Options

P&D Autumn Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Options
    ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭
    Tiny, don't worry - my first marathon was VERY wet and windy but I did much better than I thought I would do. You'll be just fine, just concentrate on staying fit and healthy for the next 9 days and the training will take care of itself come race day. It's just another MPR, remember! image
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Agreed. Unless it's really extreme, a bit of cold wind and rain is ok. But, afterwards make sure you get changed into dry clothes quickly and get warm.

Anyway, it will be perfect.

• Options
    SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭

Tiny - I don't know how much running in bad weather you've done, but what 15 says "afterwards make sure you get changed into dry clothes quickly and get warm" is absolutely right.  The only times I've felt ill after a race ** are where I've failed to do this.  It's really important, and the thinner you are the more important it is.

** I'm excluding occasions when I've drunk some red wine in the evening after a race!

• Options

Top advice above, thanks everyone image.  Will be sure to have a towel and a change of clothing in my bag. I'm feeling much calmer about everything now.  I've trained and raced in some pretty awful conditions so trying not to stress about it.  Took part in a little race this morning but just jogged round and enjoyed myself, didn't let myself go quicker than marathon pace at any point.

You're quite right Shazmo, next week is just one more MPR (with a nice shiny medal at the end).

I'm going to try and have a low carb diet on Mon-Wed and then carb load Thurs-Sat.  Going to drink lots of water all week and get as much sleep as I can.  

Hope Debutant is feeling alright all the way over in Chicago.

How's everyone's recovery going for those of you that did Chester?

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

That low carb diet thing might make you feel pretty crap Tiny. I would be careful trying out new things.

Recovery for me going very well. Haven't ran at all yet. Been to gym a few times, quite amazing how weak in everything but running I've become. Nice to be getting drunk on a sat evening and not have to worry about tomorrow's long run.

Yes, Good luck tomorrow Debutant incase you're reading this...will try and find coverage on the internet.

• Options

17 miles today, I have mastered opening gels while moving! 

It's almost time for Debutant's race, hope it all goes to plan.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Missed Chicago this afternoon as I was out - but sounds like a fast race at the front.

Looked up Debutant....but not allowed to say what happend...(but I think he'll be pleased).

• Options

No, he said we were allowed.... image

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Oh. Ok...all here

3.08.46...think he was aiming for sub 3.10. Ran a pretty even paced race by the look of it. Well done Debutant! image

• Options

He said he was aiming for 3:10 but only thought he was in 3:15 shape, and his PB was more like 3:20! So that's more like imageimageimage

• Options
    ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭
    Yay, well done Debutant!!! Hope he's got his feet up now and having a well earned pint of something image
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

If only I can find out what he'll be getting up to in Las Vegas too...

• Options
    SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭

Well done Debutant, that looks a perfect race!

• Options

Great stuff Debutant! What a memorable trip!

• Options

Woop, congrats Debutant! imageimageimage.  What a fantastic time, bet he'll be well chuffed image

• Options

Great stuff Debutant.

• Options

Can't wait to start P&D again. Lesson learned, I need a plan...   Dithering over doing the Rivington marathon in 3 weeks which is a twat of a race.  Did Leicester yesterday in 4:04 (as Literatin and Tiny know) as penance for DNF'ing at Chester and felt I had to re my kids sponsorship at school for their school iPad fund (parents were sponsoring me to run Chester to help with the fund, you can imagine my delight to inform them all I only did 16 miles...).  Started off at 9:10 pace yesterday and just kept at it but over final few miles, it goes uphill and was struggling.  Made me realise that even when you aren't going out for a PB (which I never was after groin issue), the final 4-5 miles are still very hard of a marathon.  However the first 21 miles were a jog!  Bollocks to 'it's a 20 mile warm up with 10k race'', it is a race from the off and if you want to smash PB, you have to hit the pace from mile 1 and pray you hang on.  I really thought I would be able to ramp up at mile 20 yesterday but the distance hit me. The longer you are time on feet, tougher it gets.  However, aim was to finish for the kids, which I did.  Leicester marathon is dire though.

Well done to Debutant.

Tiny, do not even stress re weather, you will be fine, you cannot change it.  Was windy and wet yesterday, didn't make a jot of difference and far easier than the warmer weather at Chester.  

• Options

I always thought that '20 mile warm-up' line was just something you said to people to stop them overcooking the first 10 miles and messing up their whole race, not that you were meant to believe they were really going to speed up after mile 20.

Also: well done HeOw - I think that is what I meant to say when I actually said you were a fucking nutcase. Hope the hips/pelvis/etc. feel okay today.

Actually your race experience with last few miles reminds me of doing the Belper 30k on a whim a little while ago - I was thinking '18.xx miles at easy pace: piece of piss' completely forgetting I hadn't run more than 13 miles since VLM. I had thought I could blast the last couple of miles which are all on road, but had forgotten my legs might be a bit tired by then.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Well done HeOw. You did good. Are you signing up for any spring marathons? You doing Helsby half? Back on the P&D train?

I think the 20mi warm up thing is just cause the last 6miles are so hard compared to the first 20. Don't think you're actually supposed to jog the first 20 and spring the last 6!

• Options

No, but lots of people say 'just take it easy at first, you can always speed up later'...

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

I think good to run a bit slower for first mile or so...just to warm up.

• Options
    That's what I mean, it should be "easy" for first 20, so say a lot of people. It shouldn't. I think if you're blowing by mile 8, you're fucked but miles 13-20 should be getting tough shouldn't they? Then last 6 is hang on. It was just huge eye opener for me. I actually honestly thought I'd be able to ramp up! Ha ha! Sucker. I weren't arsed re time, I just wanted it done but was a big lesson re how to run best time.

15W, Manchester again for me. Did I say I wouldn't do it again? Well, I'm a liar... Yes, P&D. Will decide re Rivington in week or so. Might be better just doing some short runs for a few weeks and focus on strength work and get my LT pace feeling comfy. Do no more than 35 miles a week then start 33-55 in Dec. what about you?

Literatin, I love you called me crazy fucker! Compliment. I've deactivated for few weeks though, had FB burn out. Be back though.
  • Options

Well, don't leave it too long cos now your group doesn't have an admin (not volunteering) and people can't update the race list.

• Options
    Christ it's not like being President of Uganda, someone can bloody do it! It's only case of accepting new members.
  • Options

They're all panicking. I will go on and tell them you are busy being President of Uganda.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

London for me again HeOw. So...like you will be base building till mid December before 18wk schedule starts again. I am probably doing 55 to 70 schedule this time...although still uncertain. Also toying with just making up my own, although tried that last time and it ended up looking just like P&D.

• Options

Tell them I am busy slaughtering young women and children. 

• Options

15W - ha, my own plan ended up pretty much err, carbon copy too!  Will follow 33-55 and be fucking glad if I actually manage a minute PB! 

• Options

Christ, I have left FB to come on here and talk to faceless souls. image

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

I would join your FB thing but I don't do FB. I prefer to be faceless.