Options

Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

Weedy, the Trail des 3 Rocs is 29 May and I'm joining 1T for it.  Also could you change 21 June to TMW - Trail Marathon Wales.  Ta muchly!

Eggy, good to hear you are on the mend.

Great running from everyone, these LSRs are impressive. So are the back to backs, enjoy your cutback D and RR.

• Options

ATM - I'm not injured (well apart from the broken groin thing), I'm diseased! More of a contamination chamber required than a bench.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

I'll get me hazmat suit...

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Thanks everyone. Definitely still in shock here, delighted doesn't even cover it ATM image

Eggy - good to hear you're feeling a bit better. Fingers crossed for further meal retention throughout the day.

Thanks for pointing me to the right Corcorans. I looked it up on Google maps and then thought I'd have a look at street level using Street View. Apologies if you already knew this but you can only blinkin' well walk into the place and have a virtual poke around! 

/members/images/448713/Gallery/corcorans.jpg

I've been upstairs, down to the loos - I all but had a beer in there image

How cool is that? Although it's a bit worrying too. I've seen the Google car travelling the streets but if I don't want to wake up one morning to find a Google film crew wandering round my house image

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

We'll be downstairs image

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

image I'm really hoping we can get there (I'm sure Roger will be keen too) but it'll all depend on the schedule. At least I know where it is now!

• Options

Malcs - excellent PB - that's amazing! Surely with that you'll be targetting a 3:15 marathon? Blimey, that is great going though, well done on all of your training. 

Ah, and Corocorans - I missed the address and fully intend to be there this year instead of flaking out in the hotel room - which one is it, please, O kind thread people? 

In other news, I got my second trophy in two weeks yesterday! We won the Senior Ladies Team again, woop.  It still counts if we're the only Senior Ladies team in the race, right?

• Options

Yay, nice GP has signed my medical certificate, just adding the words, "clinically detectable", at the suggestion of a GP on the RW form, she explained.  And she didn't charge me £83, because I'm raising money for charity.  Phew.  Always better not to feel bitter about honesty.

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

KS - many thanks and well done yourself, better order that mantlepiece extension!image

It's the Corcorans in St Michel. 

Kirsten - nice £83 avoidance! image

• Options
    Eggyh73 wrote (see)

ATM - I'm not injured (well apart from the broken groin thing), I'm diseased! More of a contamination chamber required than a bench.

I 2nd being diseased and in need of a contamination chamber.

Sorry about the tops being delayed. Will get to them as soon as I've sorted out this death warmed up state.

• Options

Hi everyone, sorry I havent been around for a while!  Whats new?

I am still training for the Paris marathon but have had a few setbacks with colds and minor injuries.  Is there anyone else that is planning on doing a 5 hour plus run on here?

I hope that everyones is well and that the runnings goodimage

• Options

This trip is doomed...... More flight changes.......image

• Options

Oh dear, poor Radar Sal and Eggy, hope you feel better soon. 

mattywarr well done on the mileage, that's great! 

Got news today that my convocation's on the way, hoorah. 

Liversedge Lesley2 welcome back! Sorry to hear about your colds and whatnot, hope you're right as rain again now. I'm in the *whispers* sub 4 or die club but there are definitely 5hour-ers around. 

I have a question: I'm currently looking to expand my exercise horizons as I a) can run for four hours and twenty two minutes without stopping but I can't carry the shopping round the corner and b) need something different to do other than running.  Has anyone got experience with Virgin Active gyms? I've got an induction with the Norwich one on Wednesday. Looks great - pool, classes, gym etc. It's quite pricey though. And I'll have to drop a run during the week to make it worthwhile. And possibly one or two of my two rest days. 

So my overall question is: are gyms worth the extra money? (with a sideline of are Virgin Active gyms worth the extra money?)

Thanks!

kaz1, eep, flight changes. Good ones or not so good ones?

• Options

What is a convocation, exactly?

• Options

Ah. KLL - that is the [marathon entry fee] question! image

It's a PDF document that the organisers prepare and post on the site where you registered, usually a few weeks before the mara.

You will need to print it out and take it to the expo. It's simply a record of your name and marathon number. None of us have any idea: (a) why it exists other than to murder innocent trees; (b) why it is called a "convocation" or (c) what would happen if you didn't have one (though we all know what would happen if we showed up at the expo without one).

Roll with it and fret not! We will all be yelling loud and clear when it is available and how to get to it.

As for Corcoran's - remember we will be downstairs (that is, if it's even big enough to hold us all). One of our number who shall remain nameless missed us simply because he didn't find downstairs (ah, if only he'd needed to pee...).

KS - I guess it depends on what you want to achieve by joining a gym. Personally, they lull me into a false sense of security about the amount of exercise I'm doing and I don't enjoy the atmosphere.

If you just want to do some strength training, buy yourself some weights and find some circuit stuff to do at home. If you're looking for company/motivation/consolidation/improvement, maybe a personal trainer once a week would be a better investment? Or joining a team sport for a bit of fun? Or some other type of class?

So sorry you're ill, RS and Eggy. Get better soon!

• Options
    Liversedge Lesley2 wrote (see)

I am still training for the Paris marathon but have had a few setbacks with colds and minor injuries.  Is there anyone else that is planning on doing a 5 hour plus run on here?

Liversedge Lesley2 wrote (see)

Yes, I'm sure it will be 5hrs plus for me. Weeks off training with injury. It will be my first time and I'm still in love with the idea of just getting round image

• Options

Thanks TB - in my Monday haze I typed convocation when I meant cert! Must have convocations on the brain...

Excellent gym advice too. I am not motivated enough to do weights at home, no matter how well intentioned I am. I did a half hearted plank once in a bid to start the 30 day plank challenge...I also played netball for a couple of years until I realised that  I wasn't particularly good at it, I didn't actually enjoy being in the team (too many politics) and injuries I sustained from it meant I couldn't run. Hmm. I agree about the gym, I hate how stuffy it gets and I also hate being trapped in a room with people, especially ones who bring their coffees in and use the machine right next door to you no matter what you're doing - creepy. I'd go for the pool and the classes, I think. They have a mixture of nice Body Pump/Combat type classes as well as cycle stuff and yoga. I guess I'd pay £7-£9 for a good yoga/Pilates class so £50 a month would be one class + maybe a swim session per week to break even. Oh, and there's a sauna too. 

In unrelated news - last day in the office! Last hour! Woop!

• Options

Hello, is it ok if i join in this forum? I did the London Marathon in 2010 and found the advice and support here really helpful image This is my second marathon and my training has been a bit ..erm relaxed . Only up to 10 miles so far. Oops. Hoping to do it in about 4 and a half hours. I'm thinking about trying sports gels this time as I don't want to carry a sports drink. Any recommendations? 

• Options

Welcome Mike's Sister! The more the merrier. This is a lovely bunch and you'll learn lots of things. Sometimes they'll even be about running.

The experts on nutrition will be along shortly. If you scroll back a few pages, you'll find really interesting info from our resident "running yoda" Tricky Dicky about the amount of carbs you need to take on during a marathon. There's lots of good discussion about how people approach mara fuelling. 

The main brands those on here use are Gu (too goopy for my liking), SIS, Hi-5 and Nuun. The gels are certainly easier to carry than sports drink, but there's an art to getting the wretched packets open whilst running, or even staggering.

Basically, though, try a few different brands on your long runs and see what suits you best. Don't rule out trying real food too, jelly beans, jelly babies, nuts, sultanas, peanut M&Ms...Personally, I feel really ill after too many gels and if you're going to be on your feet for a while (just like me!), the thought of taking about 12 of the things is enough to make you image.

Exciting KS! I imagine you're operating at peak efficiency (just like me!). image

• Options
    Hi Mike's sister! If you have the time, and strong nerves, you'll find a lot of answers by reading this thread from the beginning. Make a cup of coffee and pull up a chair. Some of the stuff is very useful, and the rest you can probably get therapy for later. Another suggestion for eating on the run - if liquid gels don't agree with you, some of us use Shotbloks, which are like cubes of jelly. They take a bit of chewing, but they can be easier on the stomach for some people.

YM - I see Haile's pacing at London this year - why don't you get in touch and see if he needs any help?image
  • Options

Taking on board all the stuff about fuelling on the run etc. Did a 17 mile run today and took a Shot Blok after 30 mins and then every 30 mins after that.  Drank a bottle of Powerade (500ml) and then filled it with water and drank that too (through the run obviously - I'm not a fish).  I think it felt better than last week's run so I think I might stick with this.  Porridge for breakfast 2 hours before and a Snicker half an hour before - weird I know but Snickers really do it for me even though I can barely face something so sweet and sickly first thing in the morning. Obviously the last three miles were still torturous and by the end I had shortened my stride so much I was trotting along like a Geisha.

I'm more of a 5 hour person myself so good to see others although I don't really know what I'm talking about as this is my first one.   I could easily be a 6 hour bod.  Just want to get round really and I'm very excited to be taking part.  At the moment just trying to get to the start line uninjured.

Great to read of everyone else's achievements and sending healing vibes to all ill or injured. Awaiting an emergency dentist appointment myself as I just broke a piece off my tooth whilst scoffing some pork crackling.  May the pork be with me.

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Hi Mike's Sister - watch out for Scott image

Gels are a great idea but give them a go in training  as the last thing you want is stomach issues in the middle of a race (been there, done that image)

There are water stations every 5k, so no real need to carry liquid unless you want to - I do. 

• Options

Oh yes, RR, I forgot the Shotbloks. I tried them once, but they were a bit too "chewy wine gum" for me...I've barely got capacity to smile for a camera at km 35-ish of a marathon, let alone masticate. image

• Options

Hi Mike's sister. Watch out for Scott.

KS - it is fairly obvious that, subconsciously, you yearn to be a triathlete! Why not sign up for the Wee Beastie on 19 July at Loch Lomond. All the coolest dudes and dudettes will be there.

And me, Scott and ATM.

• Options

Simon - I'll be there too, in a supporting capacity. I'll borrow ATM's pom-poms!

Mike's Sister - I agree with Orbutt, you really need to try out any gels or anything else on your remaining longer training runs. Although there is a science to refuelling, such as that which TD explains, there is also the fact everyone I've ever met seems to had issues with something. Be that a specific brand of gels, sports drink etc. Try a few out and see what seems to work for you.

• Options

And watch out for Scott

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Hello, Mike's sister. Welcome to the thread..

Remind us why you're not taking part, Eggy? You can swim! That's a bit o9f an advantage...helterskelter, a couple of real life friends are doing the shorter race so you'd have plenty of company. And I distinctly remember your mother saying she'd consider it...image

I'm experimenting with clifshots , diluted with water, but I'm not running far enough yet to have an opinion on them .SIS gels have been abandoned , after several unfortunate reactions...

• Options

hi mikes sister ,, im scott image

gels ? ive never been a fan of them until this year ,,

previously ive tried

jelly babies = not filling enough - shot bloks= too chewy - water = dull - diluted barley water =reminded me of my grans house when i was five - chocolate =to sweet - sandwiches =honestly? i was bored,- shortbread= too crumbly - custard creams = the cupboards were nearly empty - rich tea biscuits = the cupboards were empty

the thing is ,, until you try things , you wont know what works on the long runs ,, use the time until the marathon to see what works and what doesnt work

good luck and oh avoid anything that needs a tin opener when your out running ,, i ran with a tin of harricot beans once but forgot the tin opener  image

• Options

ATM - I'm planning to give being sensible a try and have banned myself from entering anything else until I'm fully injury free and have been training freely for a few weeks, rather than entering events on a hope I'll be better by the time I need to train for it.

I'll run the Great Edinburgh thingy-me-bob two weeks after Paris, but have nothing planned after that until Coll in August and I have even put that one on the doubtful list just now.

Two reasons really. One I don't want a long term injury due to my stubbornness to keep on training. Secondly I have to admit the last 16/17 months of constant injury niggles with the groin have wiped out my motivation. I think I have to admit I don't enjoy "getting around". If I can't train at what my brain thinks is full effort then it feels like a waste of time.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Good plan, Eggy. * And I will get the pom-poms out. You have months to work on the choreography...*