Options

My name is ???????? and i am gonna seriously get my sh!t in one sock

Comments

• Options

Snuck in under the radar and slummed it for a while.Glad to be back in the Royal countyimage

• Options

I'll make sure that ASBO sticks next time

Kate, I didnt have you down as a nesh one  image

3 hrs left of this shift and then I get to have 4 days off ... best I get my arse in gear

• Options

Hello team. I've erm.... done very little in the past month or so to be honest, the wedding and honeymoon sort of took over.... but as of tomorrow, I am back on it!

I'm feeling quite keen to get going. I made a half arsed attempt at a bit of training last week but nothing serious as I was battling jet lag. I haven't swum for aaAAaaaages, well not proper swimming. I did manage a bit of bobbing around in the sea and pools while we were away but nothing that comes close to training. 

Ahhhh well, back to the beginning I go image 

• Options

Looks like Monday is where its at then    image

Swim and a run for me I think, or a swim and bike .... not quite decided yet !

• Options

Bike ride today, but I really struggled with it Spent a good few Km in my granny gear with the HRM screaming at me could be the tail end of the flu or I could just be cr@p on a bike. image

• Options

Your HRM was telling you that you're going to get better at it! image 

• Options
    IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

Your HRM was telling you that you're going to get better at it! image 

Thanks, I guess its a case of keep on keeping on.

I do wonder if I am better trying to keep the HR down, just riding more till i improve or doing something like hill repeats?  I know there are never any shortcuts in fitness and the only magic pill is hard work but some methods are more effective than others but in this case I don't know which.

• Options

So there are many ways to skin that cat, but certainly the early days are based around aerobic work. At least 10 weeks but likely many more of just easy work will do the trick. That goes for running and cycling.

• Options

Very busy week both work and training! I  had a reminder of what my home looks like today, slovenly morning in bed...bliss, I also remembered that I actually have 2 kids, noisy beggars!

• Options

Thanks, that is really what I have been trying to do, but somewhat confounded by by living in a very hilly area. I have thought about putting a 12-30 cassette on the rear to help. Currently using a 11-27 on a compact front.  I am about 4 weeks in to the base phase as a pre training plan before I start the real work for IMW in mid Feb. I did miss 5 days this week due to flu though.

Very grateful for the help

• Options

Meldy, not normally a wimp but I have Raynauds and am prone to a bit of hypothermia, can cope when I'm running but can't change gear, brake or unclip on the bike when I'm cold and as I'm shite anyway it all goes to pot. Nice long run on the North Downs this morning, yoga this afternoon, and fingers crossed for a marathon entry next weekend, New job start tomorrow so easy week on the training front, dull! Duda, I don't understand about 50% of the above!

• Options

KateF Basically asking if I should put some bigger gears on my bike to make it easier to go up the hill around me.

• Options

Aha, I only understand that if I use my left hand gears it makes the hills a bit easier. I only found this out 3 months ago, I am a biking imbecile.

• Options

Duda, moving to a 30T would likely be expensive: longer cage rear mech, new chain, etc. On a metres progression (how far you move forward per crank revolution) the 30 would only save you 20cm per rev. Stick with what you've got for the moment. It never gets easier, just faster!

Or cost vs benefit doesn't scan.

Kate - I've only had one occasion where I couldn't use my hands due to cold and it was bloody scary. Weather turned horrendous very quickly and I was going downhill in a race.

Local XC league today. 8.5 muddy km image

• Options

Not nice, Cat, I look like a super coold dude (knobhead) in my mittens but they're the best thing to try and keep my hands functional.

• Options

Duda, moving to a 30T would likely be expensive: longer cage rear mech, new chain, etc. On a metres progression (how far you move forward per crank revolution) the 30 would only save you 20cm per rev. Stick with what you've got for the moment. It never gets easier, just faster!

I think the 30t drops straight in with an adjustment of the L screw? so about £16 for the cassette

I hope it gets a little easier as I was at 90% + or most of today's ride and I don't think I will be able to  keep that up for 180KM and and if I do I might have to walk or crawl the marathon image

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/408088597

• Options
    Duda wrote (see)

I think the 30t drops straight in with an adjustment of the L screw? so about £16 for the cassette

Depends on what rear mech you have. What is it?

It looks like you rode a hill climb without any warm up or easy work first...

• Options

Rear mech is a Shimano Tiagra.

Re the ride, Yup pretty much  I was riding back from the kids swimming lessons while the wife drove the kids back.

• Options
    Duda wrote (see)

Thanks, that is really what I have been trying to do, but somewhat confounded by by living in a very hilly area. I have thought about putting a 12-30 cassette on the rear to help. Currently using a 11-27 on a compact front.  I am about 4 weeks in to the base phase as a pre training plan before I start the real work for IMW in mid Feb. I did miss 5 days this week due to flu though.

Very grateful for the help

Duda, if it is of any help at all I to live in the very hilly area of sheffield. From own experiance when your starting out you hate those chuffing hill's, if you turn it into a slightly sick game and just go right whats the worst I can do let's have it! You will learn to image them and also get in better training for the time you put into it. Personally i still hate going down a hill and ride the brakes far more tham I should but on years I've trained right I've been plecently surpliced by the progress I've made when just gone funk it and battled them.

I've found that while going up the hill's havn't gone any quicker my speed and endurance has increased a lot and think it was down the hill work.
    I also find a good amount of swearing when you are going up them and throughs of a reward of cafe and a cake help a lot.

• Options

Swim swum, run tomorrow I think image

• Options

Cake, you now have me thinking of biking the road from Glossop to Sheff........

lovely image 

• Options
    Duda wrote (see)

Rear mech is a Shimano Tiagra.

Re the ride, Yup pretty much  I was riding back from the kids swimming lessons while the wife drove the kids back.

Looks like  30T is a goer then. You could stick with the same chain as long as you remember not to use big-big!

How far swum Meldy?Just the usual 10km? image

• Options

Yeah ... you know me,bit short of time image

• Options

Run this morning, new job, then weights and swim tonight, will be a light week this week but proudly managed to pack in 21 hours last week in preparation. This week the drinking arm will get a little workout.

• Options

21 hours??

Firkin ada  image

• Options

That's garden leave for you! Up nice and early to prance around my garage with a leg workout this morning then off to track later.

• Options
    Duda wrote (see)

lovely image 

Oh hello you a local? I live in stocksbridge if you want a ride buddy at any point. Hope valley is a good place to get some miles in without to many cars althrough there is a bit of a hill near castleton.

• Options

I SWAM image

Polishes halo.

• Options

Afternoon all!  Lots of great training going on, so well done folks image 

I've been a bit of a slacker the last two week and only managed 2 out of the 4 runs I was meant to do each week image Mixture of head cold, inability to get up early enough and freezingness of the outdoors have put me off.  Managed to get a warmer top in the Swaetshop sale though (at least I bloody hope it will keep me warm!) so will be trialling that tonight.  Need to just HTFU and get on with it.  Off to Paris on Saturday for the night, so will need to run Tue, Wed, Thur & Fri to fit all the runs in, eek.  Not going to worry about time and just plod them out, esp. since still got a pigging cold.  Need to get the consistency back.

Cake, I can't imagine EVER loving hills on the bike.  Well, maybe when i've lost more timber, hehehe

• Options
    Cake wrote (see)
    Duda wrote (see)

lovely image 

Oh hello you a local? I live in stocksbridge if you want a ride buddy at any point. Hope valley is a good place to get some miles in without to many cars althrough there is a bit of a hill near castleton.

Cake, I love in the Forest of Dean now but I used to have a girl friend from Sheff and used to drive that road quite a lot, I was living in Liverpool at the time. Fabulous road fantastic views and some nice hills.

Training wise did 1hr interval session on the turbo yesterday, then a coached swim and 40 minute run today.