Options

P&D Autumn Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Nooooooo! I've got a PLAN and it is to get faster at 10ks and half marathons and then do VLM again next year, but quicker.

So I'll be needing a dog with slightly longer legs to come out training with me.

• Options
    Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

Lit don't be fooled by long legs I have a greyhound - laziest dog in the world image

5.5 easy run yesterday followed by a 10 mile hike around the West Sussex countryside - calves feel a bit battered today, but will be heading out for a run shortly. At the moment i am forcing porridge down my neck - can't bloody stand the stuff but am making a (shit) attempt to start fuelling properly.....may have to look at other alternatives though!

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Morning Lisa, I'm having a cereal bar and a glass of diluted orange juice; that'll be more than enough to get me round 13-ish miles.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

My 16 mile run yesterday was without any breakfast beforehand. Infact there is an argument that you should do some of your mid/long runs carb depleted so to make your body more efficient at using whatever glycogen it has left a better fat burner. Saying that, with 20+ mile runs I would probably have a breakfast beforehand.

Also...you don't have to eat porridge, any breakfast which you are used to will do. Personally I really like porridge. Crumpets this morning though. Yum.

• Options

I eat porridge on week days but not at the weekend as I'm really not that keen on it. I fuelled all my long runs with wholemeal toast and honey. Yummmmm

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

yeah, breakfast is overrated image

I do my midweek running at 4:30 am (don't ask) so inevitably the runs are on empty. If I have a speed session I will force a cup of coffee down and maybe half a banana. Tried gels too, but only once image

15w: Your dog sounds like a bargain at 5 quid image. What breed is it?

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

4:30am! image No, I wouldn't have breakfast then either. I don't actually have it for the running fuel, more just because if a run is going to take a while and I'm not starting that early I'll be hungry.

• Options

I did 13 in the hills today, up onto the Offas Dyke, great run.  Went out early and it was very quiet, just a hanful of walkers and a few runners.  Breakfast, I tend to have porridge wth banana or a yogurt and a glass of water.  But on some medium/long I have gone without because of the reason 15W mentioned.  I run with my dog often, she is a Husky and she is brilliant to run with, use the proper dog running harness & belt.  

• Options
    Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

I generally don't eat breakfast (hence my struggle), but if i do it is just a slice of rye toast with peanut butter along with a nice strong coffee. So glad to hear that it is overrated and that I no longer have to try and force it down my throat now that I am a marathon runner to be image - fecking awful stuff.

Snap craig I also ran 13 miles this morning, lovely to be out in the sun - lots of cyclist around my way today as there was some sort of event on.

Chick 04.30hrs ouch!

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I only ran 12.21 miles, but pleasingly this brought my total for the year up to exactly 1000.00 miles. I am enjoying the temporary beauty of the lovely round number until tomorrow morning. image

• Options

Congrats Literatin,  nice yearly total - I can only aspire to somewhere near that one day.

15.5 miles done today - My first 50+ mile week ever and if I manage another one I'll hit 1000 miles run (since I started running on and off 3 years ago - only 393 this year so far).  Nice weather but too hot - I could have done with taking some money to stop at a shop image

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Daeve - most of it is doing P&D for VLM, so you'll probably get there sooner than you think if you use the schedule.

Am thinking I might as well just stop until 1 Jan 2014 since it's such an attractive total. image

• Options

Weekend away for me, so started Saturday and today with nice 8 and 9 milers in the sunshine.  They were the first runs for my new trainers, can't beat the bouncy feeling of new shoes! I don't eat if I'm running before an early shift, have to be finished by 6 so just grab a quick coffee before falling out the door.  However, I have to have porridge before a long run and eat it after my early runs.  I love the stuff, even eat it after evening training sometimes.

15W, glad your dog had a good day out in time, and just being "a bit mental" it probably did better than some adults out in the sunshine over the weekend!

Literatin, nice total - you never know, you might finish the year on exactly 2000.

• Options

20 miles this morning for me and it was awful! image One of my worst long training runs ever.  Oh well, not every run can be a good one.

Reducing mileage this week, partly for a rest after a few hard weeks but also because I have a couple of races planned!! A 4 miler on Wednesday and a 10km on Saturday. Don't think either of those are in the P&D schedule. I'm such a rebel!image

Oh, and I never eat breakfast before a morning training run. I have to have at least 3 hours between eating and running otherwise I feel like this image!

• Options

3 miles for me this morning after having a full week off since Edinburgh. Legs still felt heavy but then I was trying to maintain sub 8.30 min miles despite the complete lack of need for me to be doing so! 

Its the inner competitor... 

I didn't eat any thing 3 hours before Edinburgh and I felt great. i heard it on a podcast that you should leave 3 hours for your insulin levels to rebalance. 3 hours and 10 minutes before I was eating porridge with a sliced banana, yum! 

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

ACP - what went wrong with your long run? Maybe you should have had some breakfast beforehand?! That will make you stonger though - better to have a bad run today than in 18 weeks. Good luck with your races. My schedule starts today...I have moved everything back a day at moment so my long run falls on a saturday. So - today is a LT run, 9mi with 4 @ LT. Going to be warm this week so I expect I'll be a bit red faced and sweaty after that one.

• Options

Morning everyone

ACP I'd also be intrigued as to why you had a bad run. I'm a long way off a 20miler yet and I''m petrified!

15West - I'm doing the same.  My club train on a Monday and I'd hate to miss it, so will be doing my LT run 8mi with 4 @ LT with them today. Might have to tag a couple of miles warm-up first though as our runs tend to only be about 6miles long.

Good luck to everyone else starting their schedules today, run well!

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Morning all. Today is my first day of training for Chester following the withdrawal from Manchester due to ITB issues. Still not fully recovered and not sure if I will be able to achieve my first medium long run of 14 miles on Saturday due the the recent lack of running. I've also not done much running in the warm weather so that will be a shock to the system.

Best of luck with the training everyone

• Options
    andrews148andrews148 ✭✭✭

Day 1 of my 18/70 plan for the Jersey Marathon on 6th October.

A rest day image

• Options

15W/Tiny runner - just one of those days I think. From about mile 8 my legs just didn't want to work any more! It was tough getting back home!image I'd done an 18mile run with 8 at MP the week before and that was great - maybe doing 20 the week after was asking too much, or the cycling I'm having to do because the car is still poorly, or the extra miles pushing the buggy round the park run every week, or getting up ridiculously early in the middle of the week, or not having breakfast first (definitely not that one!image). Who knows...?! Like you say, better now than in 18 weeks and you can't feel great in every training run.

I also usually do my long run on a Saturday so I know it's 'done' but the parkrun keeps getting in the way! Maybe that was another reason for the terrible run.

Good luck to everyone who starts their schedules today particularly if it's a rest day!image

Recovery run AND core strength exercises done this morning! imageimage

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Sounds like just one of those days acp. You're doing a lot of running at moment, so make sure you are fuelling well, sleeping well, and recovering well between sessions otherwise you're going to knacker youself.

• Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

ACP- its very early to be going 20 so dont stress it, they aint supoosed to be easy but will get better. It is also very early to be doing 18 with 8 at MP. You are obviously in real good nick, but marathon training is ,errr,  a marathon not a sprintimage. Just make sure you dont peak too soon but I want to hit my next Marathon training session from a decent base like you.

• Options

Mennania - I don't think I ever 'peak'  - early or late! image But I am very conscious of wearing myself out or getting injured if I do too much so I need to listen to what my body is telling me - something I'm not particularly good at! I was just determined that this time round I was going to start off with a decent base, which I think I've achieved, and not just do the minimum number of long runs because I think it's my endurance (lack of!) which has let me down in previous marathons.

• Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Well it wont this time if you carry on like you are!

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

20 already, acp image   good grief! Don't worry though - some of them are bound to be shit and some hurt more than others. The good ones make you forget the bad ones pretty quick image

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Just back from my LT run and found it flipping hard. Nearly gave up after 3rd mile but kept going...slowed a bit I think. Was trying to keep to 6 minute miles; stuck a hill in the middle which was maybe a bit of a mistake, and was really huffing and puffing towards the end. Also...loads of blooming flies out there today - swallowed a few of the little buggers.  And someone stopped me to ask directions! - couldn't he tell I was in the middle of a very important tempo run. I told him that I couldnt' stop as I was  trying to maintain my lactate threshold pace, could he not tell I was an elite runner for gods sake! Actually I just told him to turn right further up and follow the path to the park.

• Options

How normal is awareness of your legs when you up the mileage?  I'm in uncharted territory now distance wise, 50+/wk - no pain as such, not even really an ache - but I can tell that my legs are not normal, a bit energy lacking, maybe slight tingling (or in my mind).  Each run ok (all at GA for now), no issues moving around at home or work up/downstairs - but I want to make sure if I do get a "niggle" I ease off sooner ratherthan later.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Daeve - just keep monitoring the situation...part of the skill of marathons is knowing your body and when to take it easy to prevent injuries. If your legs are just simply aching etc; this is normal as there will be lots of micro damage to the muscles which will be repairing themselves and adapting. If you have no issues moving round etc, no acute pains, then sounds like just normal wear and tear from the increased mileage...you'll just have to get used to it. A few things to remember though:
    - Stretching really helps, so stretch properly both after runs and at other times.
    - Occasionally do some leg muscle building, squats etc; and also some core work.
    - Run those recovery runs SLOW- you could try the cold bath after a run...does help I think.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Haha, I wondered how long it would be before the cold baths made a re-appearance! (They do help, though). Daeve, if you just feel weak rather than achey, are you sure you're eating enough to compensate for all the extra running?

• Options

Well the weight is creeping up by a Kg in the last week (on average) so I'm not sure that's it - but I'll keep an eye on it thanks. image  Sounds like I'm just getting used to it all!