Options

Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

Hi DV I'm number 31725 running in purple 

cheers 

• Options

Thanks for the list DV - can I add Hayley_hamster and K to the supporters? I have a few other friends who are running it - Sparkes (K is his missus) and no forum Tony but I don't know what their numbers or pens are. It's Tony's first marathon so I think he's erred on the caution side and gone with 4:15 or 4:30. He's got a half mara PB of 1:43 so I reckon he'll do a comfortable sub 4. Jammy git.

Sparkes and I did an excellent run this morning along Marriott's Way (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriott's_Way) from Reepham back to Norwich - about 14 miles. The lovely K dropped us off at Reepham and we ran back. I'd never done that before but it was a great way to do it. The Way is brilliant as well - straight and few roads to cross. I ran to his too which made my total about 16ish although my garmin battery died half way through,boo. Still, licence to eat cake!

How's everyone else? RS, flu any better? Mr KS swears by flat coke. Eggy, are you managing to keep things down?

Weedy -  I didn't see your name on the Paris list. Am I being daft or have I missed something?

• Options

ATM, those photos are great! Not long now, hoorah!

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Smellymelly  don't worry about not finishing. As long as you can get to the start line uninjured then the race will tow you around. 

Honestly with the other runners and the supporters, adrenaline coursing through your veins, you will be on fire. 

Then you will hit 18 miles and it will start to hurt and you'll wonder why on earth you ever signed up for this stupid event, no way will you ever do another -  but no way will you stop. This part of the race is what you are currently training for. This is the mentally tough bit. 

Then you'll see the finish line, which you will cross with a daft grin on your face - - and the magic of the marathon will kick in. Each step you take from the finish will be easier. With every metre that the Arc gets closer, the pains will ease and the troubles will lighten.

Then, Corcorrans to meet your thread buddies - wearing your finishers medal and t-shirt with pride.

I can almost guarantee that by the end of the following week you will have at least committed to, if not entered, another marathon. 

That's because runners are nuts. 

The CBA fairy is just another obstacle in your training -we've all had a visit. 

One last thing, if you think this is bad, wait until taper madness kicks in image

• Options
    Orbutt - a speech so good you had to say it twice , great stuff
  • Options

Dannirr - last year we had a pre-London early evening feed at the Spaghetti House near Trafalgar Square. That worked quite well - they do ordinary pasta and gluten-free, it's easy to get to and there's plenty of room. If anyone's interested, suggest doing the same this year?

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Damn - where did that come from? 

Sorry folks, going mental

• Options

All good thanks TD, just a valuable lesson in looking where I'm going... hopefully no falling flat on my face in Paris!

I'm in the grey pen, 52661... though depending on how training goes, I might try and get in with the sub 4 or die-ers

Also, looks like I just won myself a pair of brooks trainers!! image

• Options

I shall be coming to London to support, so I am up for some pasta the night before and some pep talks...

• Options

Sounds a good idea Running Rodent.

I'm not far from London, and it would be great to meet everyone, pre the trip under the Channel.

• Options

Hi all I run Paris last year with this thread I had a great timeimage. I can see you have got a good crew again this year.The photo gallery looks good.I am in barcelona this year.Hope you all have time.

PS wish I was coming with you .

• Options

Nice tempo run for me tonight, first one I've done in a very long time. Went alright. Quietly pleased. That sort of thing. Although I do notice that I used to be able to run and race my HR over 95%+ MHR without much difficulty. Based on today's feelings, I would have found it hard to push past 92%. So I suspect the next few weeks I am going to be doing a fair bit of LT & VO2Max efforts to sharpen up for the race.

Tell us the story how you go about winning trainers Uisge Jo. Loving the new pics in the Rogue's Gallery. Keep sending them in to ATM please.

• Options
    Running Rodent wrote (see)

Dannirr - last year we had a pre-London early evening feed at the Spaghetti House near Trafalgar Square. That worked quite well - they do ordinary pasta and gluten-free, it's easy to get to and there's plenty of room. If anyone's interested, suggest doing the same this year?

Running Rodent wrote (see)

I'm definitely up for that - just let me know what time to be there!  Early-ish Saturday night I assume?

Nice MP run for me to day - I think the Hoka's are slower than my Vibrams as I had to work a bit harder.  Think I'll stick with the vibrams for London and then back to the Hokas for Comrades.

• Options

It was an Inverness Half / Run4It online comp... looks like the running gods are smiling on me after yesterday!

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Hi Phill in fitter - glad to see you survived Corcorrans. Good luck in Barca, Radar Sal is doing that too, amongst others

Uisge Jo - still up for a team photo before the race on Sunday? I could do with a bit of your luck rubbing off? BTW -I've just looked up your nickname, glad I did I'd have hated to say it wrong - and I would have. 

Pete Sherri - Dannir is in London for VLM so it won't be before Paris. 

• Options

Preferential

-

Red/Rouge
    3156 OO
    3169 The Jimbob
    3537 Lorry Dodger
    4649 Jonny Suttle
    5134 Tricky Dicky
    5583 Roundman
    5816 Roger Reid

Yellow/Jaune
    8073 Clean Leeds Rob
    8144 Chownsie
    8493 Mr RaRa
    8890 CiaronG
    10802 Simon MacPerky
    12047 Malcs

Blue/Bleu
    14377 Kaz1
    14665 Racing Jules
    14915 Jokeybhoy
    16332 Ward6
    17406 Reading Hatter
    19571 Andy W
    19617 Peter O
    19972 agentpenguin

Purple/Violette
    26005 Stewart
    26086 Emmy H
    26090 Whaqatac
    26097 Suzy Martines
    26113 yer_maj
    26220 ATM
    26240 Radar Sal
    26278 Helterskelter
    26347 Orbutt
    26696 Eggyh73
    27359 Manfred
    27496 Keyser Suze
    27535 Lawyeraaron
    28274 PC
    31247 Luke Wordsworth
    31602 Lloyd Richardson
    31725 Hatter 88
    32705 Elizabeth Ellis 3

Green/Vert
    38002 Zeenawarrior
    38246 Wordslinger
    38273 SweatySock
    38340 Emma Goldhawk 2
    38436 Brix
    38959 Steve Hawtin
    39040 Running RaRa
    40429 NGUG
    40742 Scott the Walker

Grey/Grise
    51228 Odie85
    51229 TartanPimpernel
    51317 Defender Ken
    51367 Defender Jo
    51631 thisisnatty
    52142 Dannirr
    52163 BRF
    52193 TinkerBEL
    52661 Uisge Jo
    53233 Benignmummering
    54533 mattywarr

Pink/Rose
    51582 Heroine in a half shell
    58102 Kirsten Lancs Lass
    58106 SmellyMelly
    58270 Classicaldiva
    58329 Harry P
    58339 Ogechi Ughaonu
    58566 Leggy Mountbatten
    58922 DV
    60399 Steve Ayling
    60424 JonnyDisco

Cheerleaders/Flag Wavers
    Mrs Mac
    RR

• Options
    Yes, sorry for any confusion, I was talking about the night before the London marathon, which is the week after Paris. But Pete - check out the race list there are a few pre-Paris races in the south east where threaders will be congregating.
  • Options

I still don't get how on the day one is supposed to maintain not all that much slower than half marathon pace for 26.2 miles.  I feel confident of getting round at a steady plod but not much more, especially after I abandoned P & D as being beyond me, in terms of fitting it all in.

I need to keep reminding myself of race day magic.

• Options

There's more to it than that Kirsten. Some very helpful advice right now is to realise that we are running tired. We do long runs on top of hard training weeks. So if you are running 30kms, it's quite like you are running THE LAST 30kms in the race.

With a taper period (reduced training effort), your muscles, body and mind will become much more energetic (look up "Taper Madness") and relaxed. Plus a good effort on carb-loading in the days before the race, some good sleep etc. That is where the extra ooomph comes from to run the mara. Race Day adrenaline is just a bonus. Don't worry. You'll make it and you'll have some cracking stories to tell on the other side, plus a medal and a t-shirt.

• Options

TD - took your advise about stride length and cadence today and must admit I had the best run I have had in a few weeks image been struggling with speed recently since increasing the mileage and this helped me increase pace by 20 seconds a mile without feeling any additional effort, if anything it felt easier ! 

PS my taper included a week skiing which in hindsight may be Interesting ! 

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Hatter - that's why Tricky is the thread Yoda. Stuff he knows, does he.

• Options

With respect to reducing stride length, there is a point of diminishing returns where if you reduce it too much you'll actually be running in place.  Which would also have the added benefit of making weather immaterial (as long as you start your run indoors) and saving on the cost of a treadmill. Could be onto something here.

• Options

Ah, got you there RR, no worries.

• Options

KS - I'm good thanks. Thankfully just a 24hr lurgy for me.

My legs refused to play nicely tonight. I tried to put a fast session in and felt like I was running on empty for the entirety of the run. Tonight's all out pace was slower than my average pace for the bloody Paris marathon in 2012! Bollocks image

• Options

Eggy - you will still be carrying lurgy- relax!

• Options

kaz - I hope so. That felt like a huge amount of effort for very little gain.

• Options
    KeyserSuze wrote (see)

Weedy -  I didn't see your name on the Paris list. Am I being daft or have I missed something?

No, I just haven't bothered to post my number and pen. Not sure what pen I'll be starting in anyway.

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Weedy - get your number on here poste haste. Doesn't matter about the pen, yet. 

• Options

Orbutt - aye, still up for a photo! I'll be sporting a yellow TeamCF vest if that helps distinguish! No worries about pronunciation... just Jo is fine! have you done the GNW half before? if so, do you know how busy it gets on the way into blackpool... google's giving me an hour door to door, but not sure if i should factor traffic jams into that?