Options

P&D Autumn Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Options

Debutant is next to race! Well done Runnyk and commiserations HeOw, bloody massage/shagging/rodents! 

Debutant - Chicago - Oct 13th 3:10 

TR85 - York - Oct 20th 3:45   Bib number 1858

M.arkF - Strasbourg - Oct 27th - 3:15

Shazmo (again) - Dublin - Oct 28 - to run an evenly paced race, post Ultra 

Velloo - Nice - Nov 10th 3.15

• Options
    ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭
    Lol, I missed the shagging and rodents comments earlier....the things they get up to in Helsby these daysimage (Ex Frodsham girl, me)
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Woah. Chicago. Glamorous. Debutant - where are you? How's it going??

• Options

I'm here and nearly all packed as i fly out early Thursday morning from Heathrow. got in 7miles with 2@MP earlier and like the boys last week those 2 miles were tough!!
    A bit of a panic attack earlier as i just read there is a tunnel at mile one and GPS's lose signal for a while so im just going to have to stick with the 3:10 pacer. Was thinking of getting a foot pod but think its too late to go messing with it now.
    Forecast for Sunday is changing by the hour but the latest is Thunderstorms!
    Lit especially for you as you are the stalker here
    https://register.athletetracking.net/bacm/index.html
    I'm Bib number 3802
    Name: Kieran Santry

Not sure if you can use the above outside the USA but if not you can get the info directly from the website: http://www.chicagomarathon.com/

Im making your stalking way to easy!!
    Don't forget the time different, the race starts at 7:30am Chicago time, i'm in corral B so should cross the start line within a few minutes.
    Updates @10k, 20K Half way, 30k and  40k
    Target is to cross half way as close to 1:34:00 as i can

Target is 3:10 but i feel i'm around 3:15+
    Current PB is 3:20:13

• Options

I don't know why I seem to have got this reputation for stalking. image

Good luck Debutant!

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

They have a 3.10 pacer?!

Some people use the lap function on their watches but you have to keep pressing it every mile or something...never tried it myself.

Good luck Debutant. Try and get as much rest between now and race day as you'll have jetlag etc to contend with. I have been to Chicago, a long time ago now, but remember it being a very nice city.

• Options

Bad luck HeOw.  Good luck Debutant.

P&D allows me to go out for a run tonight. Hurray.  (don't tell them that I sneaked out for the gentlest of miles last night)

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

No way I could even contemplate running at the moment.

• Options

Ooh good luck Debutant, thanks for the stalker info. 

I'm going to make a plea to you guys too - I've been selected as a finalist for the Yorkshire marathon's 'Do the Y' competition.  All you have to do is head to their facebook page and 'like' my photo.  If any of you can help me out, that would be much appreciated! Thanks to those of you that already have image

• Options

Which one are you Tiny?

Good luck Debutant, look forward to hearing about your Chicago experience. 

Had a very lackluster 11 mile run this morning, didn't have a cup of tea before the run and I think that affected me. I'm still experiementing with race nutrition and haven't decided on a final plan yet. On the course they are giving out water, coke and fruit, and an unnamed sports drink at 2 points. On the plus side I ate a full cooked breakfast before my last 10k race and my stomach didn't complain so hopefully it will cope with most things.

• Options

Mine's photo number 3 - I'm wearing the black and white club vest - same as in my profile pic on here image

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Velloo - Well..obviously you need to make sure you have a cup of tea pre-race! Not sure about cooked breakfast...you need carbs, not fat/protein. Just eat about 3 hours before if you can. Are you going to use gels, or just rely on what is provided?

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

and...can you get a decent cup of tea in Nice?!

• Options

Tiny I've voted for you, good luck!

15W I will be taking Tetley tea bags with me! The cooked breakfast was just an experiment in how much abuse my stomach could take - I'll be eating bread before the marathon. I'm going to take gels with me and sweets. The problem I've had with gels is getting them open, so the sweets will be a back up. This weekend and next I'm going to practise some race nutrition strategies.

• Options

velloo - apologies if obvious, but when I was having trouble getting gels open I noticed someone on the forums suggested just getting a pair of scissors and slightly enlarging the little slit on each side of the bit you tear off. No problems since then.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

I had a bit of an accident with a gel on sunday and squirted a fair amount all over my face.

• Options

HeOw,  may I join your mara mofo group please? I'm Steve Andrews.

• Options

Thanks for the well wishes, off to bed before my early flight. Not sure if i will get much of a chance to be on here before Sunday so thanks for all the support over the last few months.

Oh Literatin dont worry about the
     ''unwritten forum rule of not reporting on other people's races before they do''
    stalk and  report away, heading to Vegas for a few days afterwards so will do a race report at some stage but might take a few days!!

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

"heading to Vegas for a few days afterwards"

How the other half live eh?! Hope all goes well Debutant...and the windy city is not too windy!

• Options

Best of luck Debutant, you've given us permission to stalk and talk about your race!

lit - yes scissors might be the way to go. 15w I managed to cover myself in sticky sports drink on my last LSR, like a total dingle I started to run with an open bottle strapped to my back. 

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Morning. There is a real technique to getting those gels open...you should practice a few times. I just rip...sometimes it's successful, sometimes not...if not I have to finish off with my teeth....grrrring while I do it.

Have just entered Helsby Half. Hopefully weather will be kinder and it will go ahead.

• Options
    ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭
    Yes best of luck, Debutant.

Love Helsby HM - my old stomping ground image

Managed a steady 9 miler last night - first time I felt anything like back to normal after my Fell Ultra antics the other week. I think that's mostly because I've not been fuelling and hydrating properly rather than post race fatigue. This past couple of day I've made sure I've eaten and drank and last night I felt OK. Still not sure how I will fair/fare(?) at Dublin in a couple of weeks. I'm going to try a longish MP run on Friday - it will be the first one I've done because (for the fell race) I have been concentrating on time on feet rather than speed during long runs. My MP for this one is nowhere near as fast as MP I did on Manchester, around 25 secs/mile slower I reckon.
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

This is fairly amusing.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Ok P&D people...looking round at different schedules and stuff and came across Mike Gratton's plan on this website - lots of double days...

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/racing/grattons-hard-marathon-training-schedules/2126.html

• Options
    SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭

15West - Crikey!!  My friends (including runners) think P&D 18 weeks up to 55 miles is pretty hard core and that I'm pretty keen.  I think I'll show that to some of them!

I could probably do the morning sessions, as I like getting up early, well dislike it less than most!  I don't see how I could fit all the evening sessions in.

I wonder if he has a post-marathon recovery plan?

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

I'd run to and from work if I didn't have to carry my laptop.

• Options
    SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭

15West - If your laptop is not too heavy why not get a running rucksack?  I find I just carry far too much in my rucksack to run with it, but if I could cut it down to just a laptop then I could.  Sadly running to and from work is a bit of a problem for me, since it's 35 miles.  Nothing for Mike Gratton, I dare say, but a bit much for me!

There is another problem with Mike's plan.  How did he find enough time to eat all the necessary food?

• Options

Starting to obsess about race day weather already.......15mph winds.  Of course the forecast could change considerably before then - here's hoping!  The next 9 days are going to drag............

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Tiny - if you want to obsess about the weather you could follow this forum thread...a bunch of weather freaks obsessing about different forecasting model outputs.

netweather

Going to get real wet next week. York still too far away for any accuracy. If it is windy, and being that you are so tiny...just get yourself in the middle of a crowd.