Options

Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

Good morning everyone. Merry after-Christmas

• Options

Wi - happy after-birthday image

Emmy - A Boyska scooter? Need pics

Rach - I was with it until it got to the bit where you have to do a Marine Corps fitness test image Maybe we should do something like that here - points for miles run, points for eating your five a day, points off for alcohol etc...

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Weedy - that sounds a fun idea! I wonder how many negative points some of us would be on by Paris?

Pics and a video will  be on Facebook during this evening. I apologise already for my squealing like a girlimage

• Options
    Afternoon everyone thanks for all the great advice.

Jimbob - I will do the parkrun soon and see how it goes.

Emmy- I know your right and I will try and slow down maybe when I get up to 16 miles I will slow down naturally although I probably won't and will learn the hard way.
  • Options

hi all, not doing paris this time, hasnt suited me since 2009! but enjoyed chatting with people on here so just wanted to say hello!

• Options

hope everyone had a good xmas image I'm sure I have eaten and drank too much but what the hell ! Training going well with 7 miles on Boxing Day, 10 miles on the turbo trainer yesterday followed by my longest run to date at 14 miles, not sure of exact time as garmin was not charged !  but roughly 1.55. Last couple of miles felt tough and at this stage finding it hard to see how I could do another 12 on top of that but hopefully the training program (first) will see me through image anybody else using 'first' as a plan? 

• Options

Lol Weedy I've been talking to a girlfriend who runs a crossfit gym and since we're doing the challenge with her team I can do a run assessment at the start and end and just measure the improvement.  So much better!!  it couod be interesting what points everyone would get up to. image.

• Options
    Anyone else also on the porridge on this fine morn?
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Rach- I feel a plan forming!

jimbob - I've had my porridge and just sorting the dog out before our run. He's currently snoring at my feet so I may need to rustle his leads a little!

• Options

Ran 17 miles yesterday (incl. park run) reaching target of 2013 miles in the same year.  Can now rest until New Year. Will be formally kicking off my training from 6th Jan which means being strict about what I eat and drink.

• Options
    Emmy, I'm still Psyching myself up for the morning frost. I don't know what kind of workout I'm having today, just get out and see.
  • Options
    Andy, fantastic mileage. That's shitloads
  • Options
    Damn, for fun I just checked my 2013 mileage. Now up to 1530. Why did I have to convert it to km? Now it's at 2462. 38k before 2014? (gulp)
  • Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    Hi John, why not join us in 2015 ?

Merry Christmas. It's seems like Christmas on here everyday. Lots of goodwill, giving (advice), some booze, and jokes out of crackers. We even have our version of sharades.

BMMMMM, giving advice before your first marathon ? Explaining to someone else often helps put your own ideas in place. It's surprising how some basic information can create debates. It's good for novices and experienced runners alike.
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

'morning, all and good luck to anyone going out for a lsr. Lucky dogs! image

Re-hello, wi. When are you coming back to Paris with us?  Are you still running? Any marathons planned in Poland?

And who do I see? Murpski! How are you? How's life as a married man? Do you still do Dublin?

Makeyw, I 've sent you some stuff ...but it might be in your spam folder.

Apologies for the lack of running-related stuff but I'm still on the bench. going out for a brisk walk, though, so haven't given up hope on getting back to The Plan   soon...

• Options

Morning all. 4th parkrun in 2 weeks completed yesterday, now fuelling up for a 12 miler. Trying not to freak out at all the mileage monsters out there and have to keep reminding myself I'm aiming for a race in June, not April. If I talk about doing 20 milers too soon, will someone please sit on me?

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Pig Pile !!!!!! image ( too soon?)

We're visiting pals today, so shifting LSR to tomorrow. Could be interesting as I feel totally out of shape. Mind you pear shaped is still as shape, isn't it?

ATM. - not too brisk, I hope?

• Options

Happy Happy Happy imageimage

19 mile LSR(can I add. V for very in there?!) done. Considering  my last LSR was more than six weeks ago, and a mere 12 miles, and I have hardly been running due to   illness,  I am happy with 19 very slow ones! image

ATM - take it easy! 

Good luck to everyone else out, hope the weather is good to you.

Now BREAKFAST!! Hungry. 

• Options

Look at the disorderly queue forming to sit on RR....

Day off for me.  I'm going to walk into town...a course of action which I will instantly regret when I arrive...

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    Kaz, well done on your Vlsr.image
  • Options

I'll swap your walk WTQ with my trip to Tesco. I am regretting it already and I haven't even left yet. Maybe I should of run the 19 miles there and got everyone else to meet me! image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Kaz - you legend!

RR- its a marathon not a raceimageyou'll be grand come June!

WTQ - good luck for you walk

Orbutt -  i feel your pain. I keep having to remind myself that I'm on a lower mileage week and have 2 marathons next weekend... and that's the reason for my laziness... not just because I'm lazyimage

• Options

Jimbob so that's a 5k and a 20 mile lsr and your done for 2500k, what a New Years celebration if could manage to fit this in?

• Options
    Yeah just got back.21k too slippery for a meaningful tempo run, and frankly I'm a bit tired after Fridays long run so couldn't be arsed to do any more. 17k to go, will it happen?????image
  • Options

hello ATM!! yes its me. Just back from a 16mile LSR. training for Barcelona. Life is good. 3 years and still married!!! Little girl, Alexandra, on the scene too so its been a good year!!

• Options

PC, Paris 2015 will hopefully suit. it was my first marathon in 2009 and i loved it ( afterwards of course!!) and i would love another crack at it!

• Options

Greetings all.  Hoping for a little advice.  Paris would be my third marathon, but I'm really having difficulty training this time.  All the excitement I felt training for the first two is totally gone, my motivation level is zero and I havent' enjoyed a run in weeks.

Additionally, on my last two runs I have had very bad pain in both calf muscles, my left ankle and my left hip.  It was so bad that I quit both runs about halfway through (in my three years of running I had never quit a run of any distance before).  I experienced similar calf pain when I first started running, but as I got in better shape it went away, and hasn't been a problem for at least two years.  I will start stretching more and using the foam roller more, which I hope will help.  On both runs I tried to run through the pain (when I had this pain in the past, it would loosen up if I ran long enough) but it never subsided.  Now my calves are sore even when Im walking.

Must admit I am seriously considering taking some time off and not running until I just want to run for the sake of running, which would probably mean missing Paris.

I am also considering just taking a few days or a week off to let my legs/calves rest.  That would mean missing my long run today (after already missing half of a 10 miler thursday).  The LSR today is 15m on P&D schedule.  If I skip it, how do I proceed to train for the marathon?  Should I find a completely new plan?  Should I continue as if I never missed it?  Should I just tweak it?

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Congratulations, Daddy Murpskiimage This year's thread will be represented at Barcelona .You may have to pretend you don't have anything to do with them...

Lawyeraaron, I'm so glad you asked that ' plan' question. I'm in the same -ish boat and would like advice on re-starting, too. You saved me having to formulate a sensible question..

On the calves and being' scunnered' ( 'Goin' all Scottish on you here...*, have had a look at your trigger points? Might the calf problem have its source further up the leg? Have you really got into those hamstrings, your glutes? What about a sports massage to get you started on a good massage/stretching regime? a few days off running and into some conditioning 'til your spirits lift a bit?

And, yes please, advice on where/how to restart after a break at this stage..image

• Options

The advice generally for coming back from injury is usually to go back to wherever you  were before the injury, or maybe even a step back. The golden rule seems to be not to try and catch up to where you should be - better to arrive at the start line a bit undertrained but in one piece, than blow it all by overdoing things and not getting there at all. This is, of course the sort of sensible advice everyone, including me, routinely ignores image.

• Options

ATM and Laweraaron -with 14 weeks to go, you could look for a 12 week plan that suits?

An easy 10k for me today, leaving 9k to go in 2 days. What could possibly go wrong??..