Options

Thames Path 100

Comments

• Options

you will have a blast! the NDW50 is very pretty, hilly but pretty!

• Options

Weather looks like I can use my road shoes for at least the first half....  Thats about all I have decided so far. New jacket apparently arrived at home today because my kit nazi events have always winter, so I wear my jacket - which I may not do this time, and I only just realised I couldn't fit it in my bag.... Expensive.  Yes, I know - never try anything new on race day. image

Has anyone managed to get Centurion's KML file in to Garmin Connect ? Or have any sections from previous runs on Garmin ?  Think I'll solve the battery issue by using just a watch for the first half and then firing up the 310xt - following a course helps me with the pacing, but I guess its not critical.

I'm getting a train on the morning as a 2hr trip vs the expensive / limited hotel options seems like the sensible choice to keep the wife happy at least.

• Options

You wont miss me ive got tattoos of lizards on my calf muscles. Then again you would have to be behind me to see them and thats unlikely as I think I'll be somewhere near the back of 360 people. Not starting at the front, I'll leave that for the fast people. I just want to settle into my pace and you can't do that with everyone running past youimage

Failing that I'll mostly in black except for an endurance life top which is white, my names matt.

• Options

Richla was you the one who served me the warm soup. It was bloody lovely soup but you had no means of heating it. So anyone after me would have had cold soup.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

No, I'm a dinosaur all right.  I will be lumbering along somewhere near the back.

I'll be on the 0742 from Reading, Kevin, so perhaps I'll see you?  

• Options

looks like most of us will actually meet then......at the back! image T Rex im also a dinosaur! On twitter im know as Cardiosaurus image

• Options

Yes Dill, soup it was!  We did get a heater for it eventually!

• Options

Ah see I wouldn't forget that soup. I'd just had a bad patch coming into chain hill, had the soup then 8 min miled all the way back to Streatley. Bloody good stuff.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Can't beat soup on 100-milers.  Plenty of it, please!!

• Options
    Hi everyone. Good luck for the weekend. I'll be wearing a vegan runners vest and will be right at the back run/walking from the start.

Looking forward to it/nervous/papping it.... image
  • Options

Looking forward to cheering you in Cabbey - I've not forgotten you from the Wall last year (I even got a mention from you in your blog!).

Don't blame you for getting fed up on Chain Hill/Bury Downs area Dill.  I run the Ridgeway a lot and that's one of my least favourite bits.  In the middle of the night and where it is in the race, it probably is a very low point for anyone.

• Options
    T Rex - probably not, as I'm coming from Colchester via Stratford. Maybe the trudge from the station wondering what the hell we were thinking...

My OMM Kamleika arrived - about the only thing available in a medium at short notice. There is just a chance I can squeeze everything in my Camelbak but no room for my own food...
  • Options

I have raced on that stretch a few times and now it just does my head in. From Streatley to Chain hill is orrible.

I just had a new Hagloffs pack delivered this week Kevin luckily I tried it tonight and not during the race because it was bloody awful. Going to stick with my trusty UD highline.

• Options

Hey all,

Spent half of last year on this forum with another race and didn't even look for this one until tonight! Looking forward to the TP, it should be pretty fun. Keen to just get going now. Hope everyone's prep is going well. My first hundred. Can't wait! SDW50 was awesome and Centurion were amazing so feel like it's the best place to succeed. All that's left is getting our heads around three digits to the distance, eh?

See you all on the weekend..

Benjamin

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Kevin - good choice the Kamleika.  You won't go wrong with that.  It's a waterproof you can actually run in without feeling it's hindering you, and doesn't rustle, and stretches all directions.  Good hood.  It's what I'll be carrying.  

• Options
    Back2basicsBack2basics ✭✭✭

ive got the montane atomic, great little jacket! Pockets/air vents good hood but it is does rustle a little.

Good luck Benjamin, its my first one as well! image

• Options

Kamleika for me too. Bought it at the Rat Race store the day before a sodden Wall ultra in 2012, and it was certainly money well spent.

Still not sure what kit I'm wearing, but I'll be the tall skinny fella with the heavily pregnant partner, and the one constantly checking his mobile throughout the event. Actually the little fella isn't due for another month, so the sdw100 is the one more in doubt. Exciting times though ????

• Options

Congrats for that Tiago. I don't care about being taller but now wish I was a bit skinnier...

Bit of rain today, but seems ok after that and the ground should be dry enough to soak most of it up. Still hoping for road shoes to halfway, and will only switch at that point if needed. I can just - and I mean just - fit my essential kit in my Camelbak which means severely limiting the food I can carry with me. Alternative is a front bottled Raidlight, which I have used before but I prefer face freedom when I can - although I recognise the fill up advantages of bottles. Hmmm.

• Options

Kevin, I raced the other week and someone said how much they preferred the front bottle fill-up rather than the faff of having to take the pack off to fill a bladder.  I guess it depends if you'd use taking off the pack as a forced rest and presumably you can get more water/fluid in the bladder - it depends how much you drink between aid stations.

Not sure if you have special food requirements, but don't forget there's usually plenty to eat at the aid stations, so it may not be such a worry to take your own food.

• Options

Thanks Richyla - I'll eat anything, and I know they do a good job, but sometimes its better to eat over longer periods of time than suddenly dump a load of food in your stomach over a 2 minute period. Thats really the issue I'm struggling with.

Agreed on bottle fill ups - I don't think it would save much time but I guess I may need every second. Packing stress continues then !

• Options

Thanks Kevin.

I'm going to use the drop bag at half way to top up my food supplies. Inov8 20 litre pack for me.

• Options

my pack it tiny! im using the ultimate direction AK vest. Its 4lts at a push!

Got everything in it though!

Kevin one idea to save on space and not have to stuff yourself is to run with empty food bags. once hitting an aid station chuck everything you want in the bag then nibble at leisure to the next stop.

Worked great for me at tt50 image Keeps the weight down and reminds you to eat as its in your hand 

• Options

Thanks B2B - the simple ones are the best.  Its pissing down in London now....

• Options

Just finished the final final pack of my saloman skin 12, only water to add on the day, ive not filled it this time which is good for me. im going mix my own food and aid stations, normally I only use my own food, but the feed back about centurion aid station is great so going to give it a go.

Ive gone full circle back to bottles now which makes me drink more water, which is a good thing.

Hitting the m4 in the next hour, london here I comeimage

• Options

Yep, time to start seeing if my kit fits into my bag.

I'm number 59 btw, if anyone feels like saying hello.

• Options

B2B has sent me towards bottles too - if you are impressed with squeezing into 4 ltrs I thought maybe my 2ltrs (at best) Camelbak might be going a bit too MdS. So I am now in a positively spacious 5ltr Raidlight.  I'm number 38, hitting a train from Colchester about 6.30 tomorrow  

• Options

Good luck all of you for tommorow See you at Reading CP!

Apart from the usual goodies, we will also have
    Roni's famous Vegan Rice and Humus Wraps (also suitable for non Vegans)
    Soup
    Small boiled Potatoes and Sea Salt dip / Pumpkin Humus Dip (if we havent eaten it all by the time you get there!)
    Jelly
    Tea & Coffee
    Vegan Jelly Beans plus a few other bits.
    Roni has been designated Official Ass Kicker for those who dont want to spend too long at the CP

Dont forget to say Hi as I have a memory like a , um, something or other image

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭
  • Options

Well i squeeeezed most of it into a 2ltr dry bagimage

number 319 for me, see you guys in a bit! image

• Options
    Oooh, vegan goodies image