Options

Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

Why would you say "Lucky Old Year" Emmy. Surely it is Gelukkige Nieuwejaar? Puzzled but would bow to your better knowledge of Dutch/ flemish culture. Any list geek want to make a league table of kilometrage for us?

• Options

1027 miles / 1652 km for me this year, more than double what I have previously run in a year.

Really pleased to have run consistantly throughtout the year as I normally lose all motivation after completing my main race of the year.  I have certainly seen I vast improvement in my fitness and times just on the amount of miles I've completed this year.

Here's too another good running year next year.

• Options

Happy New Year threadies. Wishing joy, PBs and injury avoidance all round. image

• Options

Happy new year everyone and thanks for all the advice (especially ATM for the Marathon guidance, has been VERY useful!!)...general consensus is to rein in it a bit and focus on the training which i'll take on board...no point walking before i can...erm..run...

Intrigued to see others having trouble running slowly on the long runs...think i'll make a conscious effort to slow down on my next one.

Was very happy with my first proper year of running with stats (according to Nike Plus :S)  of 122 hours 45 mins of running, 904.85 miles, 134,559 calories and an average pace of 8mins 8 seconds per mile...
    just slightly gutted it took me till i was in my early 30s realise how much i liked running and sort myself out  - turns out running is a much better addiction than the cigarettes i had before, who'd have thunked it?? image

Onwards to 2014 and Paris...image

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    Happy New Year
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    You re doing fine , makeyw. It took lots of us much longer to get off the couch...image

Are you up, list fairy? What about a New Year s ..... list! Time for anyone considering saying hello to...say hello?

Still on the injury bench, here, but a trot is in sight.

And Happy New Year!
  • Options

Morning all, and Happy New Year. First race of the year for me this morning. Brix - if you're around I'll be the one hanging around at the start in a stylish blue plastic Paris rain poncho - come and say hello.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Morning all! Happy new year!

Tricky-Dicky wrote (see)

Why would you say "Lucky Old Year" Emmy. Surely it is Gelukkige Nieuwejaar? Puzzled but would bow to your better knowledge of Dutch/ flemish culture. Any list geek want to make a league table of kilometrage for us?

It's what I was hearing as I walked through the door at friends. They said you can wish a happy New Year's Eve and then from midnight it's beste wensen and gelukkige nieuwejaar. I thought it was weird too... But we were in Herentals - where children get huge amounts of chocolate and money for singing. My friends had 350 kids coming to their door to sing

• Options

Culture. When collective weirdness seeps out. Might just might start my running year with a bike ride. Hope you are all feeling OK out there. Am hugely impressed with those who have already trained or even raced.

• Options

Good luck or well done to all those doing Jan 1st races, you nuttersimage

My stats say that I ran 1127.75 miles last year, in 168 runs in a dreadful average time of 10.38 mmp. On the plus side my elevation was 18978 metres, so that's like running up Snowdonia using the Llanberis path 34.7 times.

Rest day (and work) for me today, but I did 9 miles with lots of tempo yesterday. Speed slowly creeping up.

Anyone having trouble with the Jantastic website? It seems to have a million bugs

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Well done on some fantastic running!

Benign - what bugs are you encountering? Email the tech bods and they'll sort it. I know that they had a few issues with slow response times as lots of people were hitting the site at the same time.

• Options

Happy birthday TD.  

no marathon for me this year, but... I've signed up for two sprint triathlons: one in Poland and one in London. Planning on getting married this year and to create a sibbling for lil' Tigger. So busy busy year ahead

i wish you a good year with no injuries but plenty PBs and loads of joyous running/biking/swimming

• Options

Hi all,

I've no idea where I would be at kms wise this year.. but thinking at least 20 - 30km per week.. so i'll go win 20.. so 1040.  This year I'm hoping to crack 1500.image

I started 2014 with a slow 8km this morning. I was supposed to do 1.6km fast, 4.8km slow, and 1.6km slow... but it was all slow. My legs were just in slow mode.. but I did run the whole way and it wasn't too slow.. so all good! image  We went out last night to the mess where we live (we live on a military base), and it was great fun. I was the designated driver, and felt so good this morning running without any sort of hangover.. I then had to work for 8 hours.. so very happy not to be feeling seedy!

Tomorrow I'm doing something I'm VERY nervous about!  I am flying from Darwin - Sydney with 3 x children (just over 4 hours), and then catching 2 x trains to my parents house.. so about 7 hours travel - with connections could take forever! LOL   I have told the kids it's a good practice for Europe.. since some days we are travelling lots (thinking - train from Venice - Wengen, Switzerland, and a few days later from Wengen to Paris)... but anyhow please think positive thoughts when I am flying and they are being trying!  image  I just set my alarm for 6am so I can run to the shop before my hubby heads to work and stock up on plane/train food because we aren't provided with meals on Virgin and I refuse to buy their crap! 

Ohh also almost forgot.. i signed up for 8 week Wholelife Challenge (from 11 Jan - 8 Mar) and here is a list of what we can eat if anyone is interested.. i am doing it as a beginner level as I think that's more realistic for myself and my family (so we're allowed quinoa, brown rice etc).. :-

Grains, Starches, Corn & Soy

YES: Sweet potatoes, yams, brown rice, quinoa, amaranth, and buckwheat, wild rice, as well as corn and other whole grains.

NO (lose 1 point for): Any bread, white rice, pasta, starchy potatoes (white, yellow, or purple interior), or baked goods. No soy.

VEGETARIANS: Same rules apply.

Sugar

YES: Sugar as an added ingredient to SAVORY (not dessert) foods, e.g. marinara sauce, canned soups, broths, etc., is allowed. Sugar to normally sweeten coffee or tea is allowed. Stevia or xylitol as a sweetener is allowed.

NO (lose 1 point for): Any candy, dessert, baked good, "dessert" style sweetened coffee drinks, hot or cold (e.g. coffee drinks with syrups, caramel, blended and iced coffee drinks).

Dairy

YES: Butter, fermented dairy (yogurt, kefir, etc).

NO (lose 1 point for): Any milk, cheese, sour cream, or other dairy products.

Alcohol

YES: Kombucha, 1 glass of wine or spirits permitted per DAY. Cooking with alcohol permitted.

NO (lose 1 point for): Any beer, or more than 1 glass of wine or spirits in a day.

Soda & Juice

YES: Vegetable juice, fruit puree (blended fruits containing all the pulp).

NO (lose 1 point for): Any soda, or fruit juice.

Artificial Ingredient

YES: Any artificial ingredients "2% or less" (as stated in a list of ingredients on packaging), xanthan gum, and guar gum.

NO (lose 1 point for): Any artificial ingredient.

So will let you all know how we go... I have just created a blog to record it all, as well as my marathon training.. so hope I can keep up with it!

• Options

Happy new year everyone. Think it's the only time I'll beat any of you across the line!!(we're 8hours ahead!)

Here's wishing us all a year full of speedy times and no injuries. 

Anybody done a run organised by F3, especially the April one in Windsor? Any good?

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi Charlie. Can you give us the URL? I know a lot of the Windsor/ surrey races but haven't heard of F3

• Options

Good luck with the travelling RachMinAus. I know how you feel about travelling with young children. One of my first trips with mine was a week in London. They were 6 and 3 at the time, so basically no help. Juggling the two of them and 3 airports, tubes plus lugguage was fun. But they are so used with travelling no they look after me!image 

abstained from celebrations last night, but today having plenty of coffee laced with baileys which I'm afraid, is not doing my intolerances any favours. Ooops..... Maybe have to be a non run day tomorrowimage

• Options

3K done. Well, it's a start...

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I have walked up and down stairs a few times....

• Options

Rach - you're activating my train travel nerd antennae - Venice to Switzerland is a fab route. Basically all trains in Switzerland are worth a go.

Today's race was one of those 'character-building' experiences. Howling, freezing wind and rain, no feeling in toes from km 3. Still, that's one on the clock for 2014 image . Actually looking forward to some long slow mileage now. Which is just as well.

• Options

Happy New Year everybody!

20.5km LSR to start the year for me. 

It was a first for 2 reasons: my first run sans TD in Belgium (which guaranteed a small diversion when I got lost…) and the first where I've been able to keep my heart rate under 160bpm comfortably. I'd love to think the weeks of base-building are paying off, but really I think it's just the fact that there are fewer steep hills here.

One thing that hasn't changed is my terror of bike riding. I didn't fall off yesterday, so I guess that's progress. Promise me it will get fun one day? image

• Options

well done Da Maus

• Options

Christmas stuff away for another year, 2014 calendar up, spring training programme in full swing - bring it on *bounce bounce* image

• Options

Belated birthday wishes TD and belated New year wish to one and all. Lets look forward to a good 2014.

14 miles on its way, it wont be quick..

• Options

Oh well Christmas decorations are down, house back to normal Ahead of going back to work tomorrow. 

My new running log has been started, and a month plan filled in...... Now to stick to it!  

• Options
    10 miles to work tempo, took a while to get into 3rd gear. Still recovering from the abuse of NYE. Let'th the Spring'th marathon cometh
  • Options
    To run twice or not to run twice , that is the question ?

Had a 9km race this morning but my plan incorporates a midweek MPLR , do I do the full 12mile later or can I include this mornings total and only do another 6.5

This mornings race was a hard run in 39:28 which would have given me a 44:00ish 10km ,, my pb for a 10km is 47:57 but I've not ran a 10km in over 14 months so I've potentially taken four mins off my previous PB image

In fact can I just forget about running later and celebrate my PB instead ???
  • Options

Getting very frustrated... All going so well until after my LR on Sunday I felt a shooting pain on my right knee cap when going downstairs (but not up) and turning. So rested it up until today (felt perfectly normal again since Tuesday night) but about a km in felt a similar pain, so decided to turn back at risk of doing more damage.

But since I've come back, I've felt fine walking. Sounds like a typical case of runners knee, but now this week feels like a write off. Up to a comfortable 14 miles in training and goal still remains just being able to cross the finish line, but if I'm not able to get back into the swing of things next week I may well lose the plot! image

• Options

Happy New Year everyone!

RR - sorry to have missed you in your parisian stylish poncho yesterday. I was cowering in the cafe the whole time before the race until Mr Brix shoved me out into the rain. The weather was truely offensive but the upshot of that was that I was so desperate to get home and dry I managed a very small PB! Great fun. How did you get on?