fancy that!

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

literin - That would be painful, I agree. However, the fact that they can still walk but are unable to run any further suggests one is harder than the other right?

I was working on the basis of starting both disciplines evenly. It's not a fair test to ask someone how hard it is to walk after they have just run as far as they can.

In fact, I would argue that if you took a cross section of people who are able to walk, some wouldnt be able to run at all.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

WiB, okay, fair enough. Looking back to the original post it was about people who had walked 'the majority' of the race, some of whom would have planned to. But if they'd planned to they'd probably be people who couldn't run for whatever reason, and might therefore find it harder to walk than you or I might find it to run. And if they hadn't planned to, they'd have started off running and then walked, and the walking would be harder than normal walking.

Having thought about it, I've decided the easiest thing for a moderately well-trained person would be to jog the whole thing at recovery pace. Less time on feet than walking, less effort than running.

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    Perezoso wrote (see)

I was just browsing through the latest edition of the Oxford English Dictionary and I found this:

Definition of David Falconer 3 (abr. DF3) (vulgar slang)

noun

a process whereby a behavior, that can function both to produce pleasure and to provide escape from internal discomfort, is employed in a pattern characterized by (1) recurrent failure to control the behavior (powerlessness) and (2) continuation of the behavior despite significant negative consequences (unmanageability)

verb

[with object] make (someone) a little angry; irritate:

the thread seems to have DF3'd mikasa

exclamation

used alone or as a noun or verb in various phrases to express annoyance, contempt, or impatience.

Fancy that!

image  very good!

• Options
    I did the Gurkha trail walker last year, 62 miles non stop across the southdowns. Things I learn was that I was so glad I trained for it, my training walks were up to 12 hours walking. We saw many people struggling at 20 miles, over 400 people dropped out of the race. I found walking harder than running.

I will be completing my first marathon this year and I intend not to walk at all, if I want to walk I will do a walking event, I would be so disappointed in myself if I had to walk but that's just me,

I do the great south run every year and you get people walking that from the first mile!

The Gurkhas must have this running malarkey sorted as they hold the record for the 62 miles of very undulating terrain in 9 hours and 50 minutes!!!!!
  • Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    cowgirl668 wrote (see)
    I saw a chap walking & carrying an obviously very sick child at mile 23.

He was wearing a children with cancer vest.

That made me humble !

Is that an acceptable time to walk ?

Was that one entry or did they have a number each?

literatin wrote (see)

WiB, okay, fair enough. Looking back to the original post it was about people who had walked 'the majority' of the race, some of whom would have planned to. But if they'd planned to they'd probably be people who couldn't run for whatever reason, and might therefore find it harder to walk than you or I might find it to run. And if they hadn't planned to, they'd have started off running and then walked, and the walking would be harder than normal walking.

Having thought about it, I've decided the easiest thing for a moderately well-trained person would be to jog the whole thing at recovery pace. Less time on feet than walking, less effort than running.

The moral of the story appears to be that it will hurt if you go far enough without training, regardless of how you do it?

• Options
    Mikakasa- How's it going Agent Starling?
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    WiB wrote (see)

The moral of the story appears to be that it will hurt if you go far enough without training, regardless of how you do it?

It hurts anyway image.

• Options
    If DF3 was posting with a sick child on his lap would his comments be more acceptable?

What a ridiculous thing to say that walking is okay because someone was carrying a kid who looked poorly
  • Options

but if you walk you hurt for longer than if you runimage

• Options
    Nothing on here is necessary and nothing is called for. The world will still turn without this thread.
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Zoe Windsor - that was the 100km thing I did (albeit a number of years ago now).
    Think we took ~21 hours, I found it far easier than running a marathon tbh. It was arguably more of a wander than a brisk walk though...

• Options
    Dustin must be the same, we did petersfield to Brighton racecourse, physically I found it ok and we came in as a team, had blisters under toenails something I have never had from running!

I wonder if people only walk at large major events?
  • Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    cowgirl668 wrote (see)
    WiB - that was uncalled for & unnecessary.

Are you just being offended by proxy? I would be interested what is wrong with the question.

Also, I am not sure what the point you were trying to make was with it anyway.

• Options

Marathons are running races, people should aim to set out and be running most of it. If you havent done the training, don't do it. It is kind of ridiculous to do a marathon without having done 5k, 10k and a half marathon previously aswell as these prove that you are able to run and will enjoy the experience more.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I've never done a 10k. Still enjoyed my marathon though.

• Options
    Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

That's not true. Marathons are 'foot races' as are 5k, 10k and hm's. There's nothing to say that they are 'running' races. Check out the rules. Race for life are not running races and there are marathons that 'allow' joggers because they are for walkers. Beachy Head can be walked 'jogged' or run. you enter as you want to complete.

You do not have to prove yourself in other races to show that you can run a marathon. Very many people, including myself, start running because they want to run a marathon. Just because you've never run a 5k race or 10k or hm doesn't mean you can't run a marathon. Just beacause you haven't run them doesn't mean you wont enjoy the experience as much as if you had.

DF3 you going to pull out of this marathon because you haven't done the training and may have to walk part of it? I doubt it. I'd actually like to stop and walk bits just to take in the views.

I ran VLM all the way and can hardly remember much of it at all. That wasn't much fun.