Options

Simple Training Forumla, would it work?

Comments

• Options

I'll be doing my 5.5km ER tonight whatever the weather as I'm not a big fannyimage

• Options

JJ, that's fine - the easy run is the best one to drop this week.

Ben - slow down.

• Options

shocking weather again but couldnt afford to miss two runs so off i went in the wet and wind for my progression run. All done and all good, last 1km was tough again up the hill but it was sound.

• Options

Did my 5.5 at an overall average of 6.01m/km. Still too quick but it was nice and comfortable....and wet. New route tonight too which made it more interesting. No laps! 

• Options

10km easy run done, but i was a little too fast this time around at 6.15,

I didnt wear the HRM as when i wore it the other day in the rain it rubbed my skin off and i am just waiting for it to heal. Should be ok for Sunday now.

Felt very good, a little tired at the end yes but overall very good run.

• Options

JJ, you added a bonus 1k to your 9k run image

Sunday's is 16.

I'm back in UK will post next week's plan tomorrow.

• Options

cheers Louise, i was hoping you didnt spot the extra 1km hehe but i was short the other night be 700m, so decided to make up for it image

• Options

Goy my new running shoes today ended up getting the Saucony Omni 12 from Sweat Shop.

Cost me £105.

They do an assessment which also includes the inner sole being made and molded to your foot. A bloody rip off to buy them at £45 but it made the shoe feel so much better.

Got a 10% discount as being registered with Parkruns.

I just hope they work ok for me, but early signs are that they feel better than the Addidas Supernova I have.

• Options

First run in my new shoes today and what a difference, my legs and feet felt so much better.

Felt tired at 14.5km and the last km I was dead but kept the speed at 7.37 so not bad.

My longest ever run was 17km so this was a nice bonus getting close to that distance again. A long way to go for the GNR but loads of time to work on that as you have said after the 10km run. ALL GOING WELL.

• Options

JJ, all sounds good, although I see you decided you didn't need to break in your new shoes.  Looking at your run profile you did hit a bit of a slope at 14.5 so that's probably why your felt it at that point.  If you run tomorrow treat it as a recovery run - about thirty minutes, nice and slow.

Wednesday - Tempo - 8k

Friday - Easy 8k

Sunday - LSR 17k

Should all feel pretty comfortable.  Let me know how you go. 

• Options

Trainers were awesome, i was thinking that if i felt them and i thought would get blisters or my legs were hurting then i would simply stop and not complete the run, but they felt so good and my legs were good, it enabled me to complete the run. It shows that my old trainers were shot, but i will keep them for the park runs so they can get muddy lol.

Yes at 14.5 i did hit quite a slope as i get back to my house, it happens every run usually as I need to come back up to get home and then hit another slope about 15.5.

I may run tomorrow but will do a nice slow run, 30 mins sounds good. This weeks runs look good to go, thank you.

• Options

Done my 30 mins recovery run BUT..........

what is a recovery run, why do i need one, what is the benefit - Question time hehehe.

• Options

Just a very slow muscle loosening run, after a hard session, ideally even slower than LSR pace.

2 things - (i) do you have an interim race you'd like to enter in the Spring?  Ideally something between 10 - 16k?  Otherwise I suspect the training will become repetitive and boring. (ii) are you still doing any strength / core sessions? 

• Options

thank you

(i) i am running the Manchester 10km race in May. Plus I will be doing Park Runs once a month.

(ii) I have started them again last week once i was sure my muscle injury was sorted, so yes - just.

• Options

JJ, excellent.  18 May gives us a nice interim target.

On my injury front - saw a senior physio today who suspects a "sportsman's (!) hernia".  Heading for an ultrasound and MRI.  Looking at the Google info it sounds exactly like my symptoms and needs surgery to fix it. So no running for a while still.  And by the way, I probably got it in the gym, not running.

• Options

OH NO that is horrendous, i feel for you. I assume you have to stop gym work as well?

If it is a hernia that could be 8 weeks off maybe? Hope they find out it is something less serious.

8km tempo run done, probably a little fast, felt good but last 1km i was breathing hard but upon cool down my breathing was back to normal in no time. Trainers are good, feet and legs feel much better.

• Options

Taking things carefully in the gym at the moment, have an ultrasound booked for tomorrow which at least can point me in the right direction regarding rehab etc.  Actually hernia has a good recovery prognosis at 6-8 weeks, much better than adductor tendon problems more like 6-9 months!  So although it is surgery I am kind of hoping it is that.  At least it would explain everything.

Meanwhile I will have to continue to live vicariously through you....

Start looking out for a nice long gradual hill.  Ideally around 300m.  Want to start on building some power and stamina.

• Options

I have a steep and a shallow straight hill about 1500m-2000m away from my front door that are good for running. The one close to me is not ideal as cars parked on the pavement.

Let me know how the scan goes, fingers crossed it is hernia then. And remember to let me know when you do your next sponsored race.

• Options

Easy run done. My left knee felt tight after it, had a hot bath and it has eased, i will watch it tomorrow and sunday and see how it goes for sundays run, if sore i may be best resting a few days. Hopefully should be ok as i was jumping around tonight to avoid puddles, it was soaking out there.

For some reason my watch wont connect to download the data.

• Options

No data. No run. Defiantly lying JJ. You never left the house image

• Options

All uploaded now, there was an update to Garmin Connect.

• Options

JJ, pacing looks good. 

Knee - check your ITB - runs down side of leg - for stiffness / soreness.  Foam roller legs if possible.  Ice, elevate, rest.  Better to miss a day than blow out a joint, as I am very well aware (now).

• Options
    Ben Jackson wrote (see)

No data. No run. Defiantly lying JJ. You never left the house image

hmmm

nothing from Ben for 3 days I seeimage

• Options

Yep. No data, no runs.

• Options

going for the 17km weather permitting, it has been terrible here today with thunderstorms

• Options

Weather improved massively so was able to run the 17km.

It felt good and my pacing was spot on, really happy with it.

I just looked up what i did this time last year and i managed 3.78km at a pace of 8:20. So I think i have made a slight improvement hehehe.

• Options

JJ, great, glad it went well.  If you run today, treat it as recovery again - 30 mins nice and gentle.

Wednesday - 2k easy warm up, then up and down the hill.  Up = run at the EFFORT level you would need for a 10k race.  Down = easy as you like, even walking if you need to.  After 3 reps take a couple of minutes to get heart rate down.  Try for 3x3 if possible, then warm down jog home.  Can you wear the heart monitor?

Friday - easy 8k

Sunday - LSR 17k

I have a strength program from the physio, starting today image

• Options

Thanks, had a meeting in London today so up on the road by 6.20am and only got back 6.20pm having done 8hours driving. I am not running lol.

I will perhaps do the recovery run on Tuesday perhaps.

As for the hill do i use the steep hill or shallow hill? - assume steep hill.

Yes i can wear the monitor.

So if you have a strength progamme i assume you dont need an operation?

• Options

JJ, don't worry about the recovery run, a rest day instead is fine.

Yes steep hill please.

Don't know about surgery, still waiting for sonogram and MRI.  This is to strengthen in the meantime.

• Options

Well that was fun.

Managed all reps with jogging back down, the whole run was exactly 10km. My legs are pretty tired and it is now 30 mins after i finished.

Have to say i have only done one set of hill reps on the same hill before, managed 5 reps and had to walk in between, did 9 then and jogged in between.

I feel so much fitter these days, but still along way to go yet I feel on improvements.

I am at an institute dinner tomorrow so hopefully i should be fit to run Friday (beer permitting lol).