Options

Simple Training Forumla, would it work?

Comments

• Options

roger, i never run 2 days running usually, so next run (10km) will be Friday night or Saturday morning image

• Options

JJ, here's the suggested next 10 days - but go with the slower end of all your paces, will pick up the speed again after this cycle.

13        Friday  LSR                 10       

14        Saturday          core / x / rest                           

15        Sunday            Short (Easy)                8         

16        Monday           Intervals                      600m repeats

17        Tuesday           core / x / rest                           

18        Wednesday     Tempo             9          6k @06:00

19        Thursday         core / x / rest                           

20        Friday  LSR                 12       

21        Saturday          core / x / rest                           

22        Sunday            Short (Easy)                10       

• Options

seems good to me, I will indeed try to keep it slow.

Worthwhile doing any HRM runs or not? You will then be able to see data on Garmin Connect.

• Options

Yes - use the HRM, always good to have the extra information.

• Options

So glad to be back at it, 7.30 pace on LSR and heart rate was around135-140 over 10km.

• Options

JJ, looks good - pacing was good and heart rate looks like you are recovering well.  Maybe all the better for a rested week.  Stick with the slightly softer paces anyway, no point getting overtired just for the sake of it and we want a good strong foundation for the Half-Marathon preparation.

In other news...with my physio's approval I did a little test yesterday of walk 1 min / jog 1 min for 10 minutes on the treadmill, doesn't seem to have done any damage.  Sunday I'll do the same again but maybe for 20 minutes and see how that goes.

• Options

8km Easy done.

Good luck today with your second walk run. Hope you get back to running soon.

• Options

Intervals was tough. Did 3 x 600runs with 100 walks inbetween.

Struggled on the last set of 3

It is my birthday on Wednesday so my mum and dad have given me some money for a sports massage on Tuesday night.

• Options

JJ, that's fine, I expect next week's intervals will feel just fine.

Enjoy the massage.  Birthday tomorrow then, or next week?

• Options

Massage tonight (enjoy??? you are having a laugh - it hurts like hell lol), birthday tomorrow - 44 this time around grrr.

OH and listen to this. I mentioned when my mum and dad and rest of the family who were around on Sunday that if my GNR goes well, expect to see me in the Manchester marathon in spring 2015 - ARGH WHAT THE HELL WAS I THINKING, I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD MAKE 5KM NEVER MIND A MARATHON.

You running now or did you suffer any set backs?

• Options

Marathon Spring 2015 sounds excellent image

No - nut 'running' yet.  Have done a few minutes on the treadmill and it gets rather sore, but seems ok again next day.  Next time will be Thursday's session.  Today is weights and tomorrow swimming (which I find very boring).

• Options

Massage done, OMG my calfs are sore now hehe, time for a bag of Revels to make me feel better.

• Options

Hi all! Friend of JJ's here. I've given him the task of helping me get from 24min 5km to10km under an hour ready for the Great Manchester Run in May. I've never tried running further than 5 km and I''m no natural runner either!

First task. Buy a running watch!

Hope you don't mind me gate crashing John!

Really interesting thread! Progress you've made John is amazing!

• Options

Damn you Ben, know you know my intentions of a Marathon now. My progress would not have happened without LG though (she will be blushing now).

I had no idea what to do to get to 10km both quicker and beyond that for the Half Marathon. I have been helped massively and still need that help to progress in the correct fashion.

I will help you with what i have learnt so far though, you will kick my ass time wise, mind you are a young whipper snapper lol.

• Options

JJ, many happy returns for today

Ben, welcome - although if you are running 24 minutes for 5k I think all you need to do for a sub 60min 10k is to run 10k...but by all means I'll be happy to help.  What does your current training look like - how many miles / kilometres, how many times a week, and at what paces?

• Options

I'm probably just underestimating myself and as you say I just need to get 10k under my belt to run sub 60, but the main challenge will be getting my pace right. I've no running watch at the moment so tracking my pace is tricky. I'll be getting one in next few weeks.

I've dropped off the "training" in the last month or 2 (fair weather runner!!) but I generally get time to run twice in the week - Tues and Thurs and then I do a gym session on a Sunday. I was running 5k on Tues and Thurs and then a mixed bag of cardio and resistance stuff in the gym on a Sunday. Usually no treadmill though as I hate it, but since I've not been out in the week running on road I've introduced 3miles into my gym routine on a Sunday.

After reading this thread I realise I'm doing it all wrong! Basically I've been keeping my fitness up with 5km, but now with GMR in May I need to step up to 10km. Obviously I want to run as well as possible. No idea what my potential is really!

• Options

OK, without a watch you'll need to go on how you feel and how your breathing is to gauge paces.  1st thing to do is get back to 3 times a week (less than that is really not going to be worth doing, frankly).  Perfectly fine to do just 5k a time for the moment, but run it at a pace that you could easily have a conversation and run at the same time.  If I am running alone I test this by singing as I run image.  Draws a few stares.  I'd do that for a couple of weeks and just settle into the habit of running regularly.  If you are on the treadmill, try to take note of the pace that you are doing this at, and if it's one that does heart rate monitoring it would be useful to get that too, once you've settled in at a steady pace.  Also, set the gradient on the treadmill to about 1.5% otherwise it is too easy relative to outside running. 

Nothing wrong with some strength and core training, all part of building endurance. 

Are you happy / comfortable with your shoes?

• Options

Birthday and Xmas do and hangover complete. Having breakfast then out for a run, will be doing the 12km LSR ready for sundays run.

A strange run - shin cramped up at 1km and lasted until about 5km, then it eased. Nearly got a blister but finished just in time. Legs started to get tired at about 10.5km. Stamina wise i was great. The issue i need to improve on is leg stamina i feel which i guess will come from the usual running. i feel good breath wise, but i can tell after the lay off i am not a peak fitness ready to race. Loads of time yet though to get back on track. Give it a few weeks and thinks will look rosier.

• Options

JJ,  Please check your shins.  If they are tender, drop the pace and / or shorten the distance.  We do not want you getting shin splints.  Make sure you stretch your calves and massage underside of feet to get them to loosen off.  Ice them if sore.  Take a couple more days off if they are tender.  There's plenty of time.

We'll work on the leg stamina.  Keep the pace nice and easy for the 10k, and no intervals this week, just more easy running and a tempo run.  We seem to have shifted days due to the Christmas festivities.  Here are the runs, without a specific day nominated - do them as it suits you over the next week.

1 - easy - 8k

2 - tempo at 6k 6:00

3 - LSR - keep it at 12k

4 - easy - 8 - 10k

...enjoy...

I have now managed 12 minutes of running (4 x 3mins) on the treadmill, hurts a bit by the end of that but ok again by the next day.  So it's creeping up.  I am rather hoping to be able to get outside for 4-5k by New Year's Day.  Meantime my spinning and rowing are legendary image.

• Options

Thanks LG.

I will massage my feet and calves. Runs will be a little awkward this week, obviously, but i will be going again tonight (just been 10km easy and it was great- no aches and pains at all) and then probably xmas eve.

Bearing in mind we have runs set for the next week i guess it leaves me to wish you a happy xmas and good luck with your running, it seems you are slowly getting back to be able to run.

• Options

Thanks JJ, enjoy your Christmas break and keep me posted on how the easy running goes.

• Options

9km tempo run done, times were all over the place as the wind was pushing and pulling me all over the place, felt good though.

• Options

12km LSR run done this morning, all good.

• Options
    LouiseG wrote (see)

OK, without a watch you'll need to go on how you feel and how your breathing is to gauge paces.  1st thing to do is get back to 3 times a week (less than that is really not going to be worth doing, frankly).  Perfectly fine to do just 5k a time for the moment, but run it at a pace that you could easily have a conversation and run at the same time.  If I am running alone I test this by singing as I run image.  Draws a few stares.  I'd do that for a couple of weeks and just settle into the habit of running regularly.  If you are on the treadmill, try to take note of the pace that you are doing this at, and if it's one that does heart rate monitoring it would be useful to get that too, once you've settled in at a steady pace.  Also, set the gradient on the treadmill to about 1.5% otherwise it is too easy relative to outside running. 

Nothing wrong with some strength and core training, all part of building endurance. 

Are you happy / comfortable with your shoes? 

Yep shoes fine. Fairly new, decent quality and had no issues yet. 

• Options

decided to go for a run and do 10km easy, but bombed out after 2.2km and walked/jogged home to a total of 4km. Had no music, legs aching and it wasnt happening.

Will use it as a loosener for tomorrow as that was a waste of time lol.

• Options

I've had runs like that. Occasionally it's just not happening. 

• Options

JJ, no worries - just enjoy tomorrow's 10k, nice and easy.  I presume you'll be celebrating New Year's Eve? 

• Options

JJ, I have your main target for 2014 to do the GNR in September.  What interim races and targets are we looking at?  I ask because preferably the next three months should have minimal racing while we focus on building a strong distance / endurance base.  Speed work will be minimal unless there is a particular event you want to factor in.

Ben - are you going to start on a plan too?

• Options

By the way - just looked at your run data JJ - I suspect you bombed because you went out a bit fast; look at your first k pace and heart rate compared to an actual 'easy' run. 

• Options

Hi Louise,

I am indeed celebrating NYE, going to a rave, so i think i will be using up some energy there hehehe (no I dont mean drugs either, not my scene at all).

Run data, yes I did go out fast, I wasnt going to run as had had a beer earlier on and some bad food and didnt drink water. No wonder I bombed really but I guess it was better than nothing as long as it doesnt ruin my run tonight.

As for runs in 2014 my main effort most definately is the GNR. The only other run I have purchased is the Manchester 10km on the 18th May.

In relation to speed work I will take your advice here, but tend to agree distance is now what is needed to build that up with leg stamina.