Options

Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

Ooh 3rd lady in parkrun this morning, very chuffed with that! image

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Yay Jo - result. Assuming, of course, there were more than 3 ladies thereimage

• Options
    Benign:totally agree,indoor running and cycling is mind numbing.Its my desperation to be as fit as possible for Paris that is driving me on.

Orbutt:I'm also a heavy sweater,it's incredible the amount of salt on my skin after a long run.I use nuun aswell.

I managed 1:45 on the bike in the gym at average 154 bpm,77% of my Running MHR.Fitness wise I felt fine but my legs were feeling sore around my hamstrings
  • Options

Well done Jo! Was that in Aberdeen?

Rain stopped so I went out for 16 miles. Felt good, despite the wind, so I carried on and did 20. That's 3 of the little blighters bagged. Took my first gel much earlier than usual and it seemed to make a big difference to my energy levels.

• Options

Well done Mr MacPerky image

17 miles for me, dodging fallen trees, branches, hailstones...sigh....

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

I can't find the latest Runners' List image Can anyone post it? It would be nice to know what kind of bar bill the first wo(man) home is facing...image

• Options

Cross trainer at the gym for me, bike in garage later on. No running for two weeks, physio booked again for Monday. Calf feels like it's worse after two runs of 4.5 miles this week. I hate being injured, it puts a dark cloud over everything. Thinking of going for the White Peak Marathon in May, assuming the two week lay off will fix the calf, I can train a bit after that for Paris and then ramp it up a bit after for a decent go at the White Peak. 

Apart from heat/icing, ibuprofen, heel raises what else can I do for a grade I calf tear? I'm desperate to at least be able to get to the start line in Paris and run it, even if it's not the sub four that was on the cards two weeks ago?

• Options

Stuchbury  - my physio used shockwave treatment rather than ultrasound, in her view and mine now it had faster results, certainly helped me. Where you based ? 

• Options

Orbutt - a few more, although I must admit that it wasn't a pb so more to do with who turned up!

Simon - aye, the 'deen!

• Options

18 windy, tough miles this morning in 2:45ish. ouch. Tried out the water backpack and liked it, actually. Couldn't fell it for most of the run and had handy gel pockets too.  We played some excellent games along the way- songs with colours in and film titles with names in. Kept us going for ages and meant that every so often someone would think of another one! Anyone else play games to entertain along the way?

stuchbury, sorry to hear about your calf. Hope you can join us for Paris.

10k race tomorrow with Mr KS, hooray! Emmy, Weedy and all you other back to back long runners-I can't understand how you do it. Last thing I want to do right now is go and race tomorrow! It does mean we can sit in tonight and watch Breaking Bad, though. Just about to start season 3-no spoilers please!

• Options

I'm in Aylesbury Hatter 

• Options

18 miles in 2:45 KS?  Blimey girl, hold onto that and you're going to leave 4 hours for dust!  I did 17 in 2:56 and half of that was at MP + 10% !

• Options

Stuchbury - too far my physio works out if stratford upon Avon. See if your physio can offer shockwave as I said it worked for me. Good luck and keep the faith. 

• Options

YM I got the numbers the wrong way round-2:54! Thought it was a bit quick... 8miles in 1:06. Eek. We did do the first 5M sub 9 though, rookie error. It was downhill and we had a bit of tailwind!

bring on Silverstone-what time are you aiming for?

• Options

Well done Jema, Jo,

Survived Peppa Pig. And he only tried to storm the stage twice. Was quite good fun really. Altho the second half took a surreal turn when a potato with a Mexican accent came on stage. Talking animals I get, Mexican potatoes I don't.

You're going to a jazz club voluntarily TD? You must really love that girl to do that for her.

Film titles with names in Suze? Reckon Betty Blue has to be in the top 10.  Hmmm, Lawrence of Arabia, Amadeus, JFK, Life of Brian. Does Scarface count? Dr Strangelove, Annie Hall, Cool Hand Luke, Wall E. Ferris Bueller's Day off. Agh, that's 11. Do I ditch Wall E or Ferris Bueller?

• Options

Thanks Hatter, could I ask how much it cost? Anyone got a recommendation for a foam roller.. Are the more expensive ones better?

• Options

We mined the Disney seam pretty hard, though we didn't say Pocahontas as or Mulan. Run brain. Yes, Scarface counts - we decided nicknames were fine, which allowed Maverick and Braveheart,ha. Good call on the Betty Blue!

• Options

The Mexican potato! Here's my friend and yours... Mr Potato! He's my favourite Peppa Pig character, we watch a lot of Peppa in our house!

• Options

My favourite was The assassination of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford, which took me about a mile and a half to say!

i have a soft spot for little brother George. He's so little.

• Options

2:54 is still bloody good doing!

I am undecided about Silverstone yet...I am still slightly injured, although today's run was a lot more comfortable.  I have 20 miles with 14 @ MP to navigate on Friday and I'll see how I feel after that.  If I am feeling wonky I'll test my MP again, if I'm feeling good I'll have a shot at smacking the arse out of it and see what happens.  I have a bit of a mental block about HMs, they don't usually go well for me...

• Options

stuchbury - £40 a session, I needed two sessions, Also bought a foam roller off amazon for £10 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Physique-Foam-Roller-45cm-Round/dp/B003QIMPYC/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1392493140&sr=8-6&keywords=Foam+roller

18 tomorrow longest since I strained mine 4 weeks ago fingers crossed ! 

• Options

Good luck Hatter! Purchasing roller tomorrow, will ask physio on Monday, £40 per go not too bad if you're back running those sort of distances. My last LSR was 16 three weeks ago, then a pB half two weeks ago and the calf problem on a recovery run two days later.. I reckon I'll be ok if I give it two full weeks of no running and then build up from 14ish, just enough time I reckon.

• Options
    LloydRLloydR ✭✭✭

Been lurking for a while in the background but have read the discussions on energy gels and hydration with interest. Great reading. Paris is my first marathon and I have lots to learn!

Have to say that the info notes from ATM are excellent and the videos links posted recently were inspiring. Now, just need to shift this nagging groin strain and get back to full training.

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Hi Lloyd and welcome. Paris is a brilliant first marathon, it was mine. 

Good luck with shifting the groin injury - Eggy will sympathise. 

50 days! Getting exciting image

• Options

High Lloyd welcome to the newbie / first marathon club ! There is a few if us. 

Does anyone know if there is a list of travel arrangements anywhere ? Interesting to see where / how/ when people are traveling.

I'm on Eurostar out of London Friday back early Sunday (wish I had booked another day now ) staying in les invalided 

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Hatter - are you sure you're travelling back early Sunday? That would be unfortunate!

Us, flying Saturday returning Monday

• Options

Orbutt - fast but not that fast ! good spot !! Actually meant early evening 

• Options

Welcome Lloyd, it's my first too!

hope everyone's weekend running has been productive So far!

My training plan called for 50mins easy today. However me and my co Event Director decided on the 40 mile trip to Ashton Court As ours was cancelled. Its an out and back course - with the out being entirely uphill. My friend who had run it before said the hill 'wasn't that bad' so I set out on a PB hunt. I've been trying desperately to break 25mins and hoped this would be the week.

Turns out he lied! The hill was a killer! However, I managed to be really rapid all the way back. Faster than I've ever run thanks to the downhill and set a 1m and 1k PB. But the elusive sub 25 5k is still out of reach! Next time, I hope, with the aid of a flatter course. Due to regular volunteering duties, Sunday races and other time commitments I've not had the opportunity to run a PB friemdly course at race pace for a while and it's starting to be a monkey on my back! Here's the activity from Garmin Showing the lovely hill.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/445380359

I then topped up with another 3 slow recovery miles to make up the mileage for the workout.

First ever 20 miler for me tomorrow! Excited and terrified in equal measure! Route planned and ready to go!

• Options

Hi all.

Those videos were fab.  Only 50 days.  Wimped out of planned 20 miles today because of weather but forecast for tomorrow looks lovely and not windy at all, so might run up to past Blackpool and back to Lytham along the prom.  I'm really wishing I could do the Blackpool half on 23rd with Orbut and Jo, would be great to say hi, but it's my son's 10th party and the kids are already a little concerned at me disappearing to Paris for 5 nights.

Have a great Sunday!