Options

Fat to Fit - Time for change? Me, too!

Comments

• Options

Congratulations!

Though Myself and my grlfriend both received rejections. So I was gutted. Still, there are other marathons and a weekend in Paris is now on the cards, so every cloud has a silver lining!

Ran 6 miles last night. Got progressively faster until my last mile was 20s per mile faster than my target HM pace. Also, felt good afterwards and had a quick recovery. Thats the longest quick run now. 8 slow saturday, 5 monday, 3.5 Tuesday, 3.5 Thursday then thats it, training done!

• Options

Well done Rachel I'm really pleased for you. Get that plan going now. 

• Options

It's all gone a bit quiet, lets hear some updates guys! Time to get remotivated!

I didn't run at the weekend. I'm going to call it part of my taper, but in reality I just had too much to drink on friday so couldn't do the run I wanted on Saturday morning!Only 6 days and 3 training runs to my race.

Also, looking at Paris quite seriously now for my full marathon attempt and hoping to book something this week image

• Options

No updates from me. Cold is now sitting on chest and decided not to risk running.  And have 4 days until my holiday, so not sure if will be well enough in time! I am however taking running kit to Japan with me. image

• Options

Congrats on getting into London Rachel, its a fab race and you'll have a great time image

Did the Ealing half marathon yesterday - found it really hard image did it in 2:18, which is 11 mins off my PB at Llanelli in 2011. 

Glad it did it though and feeling v virtuous (and achy) today. Already looking into 10k for around Nov/Dec to keep up the fitness.

When the Paris Marathon Matty? Am doing Brighton next April but Paris sounds fab, hol and marathon in one image

• Options

Very quiet week for me after my race last Sunday.  Had a touch of manflu so didn't get out during the week but did a gentle 5.58 miles on Saturday.  Was going to do some on Sunday but was way too hungover after a party on Saturday night, only just made it from the bed downstairs to the sofa.  Going out for a bit tonight to try out my new shoes (Asics Gel Nimbus 15) so quite excited about that.  Starting an Asics plan for my next race (Tadworth Ten Mile) on Jan 5th, seeing if I can get under the 1:30 mark with the help of some structured training.  Has anyone else used their training plans?

• Options

I have for two marathons.  They are low volume but high intensity.  So overall you run less than in a lot of other plans, but generally you do a lot high portion of your miles at the pace you are hoping to run in your event.

• Options

Thanks BT that's useful to know.  Let's see how it pans out!

• Options

Rachel - has to be one of the more interesting places to run?!

Dotty - Congrats on completing the half - they can't all be PBs but you'll always feel great after finishing one! Paris is early April - I can get flights and hotel for under £350 between us for 4 nights! She's a lucky girl image

Stevie - 5.58 is more than I managed saturday morning. I'm going to follow an Asics plan for the 10k I've entered in december (Weston super mare christmas cracker) and if that works I'm going to use it for my Marathon training plan too.

• Options

Good luck in Cardiff Matty, I did it a few years ago when it finished in the Millenium Stadium, quite a kick to cross the line there!

• Options
    Thanks Stevie! I'd have loved to have finished at the MS but the route takes me past the millennium centre, which is where I graduated in the summer, and finishes a city hall, where the missus graduated in the summer. Sentimentally that means a great deal to me image

Back to the training, ran. 5m tempo run as I wasn't feeling confident at running 9m/m on Sunday. So I was delighted when I clocked in at 8.36m/m - 26 seconds quicker. So I'm feeling good to hit my 1h57 target!

And in other news, just booked into the Paris marathon - my first. Travel and accommodation for 2 sorted for a nice 5 day city break. Setting myself an ambitious target of sub 4 hours.
  • Options
    Woohoo image good luck for next weekend and Paris
  • Options

Tougher than expected 3.5 miles tonight.  Ended up on a route with very few street lights which made it difficult, went over on my ankle at one point because I couldn't see the floor but no damage luckily.  Shall stick to the light in future!

• Options

Well done for getting out and doing it Stevie, this thread WILL stay alive!

Worth investing in a headtorch? They are pretty inexpensive unless you want some cleverness in them.

I did a 3.5m at Race Pace yesterday. Legs felt good. Last training run tonight, 4.5m at recovery pace.

• Options

Helloooooo everyone!  How's you all doing for a Thurs?  It's close to the weekend so I'm happy!

I've only just joined this site....I've just been accepted for the London Marathon! Yikes!  I was so inspired by some of my friends who completed it last year and this year, so I applied myself! 

I'm a complete beginner, done the Bournemouth Half in 2012 with many of my mates but I didn't train as hard as I should have....plus I haven't run since!  I've always played squash to a good standard but I'm not a natural runner. I'm currently 14 st 7lbs and really want to shift the weight and get to about 11 stone (or around there!), so the next 6 months of training I'm sure will help with that! I'm willing to put it in but I have to say the thought of running 26 miles is quite daunting!  What have I put myself in for!! haha

I'm going to make a start on the training next week and build up slowly, I have a beginners training programme to follow.

Any hints & tips or even some encouragement, it's always good to have a kick up the backside! xx image

• Options

I suppose a head torch is something to consider?  I'm not sure if it wouldn't annoy me or not.  My Asics plan has me doing a five miler tonight, coupled with chasing Gore-illas in the Fetchpoint game on Fetcheveryone I'll be on well lit roads tonight!

On a weight update I've now lost 10kg in two and half months, half way there!

BTW as far as this thread staying alive we don't seem to have heard from our esteemed leader Jae for a while!!!  

Good luck for Cardiff Matty if I don't post again before Sunday!

• Options

Welcome to the thread Wrighty! Many of us in this thread have been in a very similar boat so we can relate to what you are going through!

I didn;t get accepted for London, but I am running Paris instead, my first marathon, so we will be following similar patterns!

Running will certainly help with weight loss as Stevie (Congrats!) and others here are proving - mine seems to have plateaued a bit.

Just get your trainers on and run, a bit at a time and work up to it. Rome wasn;t buit in a day!

And yes, wherefore art though Jae?!

• Options

Hi all,

I'm on the Isle of Wight at the moment. My great running adventure hasn't quite happened (though I have been out running every other day). Food, drink, bad weather and sore knees, coupled with some monster hills have put paid to my coast to coast run so far. However, there's still a few days to go so we'll see. 

Great to see everyone still on here, and welcome to our newest posters. 

• Options

Great to hear from you! Sorry to hear the coast to coast didn;t work out - but the IOW isn;t going anywhere, so you can always go back and do it another timeimage

• Options

True - I have been running a fair bit so all is not lost.

• Options

At least you're still out there though Jae, and you're getting to run in new surroundings which is always good!  As Matty says, it ain't going anywhere!

5 steady miles in the rain tonight, a few hills but felt pretty good!  A couple of days off now and a weekend of food and wine ahead, so some work to do next week!

• Options

Hi, Ive been running for 3 weeks now trying to battle the flab and reading this thread plus the rest of the forum getting tips on gear and what not, Im currently aged 40 and weight 112kg and I'am 5ft9 and bit. I used to be 72kg so I have piled the weight on over the last 8-9 years. I have already lost a few stone so I was much heaver, I do a lot of cycling to work and back which is a round trip of 20miles which has given me reasonable base level of fitness but running is different kettle of fish.

I did start running 4wks ago, 3xWk round my local nature reserve the Wrens Nest but had a week of due to going away on my hols. Took me 32min to run/jog/walk/crawl 1.84 miles or there abouts just shy of 3k. Ive now got that down to 25min I am trying to get it to sub 20 but so far taking 6-7 min of the route in 2 weeks has given me a nice boost but reading the forum I think I will try doing some of the interval training using C25k app on my phone to help improve my training rather than trying to push myself to run/jog between markers and gates round the reserve, it has worked but I feel like I burn myself out at the beginning and just bimble the rest of the way.

I have done something I didn't think I would do this year as well and that was apply to do 6 mile race (Suicide 6) in Nov. So I have my work cut out over the next couple of months.

My goal is though to run to work next April-May time which is 10miles which 9 miles of that is canal tow path then may be a marathon but baby steps first but reading through this tread over the last couple of weeks has really given me lift to know Im not the only one out there image

• Options

Hi wrensnest you sound like you've got yourself nicely in the groove of running and like the rest of us want to see where it'll take you. Don't worry about the weight it'll come off if you keep running just don't get too hung up on it.  

Jae sorry to hear your great IOW challenge is postponed buta you're still out there.  

I've been stupidly busy for the last few weeks but am still running and I think I've lost about a stone. I'm giving up booze for October to give my body a rest from it and hopefully help with the weight loss. 4 days down just 27 to go! Did my 3.5 miles circuit again this morning and felt the joy of a cool autumnal run!  Lovely! image 

I'm working up to Leeds Abbey Dash in Nov anyone else going?

• Options

Welcome Wrighty and Wrensnest, it sounds like you've both made good starts to your running life!! Remember that they'll be ups and downs but if you keep at it you'll feel fantastic for it image 

Good luck for the half in Cardiff Matty, am sure you'll do great.

Went for first run today since the half last Sun, managed to just eek out a 5k, was bloody hard!! Going out tonight so doubt I'll be in the frame of mind to run tomorrow!! Cathy, I second the joy of Autumnal running image much easier than summer running. Enjoy your weekends all

• Options

Good luck today Matty!

• Options
    Cheers Stevie!

What a tremendous event, we'll turned out and organised and aside from the water stations being too short, a really good day.

I missed my 'A' target of 1:57:00 but squeezed in my 'B' target by the skin of my teeth. Finish time 1:59:52 which I am delighted with. Beat the 2h barrier image

Hope everyone's weekend running was as fun as mine image
  • Options

Congrats image below 2h is great 

• Options

Well done Matty that's fantastic!!  

Zumba day for me today so no running although I was seriously considering it when I saw the weather this morning.  I love Zumba though and it wasn't on last week so I've missed it. 

Can't believe the weekend's nearly over again!!  

• Options

At least you're still out there though Jae, and you're getting to run in new surroundings which is always good!  As Matty says, it ain't going anywhere!

5 steady miles in the rain tonight, a few hills but felt pretty good!  A couple of days off now and a weekend of food and wine ahead, so some work to do next week!

• Options

Hmmm, not sure what happened there!

Matty very well done mate, Sub 2 is a great result!  Seems it was a wonderful morning for it, fantastic!