Options

PSOF Championships 2014 - Ironman France

Comments

• Options

ok just looked at those downhills in the video and there seems to be a big drop on the side of the road imageimage..not my kind of race

• Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭

there's no reason why IM France couldn't be a non-wetsuit swim - all depends on conditions leading up to the event.  I think the water in 2008 was 20/21C so getting close to the cut-off limit but afaik it's never been called as a non-wetsuit swim though

• Options

If you're looking for  a flat course, maybe we could try this one:

/members/images/450712/Gallery/Brazil.JPG

Yep, thats a maximum of 60m climb compared to Miridaor del rio at 800m!!

• Options

*just cos I is bored, innit*

Participants:
    Barley
    Blisters
    funkin
    Garr
    GingerG
    Higher Leap
    Hope
    Jamie Tardi
    Little Sister
    MedicGirl
    OrangeCannon
    Raf

Headcount - 12

• Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭

Raf - check out the IM Florida bike profile.....flatter than a witch's tit....image http://www.ironman.com/~/media/a164598d8aab447ab4682c1b4659dbdf/floridapcb%20bikeelevation%202012.pdf   the biggest climb is a bridge - on way out and back

and I think the run at Florida has a 2m elevation change across the distance

• Options

That is a little flatter! The one I posted is for Brazil ....... not that i've been looking at it image

But did come across this, for those who did Lanza and were thinking Nice would be easier image:

Elevation Gain in feet for IM bike

1. France 11193
    2. Lanzarote 10282
    3. Lake Placid 7911
    4. Austria 7829
    5. Australia 7659
    6. Louisville 7578
    7. Switzerland 7505
    8. Wisconsin 7353
    9. Canada 6719
    10. Coeur D’Alene 5851
    11. Brazil 5419
    12. Germany 5281
    13. S. Africa 5182
    14. Hawaii 4554
    15. Arizona 3824
    16. W. Australia 2538
    17. Florida 2007

• Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭

no Wales or IMUK on that list - I think IMW would be in the top 5 but it's key difference isn't so much the length of the hills but the sheer volume of the buggers - if you ain't going up, you're going down, very few flat bits.  and 2 of the steepest buggers on the circuit at 17%.

• Options

The big climb is at 60k tho ... so you'll still be fresh (maybe dead by the top tho)... and from 125k its down hill

Anyone know if there is a campsite handy for IM France (suitable for motorhomes)?

• Options

The hill went on and on and on for sure but nothing too outrageous, most of us I believe forgot about the nasty little bugger that happened after it tho   image

• Options

Looks like Germany's the nearest (therefore the cheapest) and most suitable for hill phobics ... better start saving ... image

Handy list, FB - ta!

• Options

Participants:
    Barley
    Blisters
    Cupcake
    funkin
    Garr
    GingerG
    Higher Leap
    Hope
    Jamie Tardi
    Little Sister
    MedicGirl
    OrangeCannon
    Raf

Headcount - lucky 13

• Options

Participants:
    Barley
    Blisters
    Cupcake
    funkin
    Garr
    GingerG
    Higher Leap
    Hope
    Jamie Tardi
    Little Sister
    MedicGirl
    Meldy
    OrangeCannon
    Raf

Headcount - lucky 14

Fingers crossed and all that !!!

• Options

For those that were wondering .....  quoted from TriTalk September last year

Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject:   mrdee wrote: Phil T wrote: Any idea when this race will sell out?

it hardly ever does there are 3000 places avaliable and at the moment around 900 registered..so plenty of time..i would register before 31st december though as the price increases then

Thanks, only need another month before I can enter

Bearing in mind that was last year for this years race things may change ...

• Options

Just had a run through the tripey thread and it was called as sold out by 10th jan for this year's event, though once people hear the ship is sailing it may be quicker this time around!!

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    fat buddha wrote (see)

Raf - check out the IM Florida bike profile.....flatter than a witch's tit....image http://www.ironman.com/~/media/a164598d8aab447ab4682c1b4659dbdf/floridapcb%20bikeelevation%202012.pdf   the biggest climb is a bridge - on way out and back

and I think the run at Florida has a 2m elevation change across the distance

When I visited Florida a local told me that if you were going uphill, it meant you were on the on-ramp to the freeway.

• Options
    Cupcake. wrote (see)

Just had a run through the tripey thread and it was called as sold out by 10th jan for this year's event, though once people hear the ship is sailing it may be quicker this time around!!

So it really takes about 6 months to sell out then?

• Options

Somehow I have managed to print the elevation profile for the bike course (p3).  The final climb (Cote du Broc) climbs 60m over 2km- but it's marked as a rather challenging 72%, think I might be slipping some crampons into the special needs bag.

• Options
    M...eldy wrote (see)

For those that were wondering .....  quoted from TriTalk September last year

Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject:   mrdee wrote: Phil T wrote: Any idea when this race will sell out?

it hardly ever does there are 3000 places avaliable and at the moment around 900 registered..so plenty of time..i would register before 31st december though as the price increases then

Thanks, only need another month before I can enter

thats very good news* - thanks Melds image

(I appreciate this is second hand advise and circumstance may change image )

• Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    WildWill..... wrote (see)

Anyone know if there is a campsite handy for IM France (suitable for motorhomes)?

WW - there aren't any campsites handy at all.  we looked into this when we went down in 2008 - the nearest campsite is about 20km out of the city centre and we worked out that to get to the start we'd need to be up at stupid o'clock and have to rely on a taxi turning up at some silly arse hour to get us there.   add in all the faff to get back after the race; getting racked the day before, it was too much hassle so we flew and stayed in the Ibis with the rest of the pirates instead.

• Options

Meant to be taking the family away for Mrs Jaffa's big birthday......wonder if a few days in the South of France would be appropriate?

• Options
    IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)
    SossigeDog wrote (see)

Loads of people i know have calf injuries at the minute.

touch wood, i think mine is starting to get better. Didnt hurt as much coming downstairs this morning image

Good to hear. I had 2 weeks off running, but turbo'd hard the first week. I couldn't believe that after 1 day I could walk normally first thing. Then after 1 5km run I'm doing the robocop mince straight out of bed. How is this fun?

fat buddha wrote (see)

WW - there aren't any campsites handy at all.  we looked into this when we went down in 2008 - the nearest campsite is about 20km out of the city centre and we worked out that to get to the start we'd need to be up at stupid o'clock and have to rely on a taxi turning up at some silly arse hour to get us there.   add in all the faff to get back after the race; getting racked the day before, it was too much hassle so we flew and stayed in the Ibis with the rest of the pirates instead.

Cheers ...  i'll have to look into dog freindly hotels then .... is Im to do it ... which is not yet decided ... as i'm supposed to be having a year off 

• Options
    fat buddha wrote (see)

Cheers ...  i'll have to look into dog freindly hotels then .... is Im to do it ... which is not yet decided ... as i'm supposed to be having a year off 

Looks like most the Ibis hotels are dog friendly

• Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭

WW - I think you'll find most French hotels aren't so far up their arses about dogs as the Brits are.  if you can take your dog to a restaurant as seems to be the norm in France - then I can't see a hotel being so much of a problem.  

• Options

I'd say they need to be more afraid of drunken humans than anything a dog may do...

• Options

Last time the Pirates were in Nice we literally drank the bar dry. Proud moment that was image

• Options
    Hope wrote (see)

Last time the Pirates were in Nice we literally drank the bar dry. Proud moment that was image

Mmmmmm..perhaps I need to switch my training focus then image

• Options

I can do the drinking.... It's biking up hills I struggle with 

• Options
    Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

I can do the drinking.... It's biking up hills I struggle with 

I cant go up or down hills. I am a good drinking partner.