Options

Thames Path 100

Comments

• Options

I added the aid stations to my map last night.......crap that's a long way! 

Are they any useful notes I should jot down?

• Options
    shawkshawk ✭✭✭

Getting through Reading. Not difficult but you're in suburbia away from the river and it's very easy to question yourself. Worth having a close look at an OS map so you know what to expect.

• Options

Watch out when approaching Reading so you don't end up following River Kennet instead of the Thames. We were a couple of runenrs that did that misstake two years ago. 

• Options

B2B - My main concern is the odd occasion when the path veers away from the river and meanders through the back streets of some small village or town!! 

Less Thames can easily become more trouble?

• Options

In emergencys ill be using an app called back country navigator, its just like google maps but with os maps instead of satellite pictures. well worth buying for a couple of pounds just in case, as its accurate. when I first got it I went for the free version which works for 30 days.

Ill be traveling to london this time next week, got a room at the premier inn just up from the start, dont have to stress about traffic and being late.

Want to be stress free before the start if thats at all possible, well apart from checking and rechecking my kit about 50 times, redoing my laces at least 5 times and generally  walking around questioning everything from my training to fitness levels. Anyone else hate the pre start waiting?

• Options

Thanks folks I shall keep those in mind coming into Reading and maybe have my map in hand to save the second guesses! Centurions marking is brilliant so hopefully it shouldn't be an issue but its good to have a heads up image

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

sorry to jump into your thread and be cruel... Seems to be rain around again? I think the Thames is trying it's best to be wet again.

• Options

as long as it doesnt get like the thames trot 50 im a happy monkey! image

• Options

The weather will be what it will be, just be prepared, theres nothing else you can do.image

• Options

Well said. No point in stressing about what you can't control. Plus the shittier the conditions the better the war stories.

• Options

Right, food extras on the list image we'll get as many as we can!

Tiago, yeah will be good to catch up image and I have designated Roni as resident ass kicker again image

Only a week to go!

• Options

actually you guys are spot on, cant change it....bring it!! image

I have some inside information from someone who is on the river....part of the bank has burst!

Wet feet it is then! image

• Options

Noooo, I'm sick of running the thames path in crap conditions. Just once please let it be dry.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Are there any known diversions from the official route on the course at the moment?

Trying to get prepared for this.

• Options

Nothing official, but Benson Lock is still closed, so I think there will be a diversion from Wallingford to Benson. 

• Options

If you go to course note on the web site there are two diversions put up on friday. They say temporary but cant see them changing in a week so worth ready so there not a surprise. image

• Options

Oh yeah, cool, that's the one. As they say, it's an easy route to follow.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Cheers, guys.  The moment I stop looking at that webpage new stuff gets posted.

It's getting close, isn't it?

I know I can grind out a completion but I've no idea at what speed.  I have a target of getting to Aston, about three miles short of Henley, by nightfall.

And, yes, I will be careful NOT to go under the railway bridge at Reading and start following the Kennet!

I'm also going to try not to spend too much time at aid stations.  But that resolve could weaken if the food is too good ...

• Options

Yes T it is very close now.

Just checked where I should be come nightfall and I should be somewhere around Whitchurch, but who knows?

Just watched the Countryfile weather for the week. Rain most of this week followed by a cold snap at the weekend.

Not sure how high the river is and what effect a week of heavy rain will have on it.

I can feel another change of shoes coming on.

• Options

I think I'll be around Henley come sundown.

I think I'll go for trailrocs if it's looking muddy.

• Options

Whitchurch, fair play dill, 

I'm hoping to be between Henley and reading, come rain or shine im sticking with my ultra raptors. 

Just packed all my gear, all ready to goimage

• Options

Looking forward to seeing you all at the finish line, but sadly won't know who most of you are due to the "noms des plumes".

I'll be cheering you in and logging your finish times - feel free to hug me, yell at me, throw up on me, cry on my shoulder - tick appropriate.

Good luck guys!

• Options

I really really hope to get to that finish line! I will be easy to spot, I will be the idiot in the sandals image

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Harder to predict is where we all will be at sunrise!  Except for *Dill* who will be at or near the finish line.

I find sun-up to be the hardst point of 24-hour races.  The horrible, nasty yellow object hurts your eyes that desperately want to close. You think you've been moving quite well through the night but now that you can see you realise you hadn't been at all.  Your running style, if you ever had any, has gone. Tired, grimy, and sweaty you're shuffling along, meeting early morning runners fresh as a daisy out training who sometimes can't believe what you've been doing.

A few hours later I generally get through this phase and if I go on long enough I often forget I've missed out a night's sleep altogether.  Day 2 feels just like Day 1.

Never been through a second night.  Don't think I could cope with that.

Email with latest instructions received today.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

I'll be using an orange Aarn 'marathon magic' bag, 6'1" and wear specs, if that helps.

• Options

You mean, you don't look like a dinosaur??

• Options

B2B. Fair play for the Sandals you'll be easy to spot.

My worst time is about 2 or 3am when the sleep demons hit. I struggle to keep my eyes open sometimes. Red bull is my only saviour.

GTD i'll only be beyond Whitchurch at night fall if all goes to plan. There are a lot of things that could go wrong and usually do. Good that you've packed already I've taken Friday off work for a day of relaxation and kit packing.

I'll be wearing "Kent Physio" t-shirt and shorts.

• Options

I'll post what I'm wearing once I've decided - so probably Friday night!

I have a secret weapon to combat the sleep demons, two of my nephews are doing the last 20 miles or so between them.

• Options

cheers Dill, might regret it ha ha ha!

this build up cant be good for the heart! I go from being perfectly fine to remembering what I am doing at the weekend image   

• Options

I'm doing NDW50 and I'm getting nervous already, so god knows what you're all thinking about this weekend!

Dill - you're one of the few real names that I know.  I was on Chain Hill in November and you'd gone out into the dark when someone said - that's Dill.  It was dark however, so I still wouldn't recognise you!