Options

Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Eggy - a great tale, well told.

Stewart - as Emmy said, also look at what you had before your run. I made the mistake of drinking ginger beer the night before a half. Cue two trips into the bushes to make like a bear, a close encounter with a family of four and a real encounter with a dog walker image

LawyerA - I tend to use my roller when things feel a bit 'strange' and normal stretching isn't doing the trick. I think using the foam roller every day must have some kind of classification in the S&M handbook.

Tricky - you trying to confuse us with the new avatar?

Today's run was horrible. Torrential sideways rain, major wind chill issue - which was only behind us on the downhill sections.

Meant to make this a long one but cut it short three quarters of the way in, when Mrs O lost communication with fingers and toes. Still, did 23k (slowly) and felt I could have gone on but the plan is rather flexible right now, so now worries.

• Options

*coughs* I use mine every day.  Sometimes more than once....

• Options

TD / Emmy sorry for being out of contact, out and about with family, but Emmy I have tried to PM you, hopefully it worked... TD... need to get my head round km's! image

Someone was commenting about sports bra chafing earlier... I have had a similar issue and found the best prevention was using the Glide anti chafe stick, works wonders, doesn't sweat off great for bra issues and avoiding blisters too!

Had a couple of lovely runs over christmas, one hilly 6 miler just at dusk in the highlands rain stopped as i went out and had glorious views, followed by 2nd christmas dinner with the in laws! then the following day a run with a friend no garmin just chatting and meandering through the woods, only meant to be 3-4 miles, more like 5-6 in the end!

Did my LSR today as travelling yesterday, pouring rain caused the route to be more adventurous than intended - assault course style running up rivers and vaulting fallen trees, entertaining, but did nothing for my pace!

• Options

Happy birthday TD! You're doing very well for an old bloke image.

Last run of the year done this morning - total slightly down on last year which is a little disappointing, but it's been an extraordinary year running wise. I've been to some extraordinary places and met some remarkable people. 

Here's to next year image.

• Options

Happy Birthday TDimage

last run done for me too. 8x 400m hill intervals. Didn't feel like running loops o the town under street lights so for once was happy doing intervalsimage My total also well down on last year but considering the year I should be happy. hopefully next year will be healthier! 

Happy New Year to everyone when it comes! image

• Options

Just off to run the last ten miles of 2013 before work.  Looks like its going to include wind and wet feet, ahh well

Happy New Year to us all image

• Options

Happy birthday TD

Last run of the year done last night - leisurely 4miles round the usual loop with my running buddy. Lovely. That makes my yearly stats as below:

Count: 202 Activities Distance: 1,213.98 mi Time: 188:40:52 h:mimage Elevation Gain: 8,253 m Max Elevation Loss: 199 m Avg Speed: 6.4 mph Avg HR: 112 bpm Calories: 102,081 C

I might have tried an extra .02 if I'd known, but oh well. There're plenty of runs that aren't counted anyway - normally a failure from me to charge the Garmin!

Ooh, I saw the bootcamp pictures yesterday, a very kind person tweeted them to me. I'm in the group shots, the head shots (steady) and my fringe can be seen in one of the photos too, exciting. 

Happy New Year one and all, may 2014 bring you everything you hope for and more. 

• Options

Well good morning everybody and thanks for the birthday greetings. It's hard to believe I am 46 today; I feel so young inside. So, I have a grand total of 1,406kms on my training log this year. I was intending to go out and run today - I have a bit of a tradition of always running a HM on my birthday, but seeing as I've also got runner's OCD, I'm just off now for a 594km run to round things off!

Avatar returned to normal service so as not to disorientate anyone. Orbutt image

• Options

Penblwydd Hapus TD image

I'll be off out for a short recovery blast on the bike soon...all my running is done for the year, 2158.82kms.  Legs feel remarkably ok after yesterday's burn so I'm ending the year in far better shape than I started it.

Here's to a fab 2014 and a belter in Paris image

• Options

Top tip...I've just discovered that if I hang my Garmin off my door's inside handle, it'll pick up satellite through the glass - no more standing about outside in the cold and wind waiting for a lock image

• Options

Yip Weedy, my watch picks up from hall window...... As long as the battery is charged! image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

TD - Happy Birthday!

Weedy - I put in on a window sill ledge outside of my bathroom.

Yer_maj - well done on an impressive total. A final 10km for me this morning.

Jo - i'll be shooting off an email shortly image thanks for your PM.

Wishing you a fab last day of 2013!

• Options

Happy Birthday TD, you young whippersnapper you.

Thanks for the Garmin tips. I have wasted loads of time loitering around on the street, worrying the neighbours...

991.5 done so far. I suppose I better get my trainers on.

• Options
    Happy birthday TD ,,

I always put my garmin on the kitchen window sill , on top of a rock , if I don't put it on the rock it doesn't pick up a signal ,, I know ,,, me and my crazeee ways image

Final run of the year over seven mile hill and speed work session , just over 900 miles , including treadmill =6 miles , garmin less runs =, 30 miles ,, just over last years total ,,
  • Options
    Happy birthday TD, hope u have a lovely day. You're in the next bracket for VLM GFA so no need to bust you balls in Paris to get into London2015.

Happy new year Kiwis and Aussies

Happy new year everyone else in advance.

LA I will reply to your PM later. Being nagged out the front door by the family.

Just did my last 2013 run, 11 miles hilly tempo at m.p at 7.06mm. I've racked up the miles over Xmas but don't feel any lighter.

Total KM count for 2013= 2500.92km
  • Options

Happy Birthday TD!

• Options

Happy new year folks!!  Only 45 mins til midnight and I'm heading to bed.image 

• Options

Hi folks. Sad to report I failed to fit in those last 594kms today and only managed a measley 22.3kms. Running report here

Was lovely having Maus MTB'ing alongside me, looking rather fetching in her... but I digress.

I know you'd all be disappointed if I didn't make you a graph. So here's my annual mileage, shown by months, for the last 7 years. Needless to say, all my marathon PBs tightly correspond with my highest mileage. The only thing these graphs don't show is how much extra training I've been doing by cycling.

Wishing you all a fabulous 2014. Personally speaking, this has been the hardest year of my life but I am confident that good things will come for those who plan for the future and who aren't afraid to work towards their dreams. So I say, be good dreamers people and we'll all meet up for hugs and running in Paris.

/members/images/345267/Gallery/TD_Running_Totals_2007-2013.jpg

• Options

Happy Birthday TD, Happy New year all.

Glad to hear ATM is on the mend (hopefully in time for GWR).

anyway enough frivolities, this is a running forum imageimageimageimage ...Father Christmas brought my better half a new Garmin 220 with the heart rate monitor. I already use the 310XT but never bothered using the heart rate stuff. TD said a while back thats like running with your hands chopped off or something like that....so taking his advice we are now looking for advice on how to run to heart rate zones.

Our training plan for each week is 1 six miler, easy pace, 1 six miler threshold , 1 interval session with 4 x 400 metre sprints and the standard long weekend run which builds in miles each week.... did 12 last Saturday. Pace taken from VDOT calculator.

My missus has been running everything too hard based on her heart rate zone readings......we have set maximum based on an interval session and resting rate (170 and 50) but she seems to be doing everything at about 85 - 90 percent of that.

any advice on heart rate zones or should we just stick to pace and the plan?

Enjoy your evening, see you in 2014 - it's going to be a good one. 

Ken 

• Options

Ken - heart rate training all stems from knowing (or having a good approximation of) your maximum heart rates. Without that, the percentages aren't so meaningful and don't trust averages as people can wildly differ from them. You can use a search engine to find out how to do your own MHR self tests. I like www.duckduckrun.com as they don't do invasive tracking like other search monsters.

Happy to answer other questions as you go along image  How are you liking your FR220?

• Options

Just added up my yearly total - not the mega miles of some on this thread - at 670M however when compared to 2011 - 69M and 2012 - 160M I'm fairly chuffed with what I've achieved this year... and by the looks of the training totals for Paris and beyond, hopefully this trend will continue (maybe not at the same trajectory though!)

Happy New Year to all (and happy birthday TD)!

• Options

I'll take a look at that TD, just basing it on maximum efforts up to now.

Garmin 220 is superb and wellworth the outlay. It does everything a running watch should do, highly recommended. 

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Tricky - Happy Birthday, mate. 2014 will be your year image (Glad the avatar is back image )

1831 km for me - my most ever.

Here's to 2014, looking forward to seeing as many of you as possible at the Arc or Corcoran's image

• Options

1000.00 K for 2013. down 30% on 2012, but I 'only' ran one marathon this year. And yes, a lot of poncing around on my bike and in my wetsuit.

Wishing you all a happy and healthy 2014.

• Options

Can't compete with these mileages ! But like Simon I spend most my time in a wetsuit or on a bike, oh and 3 months out recovering from broken collar bone and punctured lung thanks to some muppet in a car... Let's hope 2014 is a little less eventful. Enjoy the celebrations and have a great new year image 

• Options

2535 km for the year - happy with that, a tad higher than last year and hopefully a tad lower than next year image

Have a Happy New Year everyone.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

As we say here: gelukkige oudjaar. Have a great new years eve all!!

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

1789.4 k for me. Have a Happy New Year , when it comes, all. Party time! image

• Options

1750 miles for me this year! happy new year!

• Options

Ran 0.623 per cent of the distance from the earth to the moon this year. Would have been nice to round it up to 0.63, but I'm not going to grumble image

Happy new year all image